Ladies... wash your hair!

Theresamonet

It's a matter of hygiene ..

Many people wash their hair daily, not co wash, but wash. I'm pretty sure that they could make a case that you weekly washers, or even every other day-ers, are practicing poor hygiene.

Anyone who is not washing their hair at the same rate as the rest of their bodies, can really come off the high hygiene horse.

Hair should be washed on an as need basis. Everyones need is different.

Lilmama1011

Theresamonet said:
Many people wash their hair daily, not co wash, but wash. I'm pretty sure that they could make a case that you weekly washers, or even every other day-ers, are practicing poor hygiene.

Anyone who is not washing their hair at the same rate as the rest of their bodies, can really come off the high hygiene horse.

Hair should be washed on an as need basis. Everyones need is different.

It depends on how much products you use, if you have product buildup and your hair starts to stank than you need to wash frequently. But if your very light on moisturizing you can go for a while without washing, so great point

sckri23

It depends on the body and the lifestyle too. If your an active person your need to wash your hair. If you just sweat alot, you need to was your hair. If your having hot flashes, you need to wash your hair. Cause from what I learned any body part that has hair can be musty. Thats why women have "powder the pooch" days.

Sckri23 from my SCH-I500 using LHCF

Melaninme

My sister washes her natural hair every two weeks and I've never noticed it smelling. Her hair is APL unstretched, so she has a lot of hair too.

I also wash my natural strands every two weeks with no issues of funky hair nor any scalp issues. I do spray my hair on wash day with a fragrant leave in that lasts between washings. I also wash my scarf that I use to tie my hair down at night every two - three days and spray the same leave in on it prior to drying it.

Now I can't say that if I didn't do the above that my hair wouldn't stink over the two week period of time, but I'm not one for washing my strands often as for me it's too much work. I too like having fresh smelling hair and I'm able to achieve it by doing the above.

BEAUTYU2U

Here we go :rolleyes:

I doubt the OP was talking about LHCF ladies but the reglah chicks from around the way who have no rhyme or reason for not washing their hair except to make a style last. Don't be sensitive.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Everytime this topic comes around folks get butthurt.

If 'you' or the surrounding public can't smell the 2+ weeks of accumulated elements in your unwashed hair then clap, clap, clap.

There are people being referenced in this thread who are walking around with a sphere of funk orbiting their dome but would call you a lie if you brought it up to them.

If you don't believe you stink and have an entourage of hair sniffers confirming it then why be mad?

Theresamonet

Here we go :rolleyes:

I doubt the OP was talking about LHCF ladies but the reglah chicks from around the way who have no rhyme or reason for not washing their hair except to make a style last. Don't be sensitive.

You are right, it's not that serious. So no need for the rolling of eyes... perhaps?

My comments were not really about the op, but other poster's comments that everyone needs to wash at least weekly. I disagree. It's called a discussion.

SmilingElephant

I've wondered if it has anything to do with how much sebum a person produces. I rarely feel like my hair needs washing, unless it's to remove product. I Just wash on a schedule: weekly for curly hair; monthly when straight. I've noticed that I produce very little sebum.

^^ I think ur on to something bc i discovered that i have an oily scalp. I tried to see how long i could go without washing out my flat ironed hair a few weeks ago.....:nono: My scalp started to itch so bad it felt bruised! My head was greasy at the scalp and i just felt dirty....i only lasted a week and like 2 days :(. It was awful.

When curly i can barely go beyond 3 days...i can manage a week...but my scalp will just itch like crazy! And i can smell the sebum when i first wet my hair in the shower....so frequent co washings are a MUST for me!

Sent from my Teleportation Device

BGT

I was gonna watch my hair tomorrow but I read this thread and washed it tonight. :lol:

Boujoichic

I straightened my hair for the first time in 6 months last saturday and was thinking that I could go 2 weeks without washing man was I wrong my scalp is so flaky and itchy. I don't know if its the serum I used or what but Im gonna have to wash tomorrow. I usually cowash either once every 3 days or once a week depending on how my hair behaves.

LaFemmeNaturelle

Everytime someone offers a differing opinion or alternative anecdote, that person is accused of being "butthurt".

This forum is silly.

Last edited:

karenjoe

:blush: guilty!!! I'm not mad. you made me laugh. ( I don't think mine stink...:sad: it did one time
( but that couldn't be helped it was an emergency:spinning:. It was embarassing when a hair dresser had to wash it for me.
she politely said I'm gonna wash it again ok?:lol: I said ok Ive been working out a lot!!!:perplexed

i hate when I smell someone's hair..... :naughty:
my brothers & an ex made me sick not washing their hair....
their pillows smelled awful ( my pillow case doesn't smell
My excuse is... I wear wigs, falls scarfs + I keep a wig cap on it..:thumbsup:

getting technical in my defense:a smelly scalp or hair is like smelly armpits.

some people need stronger deodorants than others. some need to wash more than others... I don"t NEED to wear deodorant but I do..:grin:

gotta go smell my pillow case

Aireen

But your friend defeated the whole purpose of washing her but I always notice some people don't wash their combs or brushes eww
That's another thing. People have the nerve to do Youtube videos on hair style tutorials and tips for healthy hair but pull out these dirty looking brushes and combs to use on their clean hair. They'll say "Oh sorry for my brush/comb looking so dirty." Honey, it's not me you need to say sorry to, you need to say sorry to yourself and clean your equipment. :nono: Seriously, I see people using round brushes that literally have a fist sized amount of hair caught in between the bristles.

cutenss

That's another thing. People have the nerve to do Youtube videos on hair style tutorials and tips for healthy hair but pull out these dirty looking brushes and combs to use on their clean hair. They'll say "Oh sorry for my brush/comb looking so dirty." Honey, it's not me you need to say sorry to, you need to say sorry to yourself and clean your equipment. :nono: Seriously, I see people using round brushes that literally have a fist sized amount of hair caught in between the bristles.

Yes. I am OCD about clean combs and brushes. You wouldn't put food you just cooked onto dirty plates, and then eat it dirty silverware :nono: I love washing my hair. Partly because I am a PJ, and partly because I like playing in my hair :yep:

greenandchic

I think that if you don't put much stuff in your hair maybe you can wash monthly. I like a weekly wash, because I just like water hitting my scalp.

For me its also environmental and part of living in the city where I sometimes use public transit, around dust, dirt, car exhaust, cig smoke, allergens, etc. I'm also at a gym several days a week. I suppose I could wear a scarf all over my head while I'm working out because I lay on benches while doing weights, but I just over that part with a towel. My hair is still exposed.

Aireen

Yes. I am OCD about clean combs and brushes. You wouldn't put food you just cooked onto dirty plates, and then eat it dirty silverware :nono: I love washing my hair. Partly because I am a PJ, and partly because I like playing in my hair :yep:
I love washing my hair too but that's another excuse I'm using as to why I need to wash my hair frequently, I need to use up products.

Bublin

Meh. I wash once a month and my hair does not stink. People stay in my hair so I'd assume they wouldn't play so much if it had a bad smell. My hair actually would start smelling when I co-washed often because it never had a chance to dry. I don't have time to blowdry and my hair is thick and long so once I noticed it getting a mildew smell, I stopped washing/wetting it so often. Now my hair and scalp smells fine all the time and I even get compliments from men on the smell sometimes. Whatevs.

ETA: I also don't put anything on my scalp and rarely moisturize my hair.

@LaFemmeNaturelle
I'm interested. How do you get away with washing once a month and rarely moisturising your hair? How are you wearing your hair?

melissa-bee

I've realised I can't go more than about 9 days before my scalp starts smelling. I normally wash my hair once every 7 days but since i straighten my hair once a month now I've been trying to stretch washing for 2 weeks but it's just not happening. I think it starts smelling when I put almond oil on my scalp. I choose that oil mostly because it has no scent but it still produces an odour when on my scalp for a day or 2.

mz.rae

Lol! This use to be me, I don't think my hair smelled to others but it would smell to me. Back in the day I use to only get my hair washed once a month at the salon and then leave it alone. I remember when I use to scratch my scalp white flakes would be under my nails and my finger would have a smell to it. I think I felt I couldn't handle washing my natural hair back then and I could never get it as straight so I just left it for the salon. Now I was my hair weekly, but since I'm back natural and plan to wear my hair straight most of the time I plan to wash every two weeks. It has been hard going this long because I'm use to doing it weekly.

faithVA

I remember when I was younger my mom told me her sisters hair would smell if she didn't wash it every week. I had no clue what she meant. My scalp and hair don't smell even if I don't wash it for a month. I think it is probably because my scalp produces very little sebum, so my scalp and hair actually dehydrates over time versus gets oily.

So I've never experienced this smelly hair that people speak of. But I wash my hair once a week because my scalp dehydrates quickly and it needs some fresh water on it. Right now I am doing twice a week.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I never understood how some women could wait 2+ weeks to wash their hair. I was on the train today and sat next to a woman with hair so rank... I could hardly believe it. I was lookin around and thinking.. "What in the world"???

If you're one of these people who can wait weeks to wash your hair please make sure it ain't funky.

Sheesh!!!

Just my 2 cents

amen to this.

Jewell

I remember when I was younger my mom told me her sisters hair would smell if she didn't wash it every week. I had no clue what she meant. My scalp and hair don't smell even if I don't wash it for a month. I think it is probably because my scalp produces very little sebum, so my scalp and hair actually dehydrates over time versus gets oily.

So I've never experienced this smelly hair that people speak of. But I wash my hair once a week because my scalp dehydrates quickly and it needs some fresh water on it. Right now I am doing twice a week.

Exactly. People have different body chemistry as well. There are people who can go without deodorant being applied daily, and others who can't. Same with the hair washing. My hair and scalp gets drier the longer I go without washing. But it has never ever had an unpleasant odor, even if I had braids with extensions in for weeks. But then again, I do wash my scalp while in long-term styles just to keep it healthy.

Making sure your scalp and body don't smell is just basic personal hygiene, and as grown women people should obviously be on top of.

So these repeat headline public service announcements about "wash your hair" are really unnecessary. If the woman was up on her hygiene she wouldn't be stinking, POINT BLANK. Check YOURSELF and you would know if you have an unseemly aroma.

For example, some women smell like fish during Aunt Flow, or some have certain strong foods like garlic, fish, alcohol come literally out of their pores due to their body constitution. Others don't. This is something that the individual has to deal with.

Last edited:

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
A trichologist told me we should wash our hair every 4-7 days. That is how often I have been getting my hair washed since I was a little girl. I understand that some prefer to go longer periods between washing. If I can no longer smell the conditioner, it is time for a wash, LOL!

Jewell

Yes lawd. Ever since I was a pre-teen I was very conscious of clean hair tools. I put my combs and brushes in an old plastic basin (the type they give you in the hospital) and cover them with hot water and bleach. Melts all the oil and product residue off and kills microbes. I do this every time I wash my hair which is every 1-2 weeks depending on what products I'm using/style my hair is in. I also make a point of washing hair scarves weekly.

I think the herbal oils I love to use on my scalp are definitely antifungal and antimicrobial cuz I have never ever had an odor come from not washing. Never. My DF is always smelling my hair and running his hands through it so if it smelled I'm sure he would say so!

Jewell

I wash every 2 weeks, but wash my scarves (I have 3) weekly. I don't do anything but sit around the house all day and make jewelry so I'm not working up a sweat to have to wash more often than that :lol:

Lol! This is me too! Just sitting around minding my baby and I also make jewelry as a hobby. I wear my scarf all the time unless I'm leaving the house or gonna wash my hair. I produce very little sebum like other posters mentioned as well.

Lol at the "dirt makes hair grow" thing. I still have people in my fam saying and believing in this too!

Nice thread.

almond eyes

I am ashamed to say that when I used to wear extension braids I would take them out and get my hair washed every eight weeks. I had a very demanding job and it was impossible to find the time to get them done. I would rinse my hair every four weeks with the extension braids and my entire style would be messed up. And I would be so ashamed to have people around my scalp and to see the flakes and smell it. And the more braid products I would spray the worse it would get. And as a little girl, my African mother like most West African mothers believed braid the hair in tight cornrows and keep those braids in for a month to two months.

When I started back on extension braids many years later, I no longer do that. A part of why I did that was coming from a family where we we taught that African hair needs to be washed once a month. As I got older I started to challenge that. I am sure it didn't help my dating life not have washed so much.

Now, I wash my twa everyday with a mild shampoo and conditioner. As it grows longer probably I will do it every four to seven days.

My skin is fresher, my hair smells lovely and I don't mind when people sniff around my hair.

Best,
Almond Eyes

levette

A trichologist told me we should wash our hair every 4-7 days. That is how often I have been getting my hair washed since I was a little girl. I understand that some prefer to go longer periods between washing. If I can no longer smell the conditioner, it is time for a wash, LOL!

This is the limit for me I can't even go a full 7 days without washing my hair. My scalps starts to cut up around day 5 and I hate the greasy look. I usually wash my hair every 4 to 5 days

greenandchic

Yes lawd. Ever since I was a pre-teen I was very conscious of clean hair tools. I put my combs and brushes in an old plastic basin (the type they give you in the hospital) and cover them with hot water and bleach. Melts all the oil and product residue off and kills microbes. I do this every time I wash my hair which is every 1-2 weeks depending on what products I'm using/style my hair is in. I also make a point of washing hair scarves weekly.

I think the herbal oils I love to use on my scalp are definitely antifungal and antimicrobial cuz I have never ever had an odor come from not washing. Never. My DF is always smelling my hair and running his hands through it so if it smelled I'm sure he would say so!

:yep:
I use Hibiclens to clean all of my hair tools including what I use to cut my husband's hair. Scarves and bonnets (I have several) get washed weekly.