Ladies I really need some help....Underprocessed

Kiki82

OK...usually I use Motion Kids relaxer (mild) and my hair usually takes really well, BUT for the past year the last three times that I relaxed my hair it was serverly underprocessed. My last relaxer in 2009 I was underprocessed (motions kids relaxer) I relaxed again in feb 2010 (affirm relaxer) was underprocessed....relaxed again in june 2010(went back to motions kids relaxer)....still underprocessed waited about 6 weeks to do corrective relaxer using (motions relaxer). I had the stylist comb thru my hair and it still was underprocessed.

Ladies, I'm just about fed up. So I decided to do a 6 month stretch because the back of my hair (crown) is totally suffering from breakage from my hair being underprocessed. I also decided to use Olive Oil relaxer in normal for fine medium textures, and pray that it takes.

My thing is how do I prep for this relaxer, and how do I care for my hair when it is straight in some areas and wavy in other areas.. sometime both on the same strand.....if I comb it breaks...I just don't know what to do??? I am editing to attach a pic of the bad damage....the front is long but the crown is gone....the line drawn is where I want to cut after six months...or can I grow out this damage???

Please help...

Attachments

• Q hair.jpg
    Q hair.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

mstk

I think you will have to cut the damaged parts off eventually. You can trim gradually so it doesn't feel like such a shock. I'm relaxed transitioning to texlaxed, so I'm having the same issue, but mine is intentional. I plan to trim over a year or two to get rid of the relaxed ends.

aymone

Sometimes you have to make sure that your hair is moisturized enough. Also, you may want to straighten you hair especially your regrowth a few days before your relaxer. Also, you could trim the ends to get it even, that way you can appreciate the fullness or thickness of your hair.

CA*Nappy

I would definitely trim the ends where your line is. And suggest that you switch to a different relaxer. Not sure why the use of Motions for Kids. If for a lighter or less evasive relaxer I would use a mild version of one. And use all the relaxer tips from here to get a good touchup in 3 mths. But from your pick your hair looks good except from the ends. Which a trusted person with scissors should take care of for you. Good luck!

Kiki82

I would definitely trim the ends where your line is. And suggest that you switch to a different relaxer. Not sure why the use of Motions for Kids. If for a lighter or less evasive relaxer I would use a mild version of one. And use all the relaxer tips from here to get a good touchup in 3 mths. But from your pick your hair looks good except from the ends. Which a trusted person with scissors should take care of for you. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice....I started using motions kids relaxer because my nape broke off really bad...it did help the nape but now the crown is gone from being underprocessed.

CA*Nappy

I found a usefull tip here was to separate the nape and edges from the rest of the hair when relaxing and put the relaxer on those parts lasts. It has turned by daughers edges and napes totally around. NO more breakage. They are the longest parts now.

So next time put the relaxer on the crown last and incorporate leaving the neutralizing shampoo on for 5 min. and doing a mid step protein treatment.

Dogmd

This use to happen to me when I first began self relaxing. What I did to correct the problem was to use a good clarifying and chelating shampoo regularly. For me, that was at least once every 4 weeks. From what I learned on these hair boards (and mainly from Sistaslick) is that over time mineral deposits from hard water, build up on top of your hair, so if you don't use a chelating shampoo from time to time, the relaxer will barely touch the hair and your hair ends up damaged and underprocessed. I use Kenra claryfying and chelating shampoo. NO MORE UNDERPROCESSED HAIR! Please do not just use a CLARIFYING shampoo. It doesn't do the same thing! HTH

SelfStyled

Aww you poor thing! Kiki I think it is smart that you are going to use a different relaxer for your next touch up. My hair is is underprocessed every single time, so I know how you feel. Whether I self relax or go to the salon it is underprocessed/texlaxed. I finally have accepted that this is just my hair. For me I feel like my body chemistry changed after I had my 3rd child- prior to that sweet angel my hair would process much straighter, but now forget about it.

I am thinking your hair has become resistant like mine. Like Dog MD said make sure your last wash before your relaxer is done with a chelating poo. Also make sure your hair is somewhat straightend so it is easier to access the NG- it does not have to be flat ironed, a rollerset would be just fine. As far as all the diferent textures going on- moisture has been my best weapon in the forms of DC and intsant moisturizers daily.

Cutting is subjective, but for me, I would feel better with a fresh start, so I probably would even it out. How do you wear your hair on the regular? If you are doing curly styles or protective styles than it really would not matter.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Along with the other tips, my experience is that the healthier and stronger your hair becomes, the more it seems to "resist" relaxing. Relaxing breaks bonds in the hair. Hair that is already in poor condition already has broken bonds so it has kind of helped the relaxer. It's like a guy not having to work as hard to get in bed with the town slut! She's already a slut. She's easy. :look:

I did find that the better I took care of my hair, the harder it was to relax. My best advice would be for you to break down your new growth a little to help the relaxer "take" better. I do this by blowdrying and flat-ironing my hair about a week before I plan to relax. I make sure that I get the new growth as straight as possible with the blow dryer and flat iron. A week later when it's time to relax, it has reverted just enough that I can see the curl pattern enough to apply relaxer to it and the fact that I broke it down somewhat with heat the week before helps the relaxer to process the hair better.

Kiki82

This use to happen to me when I first began self relaxing. What I did to correct the problem was to use a good clarifying and chelating shampoo regularly. For me, that was at least once every 4 weeks. From what I learned on these hair boards (and mainly from Sistaslick) is that over time mineral deposits from hard water, build up on top of your hair, so if you don't use a chelating shampoo from time to time, the relaxer will barely touch the hair and your hair ends up damaged and underprocessed. I use Kenra claryfying and chelating shampoo. NO MORE UNDERPROCESSED HAIR! Please do not just use a CLARIFYING shampoo. It doesn't do the same thing! HTH

Thank you honey! I will invest in a clarifying and chelating shampoo...

Kiki82

Aww you poor thing! Kiki I think it is smart that you are going to use a different relaxer for your next touch up. My hair is is underprocessed every single time, so I know how you feel. Whether I self relax or go to the salon it is underprocessed/texlaxed. I finally have accepted that this is just my hair. For me I feel like my body chemistry changed after I had my 3rd child- prior to that sweet angel my hair would process much straighter, but now forget about it.

I am thinking your hair has become resistant like mine. Like Dog MD said make sure your last wash before your relaxer is done with a chelating poo. Also make sure your hair is somewhat straightend so it is easier to access the NG- it does not have to be flat ironed, a rollerset would be just fine. As far as all the diferent textures going on- moisture has been my best weapon in the forms of DC and intsant moisturizers daily.

Cutting is subjective, but for me, I would feel better with a fresh start, so I probably would even it out. How do you wear your hair on the regular? If you are doing curly styles or protective styles than it really would not matter.

Thanks for the reponse hon!! My hair is usually in a ponytail, bun, bantu knots or braid outs...don't wear it straight too often.. I don't use heat often....but in dec 09 it wasn't like this....it looks bad but I think with a good relaxer it would actually look better because my nape was always shorter than the front, but it has grown out (it isn't bone straight back there which always makes it look shorter)...not as long as the front but about APL. Hopefully, by dec 2010 I will do a lenght check and keep ya posted before I cut it.

Kiki82

Along with the other tips, my experience is that the healthier and stronger your hair becomes, the more it seems to "resist" relaxing. Relaxing breaks bonds in the hair. Hair that is already in poor condition already has broken bonds so it has kind of helped the relaxer. It's like a guy not having to work as hard to get in bed with the town slut! She's already a slut. She's easy. :look:

I did find that the better I took care of my hair, the harder it was to relax. My best advice would be for you to break down your new growth a little to help the relaxer "take" better. I do this by blowdrying and flat-ironing my hair about a week before I plan to relax. I make sure that I get the new growth as straight as possible with the blow dryer and flat iron. A week later when it's time to relax, it has reverted just enough that I can see the curl pattern enough to apply relaxer to it and the fact that I broke it down somewhat with heat the week before helps the relaxer to process the hair better.

Funny at the bolded! I didn't know that as your hair gets healthier it becomes resistant to relaxers. When I get ready to relax I will rollerset and flatiron the roots. Thank you for the great information.