Kemi Products-MoniCurl & MD/DC/VA residents

NayNay

I just had a GREAT experience. As everyone KNOWS I am A PJ!!!I can admit it...now I will move on. MoniCurl inspired me to try the Kemi line. This week I went to visit a guy friend in MD and called the 1-800 KemiLab number and asked if I could pick up some product. I DIDN'T BREAK the PJ pact-my guy friend purchased the items for me /images/graemlins/tongue.gif!!! But let me tell you. THis is an 18 year old AFrican American owned company. I met the 2 owners (father and son) and they are great. If you read the other Kemi post you can see their link and they are based out of Columbia MD. They distribute their products on line & through Sally's and National Liquidators. Now they said their products do not contain Mineral oils or waxes but have a lot of natural ingredients.The ingredient label is very VAGUE and I think that is smart on their part (cut the copying of their products down)! They actually gave me a tour of their facility. They are going to actually start teaching classes and picking hair models so you ladies in the DC area should be down! They are also going to open up a retail store in Columbia MD maybe some more places on the East coast. MoniCurl why does he KNOW you and said he saw your post on Ourhair.com! You are a star Ms. MoniCurl! /images/graemlins/grin.gif He said yeah she had a before and after shot and he asked for some hair links to see if people really liked their products.
Well here is the good part. My guy friend bought the Kemi-Oyl conditioning spray and KemiOyl Shea butter hair pomade NEITHER of which I have tried-I told them I needed something to add moisture to my hair. I will try the products when I wash my hair. Put his SWEET father actually mixed up a batch of a new product for me and gave it to me free. It is coming out in 2003. It is called KemiOyl ProGrow Shea Butter. It is a daily use product. They put it in my hair and my hair IMMEDIATLEY turned darker. My hair was flyaway and dry and this moisturized my hair similiar to JHERI JUICE but with NO residue or buildup. I have been battling dry hair all this winter. I even put some in my guy friend's hair and HIS HAIR darkened. I have not encountered a more moisturizing hair cream. I didn't have a hat on for the last 5 hours and my hair is still SHINY!!!! I don't know how much it will retail for but they have a buyer out of me. I will keep using the daily ProGro and I will see how the other products work when I wash my hair. I purchased the Dudley's PCA moisturizer in the past and can I tell you that my hair is more moisturized with the KemiOyl. Also just FYI Dudley's is another family owned African American business. I am working with over 8 weeks of new growth so I can tell you I was impressed! The reason I am a PJ is because I haven't found a product up to satisfaction for my hair.
Thank you KemiOyl family and thank you MoniCurl for the recommendation....I know I still have to wait and see what happens but I can honestly say that maybe this moisturizer will CURE me of SOME of my PJness!!!!!!!!

daviine

okay NayNay....I was protesting the fact that they don't put the names of the ingredients in their products but you've got me intrigued. Let me know when this new product hits the streets...I may have to give up my personal boycott. I've been looking for a moisturizer....not a lubricant...but a moisturizer.

pebbles

NayNay,
Let me know when this product is out. I definately want to get it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

NayNay

I definitley will let you know how the other products work. Their prices are reasonably too! Like $6.00 per item. We will see how the shea butter works-MoniCurl SWEARS by it and can I tell you ladieez this morning my hair is still shiny. My hair NEVER looks like this with a moisturizer I usually have to put a TON on my hair. My hair was dry and I was shedding little pieces of hair and now it has stopped! The shedding in the winter goes on even with my deep moisturizing conditioner....I have got to find a good one for my hair. The next on my list AFTER February is KeraCare (why didnt I listen to Adrienne in the first place /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)
Last night I sprayed the KemiOyl conditioning spray on my roots and so far I like it! It seems to moisturize and soften. The ProGro didn't seem to soften as much as the spray but my hair is STILL SHINY! YEAH. Before I put a TON of oil sheeners to get the shine! NOW I will use my PROGRO KemiOyl (sounds like Eddy Murphy's Coming to America Soul Glo) /images/graemlins/grin.gif !

Dandy112

I had KemiOyl a long time ago but havent used it in a while, this post is making me consider trying it again. It would be great to know how the other products work as well /images/graemlins/smile.gif

daviine

So you're attributing this shine you got to the porduct that you tried that hasnt come out yet?

So how does the spray feel becasue I need something light but moisturizing for my hair when I wear it out.

NayNay

OK can you tell I am TOO excited about this product. Years (10 years) my friend used the KemiOyl (sell it in Sally's I think) and it has a very distinctive smell. It is okay I ain't in love with it but it isn't TOO irritating or overbearing-I smell it in my hair now. She said the KemiOyl shined her hair. I used it but not too much her hair is different from mine (not as thick and coarse) so I don't remember my experience. But who knows maybe I will try it again. I really haven't given their product line much thought since then.
I will describe each product that I have.
KemiOyl conditioning spray is white and thicker than other liquid sprays. It is kinda sticky when first applied but absorbs into the hair. I sprayed it on my ends & new growth and it seemed to work well. My hair softened from this product.
KemiOyl Shea butter pomade is hard and out of all the products I like the smell the least. Its consistency reminds me of Palmer's Cocoa Butter, but smoother. I will try it when I wash. MoniCurl says to put it on wet hair and let it absorb in naturally. It will turn your hair ashy but her after picture showed curly dark hair.
The ProGrow Daily Moisturizer is white too and it is creamy liquidity. Looser than the ORS carrot creame and it actually squirts out the bottle. I have a 4oz bottle but will ask for a BIGGER one and the EXACT release date! The owners were really proud of this new product. The lights were bad inside and they actually took me outside so my guy friend could see the sheen! My hair absorbed it and SHINED immediately-it was a NOTICEABLE difference!

LondonDiva

You do realise that this thread alone makes we want to put my jacket on and go down the road to the hair shop I tried to hard to pass just to pick up a few Kemi products.

**shakes, shivers, shudders**

That new product sounds really good. I can't wait for it to come out over here. Nay Nay would you mind asking him if it's going to be sold over here in London. We have kemi products already and the black hair business is massive over here too. It's like going to a high school reunion up in there.

NayNay

Of course Ms. LondonDiva I got your back! I was telling him they should get their product out there a lot more. He said that they will try to get their line out more in Black Salons, their own retail stores, and other stores. But it seems like the way they run cuts down the overhead.
Like I said they are going to do hair for free with their products &start teaching classes. They have shampoos, conditioners, and relaxers!
I will be giving the owner a call probably in the new year (I will give him the holiday off /images/graemlins/smirk.gif)and find out all the details. My hair is still SHINING!!!!

kasey

Great review Nay Nay!!!

It sounds like you had a great time while visiting the MD suburbs. Thanks for posting your meeting with the makers of KemiOyl products. I few weeks ago I was at National Wholesale Liquidators and became quite interested in their no-soap shampoo and moist conditioner. I paged SassyGirl about conditioner and the shea butter pomade and she also gave the pomade a thumbs up for being a good moisturizer.

I also visited the company's web site and was further intriqued that the products do not use protein and they are formulated so that all people can shampoo and condition their hair every day without it getting dry and damaged.

Thanks again.

--kc

NayNay

Hey Ladieez
I still love the ProGro product. My hair stayed shiny and moisturized AND I didn't shed little pieces of hair. My shedding minimized and I am reaching almost 3 months without a relaexer.
I used the shea pomade and it is sticky and it took FOREVER for it to absorb into my wet hair, but my hair is shiny and moisturized. I added a little heat to speed the process. So far so good. I don't like the consistency of the product-it is very sticky and to me hard to apply.
I will keep you informed!

Faith

Do any of you know the ingredients in the Kemi oil? All it says is essentials oils..whatever that means.

Monicurl

WOW! How did I miss this post?!

Gee, so Mr. KemiOyl knew about me? LOL--the world just shrank! That's amazing that you got to meet them in person and get a lab sample--I'm soooo jealous!!!!!
I'm glad you had a positive experiece with them and their products.
That's exciting about this new product **slamming my PJ down**, but I am on resriction for another month /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Should you ever go back, please tell them I luvvvv their stuff and PLEASE don't stop making it or change the formula--it doesn't need improving!

Monicurl

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Poster: NayNay
Subject: Re: Kemi Products-MoniCurl &amp; MD/DC/VA residents

Hey Ladieez
I still love the ProGro product. My hair stayed shiny and moisturized AND I didn't shed little pieces of hair. My shedding minimized and I am reaching almost 3 months without a relaexer.
I used the shea pomade and it is sticky and it took FOREVER for it to absorb into my wet hair, but my hair is shiny and moisturized. I added a little heat to speed the process. So far so good. I don't like the consistency of the product-it is very sticky and to me hard to apply.
I will keep you informed!

[/ QUOTE ]

Naynay, try this--while you hair is dry, liquify the pomade in your palms and put thin layers of the pomade on. Lift your hair in sections applying it evenly. It will go on easy without being sticky. THEN wet your hair and style it. Sometimes I do that when I don't have time for it to melt into my hair.

NayNay

MoniCurl!
If you are ever in the area you should consider contacting them. He really liked your web site. I still have to get use to the consistency of the KemiOyl Shea Butter pomade. It really made my hair shine and softer! I do like the ProGro because the consistency is like lotion and much easier to apply. I think I will use their products primarily as my moisturisers. I am on PJ restriction too- until February, but I think I have enough until February. I will be calling them sometimes this month and will let you know when ProGro comes out.
Also someone asked about the ingredients. All I was told is that the products are all natural with no petroleum or mineral oils in it. I think they are keeping the ingredients on the downlow!
Thanks again MoniCurl for the recommendation!

BlkMane

NayNay-

Where do they sell Kemi product in NYC? Give me a few choices in Manhattan if you know of any.

Thanks.

NubianAngel

BLKMane, they sell some kemi products in spanish harlem. Try 116th and third avenue. They have all the goodies in that new beauty supply store.

NayNay

Thanks Nubian!
They also sell it at Nationwide Liquidators. I would try the beauty shop first though BlkMane. People tend to "pick thru the products" and test them and put them back on the shelf.
Ladies I forgot to add at the link Click on the hair &amp; skin products and it is the 3rd product down. VERY Good moisturizer. For $4 try it and Pebs this one is on me! SMILE!

NayNay

OK I used the KemiOyl Shea Butter this weekend and again have a good report. I warmed it up and put it in wet hair in a liquified state (MoniCurl's suggestion). It did wonders!!!! My hair is shiny shiny shiny. I put the ProGrow on the ends for additonal protection. You have to be careful because this product goes a long way. I have thick hair that USUALLY drinks any type of moisturizer, but I used less than 1/2 a dinner spoon and had some left over and cold actually use less. Another good report. YEAH this will end a major part of my PJness!!!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

azul11

dangit now i am itching to buy it. i need a good moisturizer and shinier as well. does this leave your hair feeling greasy? i want to get braids in my hair so after i do my wash and condition do you think i could put a little on my hair to protect it and keep it moisturized when they do my braids. i just want to find something to strengthen the hair and keep it moisturized. goodness its like i have a laundry list of to try items. God bless you all.

garr6982

stooopppppp!

I'm trying to save for a wedding and I don't know if I spend more money on wedding stuff or hair stuff!!! I am going to be broke being a PJ but my hair will be tight /images/graemlins/grin.gif!

Thanks for the tip, I'm buying it now!

I'm so easy!

NayNay

Actually the KemiShea butter is a little heavy. I would recommend meelting it before using it but the ProGro is wonderful and a light hairdressing. It is the texture of lotion and my hair shined from that for DAYS without reapplying it. Initially you will feel some build up but it disappears. I like the Kemi line and it has moisturized my hair moreso than Dudley's PCA or the carrot oil.
Good Luck and don't worry I don't think anyone can be as much of a PJ as I am! SMILE