Kiddie perm vs. regular perm

luckymonkey1307

I am natural, always been, but i want my hair to become easier to manage. I was wondering if you all thought a kiddie perm is less damaging? and what is the difference between a regular or kiddie, i would definitely get a mild perm so what do u ladies think? i am btw a 3c/4a, and to add to that, my ends are straight due to pressing comb heat damage, so would it be bad not to perm that part? Is working with two different textures bad? i just don't want it to be bone straight is all....help!

Candy_C

You know what love, i've been told by many people, including my mum who thought kiddy perms were milder - that they are infact NOT milder at all.

As we are the same hair texture, i can recommend a sensitive relaxer (aka. mild). its left on my hair for no longer than 10-15 mins. my hair comes out straight as it is a looser curl pattern i use Elasta QP mild - no lye (sensitive) i hav yet to be dissapointed. my hair is very shiney and moist.

If u dont want ur hair very straight just leave it on for about 10mins, but my hair comes out straight but thats because it drinks everything! very very pourous!

luckymonkey1307

thank u! the one thing i am afraid of is i hear about the dryness of the no-lye...my hair is naturally dry already, do u think this cud be a problem?

and has anyone ever used beautiful beginnings? how wus that

cocoberry10

Kiddie perms aren't better than regular perms. If you want to use a light relaxer, you should use mild. Basically, most "kiddie perms" assume you haven't relaxed before and the ph is higher. I posted the PH levels of most common/popular relaxers (if you want to search for it...I can't until later on tonight). Phytorelaxer had a low PH, and many ladies who use it say it is extremely gentle on the hair.

Candy_C

luckymonkey1307 said:
thank u! the one thing i am afraid of is i hear about the dryness of the no-lye...my hair is naturally dry already, do u think this cud be a problem?

and has anyone ever used beautiful beginnings? how wus that

Babes, aslong as you nuture you hair, give it loads of moisture u will be fine. just dont let ur hair get dry! if u notice a section looking a bit frizzy, give it a dab of moisture! twist it up at night, that'll retain moisture too. my natural 3c-4a hair was DRYYYYY and wire-like. people think my hair is natural NOW but like a 2c type texture. i have been told i have "white-people hair" but i believe air-drying is the cause of this, wen i use heat my hair is something different..a completely different texture.i hate it straight its so boring on me. Dont become a slave to the flat iron and ur hair will be kool. the no-lye thing is better if you want your hair straighter though, and if ur scalp is a bit sensitive. i hear LYE is good for normal scalp (no probs) and dryer hair. i use the cheapy box relaxers lol, i'm a student and LURVE a bargain! and its working as i follow the techniques off this site

L

lkg4healthyhair

luckymonkey1307 said:
I am natural, always been, but i want my hair to become easier to manage. I was wondering if you all thought a kiddie perm is less damaging? and what is the difference between a regular or kiddie, i would definitely get a mild perm so what do u ladies think? i am btw a 3c/4a, and to add to that, my ends are straight due to pressing comb heat damage, so would it be bad not to perm that part? Is working with two different textures bad? i just don't want it to be bone straight is all....help!

Okay my friend who is natural thought the same way and she has hair like Tracey Ellis Ross but bigger and longer. She wanted it to hang a little and put Just for Me- child relaxer in her hair. Well her hair came out. Because she has a lot it was not noticeable but it was damaged in the front (hairline).

Dont be fooled by the words relaxer for children. Treat it just the same and use the same cautions as you would with any other relaxer JMO.

HTH

luckymonkey1307

so im guessing a mild relaxer would be better? ugh! im so confused, i dont want my hair to fall out, i dont want to go bald, and i dont want to have to have huge setbacks and then my hair start to grow! ahhh!!! but i do want my hair to be easier to manage, and i want the mildest relaxer/ most moisturizing there is.

also, is it bad to just put the relaxer on the roots?

bluediamond0829

im a user of mild and kiddie relaxers...and ive been told by many hairdressers also that kiddie relaxers are the same as using a regular relaxer...its just the advertisment for it..i know someone on a different hair board had the ph levels and showed the differences of kiddie relaxers to regular relaxers and basically there ph level is the same...i looked at it not to long ago...i think they posted a link on here but i dont think i would be able to remember where i saw it at...but basically just go with a mild relaxer if you are thinking about relaxing...

bellezanegra826

DONT BE FOOLED BY KIDDIE PERMS!!!!!! I got a just-for-me perm before last and it started burning my scalp right away. It had to be washed out way before my hair was processed. As a result my hair needed to be corrected after only 5 weeks which down the line is pretty unhealthy for your hair.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I say skip the kiddie perm as the other ladies said it's higher in Ph than most adult relaxers, if you want something gentle I can recommend Vitale Life and Body Lye relaxer, it doesn't dry the hair out, leaves it shiny and soft, not moisture stripping at all. I just used this on my daughters hair friday and I love the results. If you don't want your hair bone straight do a strand test in the most resistant area of your head and and wait from 3-7min checking to see if you reached your desired texture. You can use a mild or regular relaxer, and don't believe all the hype about lye relaxers leaving the hair under processed, I say maybe the relaxer wasn't left on long enough to process correctly or maybe the hair is overprocessed giving an underprocessed look. Plus different strokes for different folks. I like bone straight hair and never had a problem achieving it until I used a no-lye relaxer that didn't fully process after 32 min, and turned back to my Lye relaxer to correct the not only underprocessed areas but restored my shine, that no-lye had my hair look soo dry it looked grey,:eek: , never again. I say go to professional stylist or someone you know that knows what they are doing if you are afraid of jacking your hair up. HTH