kinky

laurend085

Getting kinky twists done now..it hurts, the hair not being used is held in a rubber band or metal clip they pull the next piece of hair/part with a metal clip without taking it out the rubberband, I see that towards the top of some of them pieces of my hair r sticking out, I saw on another girl who was getting these done earlier that had this big pair of scissors and going up and down the twists I guess cutting the flyaways, there r 2 girls on my head with 2 different braiding styles, my head will hurt for days, have about 2 hours to go...just venting..

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
well get up out the chair. do you want them snipping at your 'flyaways'? you can watch some tutorials on youtube and practice doing kinky twists the right way.

Nonie

That's funny that you were able to gossip about them while they worked on your hair, you brave and sneaky person you! :giggle:

I'm so sorry you sat through that. Why didn't you wince in pain and whine so they'd be more gentle? :spank: Anyway, I'm glad you didn't let them cut the flyaways. At least now you know what to expect and not to go back there. :bighug:

winnettag

They weren't gentle at all, but that's nothing new unfortunately. :sad:
I remember when I used to get my braids & twists done professionally they would look at me all confused when I told them not to cut or burn off (they quickly went up or down the braid with a lighter :nono:) the flyaways!

Desarae

Tell them not to "clean up" your braids!! Your hair will be cut if you let them.

You must be at an african braid shop.

Beauty4Ashes

Are you at sister sister? They are the only ones I know that pull "our" hair out of a clamp and then they have the nerve to cop an attitude when you mention it....

laurend085

MAN!!! YALL...it gets worse..

One of the girls on my head had the nerve to pick up the scissors AGAIN after she had done her part..the other girl told her "no no! She doesn't want her hair cut". I looked at her through the mirror and she put em down. THEN later the lady who I think is one of the owners came to help braid for a second and she says to me "you know mam if u cut the hair it will grow back, your hair is straight so it will stick out" I was yea but I don't want to cut my hair. Then she says "I guess ur going to wear it in a ponytail all the time?" I was like yea sure. Wait a minute that's not it. The other girl (the one that told the other braider not to cut my hair) tried to cut my hair! I thought she was on my side! What she did was, while I was watchin tv she had grabbed the scissors and was beginning to cut. What saved me was the customer next to me said "she didn't want her hair cut". I looked up and was like no I already told yall I don't want it cut. After it was said and done the owner came to me and was like "oh the color is so pretty! She did a good job with the twists". I guess she wants me to come back. NOT! The other thing that bothered me was they kept speaking in their language. I don't know what it is but I know their Nigerian and I think they were probly talkin bout me cuz I wouldn't let e$ cut my hair.

winnettag

MAN!!! YALL...it gets worse..

One of the girls on my head had the nerve to pick up the scissors AGAIN after she had done her part..the other girl told her "no no! She doesn't want her hair cut". I looked at her through the mirror and she put em down. THEN later the lady who I think is one of the owners came to help braid for a second and she says to me "you know mam if u cut the hair it will grow back, your hair is straight so it will stick out" I was yea but I don't want to cut my hair. Then she says "I guess ur going to wear it in a ponytail all the time?" I was like yea sure. Wait a minute that's not it. The other girl (the one that told the other braider not to cut my hair) tried to cut my hair! I thought she was on my side! What she did was, while I was watchin tv she had grabbed the scissors and was beginning to cut. What saved me was the customer next to me said "she didn't want her hair cut". I looked up and was like no I already told yall I don't want it cut. After it was said and done the owner came to me and was like "oh the color is so pretty! She did a good job with the twists". I guess she wants me to come back. NOT! The other thing that bothered me was they kept speaking in their language. I don't know what it is but I know their Nigerian and I think they were probly talkin bout me cuz I wouldn't let e$ cut my hair.

:nono::nono:
Thank goodness that nice customer was looking out for you!
I wonder if they're one of Nikos' cousins? :sekret:

I've NEVER been to a shop where they didn't talk to each other or on the phone in another language the WHOLE time. :ohwell:

teysmith

They always ignore how you want things done..They did that to me the last time I went for micros.. I told them not to make them to small and to braid pass my hair...they did neither!:(

The lady next to me who was getting her hair done in micros had to argue with them about not putting mousse on hair...they did it anyway. said it would make the braids look and feel alot better...

but wouldnt that be more like dusting rather than cutting..when they clean up the braids? I dont know just a thought..

teysmith

:nono::nono:
Thank goodness that nice customer was looking out for you!
I wonder if they're one of Nikos' cousins? :sekret:

I've NEVER been to a shop where they didn't talk to each other or on the phone in another language the WHOLE time. :ohwell:

lol.the last time I went to one They spoke really good english and spoke it most of the time I was there even to each other...That was my first time to see that. They werent all from the same country or spoke the same language so I guess that just made it easier for everyone

winnettag

They always ignore how you want things done..They did that to me the last time I went for micros.. I told them not to make them to small and to braid pass my hair...they did neither!:(

The lady next to me who was getting her hair done in micros had to argue with them about not putting mousse on hair...they did it anyway. said it would make the braids look and feel alot better...

but wouldnt that be more like dusting rather than cutting..when they clean up the braids? I dont know just a thought..

I guess it's all relative, but my definition of dusting is around 1/8 of an inch. There can be up to a whole inch of hair sticking out (from my own experience).
And also, if your ends are in good shape and you don't even need a tiny dusting, you're just losing length.

winnettag

lol.the last time I went to one They spoke really good english and spoke it most of the time I was there even to each other...That was my first time to see that. They werent all from the same country or spoke the same language so I guess that just made it easier for everyone

Lol, really? That was very considerate of them. :yep:

happylife

Don't know how you kept your cool but bravo for doing so!

Sorry for the nightmare you went through with those deaf idiots.

angenoir

Glad you stopped them from 'trimming'!

I always think that the mark of a good braider is one who does NOT need to trim off those sticking out ends. Because they should be able to braid neat enough to have no major fly-aways

When I do my hair at home they do a superb neat job and they NEVER have to trim off any flyaways... Nonie, when you get your hair braided at home they never do that do they? At least I have never seen it done. I saw it only when I moved away from home.

Nonie

Nonie, when you get your hair braided at home they never do that do they? At least I have never seen it done. I saw it only when I moved away from home.

You're right, I never saw that done in Kenya at all. My stylist never did. I heard of it first time from my friend here and had to talk he out of it. And I don't think it's anything like dusting. Sometimes the hairs that stick out are a loop not a sharp end. So what exactly happens to that strand? :nono:

lolascurls

Ok, not all Nigerians are that rude! Also there are 256 languages in Nigeria alone (3 main languages other than English) so they may still all be from the same country. :ohwell:
Third, old habits die hard. I had my hair done in Senegalese Twists in Ghana and they did the burning with a lighter and snipping with scissors.
The point is, you can learn to do it how you like it done (that was the first time in 3-4 years I'd let someone else do my hair, and I learnt my lesson).
On youtube, check out lolascrib channel for the Kinky twist tutorial video.:yep:

I'm sorry you had to go through a SHOP-FUL of ignorant, rude hair ladies. So annoying when they keep trying to do something you've told them not to!:wallbash:

ceecy29

you should've asked if you could cut their hair first. i'm sure they would've backed off then.

Haha! I'm Nigerian, and when I went home last Christmas, the girl wanted to do that to my hair after installing cornrows. I asked her to sit in the chair so I could cut her hair, she didn't disturb me after that.

I think you just need to tell them what you want and be emphatic, 'cos the only reason they insist on sticking to their practices is that they believe it looks neater that way and a neat job may earn them referrals. If you no likey, just speak up.