Keratin Treatment Support Thread

luckiestdestiny

PinksSkates one of my natural hair idols did the BKT :thud:

It's on like popcorn --- I'm getting the treatment, its a matter of when not if!!! And am I going to add a little color to my life....

ETA: I have no words :notworthy

That hair is blinging so bright it's blinding.

My mouth dropped too when I saw the pic.

naturalmanenyc

Just amazing!!!!!
She is also one of my hair idols. We both are 4a's with crazy shrinkage.

It's on like popcorn --- I'm getting the treatment, its a matter of when not if!!! And am I going to add a little color to my life....

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

Me too!! :lachen::lachen:I cannot keep my hands out of my hair. :grin: I am not braiding but I may start using my wigs again.

I'm about to braid my hair up; sew in, personal wig challenge, something to keep my hands out of it! I love touching it and I know I must stop that.

naturalmanenyc

I was just thinking about that too - how long did it take? Mine was 4 hours (with a rollerset) so I can only imagine how long nearly waist length hair would take.

It's gorgeous!!!!

BKT has been around for years and it's not going away. It will definitely still be around at the end of summer. Now that the celebs are openly talking about it, there will probably be more brands & cheaper prices.:grin:

I can only IMAGINE how long it took her!:spinning:

However the results look great. And I know she's a 4 lady like us.

Without these great results from her, you, naturatobe, southerntease and the other pioneers...I can hardly wait till end of summer/early fall! The only thing that stops me is my promise to myself to braid it up this summer.:ohwell:

MonaLisa

I learned quite a bit from this thread and figured I could at least contribute something. This is a pretty good link. I feel I'm going to try out the SoftLiss as it's more oriented to home application. When I do it, I most likely will hop on the train and get my hair blown out at the Dominican salon and I don't have to be bothered.

Link - Learn the benefits of BKT
http://www.squidoo.com/BenefitsBrazilianKeratinTreatmentHair

naturaline

Hey Naturaline, I can't find any info on that particular brand. I do like what they say on their page; they mention to look for a low/no formaldehyde content but they don't reveal what that content is. I would find out before purchasing. The ratings on the seller look good.

i think im gunns buy qod max...

has anyone heard of this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220407603181&_trksid=p2759.l1259 its says its natural... but i may jus get the qod

Morenita

That hair is blinging so bright it's blinding.

My mouth dropped too when I saw the pic.

Yeah, I had to pick up my jaw from the floor :spinning: Beautiful hair, as always... It's interesting to say the least. I think SouthernTease's results were gorgeous as well. I said it wasn't for me, but I will keep my eye on this thread just in case :rolleyes:

lwilliams1922

OK I must have been sleeping on the latest threads. It took me almost 4 weeks to read the henna and chlorella thread :eek:

I finally get back to checking new thread and there are a ton of posts on BKT!

I've been reading but I'm having trouble finding those with hair like mine.
I'm In AWE of southerntease and pinkskates but I think they have skills that I just cant match. Lovely looks ladies.

Can any one point me to any 4's (natural/un relaxed) that have used BKT?

I don't want bone straight hair. I'm looking more to tame the bushyness and frizz and loosen the curl a bit. I don't want to have flat hair only to have to apply heat every day to get body.

I really just want to be able to do a wash and go.

Iansan

My mom got this on her natural I dunno maybe 2b/3aish hair, it turned it to a silky pin straight Ming Lee 1A, I know I won't get her results but I want to try it...

yodie

Sheba1 is a 4a, natural. She did her own BKT with great results.

OK I must have been sleeping on the latest threads. It took me almost 4 weeks to read the henna and chlorella thread :eek:

I finally get back to checking new thread and there are a ton of posts on BKT!

I've been reading but I'm having trouble finding those with hair like mine.
I'm In AWE of southerntease and pinkskates but I think they have skills that I just cant match. Lovely looks ladies.

Can any one point me to any 4's (natural/un relaxed) that have used BKT?

I don't want bone straight hair. I'm looking more to tame the bushyness and frizz and loosen the curl a bit. I don't want to have flat hair only to have to apply heat every day to get body.

I really just want to be able to do a wash and go.

ShiShiPooPoo

What is the effect of BKT on relaxed hair?

I'm looking for strength particularly on my ends and not straightness. Could I just go with the one from Ulta for that?

sheba1

I'm looking for strength particularly on my ends and not straightness. Could I just go with the one from Ulta for that?

Hey ShiShi, you can certainly do the treatment over relaxed hair. It offers strength and smoothness. Some relaxed, texlaxed and thermal conditioned ladies have reported less breakage and easier maintenance as the hair is supposed to hold moisture better; less splits. I haven't seen any of the brittleness associated with other heavy protein treatments wth bkt. I thnk of it as adding an additional (artificial) cuticle layer to the hair.

There was a thread on bkt relaxed heads in which others shared insight: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=7579955

And you know Veejee was texlaxed before she bkt'd. She said that her hair became smoother and stronger after the treatment.

girlyprincess23

Did you guys know Rusk has a BKT too. That is formaldehyde free and comes in two strengths with one for resistant virgin hair. They also claim to have invented the product!! Ooh wait they claim its permanent so maybe it is not BKT.

Dove56

I have texlaxed hair and I love the results. My hair is stronger and bone straight! I have pictures of in my fotki of my results. :yep:

Dove56

Does anyone know if this product helps with shedding??

It really does help with shedding, plus it makes detangling a breeze. It strengthens your hair and it makes it feels "moist". I can't describe it, but it's wonderful. I can't say enough good things about it.

nakialovesshoes

I have a quick question if someone would be so kind to answer. Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere. The BKT has somewhat blown up & there's so many threads, I don't know where to begin.

I have a curly perm now that I'm enjoying. However, I'm the President of the Hair Indecisive. I have a hair plan & if all goes well, I only plan to touch my curl up 2 more times & possibly transition back to natural end of next year. If I can stick to my plan, I want to use the BKT to transition back to natural.

I've noticed that with Southern Tease's KT, her hair looks like she may have texturized when it's wet. But I know of others who hair remains straight while wet, mimicing a relaxer.

How do you know which product gives what results? I would like to keep the texture when it's wet but only have to rollerset to get it straight. Is there a particular KT I should use vs. another?

TIA...

naturalmanenyc

I am transitioning and have mostly curly 4a hair. The first salon used Lasio One Day BKT and the second salon used Rejuvenol BKT. After the first wash out, using both treatments, my hair looked texturized and it was not straight. I rollerset for straight hair.

The only people that I have seen (naturals) with straight hair out of the shower are those who use BKT once a month without letting the product wear off.

Rejuvenol - http://public.fotki.com/regswife/another-minichop--s/

Lasio One Day - http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/lasio-brazilian-hai/

I like Rejuvenol better than Lasio, although Lasio only had a 1 day wash out. Rejuvenol is thicker and my hair feels more "protected" although I have admittedly not been doing weekly flat ironing for straight styles.

I have a quick question if someone would be so kind to answer. Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere. The BKT has somewhat blown up & there's so many threads, I don't know where to begin.

I have a curly perm now that I'm enjoying. However, I'm the President of the Hair Indecisive. I have a hair plan & if all goes well, I only plan to touch my curl up 2 more times & possibly transition back to natural end of next year. If I can stick to my plan, I want to use the BKT to transition back to natural.

I've noticed that with Southern Tease's KT, her hair looks like she may have texturized when it's wet. But I know of others who hair remains straight while wet, mimicing a relaxer.

How do you know which product gives what results? I would like to keep the texture when it's wet but only have to rollerset to get it straight. Is there a particular KT I should use vs. another?

TIA...

Last edited:

Ivy Santolina

For those that did a BKT, how did you wear/style your hair during the "curing" phase? How did you protect your hair during a shower and prior to bed?

I just ordered a BKT as my Mother's Day gift and I expect it will arrive in a couple of weeks. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to successfully do this treatment at home, but I'm concerned about how I will take care of my newly treated hair before the first wash.

My goal isn't stick straight hair but manageable hair especially now that I'm transitioning.

TIA.

Chameleonchick

For those that did a BKT, how did you wear/style your hair during the "curing" phase? How did you protect your hair during a shower and prior to bed?

I just ordered a BKT as my Mother's Day gift and I expect it will arrive in a couple of weeks. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to successfully do this treatment at home, but I'm concerned about how I will take care of my newly treated hair before the first wash.

My goal isn't stick straight hair but manageable hair especially now that I'm transitioning.

TIA.

This is what I would like too. I haven't texlaxed since December, and I am not sure if I am going to again but I am not saying I am transitioning yet. What brand did you wind up getting?

AtlantaJJ

I am transitioning and have mostly curly 4a hair. The first salon used Lasio One Day BKT and the second salon used Rejuvenol BKT. After the first wash out, using both treatments, my hair looked texturized and it was not straight. I rollerset for straight hair.

The only people that I have seen (naturals) with straight hair out of the shower are those who use BKT once a month without letting the product wear off.

Rejuvenol - http://public.fotki.com/regswife/another-minichop--s/

Lasio One Day - http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/lasio-brazilian-hai/

I like Rejuvenol better than Lasio, although Lasio only had a 1 day wash out. Rejuvenol is thicker and my hair feels more "protected" although I have admittedly not been doing weekly flat ironing for straight styles.

So are you saying that the Rejuvenol gives your hair more weight because now after being natural for some time I find my hair is very light and fluffy but not in a necessarily good way.... I feel I need more weight on my strands. Would this possibly help?

hothair

I did the 4% Global Keratin (8th April 2009) so I'm in my 5th week and the effects seem to have started wearing off. My hair still detangles a lot easier and is still silky with little heat, but the straight silky softness I got initially (after wash with no product) is not so much. I have to make sure I use my leave ins etc now to get the same effect....

Just thought to share, i will be topping up my treatment in the next week

MarieB

TIA.

I wore a shower cap, and wrapped before going to bed. I had to use clips because my hair was sooo loose that it wouldn't stay put on its own. I flat-ironed any areas that showed dents from the clips. HTH!

ETA: Also had to flat-iron the first morning because I sweated a bit in the night, but my hair held up!

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

I did the 4% Global Keratin (8th April 2009) so I'm in my 5th week and the effects seem to have started wearing off. My hair still detangles a lot easier and is still silky with little heat, but the straight silky softness I got initially (after wash with no product) is not so much. I have to make sure I use my leave ins etc now to get the same effect....

Just thought to share, i will be topping up my treatment in the next week

It's good this shows it's wearing off which I know was a concern for some. As you're a natural (at least I think) like me, you would have to re apply to virgin hair more often for it to last longer. I was reading they recommend another after a month or less if you're virigin like naturaltobe did, or else it'll wear off sooner.