Keratin Treatment Support Thread

Kitamita

Hey Ladies,

I wanted to ask if the Nutree Botox treatment strips the color from your hair. I am looking to get this done for summer to help my curls pop but have tried keratin which pulled my color. Any experience with this treatment is appreciated. :)

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Hey Ladies,

I wanted to ask if the Nutree Botox treatment strips the color from your hair. I am looking to get this done for summer to help my curls pop but have tried keratin which pulled my color. Any experience with this treatment is appreciated. :)
I do know that they have a formula for chemically treated blonde hair which may be an option

Napp

Ms. Nobody
After I take out these cornrows out I plan on wearing my hair for a little bit. I am going to try a few products out on my natural hair to see if I can get the look that I want without chemicals. If not I think I will go back to bkts but with a better game plan.

Quarterly trims
Bi monthly Olaplex #1 and #2
Weekly Olaplex #3
Deep condition 2x a week
Treat the roots only every 3 months
Little heat usage between treatments

I think that this routine will allow me to get the look and ease of keratin treated hair while maintaining the integrity of my strands.

Not sure if I want to do keratin treatment or a botox I'm still looking at my options. I have a few in mind.

Kitamita

@Colocha

I was wondering how do you usually wear your hair with keratin treatments? I know you recently moved so you might be in a different environment now.

I am going to do a botox treatment tonight. I'm so excited
I would love to hear about your experience with botox. I want to try it.

Napp

Ms. Nobody

This is the hair Botox treatment I used. It is Fox Cosmeticos Botox Mask. I didn't get the accompanying shampoo because it was not available from the seller I used. I purchased my treatment from the keratin store website and it took a week to arrive directly from Brazil.

I shampooed twice with Portier Cacaozinha anti residue shampoo two times leaving on the lather for 10 minutes for the last shampoo before rinsing.
I did not have to use much treatment for my hair. I applied it to damp hair and used very little product. Maybe about 2 ounces. I let it sit for 10 minutes and then blow-dried it and flat ironed it at 410. I did 2 passes only. I applied it this way because I wanted a more aggressive straightening affect. There was smoke when blow-drying but no harsh smells of fumes. Nutree had a harsh smell and fumes that reminded me of a formaldehyde containing keratin treatment. I don't remember the Richee having a smell or fumes. The product was a little oily when flat ironing it in and that made my hair kind of flat.

After rinsing in the shower I cowashed with As I Am Coconut Cowash. My hair did not feel silky or smooth when I was done. It hung a little lower but my hair strand texture stayed pretty much the same. The same thing happened with Richee Botox but not with the Nutree. My hair felt silky with the Nutree. Here is what it looked like with just water in my hair.

Damp_Hair_After_Fox_Botox_50.jpg

I decided to put the same product combo I used on my natural hair and see how the newly Botoxed hair reacted. Here are pictures of it wet and dry. My curl pattern is loosened but my curls are not dilated like with the Nutree treatment if that makes sense. Some of my curls are S waves or have interrupted spirals. Not sure if I like this result.
Wet_Hair_After_Fox_Botox_50.jpg

Dry_Hair_after_Fox_Botox_50.jpg

This is a picture of my natural hair for reference
ABC_Amplify_and_Ion_Volume_Mousse_Fully_Dry_50.jpg

My natural hair looks better IMO. I slightly regret trying to loosen my curl but the first wash after a hair Botox is always the loosest. The curls will tighten as time goes on. With the Nutree Botox tried I've done something drastic after the first washing thinking my hair was too loose and I've damaged it. The Richee proved that with time, the curl pattern will come back. I hope that is the case with this FOX Botox. I will be only doing the roots after this treatment and try to keep up with the treatment for at least a year and see if I can retain length with a botox treatment in.

I ended up putting my hair in a bun out of frustration because the product combo I used flaked. I want to keep it in a bun for a while because I have been in my hair too much lately. Practically washing everyday. Will be doing an Olaplex stand alone treatment next wash and see how my hair fares and if the curls tighten then. Will keep this thread updated on anyone curious to try the Botox.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I shingled my hair with Image Intrakera Leave In and used Vavoom Forming gel. I then broke the cast which made my hair more fluffy.
Shingled_Hair_with_Intrakera_and_Vavoom_50.jpg
After cast was broken. I love the volume I had from this gel though.
Shingled_Hair_with_Intrakera_and_Vavoom_Cast_Broken_50.jpg

OK I wasnt feeling my results. I feel like my curls were too loose. I wanted to go from 4a to 3c but seem to have gone to more 3b/3c. This seems to have a strong effect on the hair and I wish I had applied it per the instructions and rinsed it out before blow drying and flat ironing. I ended up doing a stand alone Olaplex Treatment with No. 1 and 2. and left 2 on for about 30 minutes. There was a little more reversion but my curl pattern is still pretty loose. When I do a touch up I will leave it on just the roots and rinse it out before blowdrying and flat ironing.

After the Olaplex treatment I deep conditioned and styled my hair with Camille Rose coconut leave in and Original Wet Line Gel

Denman_with_CRN_Coconut_LI_and_Wetline_50.jpg

I prefered these results better. My curls are a bit tighter as well. I loved it after I broke the cast

Denman_with_CRN_Coconut_LI_and_Wetline_Cast_Broken_50.jpg

My curls look better now to me. I need to break the gel cast to make my hair look good now or else it looks very flat. As far as how my hair looks I feel satisfied but IDK if I can get the longevity of a wash and go as my natural hair. I'd be ok if I can get at least 4 days but I don't know how to preserve my curls. I usually sleep on my curls in a bonnet and call it a day.

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
@Colocha

I was wondering how do you usually wear your hair with keratin treatments? I know you recently moved so you might be in a different environment now.

I am going to do a botox treatment tonight. I'm so excited
Hey @Napp! I still wear my hair the same. I alternate between blow-dried and flat ironed straight and wet braid and curls.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Just another update. I shingled my hair again and my curl pattern continues to tighten. I have so much shrinkage it looks like I cut my hair.

Shingled_CRN_Coconut_LI_and_Wetline_50.jpg

My hair doesn't have the curl memory that my natural hair had though. I'm having issues preserving my curls for more than 2 days. Denman brush shortens styling time but I don't know how to preserve them. I'm a little frustrated. Would like to only wash 1-2 times a week. Preferably once a week.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Another update:
My hair continues to tighten in curl pattern. I used a new leave in and gel combination and my hair shrunk like crazy. It is beginning to resemble my natural curl in some parts and I don't know how to feel about that. All of that effort just to have hair that looks like my natural hair with no curl memory lol

Shingled_Salon_Line_Babosa_Leave_In_and_Gel_1_2_50.jpg

So far this Botox hasn't given me quicker care or styling time. Shrinkage is pretty bad too. I still need to shingle or use a Denman brush to style my hair for the best result. It responds a little better to some products but not a significant difference. My hair is easily stretched out though which would be great if I wore my hair in straighter styles but not so much for a wash and go gal like myself. A part of me thinks I should just go back to natural but I don't think I can do another big chop unless it was cut in some type of style. IDK what to do at this point but hope my hair continues to shrink so If I decide to transition it will be easier. I will probably just BKT the edges and grow the rest out.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Just another update. My hair seems to have reverted as much as its going to and it is resembling my natural hair at this point. Maybe just a tad looser

Here is my natural hair with Jello Shot and UFD
UFD_and_JS_50.jpg

And here is my hair last week using the same combo
FL_Brush_UFD_and_Eco_Slay_Jello_Shot_2_50.jpg

They look pretty similar to me...

And I'm actually considering doing another treatment instead of going natural! Sigh, IDK what I want to do with my hair anymore. Sometimes I want to cut it all off but I just started to like the way my hair looks in a wash and go.

I'm thinking of trying Brazilian blowout rewind which is considered an "anti aging" treatment. They say it loosens your curl pattern a little and I like that you don't need direct heat for it to work. A review for that will be coming up next!

Kitamita

Just another update. My hair seems to have reverted as much as its going to and it is resembling my natural hair at this point. Maybe just a tad looser

Here is my natural hair with Jello Shot and UFD
View attachment 480647

And here is my hair last week using the same combo
View attachment 480649

They look pretty similar to me...

And I'm actually considering doing another treatment instead of going natural! Sigh, IDK what I want to do with my hair anymore. Sometimes I want to cut it all off but I just started to like the way my hair looks in a wash and go.

I'm thinking of trying Brazilian blowout rewind which is considered an "anti aging" treatment. They say it loosens your curl pattern a little and I like that you don't need direct heat for it to work. A review for that will be coming up next!
Thanks for sharing your reviews. I have been avidly watching your progress.

You may not have been satisfied with your results but your hair looks great to me.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
So the Brazilian Blowout Rewind was a bust. The only thing it did was make my hair smell really good. Otherwise it provided no benefit whatsoever. I’m glad I only bought a sample size.

Im undecided if I want to keep doing the Botox or now. A part of me thinks I should just transition back to natural since the line of demarcation is pretty much non existent. I would like to have more curl memory as well. But a part of me just loves the looser curl the Botox gives.

I’m going to give it a few more months before I decide if I do it again. So far I finally like the length I have with my wash and go and I don’t want to jeprodize my length any more than I have.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Why don't you do them yourself?
I’m not sure if I was using an inferior product, but my results were nothing like at the salon. When I told her which botox I used she agreed. She uses Brazilian products like you.

So far, what has been the best diy botox treatment for you?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I’m not sure if I was using an inferior product, but my results were nothing like at the salon. When I told her which botox I used she agreed. She uses Brazilian products like you.

So far, what has been the best diy botox treatment for you?
So far I like the results of the Nutree Botox the most. If I do another Botox, I’ll use that brand. It lasted the longest and gave me the curl patten I liked.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I've decided to continue botoxing my hair. I will be using Nutree botox, blowdried in and 1 pass at 400 degrees. I don't know when I'll do it though.

I'm currently wearing crochet braids. I might wear crochet braids for a while just to give myself a break. When I botox depends on if my edges dont fall out due to the braids. If my edges stay on I will probably crochet my hair until October. If they fall out, I will botox sometime in July.

AtlantaJJ

I've decided to continue botoxing my hair. I will be using Nutree botox, blowdried in and 1 pass at 400 degrees. I don't know when I'll do it though.

I'm currently wearing crochet braids. I might wear crochet braids for a while just to give myself a break. When I botox depends on if my edges dont fall out due to the braids. If my edges stay on I will probably crochet my hair until October. If they fall out, I will botox sometime in July.
I keep seeing mentions of crochet braids snatching edges!!

Theresamonet

It’s been years since I last BKT’d. Olaplex was not around then. It’s great that there is an option for some reversion now, but I had to BC twice, so I’m done with BKT. But it was great until my hair started to grow out. I had to commit to BKTs like they were relaxers, and that wasn’t what was promised.

Okay… I know what I said. But I’m strongly considering doing another smoothing treatment. My biggest gripe was that the two I did in the past never fully reverted. Well, I’m not sure I care about that anymore. It’s either keratin or a relaxer, and we KNOW a relaxer won’t revert. I don’t recall any other negative aspects (I honestly don’t remember, and didn’t keep good records of my experiences).

I’m trying to decide between these treatments:

1. Avlon Texture Release - This is the one I want to try the most. It seems like the healthiest, and I trust Avlon with making products with type 4 hair in mind. I like that you can use a heat protectant, which is included in the kit. And that it doesn’t require 1000 passes with the flat iron. But it seems like the availability of the products are unreliable. I’m so tired of loving stuff and then it disappears.

2. Softliss Chocolate - Used it before and got good results. Hair didn’t fully revert. It’s been around for a long time, and is easy to purchase. Priced well. I don’t like that you have to rinse after flat ironing. All that heat and you can only keep it for 60 mins.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Okay… I know what I said. But I’m strongly considering doing another smoothing treatment. My biggest gripe was that the two I did in the past never fully reverted. Well, I’m not sure I care about that anymore. It’s either keratin or a relaxer, and we KNOW a relaxer won’t revert. I don’t recall any other negative aspects (I honestly don’t remember, and didn’t keep good records of my experiences).

I’m trying to decide between these treatments:

1. Avlon Texture Release - This is the one I want to try the most. It seems like the healthiest, and I trust Avlon with making products with type 4 hair in mind. I like that you can use a heat protectant, which is included in the kit. And that it doesn’t require 1000 passes with the flat iron. But it seems like the availability of the products are unreliable. I’m so tired of loving stuff and then it disappears.

2. Softliss Chocolate - Used it before and got good results. Hair didn’t fully revert. It’s been around for a long time, and is easy to purchase. Priced well. I don’t like that you have to rinse after flat ironing. All that heat and you can only keep it for 60 mins.
Have you looked into hair Botox?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I have… I don’t see hair Botox making much difference on any of the type 4 reviewers I’ve watched. It seems good for types 2-3.
The Nutree Botox loosened my curl quite a bit but the key is not to fully rinse out the product. I got the best results when I blow dry and flat iron the product in. It made my 4a hair into 3b/3c texture and I was just doing the roots every few months to keep up with it

VinDieselsWifey

Keratin Complex has a new line called KCTexture that leaves your hair curly and requires no heat.

This is the description:

What It Is​

KCTEXTURE is a unique curly keratin treatment designed to enhance and define curly, kinky and coily hair types while restoring essential moisture to the hair.

What It Does​