L.O.C Method

Fine 4s

http://www.naturalhairrules.com/loc-method/?fb_source=pubv1

LOC Method: Why It Works

May 16, 2013 By NHR Leave a Comment
The L.O.C. method is scientifically one of the best ways to moisturize natural hair when done with the right products and in the right order. Let’s explore 3 Reasons the LOC method works to moisturize hair and how it works.
What is the Liquid Oil Cream Method or LOC Method

The Liquid Oil Cream Method or L.O.C method is a technique for moisturizing hair. It consist of hydrating the hair with water which is your liquid, sealing in the moisture with oil and then applying a cream product to close the hair shaft which prevents moisture from leaving. Many women with natural hair have found great success with this method. This is completely understandable. It really makes sense.
I was using this method long before I realized there was a name for it. When it comes to getting my hair care information from the internet I always question the science behind it. There is a lot of misinformation circulating, if you know what I mean. I looked to Audrey Davis-Sivaothy’s book, The Science of Black Hair for clarification on the LOC Method. If you do not have this book, order it now.
Three Reasons the LOC method Works to Moisturize Hair
1. Water = Moisture
When it comes to moisturizing, water is moisture. Its a no brainer that adding water as the liquid to your hair is going to moisturize and hydrate. The issue is retaining that moisture from water. And that’s where the other 2 components of the L.O.C. method comes into play.
2. Oil Helps the Hair Hold on to Water Molecules
This is where the method loses some people. And for good reason. It’s true that oil and water don’t mix. And if you aren’t using oils that penetrate the hair its best to use your cream before your oil or LCO Method. But certain natural oils have the ability to penetrate the hair shaft and bind with the hair internal structure or protein. This increases its ability hold on to water molecules. These oils include coconut, olive, and avocado oils. Not to mention polar and saturated oils like coconut oil help to reduce protein loss during each shampoo. This keeps the hair strong and prevents breakage.
3. Cream Locks In Moisture
There’s a little controversy as to what’s an appropriate cream. Some women consider their conditioners, creams or their styling products. And this is ok. Many of these products do have ingredients that will act as moisture sealants. I personally use my leave in conditioner as my cream.
But let’s not get caught up on the word cream. Because the best creams when it comes to this method may or may not be creams at all. The purpose of the cream component is to seal or lock in moisture introduced from L & O. Natural products that seal and coat the hair are ideal. They are more likely to retain moisture but still allow the hair to take in additional moisture in the case of rehydration between shampoos or co-washs. The best coating oils are Castor, Grapeseed, and Jojoba. They act as sealants. They can also act as emollients that lubricate and fill in gaps along the hair cuticle to prevent moisture loss.
If you have extremely dry hair and/or live in harsh winter climates consider using natural butters like Shea or Mango as your cream for this step. I get the best styling results when I seal my ends with whipped Shea Butter and Aloe Vera Gel. But I usually only reserve Whipped Shea Butter for the winter months.

Can someone explain to me how I should do this? I'm trying to increase my moisture while my steamer is on its way. Yes!
According this this I should:

1. Use water as my base
2. Lock in moisture with an oil that can bind to the hair like coconut, avocado or olive oil. Got it.
3. And this is where I get lost...I can either use a butter OR another oil? such as jojoba, grapeseed or castor oil that will do....what? I thought I just sealed with the other oils.

A while ago I asked folks if they were sealing with butters instead of oils, to which they responded yes. Got it. But now should I put 2 different oils on my hair because one penetrates and one coats?

Please clarify.

Thanks!

virtuenow

I prefer L-C-O. Liquid, sealed by a cream or hair lotion, sealed by the final step of a true sealant = oil. You plan to seal your liquid in w/oil then butter? Sounds counter-intuitive. To clarify, I don't think you should seal in an oil w/another oil (or butter); but you should entertain the idea of L-C-O so that you have two layers of moisture and then seal all that moisture in w/an oil (or butter) :lick:

Last edited:

Amarilles

I personality think C.O can be redundant. Isn't the order to:

1. cleanse
2. condition
3. moisturize (this is L or C)
4. seal (C or O)

If C is waterbased it would fall under step 3 and if it contains no water it would be step 4. O will always be step 4 since oil will never contain water/liquid.

I don't really focus on L.O.C or L.C.O per se but I moisturize with a waterbased product followed by a cream with no water at all. If I had to choose though L.C.O (with a waterbased C) makes better sense to me too.

loulou82

It took me a few attempts to figure out the LOC method. I now use a modified version:

1. Liquid or Water-Based Cream
2. Oil
3. Butter (just on ends)

or

1. Liquid (just enough to soften the hair)
2. Cream (water-based)
3. Oil

I don't find it useful to put a water-based cream on top of an oil regardless if it's a penetrating oil or coating oil. I use a butter to smooth my ends and make by fine strands clump.

Last edited:

Fine 4s

It took me a few attempts to figure out the LOC method. I now use a modified version:

1. Liquid or Water-Based Cream
2. Oil
3. Butter (just on ends)

or

1. Liquid (just enough to soften the hair)
2. Cream (water-based)
3. Oil

I don't find it useful to put a water-based cream on top of an oil regardless if it's a penetrating oil or coating oil. I use a butter to smooth my ends and make by fine strands clump.

LuLu82

Yes, I isn't understand putting a butter on top of an oil. I'm not sure I understand this method clearly because it sounded like she was saying to use an oil after Washing, then a butter than another oil? Or maybe I'm reading this wrong.
I like both of your methods so I'll just keep at it.
I like the sound of option number one. And the liquid can be simply water right?

loulou82

I understand the confusion from the article. In step #2 the author mentions shampooing and in step #3 the author supports a loose definition of "cream" to include coating oils. To her L-O-C is:

Liquid- water based product
Oil- preferably a penetrating oil
Cream- loose definition that includes leave in conditioners, stylers, coating oils, butters

She supports the use of a penetrating oil as the "Oil" Step and a coating oil as the "Cream" Step.

I say experiment and use LOC and LCO on two sections of your hair and see how each responds. :yep:

@LuLu82

I like the sound of option number one. And the liquid can be simply water right?

The liquid could be just water but I need something more substantial. I was making my own mix consisting of distilled H2O, a few squirts of SM Curl and Shine Mix, and a few drops of my favorite oil shaken up in a spray bottle. I recently purchased Komaza Califia Moisturizing Spray which I really like. Sometimes I just use rose water.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I agree with loulou82, this is article is confusing, because most people who are familiar with this method, understand that water means water or a water based moisturizer.

I use the LCO method 2-3 times a week and my hair is never dry. If I weren't layering products and sealing in the moisture, my hair would be dry, or it would need to be moisturized and sealed (M&S) everyday. I'm lazy sometimes, so I make my regimen as easy as possible. :look: It's easier for me to preserve my style for a few days by not needing to M&S everyday.

You have to figure, which M&S method is best for you. Some people only put on moisturizer and don't seal at all.

These are my LCO layers:
(L) Oyin Hair Dew = water based moisturizer
(C) Oyin Whipped Pudding
(O) Grape Seed Oil
or
(L) Silk Dreams Wheat Germ
(C) SD Creme de la Silk
(O) SD Nourish Oil

Depending on what I'm doing to my hair the liquid/water based moisturizer could be S Curl, Infusium 23 etc. Most people don't use just plain water

EnExitStageLeft actually uses a completely different version of the LOC method, because she has tailored it to her needs. I believe she uses a pomade over her oil, but I may be incorrect.

Last edited:

EnExitStageLeft

MileHighDiva

You're correct :).

For me I prefer (L)iquid (C)ream (O)oil with the additional step of heavy sealing with a butter or pomade. I only focus the butter and pomade on the ends. I prefer this method because the end result is smooth moisturized hair, rather then fluffy soft hair (I hope that makes since :lol:). I also prefer this method because I have baby fine strands that tend to be very porous towards the ends, so if I don't seal them properly (heavy seal) they begin to tangle quite easily.

My LCOB/P Combination:

Liquid- Komazacare Califia or Aloe My Hair Moisturizing Spritz's (I use these interchangeably
Cream- My Moisturizer at the time, currently using QB Burdock Root Butter Cream
Oil- Grapeseed Oil
Butter and/or Pomade- Purabody Naturals Cupuacu Butter (I use butters and pomades interchangeably as well :))

HTH's

BonBon

My LCOB/P Combination:[/U]
Liquid- Komazacare Califia or Aloe My Hair Moisturizing Spritz's (I use these interchangeably
Cream- My Moisturizer at the time, currently using QB Burdock Root Butter Cream
Oil- Grapeseed Oil
Butter and/or Pomade- Purabody Naturals Cupuacu Butter (I use butters and pomades interchangeably as well :))

HTH's

OOOh you use the exact combo I wanted to buy. Already have the BR cream. Just need the aloe my hair and grapseed:grin:

My LOC Method is the following:

L = QB's BRBC

O = Coconut oil

C = QB's AOHC

I do this every 2-3 days and my hair stays moisturized until the next application. I cannot explain why but I guess the layering protects the ones that go before each other.

Forever in Bloom

My method :)

Liquid: 1 part water, 1 part vegetable glycerin, 1/2 part rose water, and 10 drops of lavender essential oil

Cream: Just Natural "Natural Detangler"

Helichrysum Floral Water, Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Colza Oil, Silk Protein, Borage Oil, Herbal Extracts of Calendula, Horsetail, Sage, Honeysuckle, Mallow, Chamomile, Vegetable Emulsifier, Grapeseed Oil, Jojoba Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil, Candelina Oil, Essential Oils of Sweet Orange, Neroli, Lavender, Ylang Ylang, Grapefruit, Vitamin E, Rice Protein, Panthenol - Vitamin Pro B-5.

Oil: (Naptural 85 mix - olive oil, jojoba oil, castor oil, evening primrose oil, grapeseed oil)

Took me 3 years to find a combo so perfect for my hair. It's juicy and super moist. I can't stop touching it!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

overtherainbow

Whenever I used the LOC method on my relaxed or transitioning hair, it would feel as dry as the sahara. I kinda wonder how my natural hair would react, but I'm not in the mood to do an emergency DC if it doesn't work out:nono:

I do love to do a modified LCO.
L- Water or aloe vera water mix
C- Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, layered with a gel for more slip and hold.
O- Pure argan oil.

At one point, I used to seal with grease after seeing a thread about it, and my ends thrived. I stopped out of fear of build up, but honestly grease gave my hair the same softness as the argan oil.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I have done the LOC method a number of ways (LOC, LCO, LOCO, LOCB) with various products with great success.

LOCO: I use a penetrating oil (step 2) and a coating oil (step 4).
LOCB: I use a penetrating oil (step 2) and a butter (step 4).

It's about trial and error. I think the best way to start out is by following the traditional moisturizing (water based product) and sealing (non water based product) method and finding what products your hair likes. Once you know that, then you can get fancy by changing up the order. Starting with products you love takes some of the guesswork out of it. If your hair doesn't feel great in the end, it's a higher likelihood it's the method vs. products.

Diva_Esq

I resisted LOC for SOOOO long because I couldn't wrap my head around following water with an oil. Thought it should be LCO instead of LOC. Tried LCO...hair was dry, tangled and full of SSKs. I was losing gobs of hair in the shower and due to shedding. My hair was super frizzy! Then, I watched a youtube video and tried some different products and found that my hair prefers LOC. Some women do LOCO for an additional oil sealant, but that would've made my hair too oily and weighed down. LOC is perfect for me. My 2 product combos are:

L- water
O- grapeseed oil
C- Kinky Curly Knot Today leave-in followed by SheaMoisture Smoothie

Or

L- water
O- almond oil
C- KKKT leave-in and As I Am Double Butter Cream

If I two strand it, sometimes I use a small amount of jojoba oil to separate twists and I use an alcohol free gel to scrunch. An alternative leave-in is Paul Mitchell The Conditioner for me.

Last edited:

Fine 4s

I have done the LOC method a number of ways (LOC, LCO, LOCO, LOCB) with various products with great success.

LOCO: I use a penetrating oil (step 2) and a coating oil (step 4).
LOCB: I use a penetrating oil (step 2) and a butter (step 4).

It's about trial and error. I think the best way to start out is by following the traditional moisturizing (water based product) and sealing (non water based product) method and finding what products your hair likes. Once you know that, then you can get fancy by changing up the order. Starting with products you love takes some of the guesswork out of it. If your hair doesn't feel great in the end, it's a higher likelihood it's the method vs. products.

See this is my confusion. I thought all oils (except for essential) do the same thing, loc in whatever moisture is in. Why are you using two seperate oils? Penetrating and then coating?

Wash day began on Wednesday. I applied coconut oil and fell asleep with it on. Oily pillow. Yesterday I washed, diluted poo and ACV, DC with Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose and rinse out.

I put grapeseed oil on each section before twisting and then applied the Shea Moisture product from Target. Pinned the twists and went to bed.
Woke up, touched the surface (since all the hair is tucked in) and it feels dry! Now granted I'm fighting extreme dry hair but dang overnight?!
Also oily, major oily pillow. The oil just slipped right on out.....

Usually I would just apply the Shea moisture and seal with oil. That's simply what I thought all moisturizing processes entailed not all this fancy LOC method. I'm so lost....

Any comments?

@Diva_Esq

That's what I did, water and grapeseed and cream. But the cream is a water based product I believe so maybe that why it didn't work for me?

Last edited:

bellebebe

I've been doing this method by accident. As soon as I rinse my hair & towel dry it, I follow it up with evco & then I do my twists using a cream based substance. It's really a no brainer, but if it doesn't work for you, then do what does.

Sent from my sexy phone.

Just11412

for my C i use a butter mixed with a leave-in to make a cream.

this is my LOC method.
L- rosewater mixed with bit of tea tree, peppermint, lavender, eucalyptus and a little bit of knot today (i work out damn near everyday so the essential oils break up the salt from the sweat).

O: ceramide mix of grapeseed, sunflower and walnut oils.

C: shea butter mixed with knot today

this is what works for me. I have played around with LOC for a bit and the OP the C part would get me. but then one day i experimented and found something that worked.

Ogoma

I do LOCC(B-on ends) with great success. I live in Canada and even in the winter this combination keeps my hair soft for days. I do not have to re-moisturize for 3 or so days and I get to leave my hair in a bun or braid out or some pulled back style without rubbing through it. I am sure I can go longer, but I co-wash after 2-3 days. I have not deep conditioned in months and my hair feels the best it ever has. I expected it to be dryer as it got longer, but it is not.

I think it works for me because the oil I have slathered down my strands act as a stand-in for my scalp oil that doesn't get down my strands due to the texture of my hair. That makes the most sense to me.

L - always water after a wash or co-wash
O - a combination of grapeseed oil (7/8) and castor oil (1/8) (about a quarter coin size per section)
C - Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as a leave-in. I have the big jar so about 8 pumps or 4 quarter coin sizes
C - Oyin Hair Dew or PBN Murumuru Moisture Milk/Sapote Lotion (a little more generous with this)
B - Nubian Heritage Repair & Extend Butter (exclusively on my ends)

Last edited:

xu93texas

I usually do the LOC method in the morning before putting on my wig.

L-Califia Moisturizing Spray (Komaza Care)
O-Burt Bee's baby nourishing oil or jojoba oil
C-Aloe My Hair leave in or Matani leave in (Komaza Care)

At night, I just use a moisturizer (cream or leave in ) and seal with an oil. I also apply some type of pomade to scalp/edges or use my sulfur oil mixture.

MizzBFly

Thsi blog is written by a UK based chemist that has answered many questions that come up in these forums, I will link her site as to not repeat her findings in error but as a side note- each method listed and its effectiveness for each individual is based on the needs of that individuals head & molecular size of the last product used to create a barrier

http://http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/06/reader-questions-week-moisture-and.html

http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2010/02/part-2-necessity-of-oils.html

this last link is the "Academy" reference to many (daunting) questions:

http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/p/academy.html

Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I skip the cream. My hair hates creamy LIs. It's also fine and VERY porous so loses moisture within hours. With experimentation, I've found LHO is the best. Liquid. Heavy Sealant. Oil.

The heavy sealant varies on time of year. Winter it's grease, other times it can be a butter or pomade. Just depends on the dryness of the climate.

mshoneyfly

See this is my confusion. I thought all oils (except for essential) do the same thing, loc in whatever moisture is in. Why are you using two seperate oils? Penetrating and then coating?

Wash day began on Wednesday. I applied coconut oil and fell asleep with it on. Oily pillow. Yesterday I washed, diluted poo and ACV, DC with Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose and rinse out.

I put grapeseed oil on each section before twisting and then applied the Shea Moisture product from Target. Pinned the twists and went to bed.
Woke up, touched the surface (since all the hair is tucked in) and it feels dry! Now granted I'm fighting extreme dry hair but dang overnight?!
Also oily, major oily pillow. The oil just slipped right on out.....

Usually I would just apply the Shea moisture and seal with oil. That's simply what I thought all moisturizing processes entailed not all this fancy LOC method. I'm so lost....

Any comments?

@Diva_Esq

That's what I did, water and grapeseed and cream. But the cream is a water based product I believe so maybe that why it didn't work for me?

@fine4s
When you fell asleep with the evco I assume you were prepooing. I do this wearing a baggie; sometimes adding a few minutes of heat under dryer. When I come out of the dryer, I put on a skull cap to hold the moisture and let the oil/dc penetrate the strands.

When you pinned up the twists did you put on a satin scarf or bonnet? That keeps the moisture in.

southerncitygirl

i prefer lco as well i use:

liquid: shea moisture coconut hibiscus mist, komaza aloe my hair, komaza coconut curl mist or komaza califa hair mist.

upon the suggestion of members of this board IDareT'sHair EnExitStageLeft i dilute the califa mist with filtered water so the 8oz lasts a long time due to it being so concentrated, the other products don't need to be diluted.

cream: i use claudie's revitalizer's balancing ends insurance, murumuru-acai butter, quinoa coffee balancing or isha

oil: whatever i have around the house coconut, olive, kukui, sapote, castor, hemp, meadowfoam, etc. and mix them in a bottle.

i usually do this 3-4 times a week and sometimes if i'm lazy i just do liquid & oil. its better than regular moisturizing and sealing for me and i don't have to seal my my ends cause for the first time my hair is soft and smooth from root to tip.

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Fine 4s, I'm purely going on what I've researched, read and experimented so this may not be accurate but here goes -- oils lock in moisture to varying degrees. Penetrating penetrates the strand and may evaporate from the strand quicker than an oil that coats and sits on top of the strand. I say experiment and do what works for you. I've had great luck with the various methods mentioned upthread.

Fine 4s

I re-twisted tonight. I like this spritz but I was doing this a long time ago!
In any case here was my water like spritz (L): aloe Vera juice, infusium 23, EVOO, essential oils (various) and vit E. I like this spritz!
Then my cream was Shea moisture (C). This is a water based product. One you should NOT use if you've straightened.
Then I sealed with JBCO. (O)

We'll see how long this moisture lasts.