Keratin Treatment Support Thread

SouthernTease

So many names.
So many brands.
It should have its own thread...no?

Let's make a list of links to the brand's website and ingredients if available. You can post and I will add to the original post so it's easier to get the info.

THE KERATIN TREATMENTS

Keratin Complex Smoothing Therapy by Coppola Contains aldehyde (said to be the "safer", more "organic" form of formaldehyde)

Global Keratin Formaldehyde Free, 2%, and 4%

La-Brasiliana

Lasio

Soft-Liss (Formaldehyde free - contains ethyl alcohol)

OK Original Keratin

Agi Max

Simply Smooth by American Culture (Formaldehyde free - contains vanilla extract/vanillin)

Goleshlee Keratin Hair Therapy (Myspace page)

Rejuvenol - Official Site -
More Information

QOD (QOD Max, QOD Red, QOD Gold)

Inoar "Morrocan Brush/Escova Marroquina"
Ingredients: Glicerin, Cetrimonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, C.I. 19140, C.I. 16035, Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone, Keratin, Silica, Fragrance, Water and Formaldeheyde.
Note: This product contains a maximum of 0.2% of Formaldheyde.

THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- It's not cheap
- Requires a lot of heat for the first application up to 450 degrees of heat to seal the keratin into hair
- Some brands contain formaldehyde
- Some aldehydes have low hazard scores according to the Environmental Working Group
- It's temporary
- It's not a relaxer
- It's not for everybody

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

Great idea!!

Lasio is http://lasiostudios.com/./494/Products
They teach a course every Monday - license or Tax ID required
http://lasiostudios.com/./484/EDUCATIONAL_CLASSES

I have Lasio (One Day treatment). I only paid $75 though since I did not have it done at Lasio Studios but rather a local salon that uses Lasio. They want $375 for the One Day Treatment.

I am doing my second wash today after 9.5 days of rocking my flat iron. I'm rollersetting today.

AtlantaJJ

Great idea!!

Lasio is http://lasiostudios.com/./494/Products
They teach a course every Monday - license or Tax ID required
http://lasiostudios.com/./484/EDUCATIONAL_CLASSES

I have Lasio (One Day treatment). I only paid $75 though since I did not have it done at Lasio Studios but rather a local salon that uses Lasio. They want $375 for the One Day Treatment.

I am doing my second wash today after 9.5 days of rocking my flat iron. I'm rollersetting today.
Pictures pretty please :grin: I really want to see a roller set, I love roller sets!

Wanderland

Can we also list the poo's, and condish? I know its listed elsewhere but this would be a good central location.

healthytext

Inoar "Morrocan Brush/Escova Marroquina"
Official Website

Information and Application Video

Facts about Inoar Moroccan Treatment
by: Ricardo L Rahme

I am the VP of Operations of LAG Dynamic Corporation (www.inoarusa.com), based in Miami, Florida. We are the Distributors of Inoar Cosmetics for the USA and Latin America.
I would like to clarify three things:

1- Inoar Keratin Moroccan Treatment DOES HAVE formaldehyde in its formula; however, it is approved by the FDA, and we are the only Importer of Brazilian Keratin that shows the FDA Registration number on the label of the product.

2- You can NOT wash the hair immediately, but yes, there is a advantage: you can wash it after one hour. Most of the products that do what is called "Progressive Brush" require that you keep it for three days, but by using Inoar you can wash it after one hour.

3- The most important thing: French perfume is made in France, Scotch Whiskey is made in Scotland, and Brazilian Keratin is made in Brazil, like Inoar. Some of the most popular "Brazilian Keratin" products in the market are not Brazilian at all. They are made in the USA with SYNTHETIC KERATIN, and of course they are cheaper. Inoar is made with hydrolized vegetable keratin along with Colagen, and the results are by far better than the ones made with synthetic keratin. And of course, Inoar is 100% made in Brazil.

For more information, visit our website at www.inoarusa.com
Thank you,
Ricardo L Rahme

From Sickbay product page:
Directions:

* 1) Place a sufficient amount of the treatment into a bowl for easy access.
* 2) Apply the product with a brush starting about 0.5 inches from the scalp.
* 3) Let the product penetrate the hair for 20 minutes.
* 4) Dry the hair completely with the blow dryer at the medium setting. It is NOT necessary to brush the hair straight.
* 5) Apply the flat iron at 356 Fahrenheit into small sections, at least 7 to 10 times in each section in order to seal particles completely.
* 6) If desired, complete the process with a brush. You may wash or secure the hair within one hour.

Note: THE PRODUCT DOES NOT CAUSE IRRITATION BUT WE RECOMMEND THE USE OF GLOVES AND EAR PROTECTORS.

Ingredients: Glicerin, Cetrimonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, C.I. 19140, C.I. 16035, Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone, Keratin, Silica, Fragrance, Water and Formaldeheyde.

Note: This product contains a maximum of 0.2% of Formaldheyde.

Last edited:

healthytext

Salerm Keratin Shot

Long lasting straightener, hydrates and recovers natural Shine. It is a revolutionary straightener treatment, that works adding Keratin and modifying the form of the hair. The benefits that its use contributes are: an amazing recovery of the natural hydration, the brightness and the smoothing, control of the volume and straighten hair. The duration depends on the porosity of the hair, but like average it is possible to be said that 12 to 24 weeks, as long as it is used the recommended Shampoo, conditioner and serum.
A discussion (in Spanish) about Keratin Shot.

I'm still looking for more information.

healthytext

I received a response from Original Keratin about the level of formaldehyde in their product:
The exact percentage is a closely guarded secret.
You can rest assured that we use less then half of what some competitors do and the first time you try OK, you too will be convinced.
:ohwell:

sheba1

This is great! I appreciate a place to come and discuss different treatments and shampoos and conditioners to use after. :yep:

What do you guys think of this natural shampoo? It's mills creek biotin shampoo. I love the ingredients, but all those sodium _____'s make me nervous. No sodium chloride, though.

Deionized water, biotin, hydrolyzed keratin, peppermint oil, hydrolyzed elastin, niacin, folic acid, panthenol (provitamin B5), organic aloe vera gel, organic essential oil, jojoba oil, inositol, barley extract, sodium myreth sulfate, cocamidopropyl betaine (coconut oil), octyl dimethyl PABA, styrene / acrylates copolymer, citric acid, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, botanical fragrance.

On the bottle it says the ph is 5.5

It turns out that a few of the conditioners that I own are sodium chloride free.

Elasta QP Intense Fortifying hair conditioner, GVP Matrix Biolage conditioning balm knock off, Giovanni 50/50 Hydrating Calming Conditioner and Infusium 23 orginal formula leave-in.

Some others that pass the sodium chloride test are Salerm 21 and Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor.

I also read that products that contain keratin are good to use after the treatment because they refill places that the keratin may be wearing and allow the treatment to remain longer.

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
How about posting info on Liquid Keratin....sold at Ulta

I just found this link today:

squidoo.com/BenefitsBrazilianKeratinTreatmentHair

It gives info and mini reviews on diff types of BKT treatments incl the one sold at Ulta. I wanted to know about Ulta's too. Unfortunately, this one did not receive the best review.

naturalmanenyc

More Information

Rejuvenol Vanilla Brazilian Keratin Treatment with Collagen

Rejuvenol Vanilla Brazilian keratin treatment with collagen is a revolutionay treatment for all hair types. It contains collagen to help maintain the stregth and flexibity of the hair.

DIRECTIONS: Shake well before use. 1) After shampooing the hair twice with rejuvenol clarifying shampoo, towel dry. 2) Then blow-dry hair leaving 10% dampness in the hair, making hair easier to control. 3) Divide hair into four sections. 4) Starting from the nape, apply the treatment to the hair by appliction brush, keep product off the scalp and comb product through to the ends. Finish the whole head by sections. 5) Using a wide tooth brush, blow dry the hair completely. 6) Divide the hair into 4 sections again. 7) Starting from the nape, with a fine tooth comb (allowing hair to lay evenly flat), part the hair in 1/4 inch parts and flat iron from the root till end. Flat iron each part four to five times or as many times needed until the hair is silky and shiny. 8) For best results, the flat-iron should be set to 450 degrees Fahrenheit ( 230 Degrees Celsius). 9) Inform client not to shampoo, wet or tie hair up in any way for 4 days. 10) After the fourth day, maintain the character of the treatment with Rejuvenol keratin After Treatment Shampoo, after treatment conditioner and frizz away shine. This maintenance can be done in the salon or at home by the client.

INGREDIENTS: Water, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Propylene Glycol, Amodimethicone, Cetrimonium Chloride, Cyclopentasiloxane, Formaldehyde, Dimethicone, Cetaryl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, hydrolyzed Collagen, Fragrance.

AngieB

What about using ayuervedic powders with this treatment? Is that possible or will it affect the keratin treatment?

AtlantaJJ

More Information

Rejuvenol Vanilla Brazilian Keratin Treatment with Collagen

Rejuvenol Vanilla Brazilian keratin treatment with collagen is a revolutionay treatment for all hair types. It contains collagen to help maintain the stregth and flexibity of the hair.

DIRECTIONS: Shake well before use. 1) After shampooing the hair twice with rejuvenol clarifying shampoo, towel dry. 2) Then blow-dry hair leaving 10% dampness in the hair, making hair easier to control. 3) Divide hair into four sections. 4) Starting from the nape, apply the treatment to the hair by appliction brush, keep product off the scalp and comb product through to the ends. Finish the whole head by sections. 5) Using a wide tooth brush, blow dry the hair completely. 6) Divide the hair into 4 sections again. 7) Starting from the nape, with a fine tooth comb (allowing hair to lay evenly flat), part the hair in 1/4 inch parts and flat iron from the root till end. Flat iron each part four to five times or as many times needed until the hair is silky and shiny. 8) For best results, the flat-iron should be set to 450 degrees Fahrenheit ( 230 Degrees Celsius). 9) Inform client not to shampoo, wet or tie hair up in any way for 4 days. 10) After the fourth day, maintain the character of the treatment with Rejuvenol keratin After Treatment Shampoo, after treatment conditioner and frizz away shine. This maintenance can be done in the salon or at home by the client.

INGREDIENTS: Water, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Propylene Glycol, Amodimethicone, Cetrimonium Chloride, Cyclopentasiloxane, Formaldehyde, Dimethicone, Cetaryl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, hydrolyzed Collagen, Fragrance.

In the shampoo & condish! That's a bit much me thinks!!

Last edited:

hothair

What about using ayuervedic powders with this treatment? Is that possible or will it affect the keratin treatment?

I used my Mahabhingraj, Amla and Shikakai oils for pre-poos twice since I did the treatment with no adverse effects. Honestly I don't have a product that I haven't been able to use so far. I have to say the Global Keratin Moisturising conditioner is AMAZING, I only used it today...

AngieB

I used my Mahabhingraj, Amla and Shikakai oils for pre-poos twice since I did the treatment with no adverse effects. Honestly I don't have a product that I haven't been able to use so far. I have to say the Global Keratin Moisturising conditioner is AMAZING, I only used it today...
Thanks for the reply. I did this treatment last week and finally got a chance to wash and condition today. Turned out great. I want to use my ayuervedic powders on Friday. Probably kalpi-tone if it gets here in time or alma/brahmi. Wanted to make sure it wouldn't have any affect. Thanks much!

MarieB

I wonder how the BKT and henna would get along :scratchch

The way I understand it, color should be applied before the treatment as the BKT basically coats the hair. So probably pre-treatment, then a good couple of months later might work.

naturalmanenyc

supposedly any treatment (relaxer, color, henna) should be done before BKT since BKT takes better to chemically treated hair.

AngieB

I did a henna treatment a couple days before BKT, but was wondering about when I need to redo the henna as the greys start appearing. Will it take?

sheba1

I did a henna treatment a couple days before BKT, but was wondering about when I need to redo the henna as the greys start appearing. Will it take?

I think you may be the guinea pig on that one, AngieB.

Ravenmerlita used to henna and now does bkt. You can visit her fotki here: http://public.fotki.com/ravenmerlita/

I messaged her once before to ask her if she was still using the keratin straightener and did she have to stop hennaing in order to bkt. This was her response to me:

ravenmerlita said:
Hello and Thank You. I am still using the BKT but I don't henna anymore. I stopped henna a while ago because it made my hair dry and stiff. I think it may have been something I did with mixing wrong or maybe I got a bad batch but I was afraid to try again. My hair is already dry and can get brittle and break.

The BKT is good. I do it myself every few months. My hair stays moisturized and is much stronger.

I have a couple of theories where henna/bkt are involved. I wonder if the henna would thicken the strand and then bkt would coat the outside of the thickened strand keeping the temporary thickening longer? But then I wonder if there is anything remotely close to salt in henna that would cause the bkt to be dissolved from the inside out.

Whatever you do, please keep us posted, ok? There are many that are curious, I'm sure.

Last edited:

AngieB

I think you may be the guinea pig on that one, AngieB.

Ravenmerlita used to henna and now does bkt. You can visit her fotki here: http://public.fotki.com/ravenmerlita/

I messaged her once before to ask her if she was still using the keratin straightener and did she have to stop hennaing in order to bkt. This was her response to me:

I have a couple of theories where henna/bkt are involved. I wonder if the henna would thicken the strand and then bkt would coat the outside of the thickened strand keeping the temporary thickening longer? But then I wonder if there is anything remotely close to salt in henna that would cause the bkt to be dissolved from the inside out.

Whatever you do, please keep us posted, ok? There are many that are curious, I'm sure.

Guess I'll find out in four or five weeks. What's the worst that could happen? The color won't take? It will strip the BKT? I dunno..:perplexed

naturalmanenyc

OK Original Keratin

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]An OK Signature Product.[/FONT]

For virgin hair - we suggest you color the hair, even if it is to the natural color, before proceeding with the OK treatment.

Last edited:

sheba1

OK Original Keratin

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]An OK Signature Product.[/FONT]

For virgin hair - we suggest you color the hair, even if it is to the natural color, before proceeding with the OK treatment.

Yep! Chocokitty once said she might do that. This was her original post from the "I Did it! BKT *pic heavy*" thread:

Mannnnn.... I'm really thinking about doing this for the summer. I contacted a salon about doing it for me but they never got back to me. I know I can do this myself. I may dye my hair first and then apply the BKT. That way I'll get straighter results... :look:

I wonder if she ever did it? Not I, said the cat :nono:. If I ever stopped BKTing, I'd have to deal with color damaged, super duper fine strands? Nooooooo way, Jose. lol

She's got lovely hair, too. Here's her fotki: http://public.fotki.com/Chocokitty77/