Ladies be careful!

Nayna

Unbothered
Hello all!

Here's the deal. I'm a junior stylist in a natural salon that doesn't straighten hair. So a few of our clients just opt to go elsewhere to get their hair straightened. Recently a few of our clients have been telling us stories of salons mixing relaxers with conditioners in order to get their hair straighter. I'll give two examples.

First example. A client used to get Dominican blowouts. She was short on time and just stuck with a rollerset. She's a solid 4b. When I saw her she had broken pieces at her scalp and her hair was straightish/curlyish and not quite 4 anymore. She said the minute they rinsed the dc out her hair was no longer it's texture. After the rollerset she said her hair just went downhill.

Second example. A clients hair was originally SL. When I met her I assumed she had recently BC'd and still had relaxed ends. She informed me that she's been natural for years and that she's only been getting it pressed. But on the last press her hair was sleeker and shinier than usual. She said her stylist mixed something but she wasn't paying attention and since she didn't smell anything she didn't think anything was up. She did say that she got a 15 minute dc with whatever was mixed. After it was all said and done her hair gradually fell off and she now has only 2 inches of hair. She still has straight ends but I just felt bad cutting it all off.

I could go on but I think you guys get it. If you go to a salon where they complain about the thickness of your hair or things like that don't let them touch your hair. Both of these ladies had thick hair 4 type hair. My guess is that they are just putting it in and not neutralizing afterwards. I can't think of any places that shampoo after a dc.

I don't normally start threads but there was enough people to make me see that something is afoot. Why people would do such a nasty thing is beyond me.

Pompous Blue

I am horror-stricken that there are people who would be that evil and sneaky!! Yet another reason I will never go to a salon.....If I want my hair straightened or trimmed, I'll do it myself!!

I am just speechless.....

Thanks for this post OP

DivaD04

Wow! I'm appalled people would do such a thing.
You know, I'm not surprised b/c many people are hooked on working with straight hair because they think straight hair is easier then our kinky, colied hair. Just because it's coiled doesn't mean it's hard to comb....tlc is not difficult, then again, to some stylist, they may think that statement is an understatement.
I love all hair types, whether relaxed or natural...I just wished stylists/braiders felt the same way. *sigh*
Thanks for the heads up Nayna!

Gibsongal

Now that's just lowdown!!!! Good Lord. This makes my blood boil. It's hacks like this that gives us good, legitimate stylists a bad name. Wow........Thanks for the warning OP. I haven't heard of this, but I'll keep my eye out for it.

hopeful

Thank you for sharing this! Just plain awful. I am going to continue to work on my DIY skills, people are CRAZY. They need to mess with the wrong chick just one time...

kmn1980

Emoticons don't affect me
Thanks for this. I re-posted this as a Facebook note so that others will know.

producjunki

Just a quick question, is this going on in Dominican salons or Black salons? I've noticed that after going to the Doms for quite sometime my hair now has like three different textures in it, and it seems a little suspect to me.

producjunki

That's crazy. I might as well start taking my own DC'er from the house to the salon from now on to make sure I know what's being put in my head.

prettybyrd

I can totally believe this! The stylist I was using for years told me last year that at my next appointment she was going to " use a little perm and just run it through my hair to loosen the curls a little." I did not ask her to, and I expressed my desire for natural hair, I only straighten about 3-4 times a year, if that.

I knew before I left that salon I would never be back - and it's sad because I recommended several people to her and she is amazing at what she does. It really is underhanded that people would do this without someone knowing about it.

BostonMaria

If you go to a salon where they complain about the thickness of your hair or things like that don't let them touch your hair. Both of these ladies had thick hair 4 type hair. My guess is that they are just putting it in and not neutralizing afterwards. I can't think of any places that shampoo after a dc.

I don't normally start threads but there was enough people to make me see that something is afoot. Why people would do such a nasty thing is beyond me.

I've been saying the bolded for years now. If the sytlist complains about your hair, run Forest run!

I would have to beat somebody down if they put a relaxer in my hair without my consent.

Nayna

Unbothered
Right... I'm a stylist and no one straightens my hair but me. I just feel awful when I see it. Especially the last girl. My boss and her worked hard on getting her hair healthy and just like that her hair is gone. She took it like a champ but I knew it hurt cus she cut hair before coming in and I still had to cut her hair (and I still didn't cut it all out). She is now ps'ing until January. It's not fair. As a stylist I hate to say it, but some people just don't give a crap about your hair. They worry about the end result. It sucks. Because now she's coming back and starting over when she shouldn't have to. smh. It really bothered me.

belldandy

that's terrible! Thanks for the heads up.
I will take my own treatments when I go to a salon. Not gonna jump to conclusions and stop going to stylists of color though...

doriannc

what!?! I would be in jail if that happened. that is why I air dry my hair and have the stylist flat iron it, or wash my hair and set it. I don't trust products used in salons.

Nayna

Unbothered
The first example was a Dominican salon. The second I'm not sure. She's in the entertainment business so I think it was a private on set stylist but I didn't ask the race. The other people that have complained have been mostly Dominican salons. But I don't put it past anyone.

nikkigill

Wow... That's just awful. As a hairstylist myself, I would NEVER chemically straighten a clients hair without their knowledge. In what area is this happening?

teacherjess

This is awful! Thanks for alerting us to this. I am glad I only go to the salon for a relaxer, so the chances that my beautician would sneak relaxer into the conditioner (after a relaxer application anyway) is slim to none...knock on wood.

NeauxOneCurr

I understand that some people are tricky, but how are we sure that it is not heat damage?

As for bringing your own product, the only way you can be 100% is by bringing a pack.

I hope everyone can retain their health after the accidents!

Nayna

Unbothered
Wow... That's just awful. As a hairstylist myself, I would NEVER chemically straighten a clients hair without their knowledge. In what area is this happening?

I work in Brooklyn. We get clients from the tri state area for the most part. I'm thinking it's a mixture of both types of salons. Or just lazy arse stylists. Come on now, you know daggone well that a relaxer has to neutralized. If you are just running it through not only are you being a sneak but you have to know that the relaxer is going to keep working once they leave. And you don't have to have a license to know that it's wrong.

Giselle685

Thanks OP.

By the way, I am going to a Salon tomorrow to get my Senegalese Twists put in. THE HORROR. This lady actually was complaining about my texture and she is African. *SKRONG eye roll* Handling my head all hard just because! My hair is so soft when I go in there, I don't know why she man handles me!

Nayna

Unbothered
I understand that some people are tricky, but how are we sure that it is not heat damage?

As for bringing your own product, the only way you can be 100% is by bringing a pack.

I hope everyone can retain their health after the accidents!

I thought about that too. And that's what we initially blamed it on. But the way some people's hair was breaking off was too extreme. To me it's just too excessive. And it's too similar to the way people's hair start breaking a week after a relaxer. Heat damage is one thing. Like with hair no longer reverting But hair breaking off to the point where a SL person goes to a TWA? Something ain't right. Or patches on your scalp from a rollerset? Rollersets are relatively safe to me. Plus most of these ladies straighten just to get a break here and there. Except the last example.

I can understand breakage because it happens. I can't understand bone straight hair. Not even a little curl reversion. I'm not bashing all stylists cus I'm one myself and we all aren't like that. Heck this forum helped me see what I wanted to do for our hair. But be careful. I believe my clients and I just believe it. A whole new texture after a dc? And that's only two examples. It's crazy.

Last edited: