Komaza Care HAIR ANALYSIS Service - Rave!

faithVA

So I had my call with Jenn on Monday and I’m very pleased with the results. For the 4 weeks leading up to submitting my results I was trying out the water only hair washing method (using only a leave in daily, but otherwise ONLY water.) The day that I submitted, I washed with clay. I’d asked prior to if using clay to cleanse would be ok. She said I’d be the first, but she’d be up for checking out the sample and if she couldn’t see the cortex<?> she’d let me know so that I could submit another sample after doing a shampoo wash. Note: It took 4 weeks plus a day for my phone consultation since the wash. In that time I continued with the water only washing.

When I saw the images I was disheartened. There weren’t too many images of splits and damage, but a LOT of buildup and diminished root sheaths. All, I could think was, am I possibly going bald. I didn’t think so – there is an explanation for it – but still. Also, I’m really liking the water only and didn’t want to hear that I would have to leave it, though I’m not married to the method so I don’t mind changing.

I’m definitely glad that I got the phone consultation because some of her recommendations would not have been appropriate for me and so we were able to flush things out so that they would work. Also, the phone consultation is much more detailed than the report.

Hair Porosity: Normal- High in damaged area
Hair Texture: .049mm-.079mm fine/med
Hair Length: 11-12 inches

Observation: Breakage, mid shaft splits, split ends and diminishing root sheaths (early signs of thinning due to recent pregnancy). She did mention that mid shaft splits do occur because of the bends in our hair.

Recommendations:
- Cut 1/2 inch, then ¼ inch every 12 weeks. Using an expensive and sharp pair of scissors.
- I need protein externally AND internally, especially since I’m breastfeeding. For the external protein, I should use it every two weeks for three months, then I can switch to monthly.
- She said my water was a bit low and made a recommendation, but when I told her what my height and weight was, she agreed that the amount that I was consuming was fine.
- I should include shampoo every one to two weeks. Do not cowash. I can pre poo with coconut oil if I feel like my shampoo is too harsh. Also, it’s not necessary to switch up my shampoos and that I shouldn’t be afraid of sulphate shampoos.
- She recommended Bountiful Mane Serum to help anchor the roots to my head and help strengthen them (to counter the pp shedding.)

She recommended a few vitamins/supplements to take after I’m done breastfeeding. Exercise, healthy foods, etc.

Overall, we concluded that I should go back to the regimen that I was doing prior to trying water only because she really liked it – basically clay washing with shampoo washes thrown in (I think that I will shampoo every 3 to 4 weeks instead of every 2), super low manipulation (two strand twists/washing in them/ then refreshing every other week), finger combing/detangling, broccoli seed oil to seal, my own moisturizer. I think that there was too much build up with water only and she suggested the shampoos to make sure that my scalp stayed healthy.

Pics:
1 – Lifted cuticles and the skinny hair is breakage
2 – Mid shaft split
3 – Breakage. That part of the hair is light and then it gets darker. The light/dark show where I’m missing protein
4 – Complex knot with build up
7 – Diminishing root sheath/ build up
9 – Cuticles slightly lifted and look good
10 – Cuticles are dry and lifted

My referral code is: D2J3px
Thanks for the update. It was quite helpful.

If you aren't using any product with water only, what is the source of build up? Sebum?

snoop

@faithVA Well I was using my leave in and sebum, but I wasn't doing oil rinses and shampoo like Naptural85 in her "water only".

I think what I will do is continue water rinsing during the week. I like the way it feels and she says that it would be good for rinsing away sweat and such. Then I will continue as before with the clay washes, conditioner rinses, shampoos every couple of weeks and protein treatments as suggested.

Leo24Rule

So the analysis was very helpful in the sense that the $65 was well spent & y'all now see a turn around in your hair?

faithVA

@faithVA Well I was using my leave in and sebum, but I wasn't doing oil rinses and shampoo like Naptural85 in her "water only".

I think what I will do is continue water rinsing during the week. I like the way it feels and she says that it would be good for rinsing away sweat and such. Then I will continue as before with the clay washes, conditioner rinses, shampoos every couple of weeks and protein treatments as suggested.
OK sounds like the leave in was more of the source of build up. I think your plan sounds like a good one.

I think what you said about the phone call is good. If a person is having problems the phone call is crucial to explain things. The written piece isn't enough.

I may do another analysis next year to see how my hair is progressing.

snoop

OK sounds like the leave in was more of the source of build up. I think your plan sounds like a good one.

I think what you said about the phone call is good. If a person is having problems the phone call is crucial to explain things. The written piece isn't enough.

I may do another analysis next year to see how my hair is progressing.

Agreed on both things. Looking at the written report, I would have been a bit discouraged -- like I would have thought that I would have had to start a new regimen, however, after describing my regimen in real time she actually said it warms her heart to hear it (i.e. finger detangling/combing, shampooing -- I guess a lot of people just co wash, low manipulation, etc.) which is why she said to stick with that. Also for those who haven't done the process, the written report comes after the phone consult if you do the phone consult option.

snoop

Interesting how the experts know. I wonder if their hair is healthy & down their backs???

You can read about why the company started here. There are a couple of pictures, but I don't know how recent. I don't their quest is to help people have long hair so much as it is to have healthy hair. (Not everyone is looking to have hair down to their backs.)

I know that we started our phone consultation talking about how to nourish my body and maintain my health because I'm bf'ing. A good portion of my write-up was related to that as well -- a few mentions on vitamins and mostly the types of food to consume. I think that they are more concerned about the health of your hair and scalp as it could mean signs of unhealthiness in your body. Long hair as a result of this process would be a bonus.

To add: There is a questionnaire that you complete prior to sending off your hair sample which provides them with context as to what they are seeing under the microscope.

sikora

Interesting how the experts know. I wonder if their hair is healthy & down their backs???

I don't know about "down their backs" but I gather that Jenn's hair is not short. I spoke with her yesterday and I was telling her how short my hair was since my corrective cut and she expressed that she sometimes wishes her hair was short so it wouldn't be as much to deal with. I'm guessing that she has a decent amount of hair.

LdyKamz

Had to do a search on this thread and see no one has posted since November. Quick question. I already filled out and submitted the questionnaire through the website. Is that the client form they say to include with the sample? Since I submitted it doesn't come up anymore. Should I just put my order number on the envelope for their reference?

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Had to do a search on this thread and see no one has posted since November. Quick question. I already filled out and submitted the questionnaire through the website. Is that the client form they say to include with the sample? Since I submitted it doesn't come up anymore. Should I just put my order number on the envelope for their reference?

I would @KammyGirl. I also included a copy of my questionnaire.

Curls&Justice417

I think this is something that I really need. I want some scientific answers on the state of my hair. I'm just so scared they're going to tell me I need to cut my hair super short.
I noticed the $65 one doesn't include a phone consultation. Will they still include tips and recommendations on how to get your hair on track? Or maybe I should just spring for the $85 analysis.

LdyKamz

I think this is something that I really need. I want some scientific answers on the state of my hair. I'm just so scared they're going to tell me I need to cut my hair super short.
I noticed the $65 one doesn't include a phone consultation. Will they still include tips and recommendations on how to get your hair on track? Or maybe I should just spring for the $85 analysis.
They do include a detailed report if you don't do an over the phone consultation that includes tips, product recs, etc. But speaking is better because you can ask questions and get much more info and discuss your regimen in more detail.

Komaza has come such a long way. I think I might get another analysis except I feel like I only trust Jenn. I hope she's doing well.

Curls&Justice417

I've been reading from a few threads that a lot of high porosity ladies are being advised to not do prolonged deep conditioning treatments, which I get that, but not even sitting under a dryer? I guess if you're super porous that makes sense... you're hair is still going to absorb product. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how porous my hair is. I just can't imagine not using heat because I feel like I wouldn't get the whole benefits of my DC.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I've been reading from a few threads that a lot of high porosity ladies are being advised to not do prolonged deep conditioning treatments, which I get that, but not even sitting under a dryer? I guess if you're super porous that makes sense... you're hair is still going to absorb product. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how porous my hair is. I just can't imagine not using heat because I feel like I wouldn't get the whole benefits of my DC.

Interesting.

I can't remember WHERE I heard/read this, but it helped me tremendously:
Porosity is not necessarily permanent or the same for every area of a person's mane. (Most of) my hair's hipo, but I go ahead and apply either wet or dry heat (depending on the type of treatment), because some areas of my hair may be normpo (have normal porosity), or due to whatever has been on my hair, its porosity may be higher or lower than it usually is. I guess once I finally invest in an analysis, they'll be able to let me know if that has been problematic.

I haven't felt like dry/wet heat drives the product in too much into my hipo hair, or anything. I can't even wrap my head around the idea. Is there some side effect or negative consequence to doing prolonged treatments on hipo hair, I wonder?

However, I don't do prolonged treatments anymore, anyway, after having listened to several GreenBeauty YouTube channel videos. I always end up getting product on my scalp, and I don't want to create a dark, damp environment on my scalp for prolonged periods of time, as the GreenBeauty author discussed and illustrated in one of her videos. DCing for 30 to 60 minutes works great, and I can't tell the difference between doing THAT and leaving a DC in overnight. Results are about the same for me. I wonder if this is different for others?

Curls&Justice417

I think it has something to do with hydral fatigue and maybe your hair absorbing TOO much? I'm too sure, honestly. I'm probably going to go with Gooseprints's analysis off Etsy since it's more on my price range and essentially seems like the same thing just without the phone consultation. And as long as my questions are answered via email like she says I'll be good. Plus, I absolutely love her blog.

Curls&Justice417

Ok ladies - my analysis may not be as helpful because my hair is not healthy. But it confirmed everything I was thinking.

My hair is severely damaged which is why it is breaking and I can't seem to get a handle on it. Somewhere over the past 2 years I have heat damaged my hair and the hair has been splitting all the way up the shaft. It didn't change my texture but it destroyed the protein in my hair. This probably goes back as far as Dec 2010. I think I used heat 3 times 12/10, 4/11 and 9/11 for length checks. But I think only 12/10 was the full head. I think I only did the back for the others.

Anyway, the damage is so severe her recommendation is to save it I need to cut my hair to 2". This I could already see coming.

She also confirmed that I am low porosity. My cuticle lays very flat. And she says when my hair is healthy I should not do protein treatments. But I do not have to avoid products with regular wheat protein or silk amino acids.

Since I am close to menopause she spoke to me a lot about diet, exercise and supplements to counteract the hormonal changes that are affecting my hair and scalp. She said she noticed hair loss and wants to make sure we reverse it if possible. And she was concerned about the high level of shedding. I have been working on my hair loss for the past year and I think my shedding is much less than it used to be. She said that henna would probably make my hair more brittle because my cuticle was so flat.

She provided a lot of pictures of my healthy hair and my other hair. She showed me pictures of what hair looks like when its thinning. She gave me recommendations on supplements with dosages. She was fine with the hair products I am using.

She takes her time and answers any questions.

Unfortunately because I don't really have much healthy hair she couldn't give me a lot of help on a new regimen. She said I need to get the cut to see what type of hair I have. But she said I could send her questions at any time. And she wants to stay in touch with me during the 3 months to see how I am progressing.

I know this was posted a couple years ago, but were your results something that took you by surprise or were you expecting to find out your hair was damaged? What kind of problems were you facing beforehand (severe breakage, super dry hair, excessive shedding, etc)? I'm just curious because I don't think my hair is severely damaged, but I second guess myself. I get some broken hairs when I comb (not a ton, maybe 5-8...I don't know if that's an "average" amount.) I'm just afraid my results are going to come way out of left field and I'm going to be told to cut my hair to to an inch long due to midshaft splits, cuticle loss, etc... I definitely don't have the confidence to pull off a BC like a lot of ladies on this board. The shortest I'll ever want my hair chin length. Not to mention I haven't had healthy LONG (I'm talking APL or longer) hair in like 15 years...it's either been damaged or cut short. Back then I didn't even care about hair. I want healthy long hair!
Anyway, maybe I'm just overthinking this hair thing.

gemruby41

I had a Komaza Care Analysis done awhile back. My hair is high porosity according to the analysis. She advised me to not DC for long periods of time, and that I didn't need heat to DC. Her advice worked for me. I only leave conditioner on my hair for 5-10 minutes. When I use to extend my deep conditioning times, my hair would be mushy. On top of that, sometimes I use to use a steamer making it worse. Because my hair is porous, when I apply conditioner it absorbs quickly into my hair.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I had a Komaza Care Analysis done awhile back. My hair is high porosity according to the analysis. She advised me to not DC for long periods of time, and that I didn't need heat to DC. Her advice worked for me. I only leave conditioner on my hair for 5-10 minutes. When I use to extend my deep conditioning times, my hair would be mushy. On top of that, sometimes I use to use a steamer making it worse. Because my hair is porous, when I apply conditioner it absorbs quickly into my hair.

Hmm. Mushiness does not resonate with me. Product absorbing quickly does. If it turns out I'm not hipo :fistshake: . . . :look: :lol:

vevster

I think this is my issue.