Ladies who retain length through low mani styles

spellinto

I am challenging myself not to wear buns this stretch (I think they're the cause behind my split ends), so here are some questions for ladies who use braidouts, twistouts, roller/flexi rod sets, etc. to retain length...preferably those who do not use heat or weaves/wigs/extensions also (or use either sparingly). I'd like to hear from relaxed ladies, but naturals can also chime in :yep:

What is your current length?
What styles do you wear to retain length?
How many days a week do you wear these styles?
How do you protect your ends during the extreme weather in the winter and summer months?
If you ever wear your hair up, how do you wear it?
How often do you detangle, moisturize, wash, etc.?
Have you retained a lot of length this way? Moreso than protective styling?

ETA: I realize there's a thread similar to this but it was difficult to find the answers to these exact questions...

Last edited:

BeautyBlvd

Beauty Blvd.
I just have a question ... why do you think the buns caused the split ends? I use wear my hair in a bun all the time and never had an issue so I'm curious.

spellinto

I just have a question ... why do you think the buns caused the split ends? I use wear my hair in a bun all the time and never had an issue so I'm curious.

I typically bun 90-95% of the time. When I take down my buns, my ends look dented (even in mildly loose ones). I think overtime the buns just wore down my ends and made them split. It's just a guess though, because I think I'm pretty attentive and diligent with my hair otherwise...

KittyMeowMeow

I typically bun 90-95% of the time. When I take down my buns, my ends look dented (even in mildly loose ones). I think overtime the buns just wore down my ends and made them split. It's just a guess though, because I think I'm pretty attentive and diligent with my hair otherwise...

I wonder if this is caused by the types of tools, the type of bun, or the way your ends are situated in the bun? Bobby pins & buns w/ ponytail holders (esp if ends are caught in the bun) have been breakage causers for me. I use hairpins which don't cause friction.

I've never done a sock bun, but I could see how it (and some other buns) could lead to bent or bad ends, especially if the sock isn't silky material or if the ends go in bent.

Also, moisturizing my ends if needed before bunning, not holding my hair by the ends to twist the bun into place, and smoothing my ends and tucking them inside of the bun have been helpful.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I am challenging myself not to wear buns this stretch (I think they're the cause behind my split ends), so here are some questions for ladies who use braidouts, twistouts, roller/flexi rod sets, etc. to retain length...preferably those who do not use heat or weaves/wigs/extensions also (or use either sparingly). I'd like to hear from relaxed ladies, but naturals can also chime in :yep:

What is your current length?
What styles do you wear to retain length?
How many days a week do you wear these styles?
How do you protect your ends during the extreme weather in the winter and summer months?
If you ever wear your hair up, how do you wear it?
How often do you detangle, moisturize, wash, etc.?
Have you retained a lot of length this way? Moreso than protective styling?

ETA: I realize there's a thread similar to this but it was difficult to find the answers to these exact questions...

*I don't know my current length, since I haven't LC since May, but if I have to guess Im probably BSB.

*I wear pinned up braidouts 98% of the time. I either pin the back up & wear the front out or I'll twist the front & pin the back up. I wear these styles until my next wash. I DC once a week & cowash once a week (thats a total of 2xs a week). I don't M&S in between washes in order to keep the style & keep it low mani. However, if I wear my braidout out, I M&S more often. Keeping it pinned up, it isn't necessary for ME to M&S everyday.

*my hair is protected b/c it's pinned, but if the weather is really crazy, I'll wear a bonnet & cover with a hat (which I'm doing now:))

*I think I retain an average amount of hair. I started my HJ in 2012, & I was ear length in the front & shaved in the back. 2014, will be my 2yr anniversary since starting my HJ.

You must be doing something right b/c ur hair is gorg!