Ladies with APL or longer: I need ADVICE

FAMUDva

I'm working toward a HEALTHIER looking head of long hair :)

Hi LHCF Sisters!

I am posting today primairly for ideas and help to getting that longer look by encouraging the growth of my sides and nape. What did you ladies do to get that stimulated.

I must say that my hair is COMPLETELY healthy right now, however, my sides are grazing shoulder length and my nape (first 1-2 inches back in the "kitchen" if you were to part the scalp) is just past shoulder length. The rest of my hair is a little past APL. After seeing other long haired ladies IRL, I've noticed that their measured length is not much longer than my hair, but it appears to be that way because their hair on the sides and possibly nape is closer to the longest parts of their hair. (hope I'm making sense)

Basically, I'm thinking if I can get my sides to catch up with the back and of course get my nape to thicken up my hair would appear as long as it really is. For pics of my current hair length, there is a link to a previous thread in my siggy.

Y'all please chime in and let me know what y'all have done.

Thanks in advance!

Wishin4BSL

I actually have a nape challenge in my fotki that I recently updated. I don't have advice about the sides, but with the nape, I avoided combing mine unless my hair was wet with conditioner in it, and I also moisturized it separately (grammar?) from the rest of my hair (if that makes sense...). HTH!:drunk:

ETA: That's my nape now in my avatar

FAMUDva

I actually have a nape challenge in my fotki that I recently updated. I don't have advice about the sides, but with the nape, I avoided combing mine unless my hair was wet with conditioner in it, and I also moisturized it separately (grammar?) from the rest of my hair (if that makes sense...). HTH!:drunk:

ETA: That's my nape now in my avatar

WOW! That's great progress! I will take that into consideration and start moisterizing it seperately immediately. How do you not "comb" the nape of your hair except when wet? I don't really comb my hair often, but when I do, I'm not sure I understand how you skip the back without tangles. Plus I think my ponytails/buns have a little to do with it. I"m trying to do roller sets more often.

prospurr4

Now, my nape and sides are about the same length as the rest of my hair, but my nape used to be very short from breakage. Here's what helped me:

1) Moisturize two times per day
2) Limit manipulation as much as possible, ie limit combing or brushing, avoid tight or low ponytails, etc.
3) Avoid direct heat
4) Relax nape and hairline last
5) Protect nape from friction which causes dryness and breakage, ie turtleneck sweaters, collars on wool coats or tops with high collars, etc.

Basically, as long as I keep these areas moisturized and limit manipulation, they grow along with the rest of my hair.

I hope this helps.

ETA: I almost forgot...I wear my satin bonnet inside out, so that the elastic doesn't rub against my nape and hairline.

Last edited:

Wishin4BSL

WOW! That's great progress! I will take that into consideration and start moisterizing it seperately immediately. How do you not "comb" the nape of your hair except when wet? I don't really comb my hair often, but when I do, I'm not sure I understand how you skip the back without tangles. Plus I think my ponytails/buns have a little to do with it. I"m trying to do roller sets more often.

Roller sets also cut down on manipulation. When I comb my hair, I hold my head back and gently comb it out, then go underneath and gently comb the nape. I just make sure to be VERY gentle in the back. Oh, and when I moisturize mine separately, I make sure that I don't use a comb to separate it. I just use my fingers to gently pull that area away from the rest.

VeryBecoming

Devil's Avocado
I realized this too. My hair has grown but it just didn't look as long because the sides are still up around my chin, while the back is APL. I don't really know what to do yet...

FAMUDva

It's not a key per se, but prolonged sleeping on the nape or edges can retard growth or cause breakage.

Tying a hair scarf to tight in addition to what all the other ladies have suggested

I sleep in a loose bonnet, so not really a scarf.

How do you avoid sleeping on your sides and your nape?

blazingthru

I realized this too. My hair has grown but it just didn't look as long because the sides are still up around my chin, while the back is APL. I don't really know what to do yet...
I get the feeling that this is how its going to be for me. My back is growing and growing and my sides are slowing moving along. What a pain it is. I keep trying to think of ways to get my sides to try and catch up so that I look like I finally have hair on my head:perplexed.