L-Cysteine and L-Cystine: Hair Growth, Curls, AIDS prevention, etc. (Informational)

cocoberry10

Hello ladies:

I have come to know that L-cysteine and L-cystine (related amino acids) have a lot to do with the strength, length, health and coil of our hair. We all know about MSM/Sulfur, and this is a part of it. Apparently, it even helps with T-Cell protection. Also, Glutathione (mentioned below) is a good source for the immune system (apparently, those with HIV/AIDS have low levels of these amino acids--learned from articles). This sounds like good stuff! Also, I think you are supposed to take double the amount of Vitamin C as you do L-Cysteine and L-Glutathione, so that it absorbs properly (I read this somewhere else).

For those that take L-Cysteine and/or L-Cystine, how much do you take? Also, do you take L-Glutathione, and if so, how much?

Below I include various info on these items. Apparently, the amount of L-Cysteine, or disulfide bonds determines how much coil/curl one has and L-Cysteine strengthens hair.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem99/chem99328.htm
Question: What makes curly hair curly?
john h hersey

Answer:
Hair is made of protein (just like pretty much everything else in
your body). Now in these proteins are sulfur atoms (called sulfides). When two sulfur atoms come together, they form what's called a disulfide bond. If two sulfur atoms are far apart in the same protein, and they come together to form that bond, the protein is going to bend accordingly. The more disulfide bonds, the curlier the hair. Naturally curly hair has a lot of disulfide bonds. When people with straight hair get a 'perm' they are chemically forcing the making of disulfide bonds. These bonds are pretty strong too...very difficult to break. 'Perm' is short for 'permanent wave' though a 'perm' isn't really permanent. As the new hair grows in, it will be straight and only the ends curly. And it's very difficult to straighten out naturally curly hair.

http://www.betterbodz.com/library/l_cysteine.html

Cysteine is a sulfur containing amino that detoxifies many harmful chemicals including those from cigarette smoke, pollution and alcohol as well as copper and heavy toxic metals. Cysteine can prevent hangovers and promotes healing and the immune system. Since Cysteine is a central amino in the protein keratin, it has been found to increase hair growth by as much as 100%, to increase the diameter of hair shafts and to harden the nails. Cysteine is a powerful antioxidant that has been shown to help protect the cells against X-Ray and nuclear radiation. One note of caution; Cysteine can affect insulin effectiveness so diabetics need to exercise caution when using this amino.
There is no question that Cysteine helps improve the look of the hair and the hardness of nails. Most people take between 500 mgs. and 1,000 grams of Cysteine daily. This is an amino that works very well in supplement form.

http://www.thewayup.com/products/0060.htm

L-CYSTEINE
L-Cysteine can be obtained from dietary protein or synthesized from the amino acid L-methionine. It is directly depleted by cigarette smoking, the depletion of which may be partially related to the faster aging of skin in smokers.
L-Cysteine is a sulfur containing amino acid which, together with glycine & glutamic acid, forms the all-important antioxidant glutathione. L-Cysteine contributes to the formation of protein in our bodies. It plays a role in energy metabolism, both by being able to convert to glucose & be used as fuel, & by playing a part in the synthesis of fatty acids. It acts in the liver to help detoxify carcinogens & other dangerous chemicals. Cysteine is essential for T-cell proliferation & activation in your immune system. Cysteine is a major component of skin, hair, & fingernails. Studies show that cysteine supplementation can increase hair shaft diameter and hair growth density in some cases of hair loss.
Cysteine may be used to:
Help with skin health.
Stop hair loss & aid hair growth.
Aid wound healing from injuries, burns, or surgery.
Help protect us from the adverse effects of alcohol consumption, cigarette smoking, & other chemicals.
Support the liver when there are liver disorders.
Enhance absorption of iron.
Ameliorate chemical sensitivity reactions.
Promote the production of red & white blood cells.
Support cartilage (as a precursor to chondroitin sulfate.)

cocoberry10

Re: L-Cysteine and L-Cystine: Hair Growth, Curls, AIDS prevention, etc. (Informationa

Continued

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/southfacts_cysteine.htm

What is it and where does it come from?
L-cysteine is a conditionally sensitive, sulfur bearing, amino acid present in protein.
L-cysteine is a conditionally essential because it can be made endogenously in sufficient quantities under normal circumstances, but it may have to be exogenously supplemented if physical demands on the body (from physical exercise, stress or sickness) become too great.
What does it do and what scientific studies give evidence to support this?
L-cysteine performs a number of functions in the body.
It is used to manufacture L-taurine and L-glutathione. Taurine is important because it plays a key role in central nervous system function. Taurine also helps to regulate blood pressure, helps maintain good vision and eye function, and aides in thermogenesis (fat burning) and muscle building.
Glutathione is critical for immune system function because it is a powerful antioxidant that ensures healthy cellular function and nerve signal efficiency. Ageing and physical decline are linked to glutathione deficiency. While direct glutathione supplementation has proven ineffective at increasing cellular glutathione levels, L-cysteine levels has proven effective for this purpose.
L-cysteine supplementation elevates NAC - N-acetyl cysteine (C3H7NO2S). NAC is known to increase blood glutathione levels and preserve lean muscle mass. Therefore, the antioxidative and glutathione elevating effects of L-cysteine are attributed to its ability to raise NAC levels.
L-cysteine is essential for T-cell production and immune system activation. L-cysteine is also a component of human hair (research has shown it can increase hair health and hair diameter) and is a component of the hormone insulin. L-cysteine can also be converted into glucose (for energy production) when blood glucose levels are low and this conversion may enhance athletic endurance and prevent muscle catabolism.
The gastrointestinal system may also benefit from L-cysteine. Aspirin and other drugs may stress the digestive system and stomach, and L-cysteine may protect against these side-effects by strengthening stomach lining.1
L-cysteine supplementation may be most effective when used in conjunction with vitamin E, vitamin C, vitamin B6 and calcium and selenium.
Who needs it and what are some symptoms of deficiency?
Everyone may benefit from L-cysteine supplementation.
Physical training is known to increase oxidative stress, and this may lead to immune suppression. L-cysteine can help speed recovery, and support health. Its role as a taurine precursor can also assist in lean muscle tissue gain and thermogenesis.
Persons with compromised immune function (the young, the elderly and people exposed to pollutants) can benefit from L-cysteine supplementation due to its immuno-protective and antioxidative effects. L-cysteine can enhance immune system function and maintain optimal health.
Those with HIV - Human Immunodeficiency Virus - or AIDS - Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome - frequently suffer from L-cysteine deficiency and may thus benefit from supplementation.2
How much should be taken? Are there any side effects?
Strictly adhere to label recommendations.
Optimal doses of L-cysteine supplementation may produce beneficial effect, but high dosages of L-cysteine are linked to oxidative stress and possible DNA damage.3
Be sure to drink enough water when supplementing with L-cysteine. Consult with a physician prior to use. Persons with cystinuria should avoid

What is it and where does it come from?
L-cysteine is a conditionally sensitive, sulfur bearing, amino acid present in protein.
L-cysteine is a conditionally essential because it can be made endogenously in sufficient quantities under normal circumstances, but it may have to be exogenously supplemented if physical demands on the body (from physical exercise, stress or sickness) become too great.
L-cysteine performs a number of functions in the body.
It is used to manufacture L-taurine and L-glutathione. Taurine is important because it plays a key role in central nervous system function. Taurine also helps to regulate blood pressure, helps maintain good vision and eye function, and aides in thermogenesis (fat burning) and muscle building.
Glutathione is critical for immune system function because it is a powerful antioxidant that ensures healthy cellular function and nerve signal efficiency. Ageing and physical decline are linked to glutathione deficiency. While direct glutathione supplementation has proven ineffective at increasing cellular glutathione levels, L-cysteine levels has proven effective for this purpose.
L-cysteine supplementation elevates NAC - N-acetyl cysteine (C3H7NO2S). NAC is known to increase blood glutathione levels and preserve lean muscle mass. Therefore, the antioxidative and glutathione elevating effects of L-cysteine are attributed to its ability to raise NAC levels.
L-cysteine is essential for T-cell production and immune system activation. L-cysteine is also a component of human hair (research has shown it can increase hair health and hair diameter) and is a component of the hormone insulin. L-cysteine can also be converted into glucose (for energy production) when blood glucose levels are low and this conversion may enhance athletic endurance and prevent muscle catabolism.
The gastrointestinal system may also benefit from L-cysteine. Aspirin and other drugs may stress the digestive system and stomach, and L-cysteine may protect against these side-effects by strengthening stomach lining.1
L-cysteine supplementation may be most effective when used in conjunction with vitamin E, vitamin C, vitamin B6 and calcium and selenium.
Who needs it and what are some symptoms of deficiency?
Everyone may benefit from L-cysteine supplementation.
Physical training is known to increase oxidative stress, and this may lead to immune suppression. L-cysteine can help speed recovery, and support health. Its role as a taurine precursor can also assist in lean muscle tissue gain and thermogenesis.
Persons with compromised immune function (the young, the elderly and people exposed to pollutants) can benefit from L-cysteine supplementation due to its immuno-protective and antioxidative effects. L-cysteine can enhance immune system function and maintain optimal health.
Those with HIV - Human Immunodeficiency Virus - or AIDS - Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome - frequently suffer from L-cysteine deficiency and may thus benefit from supplementation.2
Strictly adhere to label recommendations.
Optimal doses of L-cysteine supplementation may produce beneficial effect, but high dosages of L-cysteine are linked to oxidative stress and possible DNA damage.3
Be sure to drink enough water when supplementing with L-cysteine. Consult with a physician prior to use. Persons with cystinuria should avoid using l-cysteine as they can form cysteine gallstones from its usegallstones from its use.

cocoberry10

Re: L-Cysteine and L-Cystine: Hair Growth, Curls, AIDS prevention, etc. (Informationa

Glutathione

Glutathione (C10H17N3O6S) is a tri-peptide - a protein - comprised from one amino acid of glutamic acid, cysteine and glycine. Glutathione is found and manufactured in every cell in the body but is found in highest concentrations in the heart, muscle tissue and the liver. Glutathione is critical for healthy immune system function.
Dietary sources of glutathione and glutathione precursors include meats, fish. fruits, vegetables, avocado, walnuts and asparagus. Glutathione precursors are also found in whey protein concentrate.
Glutathione is critical for the healthy maintenance of the immune system.
Glutathione is a powerful antioxidant that helps maintain cellular health and helps prevent oxidative stress. Glutathione has been heavily researched, and the findings on this substance have been nothing short of amazing. Aside from being a powerful antioxidant booster1 and system detoxifier, glutathione helps produce, protect and repair deoxyribonucleic acid - DNA. In this protective role, glutathione boosts the immune system, thereby helping to power immune response.

Glutathione levels help protect the body from oxidative stress. Thus, glutathione levels are correlated with aging and physical function. One way to drastically increase glutathione levels, aside from consuming glutathione precursors, is through the ingestion of ascorbic acid - vitamin C3 - and l-glutamine and ALA (Alpha Lipolic Acid).
Glutathione is essential for immune system function and muscle growth, and any athlete who is glutathione deficient will suffer from decreased performance6 and a lack of muscle growth.

Studies have shown that adults who took glutathione had better health than those who did not.8 So, glutathione supplementation is especially important for this population.
Hard training is known to deplete glutathione levels. Thus, the hard-training athlete can benefit especially from glutathione supplementation and the enhanced recovery and muscle building results seen from its use. Deficiencies of glutathione do not produce diseases, but low glutathione levels can accelerate the appearance of aging, can lead to functional decline and weaken the immune system.

Strictly adhere to label directions. No side effects of glutathione use are known.
Research has conflicted as to whether glutathione is effectively absorbed in human subjects.9,10,11 Glutathione pre-cursor supplementation should be avoided by persons with milk protein allergies, as well as those who have received organ transplants

*Happily Me*

Interesting.

I was taking L-Cysteine for Lupus for a short while. I'm about to re-up :grin:

Valerie

Thank you so much for that information. Wow! I am learning so much.

cocoberry10

Interesting.

I was taking L-Cysteine for Lupus for a short while. I'm about to re-up :grin:

:lol:

Yeah, this stuff looks like it's really good for so many things (your hair is gorgeous anyway), but since I'm transitioning, I'd love to have some major growth, or see the overall strength of my hair improve.

Oh, and there's a sale at Puritan's Pride
http://www.puritan.com/pages/iq.asp?xs=AA4ED6C5E3964F539DDF455A0AB06416&SearchText=Cysteine

Also, iherb.com has some good deals
http://www.iherb.com/Search.aspx?c=1&kw=Cysteine

*Happily Me*

:lol:

Yeah, this stuff looks like it's really good for so many things (your hair is gorgeous anyway), but since I'm transitioning, I'd love to have some major growth, or see the overall strength of my hair improve.

Oh, and there's a sale at Puritan's Pride
http://www.puritan.com/pages/iq.asp?xs=AA4ED6C5E3964F539DDF455A0AB06416&SearchText=Cysteine

Also, iherb.com has some good deals
http://www.iherb.com/Search.aspx?c=1&kw=Cysteine

thanks! and thanks for sharing :)

I was just saying that all of the vitamins I began taking for my hair, has actually helped my dis-ease too :yep:

cocoberry10

thanks! and thanks for sharing :)

I was just saying that all of the vitamins I began taking for my hair, has actually helped my dis-ease too :yep:

No problem!

gymfreak336

Very good info Cocoberry. I printed this out to add to my personal files.

PuffyBrown

Great info....thanks!

Subscribing to this thread....

cocoberry10

No problem. I'm ordering mine now. Can't wait till it arrives!

ttlayli

Is this the same of NAC...cuz I'm taking NAC currently... :rolleyes:

PanamasOwn

great info...passing this down to MIL

MzOptimistic

Great thread. Thanks for posting!

cocoberry10

Still taking. I will update you ladies in a month!

Barbara

Princess

Good for removing heavy metals from the liver. :superbanana:

EMJazzy

Happily retired

Great information! :up:

*Happily Me*

bumpity bump (plus i forgot to buy some)

Aggie

Bumping.......

I have this in one of my vitamin wish lists right now:grin:.

soonergirl

Aggie Cool...I've been on NAC for a week now..read somewhere this is better for us to take as the l cysteine you have to take a break from.

Aggie

soonergirl, thanks, I will just alternate them then.

Ann0804

Thanks, this is good information. I just purchased some Camille Rose Almond Jai Twist Butter and noticed this ingredient in there, but I had no idea of what it was until now. I can't wait to use it now.

ilong

God's Own

soonergirl, thanks, I will just alternate them then.
@Aggie - I thought about you when I was reading this thread, as I know you work out frequently. I was going to bump it and tag you, but as I continued through the thread I saw your post.