Kitchen ingredients - Do you tell your stylist?

cheveux

I haven't been to the salon since I joined this forum but expect to be going soon. I got a recommendation from one of my hair idols on this board and she kindly suggested that I keep the use of hair recipes to myself. I think it's a good suggestion. But I wonder if any of you share with your stylist some of the kitchen products you incorporate into your regimen (i.e., olive oil, honey, milk, mayonaise, etc.) or even products you might get from health food stores (essential oils) INCLUDING vitamins?

If not, why not? If so, how do they react?
Cheveux

sweetcocoa

No, because the few times I did, they just looked at me like I had no idea what I was talking about...and then proceeded to try to get me to buy a product the salon carried....to which I never gave in and brought...
My regime is working just fine the way it is.

Compassion

Yea, I don't share with them either. During my last relaxer visit my stylist commented on the condition of my hair. He even wanted to know what products I had been using. I told him, and then stated that I wash my hair several times weekly. He then replied, "that will dry your hair out." So I just keep quiet. I don't need any discouragement. As long as he's relaxing my hair right, I don't say much about products or habits.

Blessings,
Compassion

daviine

No becaue I don't want to be looked at like I have three heads. I mentioned the ACV rinses once to my old stylist and she told me to cut back on them. But she also said I read too much stuff on the Internet.......

So much for having an open relationship with your stylist.

OnlyChild

I don't tell either. I don't want to be deemed as "misinformed" just because I didn't get my information from the traditional methods of hair education. Since joining the board, I've gained general knowledge that I think most black women should know about their hair and how to care for it. When I try to offer advice (especially about not using excessive heating appliances) they just ignore me. I would not dare tell my stylist, who makes her living off of most black women's "dependency" for hair maintenance. She would probably tell me I'm just a novice, and that although some of my points may be valid, ultimately she knows best (especially when it comes to trims and touchups).

ny2atl

I agree with all of you. Unfortunately...
I think the stylists do get intimidated if you show hair progress or success that had nothing to do with them. At my last touch up, my stylist also commented that my hair was in "good shape girl" as she says. She didn't even have to trim and she ALLLLWAYS trims! She was very hush mouthed. I just wanted to hear what she'd say so I asked her how my overall hair looked and she said your hair is in very good shape, very good.

THE CLINCHER...!!!! She was offended when I declined the blow dryer and insisted on a roller set. I told her that I have not been using direct head and that my hair has been doing so much better. She got huffy and told me that blow dryers do NOT hurt your hair. You can blow dry and use curling irons as long as your hair is clean!
At that point I didn't say anymore other than that I wanted a roller set. I know somehow she will find a way to take credit for the good shape of my hair.
BUT WE KNOW!!

And like OnlyChild said.... they may also look at it as if we're taking money out of their pockets.

Paris Belle

No, the last stylist had a fit when I asked her to use a moisturizing conditioner after the protein conditioner..

Most don't like for you to really bring your own products.

I'm going to speak to a new stylist and have a consultation with her tomorrow to see if she's the right one for me. (I've never done this before).

smooches

<font color="orange">
NOOOOOOOO....
I used to share but I found that my stylist really can't handle the truth and I can't handle her reactions.

She is always talking about how healthy and moisturized my hair is, but when I told her that I wash every three days she had a fit:
<font color="red">

"UMPH, YOU'RE CONFUSED...BLACK PEOPLE DON'T NEED TO WASH THEIR THAT MUCH!!!"

"YOU NEED TO UNLOOSE THAT PONYTAIL AND LET YOUR HAIR BREATHE!!!"
</font>

So, I don't say too much about what I do and don't do to my hair. To me it's just not worth the trouble.

marabou1

Same here smooches!

After I started noticing how my hairdresser would look irritated when I told her how I was taking care of my hair, I decided to stay mute.

My friends and I usually have our hair appointments on the same day, and when they say "wow, your hair really looks healthy now", I respond, "yes, thanks to my hairdresser and my no longer abusing it at home".

I no longer go into details on how I care for it at home, because I can tell she wants to get full credit.

To be honest, in a way, I don't blame her. It's like a patient telling her Doctor that she doesn't agree with taking a medication her doctor suggested, but she'll try another one because her research proves that her choice is better. Now you know the doctor would be so offended.

I just think that hair schools didn't give enough instructions for keeping black hair healthy. They probably don't know. They're probably just concerned with styling and not the overall health of our hair, and most hairdressers don't realize this.

Integrity

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
marabou1 said:

Same here smooches!

After I started noticing how my hairdresser would look irritated when I told her how I was taking care of my hair, I decided to stay mute.

My friends and I usually have our hair appointments on the same day, and when they say "wow, your hair really looks healthy now", I respond, "yes, thanks to my hairdresser and my no longer abusing it at home".

I no longer go into details on how I care for it at home, because I can tell she wants to get full credit.

To be honest, in a way, I don't blame her. It's like a patient telling her Doctor that she doesn't agree with taking a medication her doctor suggested, but she'll try another one because her research proves that her choice is better. Now you know the doctor would be so offended.

I just think that hair schools didn't give enough instructions for keeping black hair healthy. They probably don't know. They're probably just concerned with styling and not the overall health of our hair, and most hairdressers don't realize this.

[/ QUOTE ]

so true about the hair schools!!!

about the stylists getting offended though...a TRUE professional shouldnt get offended, they take notes and see if it works for others and find out more by research etc... i know for a fact that doctors do this when patients use a marketed drug for off-label use, get other unexpected side effects etc etc... without this kind of info knowledge gets stunted...

Compassion

Carmen I know EXACTLY what you mean. I asked my stylist to put some oil on my hair while it was wet. I wanted the moisture to be sealed in. He just wants to shampoo me, leave me in the bowl with some conditioner on for hot minute, and then comb me and spray some lottabody on my hair and roll. Nope. I can't go for three days after leaving the salon, with no oil in my hair as a sealant. I took some WGO with me and told him to apply it while my hair was still wet. He was like, "ok, you want it on before or after I put on the setting lotion?" Then he said, "this stuff has protein in it..you really need to watch how much your using." Whatever!! He doesn't know. And sadly, he's the best the city has to offer. And I say that loosely. He's the best as far as adding the least amount of damage to your hair.

Compassion

ms_kenesha

My stylist doesn't ask &amp; I don't tell, but she must know I take good care of my hair because I've been seeing her for almost a year now and other than my initial cut I got from her she's only had to trim my ends twice, the last trim being 6 wks. ago. I guess she feels hey she's doing good w/ whatever she does at home in between my touch-ups (because I only go to her for touch-ups). She's more knowledgeable than any other stylist I've been, too. Like when you ask for a blow-dry she always does a pre-dry under the hooded dryer until you're 90% dry and then uses the blow dryer and a paddle brush for the other 10%. I'm pretty happy with my hairdresser, but I still don't tell my secrets because I don't want her looking at me like I'm a weirdo!

elliot

My hairdresser suggested adding olive oil to my home conditioner prolly about a year ago.
But I have not told her about the other "stuff" that I use in my hair.

I got a touch up 2 weeks ago and she commented that my hair had grown and looked healthy. My reply was that I was not using heat--which is true and taking my vitamins daily. Now, I did not disclose which vitamins and how many.

Lilydrake

No. I already did answer some stylists with their questions, and already tell some friends and relations. But they could say these kitchen ingredients can break your hair if you use any of them in one week. About a month, they didn't know until they realized. And some of the people said that they never heard about these and they wouldn't use any of them.

And I ask some relations who still did use some kitchen ingredients in every month, they said that they wouldn't tell their stylists exactly.

Country gal

My hair stylist is pretty informative. I only go to her for touch ups and coloring. I told her some of things I have read on the board. However, I learned the hard way that I can not tell people all the things I do to my hair. My grandmother just told me that I wash my hair too much and that it will not grow long from frequent washings.