Keratin Treatment Support Thread

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
I got the Prismax hair botox and trying to convince a friend to order the Goldwell for me from CosmoProf if not I'll try the Uncurly.
One thing about the Goldwell though is I don't think it reverts. Mine reverted somewhat but definitely not back to my original texture. Compared to the Avlon Texture Release this is definitely more permanent.

lindseyerinc

One thing about the Goldwell though is I don't think it reverts. Mine reverted somewhat but definitely not back to my original texture. Compared to the Avlon Texture Release this is definitely more permanent.
My friend bought it for me so I’ll be doing the Goldwell over the weekend. How many passes did you end up doing?

Colocha

My friend bought it for me so I’ll be doing the Goldwell over the weekend. How many passes did you end up doing?
I did the higher end of the recommended number of passes in the instructions, I don't remember how many it was. I also did more passes on the roots than the rest of the hair (not exceeding the recommended number of passes).

I hope you enjoy the results!

Colocha

I posted in the Random Thoughts Threat but these are the wash and go results with the keratin treatment that my stylist did:

1612734407348.png1612734542574.png

The curls are uniform all throughout my head. This wash and go took literally an hour to do with 2 products. I will be dropping coin at this woman's door every 4-6 months because I'm not going back to my old life.

lindseyerinc

I’m transitioning back to natural. Unfortunately, my hair never reverted after my Goldwell treatment. I knew this was a possibility and I’m glad I did it myself instead of a salon because I’d hate to think how damaged my hair would’ve been at the suggested heat and pass amount. I have about 4 months of new growth and doing olaplex faithfully.

dancinstallion

I posted in the Random Thoughts Threat but these are the wash and go results with the keratin treatment that my stylist did:

View attachment 469007View attachment 469009

The curls are uniform all throughout my head. This wash and go took literally an hour to do with 2 products. I will be dropping coin at this woman's door every 4-6 months because I'm not going back to my old life.

What two products did you use?

Your hair is cute.

aminata

Quick question, I took the plunge, without research.
I did do this in 2012 or 2013 without much notice.
The salon, place and time was different.
Did anyone wait more than 72 hours to wash hair?
my hair still looks good and it’s almost a week old.
thanks

Colocha

Quick Question!

Does anybody know where I might be able to find a salon in Toronto that does natural hair and keratin treatments? I've seen Amani Hair Studio, Kinks hair Studio and Analysis in Hair. It probably would be a stretch to find someone who uses the same brand I currently use, but it's AlfaParf.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I finally got one professionally done! I’m in love with the results. The fumes and product touching my scalp was rough, but here I am. 1 month later. My texture loosened slightly. I think I’ll get this twice a year. Price was $270 before tip

My Dominican stylist did an amazing job. Blunt cut too. I’ll try to find a pic8D7695F9-6E37-41F0-9872-FE679EEFCADA.jpeg

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I’m 3 months post keratin treatment. My roots are kinda puffy, but the rest of the strand is still frizz free. I’m able to wash/cowash at home as needed now with minimal effort.

I may get another treatment before the holidays. Either November or December. I’ll make sure she only does the roots so that my coils are uniform

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Hey y’all. Just stopping by to see if anyone had any damage or breakage from their keratin treatment. I’ve only had 1 (in July) and I’m noticing a really thin, broken crown. Some pieces are an inch long. Others are a few inches. It really feels thin and helpless.

I’ll grow it out with wigs and braids. Once every quarter I’ll get my ends trimmed. I loved the results, but not the damage. I’ll be getting hair botox from now on. Botox is quicker and less expensive. Win win

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Hey y’all. Just stopping by to see if anyone had any damage or breakage from their keratin treatment. I’ve only had 1 (in July) and I’m noticing a really thin, broken crown. Some pieces are an inch long. Others are a few inches. It really feels thin and helpless.

I’ll grow it out with wigs and braids. Once every quarter I’ll get my ends trimmed. I loved the results, but not the damage. I’ll be getting hair botox from now on. Botox is quicker and less expensive. Win win
For some reason the keratin treatments led to a thinning of my hair in the middle. I never found out why that was. Everything else grew fine but the middle. My hair also broke off with the Botox but it was an all over breakage. My hair stayed the same length for a year (SL) after only doing one botox and never doing another. I used the Richee brand of Botox which broke my hair off. The Botox that let me keep my length was the Nutree brand. I retained my growth with that one but it made my curls a bit saggy after a while. I could not rake and go with my hair. It had to be shingled or a Denman brush had to be used to define my curl pattern. After going back and seeing my hair break off over time, (I keep meticulous hair progress pictures) I have decided to ditch the chemicals for good and just stick with my natural texture and wear wigs. If I want curly hair I have a wig for that lol If I want straight hair I have a wig for that too. LOL

Colocha

My hair is damaged, too! It's about the extent that I expected. I have some breakage/thinning maybe 2-3 inches up from my ends. I've had 3/4 keratin treatments at home in the Bahamas. Recently moved to Toronto and have one scheduled in February. I honestly don't think I would stop doing them unless my hair broke worse than it currently is. I get a trim every time I get a new keratin treatment and my hair either retains a bit or stays the same length. If the stylist here disagrees with me in Feb or has to cut more than I expect I'll let you all know.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
My hair is damaged, too! It's about the extent that I expected. I have some breakage/thinning maybe 2-3 inches up from my ends. I've had 3/4 keratin treatments at home in the Bahamas. Recently moved to Toronto and have one scheduled in February. I honestly don't think I would stop doing them unless my hair broke worse than it currently is. I get a trim every time I get a new keratin treatment and my hair either retains a bit or stays the same length. If the stylist here disagrees with me in Feb or has to cut more than I expect I'll let you all know.
Is having length a part of your goals? I personally couldn't retain length with keratin in my hair but everyone's mileage will vary. Going back to my natural texture has been an adjustment but I love the curl memory my natural hair has.

Colocha

Is having length a part of your goals? I personally couldn't retain length with keratin in my hair but everyone's mileage will vary. Going back to my natural texture has been an adjustment but I love the curl memory my natural hair has.
Length used to be the main goal for me, but I've changed priorities. I'm more than happy with MBL hair. APL would be fine, too.

I like my hair styled a certain way and I'm willing to compromise other things for that now. When length was my main goal I always wore my hair up and away (I'm not big on wigs) and I hate the way I look that way. On top of that styling was an hours-long to days-long affair. If I had to stop using keratin (for health reasons or something) I'd probably cut all my hair off and rock a TWA.

DVAntDany

Are there any treatments that give very temporary effects like the Beautiful Textures Manageability System? I haven’t used that in years and can’t remember how I felt about it. I want something for my mom.

Colocha

It turns out I was wrong about my hair. I only needed a dusting, less than an inch off all around. Hair still going strong. Receipts attached.

Edit: Receipts won’t attach. Will attach later if I can.

Colocha

Your hair looks so good @Colocha ! Did you just get a fresh keratin treatment?

I cannot lie there last few wash days have me re thinking my stance on keratin. I don't like the way my hair has been looking as of late...
Thanks @Napp! I did, yesterday. I went to a new stylist since I moved. She just touched up the roots.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Let us know what brand she uses @Prettymetty. After i take these braids out i plan on doing something to soften my texture up a little bit. I've been looking at Brazilian Blowout Rewind which isn't a traditional smoothing treatment or botox but it helps tame the hair texture slightly.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
For some reason the keratin treatments led to a thinning of my hair in the middle. I never found out why that was. Everything else grew fine but the middle. My hair also broke off with the Botox but it was an all over breakage. My hair stayed the same length for a year (SL) after only doing one botox and never doing another. I used the Richee brand of Botox which broke my hair off. The Botox that let me keep my length was the Nutree brand. I retained my growth with that one but it made my curls a bit saggy after a while. I could not rake and go with my hair. It had to be shingled or a Denman brush had to be used to define my curl pattern. After going back and seeing my hair break off over time, (I keep meticulous hair progress pictures) I have decided to ditch the chemicals for good and just stick with my natural texture and wear wigs. If I want curly hair I have a wig for that lol If I want straight hair I have a wig for that too. LOL
I'm wondering if the reason I had breakage was because of doing the treatments over several times over already treated hair. I wonder if I treat it like a relaxer and only touch up the roots of I will have better results.

I'm torn between doing a keratin/ botox or just getting more wigs