Kitchen-tician's Transitioning...

kitchen_tician

That's right ladies, I'm on my "Natural Hair Journey"!!! :weird: I just couldn't take seeing another head of beautiful natural healthy hair. I've secretly yearned for this for so long and I've finally built up the courage to do it, but without the BC.

I've compiled a list of reasons and some of my plans. Of course this is all subject to change. :D (sorry so long) Oh yeah I've updated pics as well.

*REASONS*
1. I want to improve my health in all ways, including reducing chemicals and toxins that I apply to my hair
2. My last few relaxers weren’t really straightening my hair and I could no longer tell the difference between my newgrowth and relaxed hair. So I figured, why fight it and just go with the flow. :ohwell:
3. I like my natural hair texture and like the flexibility of wearing my hair straight or natural
4. All of the beautiful natural ladies on LHCF :yep:
5. I want to experience my natural hair before I die :grin:

*Q&A*
1. No, I don’t plan on big chopping. I would consider it if I didn’t have so much hair to chop and I’m just plain ol’ scared. We’ll see how it goes.
2. My last Relaxer was May 10, 2005
3. I tried to transition a couple of years ago, but it wasn’t easy. I went to a hair stylist every 2/3 weeks to get my hair “pressed” with the stove irons and the heat was very damaging. I don't plan on going to a hair stylist except for RARE occassions.
4. I’m transitioning from an Affirm Lye Mild relaxer. I relaxed 3-4x's per year
5. No, I don't want to texturize. I think I've somewhat experienced that for the past year or so.
6. No, so far it hasn’t been much of a challenge to transition. I’ve been wearing my phony pony most of the time.

*MY PLAN*
1. Summer of 2005, I mostly did the “wash n go” like in my avatar
2. For now, I’ve returned to pooing, blowdrying and hotcurling my hair every 2/3 weeks. This makes it SUPER easy to manage my hair without lots of manipulation.
3. I don’t want to use too much heat because I don’t want to permanently damage my natural hair texture, so I'm sure this will change
4. At night, I still wear my hair in my scrunchi bun with a silk scarf
5. And lastly, if ALL else fails, I’ll just end up relaxing 2x per year. :look:

*PRODUCTS & ROUTINE*
Still working on it.

1. I still use poo, conditioner, leave in, grease/oil and protein treatments, but I’m still learning so I don’t know what my new routine and products will be. I’ve started using whipped shea butter and it works nicely.

Many thanks to the LHCF family, for giving me the courage and knowledge to take the “Natural Journey”. Much hair success ladies!!! :D

Last edited:

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
Congratz and good luck with your decision. I look forward to reading more about your hair journey! :)

divinefavor

Congratulations on your decision to go natural!!! I wish I had the tenacity to do the same! I wish you much success in your "Natural Journey." :)

CurleeDST

Aahhh I am so excited for you!!! You have a beautiful head of hair so the transition won't really seem like one. You have amazing style as well. My girlfriend transitioned for 18 months while she was pregnant and she would press the roots and slowly cut out the perm and now that she has fully transitioined she loves it and wonders what took her so long. BTW she has very long hair (just above BSL) and her husband now loves the versatility because she can wear it kinky/ curly or straightened so every week he is with a "new" woman! Gotta love it!

Congratulations on your decision and if you need any hints, tips or pointers feel free to contact me.

kitchen_tician said:
That's right ladies, I'm on my "Natural Hair Journey"!!! :weird: I just couldn't take seeing another head of beautiful natural healthy hair. I've secretly yearned for this for so long and I've finally built up the courage to do it, but without the BC.

I've compiled a list of reasons and some of my plans. Of course this is all subject to change. :D (sorry so long) Oh yeah I've updated pics as well.

*REASONS*
1. I want to improve my health in all ways, including reducing chemicals and toxins that I apply to my hair
2. My last few relaxers weren’t really straightening my hair and I could no longer tell the difference between my newgrowth and relaxed hair. So I figured, why fight it and just go with the flow. :ohwell:
3. I like my natural hair texture and like the flexibility of wearing my hair straight or natural
4. All of the beautiful natural ladies on LHCF :yep:
5. I want to experience my natural hair before I die :grin:

*Q&A*
1. No, I don’t plan on big chopping. I would consider it if I didn’t have so much hair to chop and I’m just plain ol’ scared. We’ll see how it goes.
2. My last Relaxer was May 10, 2005
3. I tried to transition a couple of years ago, but it wasn’t easy. I went to a hair stylist every 2/3 weeks to get my hair “pressed” with the stove irons and the heat was very damaging. I don't plan on going to a hair stylist except for RARE occassions.
4. I’m transitioning from an Affirm Lye Mild relaxer. I relaxed 3-4x's per year
5. No, I don't want to texturize. I think I've somewhat experienced that for the past year or so.
6. No, so far it hasn’t been much of a challenge to transition. I’ve been wearing my phony pony most of the time.

*MY PLAN*
1. Summer of 2005, I mostly did the “wash n go” like in my avatar
2. For now, I’ve returned to pooing, blowdrying and hotcurling my hair every 2/3 weeks. This makes it SUPER easy to manage my hair without lots of manipulation.
3. I don’t want to use too much heat because I don’t want to permanently damage my natural hair texture, so I'm sure this will change
4. At night, I still wear my hair in my scrunchi bun with a silk scarf
5. And lastly, if ALL else fails, I’ll just end up relaxing 2x per year. :look:

*PRODUCTS & ROUTINE*
Still working on it.

1. I still use poo, conditioner, leave in, grease/oil and protein treatments, but I’m still learning so I don’t know what my new routine and products will be. I’ve started using whipped shea butter and it works nicely.

Many thanks to the LHCF family, for giving me the courage and knowledge to take the “Natural Journey”. Much hair success ladies!!! :D

Healthb4Length

Congrats girl...I know you'll make it hot! Your hair is always on point! I just love the rock star hair in your siggy:D .

natstar

Yay :D - Kitchentician- I am happy for you- I am sure your hair will be gorgeous no matter what style u wear it in.

dhill830

Good luck KT with your transisiton... I'm sure your hair will look beautiful no matter what you decide

L

lkg4healthyhair

Congrats and good luck on your hair journey.

You are already off to a great start :)

lolla2005

Congratlations on your decision to go natural!!! I already love your little waves...they are beautiful!!!! Good luck ;)

shellzfoshizzle

Congrats and good luck Kitchen! I remember when I first joined LHCF one year ago your album was the first one I ever saw and I was amazed at how your hair was AND you did it yourself! I am also in the beginning stages of transitioning also, so I'm here with cha! Good luck girl!

Cheleigh

Congratulations on your decision to transition. :)

I know what it feels like to not want to cut your hair off--I trimmed two inches last night, and even though I'm going to BC in March, part of me was like "but it's just about at armpit now!" :p

I definately know that I cannot do my own BC--I just can't do it!

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Amongst the positives of natural hair, one definite is that you can color your hair a bit more than those with relaxed hair and not receive as much damage:)

J

JenniferMD

Congrats! It seems like you've given this a lot of thought, so I'm so happy for you!

Eiano

Threads like these, (women with Long @$$ hair) make me (who wants to relax) stay natural, so thanks for the inspiration Kitchentica!!