Kinda Just Thinking Out Loud Here.... Product Suggestions And Brands Are Welcome Here :)

Curls&Justice417

I think for 2017 I'm going to try to use mostly natural products for my hair. When I was relaxed I could pretty much use anything as long as it wasn't too heavy or oily. Now that I'm natural (about 5 years strong, but never really cared for it the way I should) I think my hair could really flourish from it. I've never really been too concerned whether or not a product had cones or sulfates (and I'm still not. I don't think I'll ever totally get rid of them) but I think I'm going to go for a more natural approach and see how my hair does. Especially since I'm wearing more curly styles. I have some deep conditioners and products that I love for my flat ironed looks (Aussie 3 Minute and Garnier Whole Blends serum:lick:) but I want to lay off direct heat that for awhile. Mind you, I am not afraid of my flat iron, but I definitely will not be using it once a week like I used to.
My hair tends to get weighed down easily, but I think that can be combated by not being so heavy handed lol I have already found some delicious oils that my hair loves.

Anyway, where I live the selection for those kinds of products isn't great. I don't mind ordering online, but I'd rather try some stuff that I can get at the stores first. I tried Shea Moisture a few years ago, the raw shea butter line and I hated it, but they have so many different lines out now I'm willing to give it another shot. I was going to try the Jamaican Black Castor oil line and the Honey Manuka line. I also want to try the Moisture Milk and the twist defining cream from As I Am. What are your guy's thoughts on any of those if you've tried them?
I'd also like to eventually try Silk Dreams and Fortify'd Naturals but I have to order those. Any brand suggestions are welcome! I bought Eden Bodyworks at Sally's but didn't like the smell. Too sweet. But if the leave in is as good as people were saying it was then I can look past that if nothing else works lol

Here's to a more natural 2017!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
If your hair is easily weighed down (like mine), then try grapeseed oil. I use it on my scalp mixed with essential oils, on my ends, and I might add it to my DC later.

I'm a big fan ofor Kerastase and Herbal Essences products. Both can be found on the ground at Target. They smell fantastic and have great ingredients.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hi!

What is your hair's porosity? Do you mainly wear wngo's, or do you mainly wear twist-outs or braid-outs? Are most of your hair strands fine?

My favorite gel with great/natural ingredients: Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker, at Target, WalMart, etc.

I second grape seed oil and NaturelleGrow. I am loving Jakeala (at Etsy.com), especially the balancing Beer Conditioner and Beau Vert Masque. The ingredients are amazing. The marshmallow root cowash bar is the best thing I've ever smelled, though it could use a little more slip.

I try to use products with only natural ingredients, as well. I currently spend a substantial amount in shipping fees and hope to reduce that either by purchasing from only 1-2 vendors during sales or finding on-the-ground products instead.

To that end, I plan to trial The Mane Choice Ancient Egyptian line. Customer service emailed me that it should be in Sally's around the middle of January. Ingredients look great!

Good luck honing in on products. Please let us know what you find!

Last edited:

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
If your hair is easily weighed down (like mine), then try grapeseed oil. I use it on my scalp mixed with essential oils, on my ends, and I might add it to my DC later.

I'm a big fan ofor Kerastase and Herbal Essences products. Both can be found on the ground at Target. They smell fantastic and have great ingredients.
My hair is super easily weighed down too. It despises product. I like Joico conditioners. I know, not natural :lol: but natural products frighten me away because I fear they tend to leave build up.

Curls&Justice417

Hi!

What is your hair's porosity? Do you mainly wear wngo's, or do you mainly wear twist-outs or braid-outs? Are most of your hair strands fine?

My favorite gel with great/natural ingredients: Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker, at Target, WalMart, etc.

I second grape seed oil and NaturelleGrow.

I try to use products with only natural ingredients, as well. I currently spend a substantial amount in shipping fees and hope to reduce that either by purchasing from only 1-2 vendors during sakes or finding on-the-ground products instead.

To that end, I plan to trial The Mane Choice Ancient Egyptian line. Customer service emailed me that it should be in Sally's around the middle of January. Ingredients look great!

Good luck honing in on products. Please let us know what you find!

I *think* my hair is on the normal/high porosity side. It seems to have characteristics of both high and low porosity. And I don't do wash n gos. I'm really liking flat twist outs. And I want to try some curlformers and perm rod sets. And I'd say most of my hair is fine/medium with normal density.
Camille Rose Naturals! That's the brand I was trying to think of earlier. I saw them at Target.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I *think* my hair is on the normal/high porosity side. It seems to have characteristics of both high and low porosity. And I don't do wash n gos. I'm really liking flat twist outs. And I want to try some curlformers and perm rod sets. And I'd say most of my hair is fine/medium with normal density.
Camille Rose Naturals! That's the brand I was trying to think of earlier. I saw them at Target.

Cool! :smile: So you need recommendations for twisting butters and setting lotions? Any other product type? Hopefully that will help folks help you. :smile: I'll be taking notes. :smile:

Curls&Justice417

I'm looking for anything really! Good shampoos, masks, leave ins. Anything but gels, really lol Shea Moisture is buy 2 get 1 free at Sally's right now :bouncy: lol

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
I've been itching to try their moisture balm!
I tried it because its so loved on this board. It's too heavy for my hair at least for straight styles. I felt as if it left residue. If you really want to try it I can send you the rest of mine if you just pay shipping :lol:
My Joico staples are the K Pak Intense Hydrator and the K Pak conditioner. I also like K Pak Reconstructor.
And I occasionally use the Moisture Recover conditioner.
My number one is the Intense Hydrator. It's bae lol.