Knots/shedding After Cornrows?

Divah97

Hi guys. I've been putting cornrows in my hair for the past few weeks. I was never a cornrow wearer in the past. The first time I left them in for almost a month, I greased my scalp every once in a while and moisturized frequently. I noticed I got a lot of shedding(or breakage?) with knots and buildup when I took them down. I made sure to mist my hair with water and use conditioner.

I'm taking out another set after leaving them in for one week and while its not as much shedding (since its only been 1 week), I'm still noticing knots taking out long strands of hair below it

Its not too often, I might get 3-4 knots like this of varying sizes each time I take down my hair, but I'm still concerned. what could it be? Improper braiding technique? Improper detangling? How much shedding is too much? I'm relaxed with low porosity hair if it helps

Missjaxon

Hi guys. I've been putting cornrows in my hair for the past few weeks. I was never a cornrow wearer in the past. The first time I left them in for almost a month, I greased my scalp every once in a while and moisturized frequently. I noticed I got a lot of shedding(or breakage?) with knots and buildup when I took them down. I made sure to mist my hair with water and use conditioner.

I'm taking out another set after leaving them in for one week and while its not as much shedding (since its only been 1 week), I'm still noticing knots taking out long strands of hair below it

Its not too often, I might get 3-4 knots like this of varying sizes each time I take down my hair, but I'm still concerned. what could it be? Improper braiding technique? Improper detangling? How much shedding is too much? I'm relaxed with low porosity hair if it helps

@Divah97
I think that your problem may be solve by using a light moisturizer that reactivates with steam or a mist of water or use an actual braid spray. Conditioners are normally too heavy to use as a leave in without considerable dilution to avoid buildup. If you are not already, try a light application of grease because it can contribute to buildup as well. With cornrows, braids or twists it's important to make sure your hair is properly detangled first. The knots may be the result of shed hairs that were left behind that combined with the buildup. HTH

silenttullip

Make sure you detangle each line before it's braided.
Make sure the braider is familiar with natural hair.
Leave the grease only for your ends
Spray section, detangle, braid.
Check for knots after you detangle and clip them. Like a search and destroy

Or relax on cornrows try individual braids

MzSwift

Make sure you detangle each line before it's braided.
Make sure the braider is familiar with natural hair.
Leave the grease only for your ends
Spray section, detangle, braid.
Check for knots after you detangle and clip them. Like a search and destroy

Or relax on cornrows try individual braids

This is what I've had to do :(

Thanks, ladies. I appreciate all of the tips in here.

I usually keep my moisturizing mix at least 85% water when in cornrows but I kept getting knots. It would take me a long time to take down my cornrows. And as my hair got longer, the worse it got. I know for a fact it's my own fault bc I only learned how to cornrow in the last few years but I don't trust anyone else with my hair.

So I've decided that any wigs, crochet or weave styles can be accomplished by doing plaits and a weaving cap. It gets flat enough for the curly styles that I tend to rock.