Ladies who use shea butter -- does yours smell?

ericajoy

Ladies who use shea butter -- please help me with this: I use a shea butter mix (with coconut, jojoba, and rosemary essential oil) as a sealer every other night or so. I love how it keeps my hair soft, but my hair starts to smell bad a day or so after I use it.

It's like the shea butter goes 'sour' or something in my hair. I keep everything in the refrigerator but I'm using refined shea butter (the only thing they had at my whole foods), and I wonder if it goes bad faster than unrefined? Do any of you experience a sour smell with your shea butter use?

Also, related -- does anyone use another type of butter as a base for hair butters (mango, coconut, etc.)? Please share if you do.

Thank you all! :drunk:

song_of_serenity

I use shea butter with nothing else and no, it doesn't smell beyond that "shea butter" smell. lol. Could it be the coconut oil? Do you go to bed with damp hair?

Chameleonchick

I'm not sure but if it is rancid just throw it out. Now the real Shea butter smell is so yummy to me. I don't think I have used refined Shea butter so I couldn't tell you how it smells anyway.

faithVA

None of those items should go bad quickly even if not refrigerated. I keep all of my oils and butters on by bathroom shelf. And I know I've had my butters for at least a year.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
There shouldn't be a sour smell at all... Personally, I would throw the mix away and make another with unrefined shea butter.