Lace Front Wig wearers, I have 3 questions for you!

topsyturvy86

Hey, I'm thinking of getting a LF wig and have a few questions ...

1) Does the tape thing hold the hair as well/securely as glue?

2) What happens to the back of the wig? In the application videos it looks like they only secure the front but do nothing with the back. Can you wear your hair in a pony tail and sit still look natural?

3) How do you sleep with it?

Nixx22jam

I recently bought a lace wig and its on its way. I plan on sewing in wig clips instead of gluing as i'm scared it might eat into my hairline. This way I can remove it every night and take care of it and also my hair underneath. I also bought a satin cap to wear under it so that the back of my hair doesnt break from friction. I Know that doesnt really answer any of your questions but im doin it this way to avoid as much breakage as possible. HTH

topsyturvy86

I recently bought a lace wig and its on its way. I plan on sewing in wig clips instead of gluing as i'm scared it might eat into my hairline. This way I can remove it every night and take care of it and also my hair underneath. I also bought a satin cap to wear under it so that the back of my hair doesnt break from friction. I Know that doesnt really answer any of your questions but im doin it this way to avoid as much breakage as possible. HTH

Thanks Nixx! You actually answered the fourth question I had and forgot which was "does the wig cap cause breakage to the front and back hairline?"

I'll probably buy a satin cap as well to protect my hair. Great idea!

Xaragua

Where can i get the satin cap?

mzsophisticated26

1) Does the tape thing hold the hair as well/securely as glue? it really depends on your body chemistry and type of tape. Alot of tapes have different holds such as daily, 3-4days hold etc. I find that when using tape I still like to apply glue(Davlyn) to the edges just to get a seamless bond because with tape you can sometimes see the edge of lace if not placed correctly. The only tape I used that is not that shiney is Satin lace tape and I only use tape for the temple area and glue on the forehead.
2) What happens to the back of the wig? In the application videos it looks like they only secure the front but do nothing with the back. Can you wear your hair in a pony tail and sit still look natural? if you purchase a lacefront only then it usually has adjustable straps in the back for security. If you are using a full lace wig and only applying the front then u will need to sew on wigs clips or use bobby pins to secure the back. With lacefronts you can wear a low ponytail not a high ponytail

3) How do you sleep with it? I usually just tie the perimeter with a satin scarf and then put it in a ponytail with a satin bonnet

LadyPBC

I only tried one type of tape and the answer for me was no. I always added glue. I noticed with the glue though (I wore the full lace wig in the summer) is that the glue always seemed to look shiny like it was not dry. I rocked it anyway. The first time I had it professionally installed then I started doing it myself becuz I washed every week. Very time consuming by the way to clean my wig, let it air dry and complete my regimen.

2) What happens to the back of the wig? In the application videos it looks like they only secure the front but do nothing with the back. Can you wear your hair in a pony tail and sit still look natural? If its a full lace wig you can glue it down as well (I did) but was never brave enough to wear an updo. Or you can use wig clips. If it is a front lace only it will probably have a band or comb in the back to secure it. Many people do wear ponytails and updo hairstyles I always felt self conscious though with the full lace bcuz it wz kinda messy back there or a small section would not stay down.

Just wrapped the hair in a satin scarf or braided it in two braids and wore a bonnet.

Yes, if the wig cap is too tight it will cause trouble. I had matching bald spots about the size of a dime on each side of my temple. I wz in so much pain one morning in church that I had to borrow scissors from the office to cut the wig cap of both sides to relieve the pressure. I graduated to fleshtone pantyhose which were looser and still gave me a natural look whenever I parted my wig. The satin scarf is safe but may show if you wear parts.

Also - I started buying synthetic LFwigs and never use glue just bobby pins, and the combs or bands that are attached to the wig. No glue or residue to clean up or worry about and I can remove it every night to moisturize my hair. I normally wear them in the winter if at all and I wear a plastic cap covered by a stocking or wig cap then the wig. So I am baggying all day and my hair is moist, warm and safe!

p.s. I am by no means an expert - this has been my experience.

Distorted Barbie

All i use are bobby pins...Here's my newest LF that I wore this weekend..As u can see in the first pic, it held up pretty well.

Attachments

• DSCN0524.jpg
    DSCN0524.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN0479.jpg
    DSCN0479.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 59

topsyturvy86

I only tried one type of tape and the answer for me was no. I always added glue. I noticed with the glue though (I wore the full lace wig in the summer) is that the glue always seemed to look shiny like it was not dry. I rocked it anyway. The first time I had it professionally installed then I started doing it myself becuz I washed every week. Very time consuming by the way to clean my wig, let it air dry and complete my regimen.

2) What happens to the back of the wig? In the application videos it looks like they only secure the front but do nothing with the back. Can you wear your hair in a pony tail and sit still look natural? If its a full lace wig you can glue it down as well (I did) but was never brave enough to wear an updo. Or you can use wig clips. If it is a front lace only it will probably have a band or comb in the back to secure it. Many people do wear ponytails and updo hairstyles I always felt self conscious though with the full lace bcuz it wz kinda messy back there or a small section would not stay down.

Just wrapped the hair in a satin scarf or braided it in two braids and wore a bonnet.

Yes, if the wig cap is too tight it will cause trouble. I had matching bald spots about the size of a dime on each side of my temple. I wz in so much pain one morning in church that I had to borrow scissors from the office to cut the wig cap of both sides to relieve the pressure. I graduated to fleshtone pantyhose which were looser and still gave me a natural look whenever I parted my wig. The satin scarf is safe but may show if you wear parts.

Also - I started buying synthetic LFwigs and never use glue just bobby pins, and the combs or bands that are attached to the wig. No glue or residue to clean up or worry about and I can remove it every night to moisturize my hair. I normally wear them in the winter if at all and I wear a plastic cap covered by a stocking or wig cap then the wig. So I am baggying all day and my hair is moist, warm and safe!

p.s. I am by no means an expert - this has been my experience.

Thanks Lady PBC! Regarding the parts in bold, would loose powder work to tone down the shininess? Also, the satin cap will show? Does the wig cap show?

I'm really looking forward to getting one. It's my birthday coming up soon, every year my parents ask what I want and I never know so they just get me whatever; but this year, I know! -------> http://www.uklw.co.uk/productdetail.php?len_id=9&prod_id=17&sz_id=&sil_id=&dn_id= :grin:

Demi27

OP, I think it depends on if you're getting a Lace Front or a full lace wig. If you're getting a lace front most of them are a little different than full lace wigs. Most lace fronts just have lace in the front and combs and/or straps in the back (like the other ladies said). The lace on a lace front is (generally)harder than the lace in a full lace wig. I only glued my lace fronts a few times. The combs and the stiffness of the lace made it secure enough on my head.

I've only used glue on my lace fronts a few times. I have a full lace wig right now and I'm using Supertape. I'm finding that I got about the same (or possibly longer) hold with the glue I bought from the BSS. I was a little disappointed because so many people said Supertape was so great, but it does depend on body chemistry (as stated above).

2) What happens to the back of the wig? In the application videos it looks like they only secure the front but do nothing with the back. Can you wear your hair in a pony tail and sit still look natural? For my lace fronts, I always took the combs out the back. They caused breakage. I would secure the back with bobby pins.

3) How do you sleep with it? I did tape my full lace wig in the back. I wrapped it up at night (just like I would wrap my own hair for a doobie).

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Distorted Barbie

I like it - may I ask where you purchased it? Is it synthetic or human hair.

Thankies..It was my first attempt at a wig with color..I got it from a local beaity supply store, but i've seen it online too...It is called Joy by Model Model. It is a synthetic LF with "baby hairs" that is heat resistant Futura material.

Last edited:

topsyturvy86

OP, I think it depends on if you're getting a Lace Front or a full lace wig. If you're getting a lace front most of them are a little different than full lace wigs. Most lace fronts just have lace in the front and combs and/or straps in the back (like the other ladies said). The lace on a lace front is (generally)harder than the lace in a full lace wig. I only glued my lace fronts a few times. The combs and the stiffness of the lace made it secure enough on my head.

I've only used glue on my lace fronts a few times. I have a full lace wig right now and I'm using Supertape. I'm finding that I got about the same (or possibly longer) hold with the glue I bought from the BSS. I was a little disappointed because so many people said Supertape was so great, but it does depend on body chemistry (as stated above).

2) What happens to the back of the wig? In the application videos it looks like they only secure the front but do nothing with the back. Can you wear your hair in a pony tail and sit still look natural? For my lace fronts, I always took the combs out the back. They caused breakage. I would secure the back with bobby pins.

3) How do you sleep with it? I did tape my full lace wig in the back. I wrapped it up at night (just like I would wrap my own hair for a doobie).

Hope this helps!

Thanks! It helps a lot. I thought lace front and lace wigs were the same and the words could be used interchangeably. This turning out more complicated than I thought.

I wanted to invest in one to wear as a normal style for like 6 months or so to rest my hair and give it a break. I have a preference for glue so it can last until wash day which would be every two weeks. This is my hair plan.

Sorry ladies, one more question ... is the wig heavy or light to wear?

JJamiah

Personally I don't glue my lace fronts/ lace wigs down. I just put them on usually and go. I don't use the combs either. I wear a Mesh wig cap underneath my lace front on top of my corn rows. :)

I spray them every other day with braid spray because of my itchy scalp so glueing isn't an option for me. :)

I find the wigs to be light weight, but I also am wearing chin length hair to shoulder length hair so that could make a difference in the weight, maybe longer hair would be heavier :ohwell: :D

LadyPBC

Thanks Lady PBC! Regarding the parts in bold, would loose powder work to tone down the shininess? Also, the satin cap will show? Does the wig cap show?

I'm really looking forward to getting one. It's my birthday coming up soon, every year my parents ask what I want and I never know so they just get me whatever; but this year, I know! -------> http://www.uklw.co.uk/productdetail.php?len_id=9&prod_id=17&sz_id=&sil_id=&dn_id= :grin:

I never tried loose powder on that part of the wig what I did try though was cutting the lace all the way back/off (pretty much to the actual hair line) especially on the synthetic lace front ones so that there was no exposed lace. Of course in this case the glue gets much closer to your hair line :blush: - sooo I didn't use glue. I would probably be nervous (talkin about me) to apply powder thinking I would make a gooey mess but you can give it a try.

The wig cap will show but won't be much of a distraction because you'll wear one that is close to the color of your skintone or scalp - it won't be noticeable at all unless someone close to you and staring at your head looking for something.

I moved to pantyhose because there was less pressure on my head and hairline. I knew it wasn't the glue that gave me the bald spots becuz they were about an 3/4 of an inch away from my hairline - had to be teh doggone wig cap. One part of the pantyhose is thicker than the actual sheer part that covers your legs. Options - use pantyhose that are not control top:yep:

Well I'm quietly ??? leaving this post since I seemed to have gone off in another direction LOL. Hope I addressed your questions. How cool to get a lace wig as a gift - ENJOY!

LadyPBC

Thanks! It helps a lot. I thought lace front and lace wigs were the same and the words could be used interchangeably. This turning out more complicated than I thought.

I wanted to invest in one to wear as a normal style for like 6 months or so to rest my hair and give it a break. I have a preference for glue so it can last until wash day which would be every two weeks. This is my hair plan.

Sorry ladies, one more question ... is the wig heavy or light to wear?

When I first ventured out I wanted the 2 week hold too but I never got a full week out of my applications using glue or tape or the combo (I blame the person that applied it :look: - ME:blush:. The lace would always start lifting somewhere :wallbash: after a while I didn't care cuz I wanted to DC weekly anyhow.:yep: