Keratin Treatment Support Thread

luckiestdestiny

Hello! Has anyone seen Southern Tease's updates on her blog? She even shows how it looks dried w/o curling and explains how soft it feels. This is making me want it even more...but now I don't know which one I want! I better make up my mind by the end of summer/early august because I'm diving in that's all I know.:grin:

girlyprincess23

Hello! Has anyone seen Southern Tease's updates on her blog? She even shows how it looks dried w/o curling and explains how soft it feels. This is making me want it even more...but now I don't know which one I want! I better make up my mind by the end of summer/early august because I'm diving in that's all I know.:grin:

it looks GORGEOUS!!!!

luckiestdestiny

So many names.
So many brands.
It should have its own thread...no?

Let's make a list of links to the brand's website and ingredients if available. You can post and I will add to the original post so it's easier to get the info.

THE KERATIN TREATMENTS

Keratin Complex Smoothing Therapy by Coppola Contains aldehyde (said to be the "safer", more "organic" form of formaldehyde)

Global Keratin Formaldehyde Free, 2%, and 4%

La-Brasiliana

Lasio

Soft-Liss (Formaldehyde free - contains ethyl alcohol)

OK Original Keratin

Agi Max

Simply Smooth by American Culture (Formaldehyde free - contains vanilla extract/vanillin)

Goleshlee Keratin Hair Therapy (Myspace page)

Rejuvenol - Official Site -
More Information

QOD (QOD Max, QOD Red, QOD Gold)

Inoar "Morrocan Brush/Escova Marroquina"
Ingredients: Glicerin, Cetrimonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, C.I. 19140, C.I. 16035, Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone, Keratin, Silica, Fragrance, Water and Formaldeheyde.
Note: This product contains a maximum of 0.2% of Formaldheyde.

THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- It's not cheap
- Requires a lot of heat for the first application up to 450 degrees of heat to seal the keratin into hair
- Some brands contain formaldehyde
- Some aldehydes have low hazard scores according to the Environmental Working Group
- It's temporary
- It's not a relaxer
- It's not for everybody

Which salon did southern tease get her hair done at? I can wish can't I that I could have it done there....
:rolleyes:

hothair

Just wanted to say BKT has not changed my texture much from 4ab to more 4a and it leaves my hair really silky feeling, my hair doesn't feel dry (as it usually does with no product) styling is a lot easier and it DOES have a shine now, I'd recommend to anyone especially naturals with dry hair/ styling issues it works like a texlax without the damage and commitment IMO

MissRissa

so i emailed the noar moroccan treatment people asking about the white clay and cocoa oil and they just sent me the ingredients of all of the items. it's not in the reconstructor, but in the $75 mask that they sell. the only thing is that i may still go with that one because it says you can wash the treatment out same day and not have to wait 3 or 4 days.

sheba1

so i emailed the noar moroccan treatment people asking about the white clay and cocoa oil and they just sent me the ingredients of all of the items. it's not in the reconstructor, but in the $75 mask that they sell. the only thing is that i may still go with that one because it says you can wash the treatment out same day and not have to wait 3 or 4 days.

Thanks Miss Rissa! Also, even though the directions say wash out Global in 2 days, Brittany washes hers after 24 hours. Not same day, but close! :)

sheba1

Hey Naturaline, I can't find any info on that particular brand. I do like what they say on their page; they mention to look for a low/no formaldehyde content but they don't reveal what that content is. I would find out before purchasing. The ratings on the seller look good.

sheba1

Okay so I hope pinkskates is okay with me posting this here. It's in her siggy anyways so I don't think it's a problem. She had BKT done. Why oh why hasn't she started a thread? Or reported her results. The results look GORGEOUS. Where are you PinkSkate?

You can click to see here:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=298845&page=29&highlight=

Wooooooooow. BEAUTIFUL!! Maybe she's waiting for her first wash. Or she could still be recuperating. I'm sure BKTing all that hair by herself was a process!

luckiestdestiny

Wooooooooow. BEAUTIFUL!! Maybe she's waiting for her first wash. Or she could still be recuperating. I'm sure BKTing all that hair by herself was a process!

I can only IMAGINE how long it took her!:spinning:

However the results look great. And I know she's a 4 lady like us.

Without these great results from her, you, naturatobe, southerntease and the other pioneers...I can hardly wait till end of summer/early fall! The only thing that stops me is my promise to myself to braid it up this summer.:ohwell:

sheba1

I can only IMAGINE how long it took her!:spinning:

However the results look great. And I know she's a 4 lady like us.

Without these great results from her, you, naturatobe, southerntease and the other pioneers...I can hardly wait till end of summer/early fall! The only thing that stops me is my promise to myself to braid it up this summer.:ohwell:

Awwww hang in their, LD. BKT will still be there and waiting for you when you're ready this Fall. Got to keep our word to ourselves, for sure :yep: And just think of how close you may be to blunt cut or full waist or whatever you decide by then. The results will be remarkable!

I'm about to braid my hair up; sew in, personal wig challenge, something to keep my hands out of it! I love touching it and I know I must stop that. I just needed to stop the tangling and the knots as I move on to my length goals. Now I can braid and unbraid at will.

luckiestdestiny

Awwww hang in their, LD. BKT will still be there and waiting for you when you're ready this Fall. Got to keep our word to ourselves, for sure :yep: And just think of how close you may be to blunt cut or full waist or whatever you decide by then. The results will be remarkable!

I'm about to braid my hair up; sew in, personal wig challenge, something to keep my hands out of it! I love touching it and I know I must stop that. I just needed to stop the tangling and the knots as I move on to my length goals. Now I can braid and unbraid at will.

Thanks so much for that! I needed a little pep talk. It's true it'll be waiting for me.

That sounds great. Some type of braid up/ wig challenge will help with manipulation for sure. :yep:

luckiestdestiny

....wondering if you think that the treatment will help you with the knots? That's something else to look forward to sheba1!

AtlantaJJ

Okay so I hope pinkskates is okay with me posting this here. It's in her siggy anyways so I don't think it's a problem. She had BKT done. Why oh why hasn't she started a thread? Or reported her results. The results look GORGEOUS. Where are you PinkSkate?

You can click to see here:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=298845&page=29&highlight=
PinksSkates one of my natural hair idols did the BKT :thud:

It's on like popcorn --- I'm getting the treatment, its a matter of when not if!!! And am I going to add a little color to my life....

ETA: I have no words :notworthy

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

I'm wondering if I should do the treatment and still stay on my challenge just to help combat the knots :scratchch It could help me retain that much more length....

sheba1

....wondering if you think that the treatment will help you with the knots? That's something else to look forward to sheba1!

I really hope so, LD. My main reason for getting the BKT was the hope that it would assist with tangles. It's definitely done that. I'm sure those tangles were causing or caused by the knots. So I'll keep watch and keep you all posted. :)

My curls have definitely loosened, also. I did a side by side comparison in my fotki followed by a pic I found 6 months ago at the beginning of my journey.

http://public.fotki.com/sheba1/brazilian-keratin-t-1/curlsfrom1stbktto2n.html

sheba1

I'm wondering if I should do the treatment and still stay on my challenge just to help combat the knots It could help me retain that much more length....

It's definitely something to think about, AtlantaJJ. I'm BKTing and protective styling to BSL.

hothair

Is anyone still using growth aides with the BKT?

I still use MN on my scalp nightly with no problems, nothing really interferes with this treatment unless it contains sodium chloride in which case it would only strip the treatment off quicker.

AtlantaJJ

I still use MN on my scalp nightly with no problems, nothing really interferes with this treatment unless it contains sodium chloride in which case it would only strip the treatment off quicker.
Look at those pretty pin curls!!

luckiestdestiny

I really hope so, LD. My main reason for getting the BKT was the hope that it would assist with tangles. It's definitely done that. I'm sure those tangles were causing or caused by the knots. So I'll keep watch and keep you all posted. :)

My curls have definitely loosened, also. I did a side by side comparison in my fotki followed by a pic I found 6 months ago at the beginning of my journey.

http://public.fotki.com/sheba1/brazilian-keratin-t-1/curlsfrom1stbktto2n.html

I definitely see a difference. I checked out your other pics too and like the bun with the pin curls. Really pretty.