Ladies, let it sit....

Amarech

I just put some of the best relaxer advice to the test and got great results.

We all know that we are supposed to neutralize but did you know the correct way to neutralize?

All relaxer kits come with a neutralizing shampoo that starts out pink but turns white when the hair is "properly" neutralized. I didn't realize there is more to it than that.

When you apply a relaxer it penetrates to the hair shaft--thats where the sulfide bonds are that make our hair curly, kinky whatever.

Applying the neutralizing shampoo and then washing it out repeatedly until it turns white means only the cuticle gets neutralized. Newer methods advocate washing, but only after letting the shampoo sit on the hair so that it can penetrate the shaft where the rest of the relaxer still sits.

This is why there is so much shedding and that irritating "perm" smell.

Well this time I got a lot less shedding and no perm smell. You also wash less which is better for freshly permed hair. the friction from washing can damage hair that has been weakened from the relaxer. I put the shampoo in, lathered up and let it sit for about 5 min. Doing it this way I washed only twice before the lather turned white so I know it works. I washed one more time just for my peace of mind and I had no perm smell!!!

I will post the website where I found this info but for now I just wanted to share what I know.....

LaNecia

Great information! The Motions Herbal Line comes with a Neutralizing CONDITIONER that is to be left in for 10 minutes then followed with their Shampoo.I had great results with this, I'd never done that before...LETTING IT SIT but it's a hit! I do this for my mom's hair as well now (with her neutralizing shampoo).

Porsche19

I do this 3 times (rinse, lather and leave for 5 minutes)! Maybe scaling it down to just 2 times would be sufficient.

What do you ladies think?

Nenah

This is good to know I usually wash until the smell is gone or it's no longer pink:) I will keep this in mind for my next touch up.

brickhouse

Thanks. I normally let mine sit when I am washing at home and I will make sure my stylist let it sit when I get my touchup.

NYCQT16

Natural Again
Thank you for the info!! I always wanted to do this but was afraid if it was still pink then that meant relaxer was still in my hair and I was therefore letting the relaxer sit in and do more damage. Thanks to your post I know different.

VelvetRain

Any well knowledgable stylist knows to do this. I have been getting this same thing done to my hair for the past eight years and I get nothing but the best results. I think sometimes we think we only have one layer of hair to the shaft. There is more than just one layer to your hair shaft. You need to make sure the shampoo penetrates all layers to neutralize the hair properly.

Last edited:

shawniegee

New Cut for '09
I read to do this no on a perm pamphlet but I was scared. Maybe I'll try it, cause I hate all those shampoos.

Faith

I read this last night on some site too and thought it was great advice. I guess some relaxer lines have that in mind since they ask you use their reconstructor (like Affirm's 5 in 1) for 5 minutes before neutralizing. I do the 5 minutes for the conditioner and a minute or two for the shampoo but now I guess I'll do 5 minutes neutralizer as well.

goldensensation

I've been doing this since I first heard about it two years ago. The first lather I let it sit for 5 minutes and for the third lather, I let it sit for 10-15 minutes. It works great and it works even better since I switched to Profectiv's relaxer a little over a year ago; they have a neutralizing mousse so you dont have to manipulate your hair as much.

Healthb4Length

My former hair stylist would do this every time I got a texturizer touch up, he'd let the conditioner sit on my hair for like 10 minutes and then rinse, but in the neutralizer shampoo and let that sit for 10 minutes rinse and proceed with deep treatment. It worked like a charm and I always had great results. Thanks for sharing!

aileendq

VWVixxen said:
The Motions Herbal Line comes with a Neutralizing CONDITIONER that is to be left in for 10 minutes then followed with their Shampoo.

Hi,

Is it actually neutralizing conditioner? I was using Motions Moisturizing Oil relaxer, and the instructions tell you to pput the conditioner in after rinsing and before the shampoo, but it doesn't say anywhere that it is acting as a neutralizer. I never do this because it can result in overprocessing. BUT if the cond is also a neutralizer, it might not be a bad idea.

TIA!