Kickstarter For Black Owned Hooded Dryer - Cuts Drying Time In Half!

Black Ambrosia

Momentum Dryer with Upflow Technology

About this project

Eggplant Side View

Eggplant Front View

Eggplant Barrel View

Shipping View

Hood Collapsed View

Collapsed view

Back View

White/Burnt Orange "Barrel View"

Risks and challenges
We've done the hard part! We've incorporated the new method/technology in a stylish and functional design that can be manufactured without loosing functionality.

We've created a new technology that gives some extraordinary benefits and some outstanding performances!

UpFlow Technology:
1) Cuts drying time in 1/2 or better when compared to professional/salon models.
2) Dries hair without extreme discomfort from hot air/vapor being forced into the breathing space of users.
3) Reduces the amount of time hair is exposed to damaging heat that dries out hair's moisture, minerals, vitamins and vital nutrients necessary for healthy hair
4) Reduces and almost eliminates excess perspiration/ sweat during the drying process. Because you don't sweat, if you don't feel the heat. We all know that salty water is damaging to the hair and scalp! Human perspiration/sweat has almost as much salt content as ocean water. Plainly put, heavy perspiration creates a salty residue on the hair and scalp at the root level that can have negative affects on overall hair and scalp health at the root level!!

Back to what I was saying...

The next step is to receive support from our Backers to complete the manufacturing process. Because the new design incorporates elements of handheld hair dryers and incorporates those mechanisms into this hybridized model which has elements of hooded hair dryers, we have those examples to use as sign posts and reference points in the manufacturing processl

Our biggest hurdle is in manufacturing and design security. Manufacturing through existing contract manufacturers that already have hundreds of millions of dollars of pieces and products being made gives us a good chance of securing our position as sole creators and producers of this technology!

Last edited:

Black Ambrosia

There was a thread on this several years ago. This guy in Jackson, MS designed a new dryer after waiting on his wife's hair to dry. He's easily been working on this for 7 years. It looks good and will probably make him a millionaire if he can get it mass produced.

The video is less than 5 minutes long. Please check it out and consider supporting.

larry3344

There was a thread on this several years ago. This guy in Jackson, MS designed a new dryer after waiting on his wife's hair to dry. He's easily been working on this for 7 years. It looks good and will probably make him a millionaire if he can get it mass produced.

The video is less than 5 minutes long. Please check it out and consider supporting.
Is it an at home dryer or for salons

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
I'd rather have this than a Pibbs, I believe.

I would DEFINITELY purchase one: Hair drying has been an issue for me, and I just don't want that huge Pibbs.

I'm praying he gets all that he needs to move forward!
Have you tried an LCL? i dont rollerset anymore but my LCL is very efficient at drying.
It's big like a Pibbs but much much cheaper.

as for supporting, after the CWK plates debacle I'll pass :look:
still mad that I contributed to that mess. But I do wish him luck with this and i'd consider the product if it's ever produced.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Have you tried an LCL? i dont rollerset anymore but my LCL is very efficient at drying.
It's big like a Pibbs but much much cheaper.

as for supporting, after the CWK plates debacle I'll pass :look:
still mad that I contributed to that mess. But I do wish him luck with this and i'd consider the product if it's ever produced.

Thanks for asking and for the tip about the LCL.

No, I haven't tried it because I've been afraid I'll put the money into it and then wish I had just saved it to put toward a Pibb. And, I really want something uber portable: I travel frequently.

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
Thanks for asking and for the tip about the LCL.

No, I haven't tried it because I've been afraid I'll put the money into it and then wish I had just saved it to put toward a Pibb. And, I really want something uber portable: I travel frequently.
ah ok, the LCL I have is not portable lol. well i mean it is if you take it apart but its not going to fold into a single piece.
I used a tabletop dryer prior to the LCL and it was dreadful. I don't think i could recommend any table top style dryer.
have you tried a soft bonnet style? You can try one cheaply from Sally's and return it if it doesn't work out.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
ah ok, the LCL I have is not portable lol. well i mean it is if you take it apart but its not going to fold into a single piece.
I used a tabletop dryer prior to the LCL and it was dreadful. I don't think i could recommend any table top style dryer.
have you tried a soft bonnet style? You can try one cheaply from Sally's and return it if it doesn't work out.

I have a HairFlair that I connect to my handheld dryer. It directs the air over my hair. Drying time is long, though.

The soft bonnet doesn't always fit over all of my rollers or curlformers or spiral rods or what have you. That's why I've been using the Hair Flair.

I'll probably just end up with a pricey, nonportable Pibbs. Sigh.

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
I have a HairFlair that I connect to my handheld dryer. It directs the air over my hair. Drying time is long, though.

The soft bonnet doesn't always fit over all of my rollers or curlformers or spiral rods or what have you. That's why I've been using the Hair Flair.

I'll probably just end up with a pricey, nonportable Pibbs. Sigh.
those are the same issues i had with the tabletop style... poor fitting... long dry time and some parts of my hair never dried.
Listen, if you're going to go for the Pibbs save a couple of hundred and get an LCL... I've had mine about 4 years and it still works perfectly. I can't vouch for their current quality of course though. Its easy to put together too. I remember soon after I got it my husband had run off to Morocco with his big sister so I was left to do it myself and I am not handy but I did it.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
those are the same issues i had with the tabletop style... poor fitting... long dry time and some parts of my hair never dried.
Listen, if you're going to go for the Pibbs save a couple of hundred and get an LCL... I've had mine about 4 years and it still works perfectly. I can't vouch for their current quality of course though. Its easy to put together too. I remember soon after I got it my husband had run off to Morocco with his big sister so I was left to do it myself and I am not handy but I did it.

That sounds like a plan: I can always sell it if it doesn't seem to suffice. I'm sure it will be a large enough improvement over the HairFlair.

Which LCL do you recommend? Do you have a link? TIA! :kiss:

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah

Black Ambrosia

He should try to get on Shark Tank
I thought of that too but I think he may do better financially if he's able to raise money this way. I read an article years ago by the founder of a company that went on Shark Tank and he was mad that they had to pay them a commission of sorts even though they either weren't offered or didn't take a deal. He was extra salty because his company was semi established and he felt like they were intentionally setting him up to pay this commission by mentioning the company name several times. I don't remember the specifics but the commission is based on the amount of exposure the company gets and the name drops cost them more money. Not sure if it was all in his head but he made it sound malicious like they knew he wasn't going to take their deals so they were going to make sure they got a cut through the commission.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I thought of that too but I think he may do better financially if he's able to raise money this way. I read an article years ago by the founder of a company that went on Shark Tank and he was mad that they had to pay them a commission of sorts even though they either weren't offered or didn't take a deal. He was extra salty because his company was semi established and he felt like they were intentionally setting him up to pay this commission by mentioning the company name several times. I don't remember the specifics but the commission is based on the amount of exposure the company gets and the name drops cost them more money. Not sure if it was all in his head but he made it sound malicious like they knew he wasn't going to take their deals so they were going to make sure they got a cut through the commission.

Ohhhhh. Well, disregard my previous post and excitement. :smile:

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
I don't think hes going to make anywhere the goal. 48 days and hundreds of thousands of dollars...
is there really that much of a demand for this kind of product nowadays? Unlike a standard blow dryer this is more of a niche thing imo.
Back in the days when all women wore heavily curled type do's this could have worked.

Black Ambrosia

I don't think hes going to make anywhere the goal. 48 days and hundreds of thousands of dollars...
is there really that much of a demand for this kind of product nowadays? Unlike a standard blow dryer this is more of a niche thing imo.
Back in the days when all women wore heavily curled type do's this could have worked.
This model is geared toward consumers but he's also pitching it for salon use and I can see salon owners buying this in droves. Shaving 30 minutes off an appointment would allow them to make more money.

Even as a natural I'd buy this for myself if it can dry my thick hair in a reasonable time. I prefer blowouts but have always been leery of the pulling and manipulation involved.

ETA: He just needs the right exposure. There was another kickstarter campaign where a woman was trying to turn an almost abandoned block in a city near Detroit into a community. She'd already purchased a few lots and was soliciting funds for rehab work. Her campaign didn't look like it was going to be funded until Ellen heard about it and brought her on the show. I think Ellen donated over $100k.

Atthatday

Every knee shall bow...
I think the goal is doable.

Hypothetical scenarios:

650,000 people donate $1.00
325,000 people donate $2.00
130,000 people donate $5.00 (how many members does LCHF have?)
65,000 people donate $10.00

I plan on spreading the word for several reasons. I want him to be successful, I want to support black businesses, the product seems to work for me, it may pave the way for other AA's to develop businesses, it's time we do what we do well, etc.

May we all show some support?

Black Ambrosia

@Atthatday Preach!

I know everyone won't feel comfortable contributing at the levels needed to actually get the dryer but every dollar counts. When I saw the pledge amount needed to get a dryer I thought it was high but then I remembered how much I've spent on flat irons, blow dryers, etc. That doesn't even include the annual spend for products (Ulta Platinum rewards, Sephora Rouge, etc). It's not a stretch. It's just a matter of him finding the right audience and getting the word out.

faithVA

This model is geared toward consumers but he's also pitching it for salon use and I can see salon owners buying this in droves. Shaving 30 minutes off an appointment would allow them to make more money.

Even as a natural I'd buy this for myself if it can dry my thick hair in a reasonable time. I prefer blowouts but have always been leery of the pulling and manipulation involved.

ETA: He just needs the right exposure. There was another kickstarter campaign where a woman was trying to turn an almost abandoned block in a city near Detroit into a community. She'd already purchased a few lots and was soliciting funds for rehab work. Her campaign didn't look like it was going to be funded until Ellen heard about it and brought her on the show. I think Ellen donated over $100k.
I agree that he needs the exposure. There are plenty of people who still use dryers. And there are more that would use them if the drying time wasn't do long and it didn't take up so much space.

There are plenty of people on this forum that use a dryer every wash. So the product is still relevant.

I hope he makes it.