Korean BSS Topic Agains: Black-owned Entrepreneur Interviews

AltheaGarden

It's stuff like this that made me reluctant to do business with these people. My problem is why does it take us so long to recognize things and why don't we do something about it right away?? Sometimes I feel like the majority of black people out there just don't care if people blood suck from us. And it's not that they are uneducated because many times I have heard black women complain about KBSS yet what do they do??? Continue to spend their money at KBSS. Is getting weaves and wigs that serious!!!!!!!!!!! I mean is it??? Is that how heavy this weave and wig addiction is? I don't wear weaves or wigs so somebody please help me understand.

I think that there are a lot of Black people out there that do not see the whole picture, so to them, it makes no difference if they pickup shampoo from a Black business online or a Korean BSS down the street there may not be a direct benefit to them. Other minority communities value business ownership because they have realized how crucial it is for their community to stay unified, but this doesn't seem to be the case for Black people. I realize institutionalized racism had set up road blocks to help prevent Blacks from achieving ownerships, but there has got to be a point where we support each other and pull our resources together to help ourselves. There are Black communities that have already started doing this and it makes me happy. But for the most part, we still have a lot of work to do. I hope this boycott is taking us in the right direction.

I was going to post this early but I chickened out :perplexed IMO, one of the top items available at KBSSs that are more difficult to get elsewhere are extensions and wigs. So, until that demand is eliminated or until quality hair is made more available through different outlets, some Black women will continue to shop at KBSS for these products. I don't wear extensions or wigs myself so I can't really answer your questions :ohwell: But I think self-respect should always trump consumerism.

curlyninjagirl

Arabs only come from one country-Saudi Arabia.

I don't agree with a boycott, but I don't see it working either. The research is not being done to find the paper trail. Buying from black businesses who use Korean Distributors doesn't make sense at all. My opinions aside, the enemy hasn't even been clearly identified. Koreans put each other out of business all the time. Go to Rosalee in East Orange and so much as mention that you shop at Macy and they will probably throw you out. Putting Korean BSS out of business hurts your own community. These people pay for your police officers and school. You're hurting black manufacturers like Dudley's. The Koreans buy from them by the truck load. The whole thing is misguided.

Sent from my HTC Inspire™

Even though most of your posts come off as condescending and rude :yep:, I happen to agree with this one. I've been pondering this since I first laid eyes on this thread. So I've made a personal decision to avoid weaves/wigs and kbss. Unwittingly, I already had been for the past 2 years (just cuz I don't like that chemical smell on the hair), but now it's a conscious decision. It's not much, but I feel better knowing they won't get any of my money.

greenandchic

I need a list of BBS vendors we can purchase from. Can someone make a new thread of this? It would be nice for it to become a sticky as well.

I really despise giving my money to the other suppliers including Sally's.

I have mixed feelings about this. I know Sally's is part of the "empire", but at my local Sally, the employees are very respectful and helpful. Some of them know me by name and frequently purchased products. They don't follow me around and sometimes give me special discounts w/o me asking. I know its a long-shot, but I would hate to see them lose their employment because we banned the company as a whole...

Tamster

just as a reminder, there is a boycott planning thread. in the first post, there are a whole host of resources.

one of the things we are putting together is a google docs list of Black owned beauty supply stores and black owned product companies (amwcah)

JeterCrazed

Even though most of your posts come off as condescending and rude :yep:, I happen to agree with this one. I've been pondering this since I first laid eyes on this thread. So I've made a personal decision to avoid weaves/wigs and kbss. Unwittingly, I already had been for the past 2 years (just cuz I don't like that chemical smell on the hair), but now it's a conscious decision. It's not much, but I feel better knowing they won't get any of my money.

First Bolded: ...and that's fine...

Second Bolded: Avoiding those products does not keep your money out of the Korean pocket.

Third Bolded: Yes, I am on the creamy crack...I said it...Now who gon' pop me?! :lachen: