Kickstarter For Black Owned Hooded Dryer - Cuts Drying Time In Half!

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
@Atthatday Preach!

I know everyone won't feel comfortable contributing at the levels needed to actually get the dryer but every dollar counts. When I saw the pledge amount needed to get a dryer I thought it was high but then I remembered how much I've spent on flat irons, blow dryers, etc. That doesn't even include the annual spend for products (Ulta Platinum rewards, Sephora Rouge, etc). It's not a stretch. It's just a matter of him finding the right audience and getting the word out.
Good point.
LHCF should be the right audience but how many of us even use dryers that much anymore? 10 years ago I think this would have gotten a lot more attention.
I would definitely buy this dryer. It would inspire me to start setting again if it truly works as described.
Maybe we need a thread in OT about it? This section is kind of dead nowadays.
I would support it if I felt it had a chance.

Black Ambrosia

Good point.
LHCF should be the right audience but how many of us even use dryers that much anymore? 10 years ago I think this would have gotten a lot more attention.
I would definitely buy this dryer. It would inspire me to start setting again if it truly works as described.
Maybe we need a thread in OT about it? This section is kind of dead nowadays.
I would support it if I felt it had a chance.
They seem to be so vigilant these days about moving threads. How would it have to be worded to not end up back in the Hair Care & Product Review forum?

Nikkiluv254

^True. I have backed 5 KickStarter projects (Including the CWK Plates two times). None of them had a goal this high. I understand that the dryers will have a high price point but it's still a lot. He could have done a small line with less funds needed and once he hit that goal he could have reached out to more investors (but maybe he doesn't want to go that route). I hate that it's all or nothing for this one.

Black Ambrosia

$650k in a little over a month? That's not gonna happen. He's not doing much promotion on it.
The day after I pledged I got an email thanking me. It mentioned that there were some things coming up this week that would boost the campaign. No specifics were given so I can't elaborate but he's obviously aware that the campaign won't get funded on its own.

Nikkiluv254

The day after I pledged I got an email thanking me. It mentioned that there were some things coming up this week that would boost the campaign. No specifics were given so I can't elaborate but he's obviously aware that the campaign won't get funded on its own.

Thanks for the info! I'm gonna keep an eye on this project. I'd really love for him to succeed and they become millionaires.

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
They seem to be so vigilant these days about moving threads. How would it have to be worded to not end up back in the Hair Care & Product Review forum?
i don't know... maybe make it a "support bob" thread? we really do have a TON of members here and if we even chipped in a very small amount each it could do it.

i'm shocked at only 9 backers so far. It seems as if very few people are interested :(.
if this was a blow dryer he'd have a much better market.

Black Ambrosia

btw how do we know this dryer even works as claimed and that he isnt going to just take the money and run :look:?
i mean what stops him from doing that... is there some kind of stipulation in place to prevent that?
I know you aren't charged unless the campaign is funded so there's some protection against him taking the money and disappearing at that stage. I'm really not sure what happens if it's funded and he either doesn't deliver or it doesn't live up to its claims. I'm guessing performance issues will be covered by a manufacturer warranty but I need to look into it. Off to research...

Last edited:

RossBoss

btw how do we know this dryer even works as claimed and that he isnt going to just take the money and run :look:?
i mean what stops him from doing that... is there some kind of stipulation in place to prevent that?

LOL..I was wondering about the claim of cutting the drying time in half but if the veracity of this claim has been proven I would definitely be in the market for it and would actually buy it since I am a rollersetting fiend.

faithVA

Kickstarter has mechanisms in place to minimize scams. Their site wouldn't survive if they made it easy for people to take money and not deliver.

With that said there are no guarantees. Kickstarter is an investor site not a purchase site.

Evolving78

I agree that he needs the exposure. There are plenty of people who still use dryers. And there are more that would use them if the drying time wasn't do long and it didn't take up so much space.

There are plenty of people on this forum that use a dryer every wash. So the product is still relevant.

I hope he makes it.
I'm gonna pledge later this week! I hope he gets the funding! I am a hooded dryer user, so this would come in handy for me!

Sally.

:yep:

I needed this today. Two hours under my HairFlair, twists still damp. I am ready to pay for this. Now. Lol.
Right. I'm surprised there are people in here saying that the time has passed for him to have a large audience for this. I still use my hairdryer regularly and wouldn't even think of being without one. As a matter of fact, the reason why I DONT use it more is because of how long it takes to dry my hair, how loud it is, and how hot it can get. If I could have a more pleasant hair drying experience, I would definitely use my sit under dryer even more.

OhTall1

I'm surprised there are people in here saying that the time has passed for him to have a large audience for this. I still use my hairdryer regularly and wouldn't even think of being without one.
Same here. I only do wash and gos and use my dryer all the time.
I'll donate but I wouldn't buy this product. My current dryer is a floor model. I'm not interested in a table top dryer.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Okay, guys: I'm going to put in effort to try to support this thing. :look:

To whom would it make sense or be helpful to send a tweet about this? Any particular celebrities, celebrity hair stylists, etc?

faithVA

Okay, guys: I'm going to put in effort to try to support this thing. :look:

To whom would it make sense or be helpful to send a tweet about this? Any particular celebrities, celebrity hair stylists, etc?

I think it is great you want to support. I think the yt hair queens need a working model. Hitting any of the big ones that use dryers on a regular basis would be the thing he really needs to get things moving.

Unfortunately I don't see any signs of his promoting this on the kickstarter. Maybe it hasn't kicked in yet. I'm hoping it is to come.

Maybe you can tweet something to some of the famous ytbers.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I think it is great you want to support. I think the yt hair queens need a working model. Hitting any of the big ones that use dryers on a regular basis would be the thing he really needs to get things moving.

Unfortunately I don't see any signs of his promoting this on the kickstarter. Maybe it hasn't kicked in yet. I'm hoping it is to come.

Maybe you can tweet something to some of the famous ytbers.

Great idea!

Okay. Don't judge me or laugh at me. :lachen: So far I've tweeted:

Naptural85,
MahoganyCurls,
KinkyCurlyCoilyMe (Jenell B. Stewart),
Oprah,
Tracee Ellis Ross (sp?),
Kerry Washington,
Tyra Banks, and
Jada Pinkett Smith.

It's getting late. I'll try to think of some other famous people tomorrow/later. :smile: I'll focus on hair people going forward. :look:

faithVA

Great idea!

Naptural85,
MahoganyCurls,
Oprah,
Tracee Ellis Ross (sp?),
Kerry Washington,
Tyra Banks, and
Jada Pinkett Smith.

It's getting late. I'll try to think of some other famous people tomorrow/later. :smile: I'll focus on hair people going forward. :look:
I'm not laughing. You never know. One of these ladies may know something we don't.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Great idea!

Naptural85,
MahoganyCurls,
Oprah,
Tracee Ellis Ross (sp?),
Kerry Washington,
Tyra Banks, and
Jada Pinkett Smith.

Added:

Magic Johnson
Nicole Ari Parker
Tichina Arnold

LushLox

I don't have a clue about these Kickstarter projects. If he fails to meet the target by the deadline dead can he extend it or is that it as far as sourcing the money using this method?

Black Ambrosia

I reached out to Martin McCurtis again and he said that he said that he tested the dryer on a reality tv person from WAGS Atlanta. I'm not familiar with that show so I'm not sure who it would be or how much influence that person might have. Its progress though. He also said that he was talking to a manufacturer and expected to negotiate a deal soon.

I'm disappointed by the lack of movement with the Kickstart campaign but I'm pleased to hear that something is happening and I remain hopeful that it'll see the light of day.

faithVA

I reached out to Martin McCurtis again and he said that he said that he tested the dryer on a reality tv person from WAGS Atlanta. I'm not familiar with that show so I'm not sure who it would be or how much influence that person might have. Its progress though. He also said that he was talking to a manufacturer and expected to negotiate a deal soon.

I'm disappointed by the lack of movement with the Kickstart campaign but I'm pleased to hear that something is happening and I remain hopeful that it'll see the light of day.
Thanks for keeping us updated. I would like to get the dryer so I hope there are more updates in the future.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Update

I emailed the creator. He asked me to call. We just spoke for about 15 minutes.

He says a likely investor is currently trialing it at her house. She's more than financially able to cover the investment cost. He's pretty hopeful. He would love our prayers.

If things go well, he says he may be able to make an announcement in about a month, if not a little sooner.

He says Shark Tank did not accept his application to the show.

He says he's also developing a standing dryer, and it cuts down dry time even more.