Ladies be careful!

kmn1980

Emoticons don't affect me
You got that right!!!

Do you think ladies should have a little private corner consultation with their 'stylist' before they get anything done. You know, call her to the side, outa sight, say you want to show her a picture.......then...You know, flash some knuckle dusters and allude to "your cousin's friend that jacked up the last person who messed with a friends hair...?" Maybe give her a fluttery eye crazy stare with mouth open for split second......AND SAY, THIS IS THE PICTURE OF MY COUSIN'S FRIEN!...BUT SHE ABOUT TO GET OUT THO.!"..(The pic could be a Down load of a hardened lady felon from a prison web site! ) lololol yeah.......just being silly! lolol

You're joking but that may not be too unreasonable. If this ever happened to me, I'd kill the stylist, BC again, make a glass of peach tea and wait for them to come lock me up.

prettybyrd

It is one thing to tell you that she is going to do that, but it is another thing to do it underhandedly and not say anything at all and then take my hair out. It's time to fight, then.

You're right, and I'm glad that she told me, because I did have the choice to go back and get my hair relaxed (even if just a little bit :rolleyes:), or try another salon where there was no pressure to relax my hair. She was a flat ironing and trimming champion, which is why I continued to see her, even though she did not specialize in natural haircare.

And even though she tried on numerous occasions to talk me out of being natural, that one comment was all it took to keep me out of her chair forever. Unlike a lot of the stylists others mention, this woman was/is a superb beautician, she just didn't want to do natural hair - but she wanted to keep her growing natural clientele. :ohwell:

My shock at the underhandedness isn't at my former stylist, it's with the stylists others are writing about who don't give a heads up that they are going to relax the hair. The UNprofessionals. When I go, I only go to salons that specialize in natural hair and that do not relax. I have nothing against relaxed hair, I just don't want it on my head.

Oh, and Ava2 - I miss that good salon gossip too! :) :lachen:

ChanelNo5

Maybe we should have LHCF approved salon's....

There most definitely are LHCF approved salons in the Salon Review Forum. That's where I found my current stylist and I couldn't be happier. The first time I went to her I was at the end of a 10 month stretch and nervous as heck about seeing someone new. But we had a great consultation and she came highly LHCF recommended.

As I sat waiting with base on my scalp she encouraged me to consider foregoing the relaxer for just a blow out. I was like ":nono: I don't have the texture for that, the natural look just isn't my style, how will I style it when I don't come here...blah blah excuse excuse??"

She kindly said "I tell you what, you just watch me do her hair (client in her chair) and think about it, you can always put a relaxer in, 10 months is a long time."

I tell you I watched her gently blow out this ladies hair from 6-8 kinky shrunken braids, then flat iron it into thick,silky, shiny MBL hair.:shocked:And get this.....it was dyed warm caramel honey blonde and still as healthy looking as it could be. Absolutely beautiful.

I am now 15 months into my transition. I WOULD NOT be going natural if not her.

I say all this to say that there are good and bad stylists out there. But I think you can limit the chances of a catastrophe by only going to those with strong referrals, and having a consultation to get to know the stylist and her hair care philosophies. Don't just sit in anybody's chair ladies!!!!

mscocoface

Hello all!

Here's the deal. I'm a junior stylist in a natural salon that doesn't straighten hair. So a few of our clients just opt to go elsewhere to get their hair straightened. Recently a few of our clients have been telling us stories of salons mixing relaxers with conditioners in order to get their hair straighter. I'll give two examples.

First example. A client used to get Dominican blowouts. She was short on time and just stuck with a rollerset. She's a solid 4b. When I saw her she had broken pieces at her scalp and her hair was straightish/curlyish and not quite 4 anymore. She said the minute they rinsed the dc out her hair was no longer it's texture. After the rollerset she said her hair just went downhill.

Second example. A clients hair was originally SL. When I met her I assumed she had recently BC'd and still had relaxed ends. She informed me that she's been natural for years and that she's only been getting it pressed. But on the last press her hair was sleeker and shinier than usual. She said her stylist mixed something but she wasn't paying attention and since she didn't smell anything she didn't think anything was up. She did say that she got a 15 minute dc with whatever was mixed. After it was all said and done her hair gradually fell off and she now has only 2 inches of hair. She still has straight ends but I just felt bad cutting it all off.

I could go on but I think you guys get it. If you go to a salon where they complain about the thickness of your hair or things like that don't let them touch your hair. Both of these ladies had thick hair 4 type hair. My guess is that they are just putting it in and not neutralizing afterwards. I can't think of any places that shampoo after a dc.

I don't normally start threads but there was enough people to make me see that something is afoot. Why people would do such a nasty thing is beyond me.

This practice is going to get someone hurt if it continues. Why are these folks being so dishonest and I could use some bad words but you get my jist.

This is soooo not cool. Where in the world did this get started?