Keratin Treatment

TRINITY05

I have been natural for 5 years and I am thinking about a keratin treatment for my hair. I am 4b and absolutely love my thick strands, but I struggle on wash/ co-wash day.

I want to hear from those who have 4a/b hair that have tried a keratin treatment. I would like to know:

did you experience any damage?

how often do you get the treatments?

what is the going price for this treatment in salons?

Now that you have or when you had this keratin treatment in your hair, how did you wear your hair on a regular basis?

Did you do your own hair most of the time, or did you find yourself going to the salon to get it done

Overall, has the keratin treatment been good to your hair?

dicapr

I have been natural for 5 years and I am thinking about a keratin treatment for my hair. I am 4b and absolutely love my thick strands, but I struggle on wash/ co-wash day.

I want to hear from those who have 4a/b hair that have tried a keratin treatment. I would like to know:

So far I haven't had any damage with my keratin treatment.

I usually wait 14 weeks in between treatments. I like to let the treatment wear off completely before getting another one. I don't want heat trained hair at this point in my natural journey so I also want to minimize the use of high heat on my hair.

I am paying $120-$130 for the treatment.

Now that you have or when you had this keratin treatment in your hair, how did you wear your hair on a regular basis?

I pretty much wear my hair the same way I did before the treatment-buns, braid outs, and wash and gos. I will also blow dry my hair every so often.

Did you do your own hair most of the time, or did you find yourself going to the salon to get it done

I do my hair. The only time I go to the salon is to get my keratin treatment. I wear it straight for about a week and then I go back to my normal routine. I find that keratin gives me less SSK and easier detangling while allowing me to still wear my natural texture. I also find that my presses last longer-but I prefer to wear my hair in its natural texture most of the time.

Yes. It has made my hair less of a chore. It is more manageable, less likely to break, and my hair has less frizz.

My answers are in red. If you have any other questions TRINITY05 let me know.

TRINITY05

Thanks for your responses!

I can't imagine that you are the only one on this board with 4a/b hair that has tried a keratin treatment.

Bumping for more responses please.........

nemi95

I'm 4a around the perimeter and 4b in the crown I haven't tried it yet, but I just ordered trial sizes of Global and Softliss BKT. I plan on trying the Global on Sunday or Monday. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Napp

Ms. Nobody

No I have not. the only time I got really bad split ends from BKTing is when I used it as per directions (multiple passes with very high heat) Now I just blow dry once, and do 2-3 passes of the flat iron at around 370.

I do them as often as I want but I usually wait until they wear off first. it usually wears off in about 2-4 months depending on the formula used.

I have seen it for as low as $100 during a special but it is usually much expensive especially the longer your hair is. I would say it costs around $150-$200 in the salon. With prices like that you can easily buy a whole system and do it yourself! This is what I do.

I wear my hair in pretty much the styles that i usualy do:buns,twists,twist outs,rollersets, big braids straight or in a wash n go. the hair looks preety much the same except that its shinier,looser, less frizzy and more malleable when it comes to styling.

I am 100% DIY. while I'm sure there are many who have had good experienced in a salon, There are just too many horror stories for me to take the chance. I feel that the salon would be too rough in application and use too melt my hair to oblivion.

I have been BKTing since 09 and I have always had my curl come back and never had issues with breakage. The newer formulas and cheaper prices of Keratin treatments now make it much easier to do at home. Although I do not trust any smoothing treatment sold in a drugstore.:nono:

Yes! I love them so much. It helps to keep my hair bone straight and it makes my curls manageable and silky feeling. It actually feels like the "best of both worlds" and I don't even have to worry about doing a touch up:yep:

BKT isnt really popular on this board as many are scared of the heat or the chemicals. I feel like many are not aware of the newer formulations, how the applications can be modified to use no more heat than a regular flat ironing session. There is so much old and biased info that is being spread out by people who don't even use the products!

The best way is to really research the archives and the internet. when looking at reviews consider how old they are,the formula used,how it was applied, how many times it was applied over a certain time period and what the reviewer was expecting the product to do. (there are some who look for BKTS that give more of a drastic permanent loosening effect)

caliscurls

You know I'm curious if anyone has ever tried to do a modified keratin treatment via a roller set as opposed to blow drying and flat ironing. Probably wouldn't come out as straight but could net decent results. It'd be an interesting experiment.

dicapr

You know I'm curious if anyone has ever tried to do a modified keratin treatment via a roller set as opposed to blow drying and flat ironing. Probably wouldn't come out as straight but could net decent results. It'd be an interesting experiment.

I'm not sure it would work very well. The high heat is used to seal the keratin coating onto the hair. I would think roller setting would not produce enough heat to seal the coating. I think you could roller set to straighten you hair after the treatment so that you only flatiron 3-4 times a year.

Napp

Ms. Nobody

It doesn't yield good results at all:nono: Plus it smells terrible when flat ironing for some reason. Also some of the formulations out there (especially the aldehyde containing ones) are substances you wouldn't want to be wet on your skin for a long time.

Blowdrying is needed for the best results IMO. It doesn't have to be bone straight after blowdrying but the straighter it gets during the blow dry the better the bkt results.

I like to experiment alot with different application techniques.

caliscurls

Good points, I need to search thru the other threads on recommendations. I've been thinking about using keratin as part of my transition and potentially long term. I've used the Liquid Keratin Bold treatment in the last (pre-relaxer days abt 2 years ago) but didn't like it that much.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Good points, I need to search thru the other threads on recommendations. I've been thinking about using keratin as part of my transition and potentially long term. I've used the Liquid Keratin Bold treatment in the last (pre-relaxer days abt 2 years ago) but didn't like it that much.

The best bkts are found online!:yep: