Ladies with relaxed hair...

taz007

I am relaxed and APL. I wash every week and incorporate ceramides and steaming into my regime.

I use Joico, Phyto and Biolage CeraRepair products.

Welcome!!!

Polyesterdiva

My retention definitely increase when I switched from No lye to professionally applied Lye relaxers. Aside from that, perfecting no heat styling (twist outs, braid outs, air drying) and keeping my moisture/protein on point (emergencee for protein, Bumble and Bumble Super Rich con for moisture).

Oh! And staying away from scissor happy stylists, though that goes for natural and relaxed sisters both. TRIM YOU OWN HAIR, or watch whoever is trimming it WHILE they trim it, with a hand mirror. lol

sunnieb

Welcome!

What do you do to take care of your tresses?

Shampoo/dc 2x weekly; co-wash 2-3x weekly; moisturize as needed; airdry always; only allow direct heat with relaxer touch ups; relaxer touch ups every 12 weeks. I didn't trim at all for 2009. For 2010, I will trim/dust every 4 months.

What length is your hair now, and what is your goal?

Currently my hair is between APL and BSL. My goal is tailbone.

What do you to in order to improve retention?

No direct heat, protective styles, keep ends moisturized at all times

I am an extremely happy woman with my layered BSL relaxed hair, it is incredibly healthy for being relaxed and it is very strong and moisturized. How about you?

Yes, my hair is finally staying moisturized all day. In the beginning of my HHJ, my hair was so dry and brittle. I would moisturize daily, but it still felt dry. After the first month, I noticed it staying moisturized longer. Now I don't have to moisturize twice daily. I only do it when needed.

Any tips you'd like to share?

Don't jump on any bandwagons right away!

If a product/technique doesn't work for you the first time, STOP! I don't care who it works for. Listen to your hair.

Growing your hair will take time. Be patient.

Also, check out the relaxed/texlaxed support thread here:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=416276

Good Luck!

NYAmicas

Seeker
Relaxed head checking in...

I'm about BSL right now with a few strands reaching MBL-something I never thought I'd see.

I'm a DIY and I found that co-washing, low-manipulation, not trimming all the daggone time, and making sure you wash out all the neutralizer <leads to a lot of breakage> when you do relax help a ton.

kami11213

Another relaxed head checking in...

What do you do to take care of your tresses? Try to keep it simple as much as possible helps to lessen breakage. Minimizing heat, washing and DC weekly, regular protein treatments, moisturizing nightly, stretching relaxers (3-6 mo), rollersetting, air drying at least twice a month,

What length is your hair now, and what is your goal? I started w/ damaged SL and currently I'm touching WL, my goal is full WL...

What do you to in order to improve retention? Have to repeat keeping it simple. When I'm protective styling I comb 1x per week, when it's straight I may comb 3-4x in a week. Figure out what your hair likes and stick w/it...

Any tips you'd like to share? Try not to jump on bandwagons, everything doesn't work for everyone, keep a hair journal to track your progress, minimizing heat has cut down on a lot of splits, which reduces the amoutn of times of I have to trim, deep conditionin on dry hair gives me amazing bounce and shine :grin:, pin curl at night instead of wrapping reduces breakage, scalp massages not only feel great but stimulates growth...

simplyconfident

Shampoo every 7-12 days alternating between a sulfate free and sulfate shampoo to help w/ buildup. Cowash in between and/or as needed w/ either cheapie conditioner or HairOne. DC with every wash right now I'm in love w/ Aubrey Organics. I've been slacking on my protein but should be using it every other wash (I like Aphogee 2 min).
Use moisturizing leave in w/ every wash (shescentit coco creme and shescentit moisture mist). Air dry the majority of the time. Moisturize daily w/ Jane Carter Nourish and Shine.
Wear rollerset or airdried bun 80% & flat iron/wear wrap wrap 20% of the time. I still experiement w/ different products and growth aids, but when I find something my hair loves I stick to it pretty much. I also take my vitamins all the time.

I started at neck length. I'm currently 1 inch from full APL. My goal is BSB/BSL which I plan to achieve in 2011.

Protective styling and low manipulation. When I first started my journey I wore a phony bun for 10 weeks straight which kept my ends in tack. Currently my hair is too long and thick to wear my phony bun anymore (I tried again today and it's a no go). I've learned that my hair grows, even though not very fast, it still grows. In order for me to reap my rewards of longer hair I have to keep the scissor far far away. Last year I managed w/ only 4 trims, which was a first. However, this year I've already fell victim to 2 trims=cuts by a stylist I should have never had in my head. I would have been APL by now. Set goals to keep your trims to a minimum and then you force yourself to practice healthy hair practices to make it happen.

Like many others have said, leave the bandwagons alone. Like I said before, it's nothing wrong w/ trying new things/products. However, everything is not for everyone. Example, I could never do frequent cowashes becasue it just dosn't fit into my lifestyle. However, you do have to find products that work for you. I personally don't belive in using something that dosen't work just becasue. Also, keep a journal. I've kept one since 2008 and still look back on what worked then for refrence.

PDub

I'm happily relaxed!!

No heat, relax every 16 weeks, low manipulation, using Phyto Relaxer, DC regularly, co-washing, and being patient!!!

My hair is a little past SL and my goal is full APL

I've found that forgoing heat has tremendous benefits. Along with the stretching, my hair has gotten very, very thick. That's why my goal is APL!! I don't think I could handle more hair than that!!

My tip for anyone, relaxed or natural, is to become a DIY-er! I've never had damaged hair but I always had short hair because I let scissor happy stylists cut off all my progress. It's very liberating to be able to do your own hair and not have to worry about sitting in a salon all day or having a stylist tell you things about your hair that you know aren't true.

imaccami

I'm relaxed, I think the most important thing is to do your own relaxers and to rinse it out well and be careful with protein.

skipper

Ladies with relaxed hair, what do you do to take care of your tresses?
my regime is pretty simple wash 1-2x a week dc for like 30mins rinse rollerset. moisturize and sleep in bun at night and use a satin bonnet and pillow case.

when i dont have time to rollerset i section my hair and blow it out with a round brush

my hair is relaxed bsl when i first joined lhcf my hair was stuck at shoulder length and had been there all of my life.

no flat ironing!! once you get really good at rollersetting/blowdrying your hair has so much more movement you wont even want to use it

wear your hair up and protect your ends

LaFemmeNaturelle

Hello Ladies, I should probably preface what I will ask by saying that I am extremely new to posting on LHCF, but have been observing for a while. What I have noticed, not that there is anything wrong with it, is that there are a lot more ladies with natural hair than I have seen with relaxed hair. I have tried natural hair, it was a phase I went though, and it wasn't for me. There is a wealth of knowledge here for going natural, but that makes it a little hard to try to find techniques regarding relaxed hair and to learn from other ladies who choose to relax their texture. That said:

Ladies with relaxed hair, what do you do to take care of your tresses? What length is your hair now, and what is your goal? What do you to in order to improve retention? I have seen a lot of people in the forum say that relaxing their hair caused them to experience breakage and ultimately went for the BC, but as for me, I am an extremely happy woman with my layered BSL relaxed hair, it is incredibly healthy for being relaxed and it is very strong and moisturized. How about you? Any tips you'd like to share?

I have seen very, very lovely hair pictures here but it's never quite clear if the straight hair is relaxed or natural and straightened.

Gonna try to make this quick because I have to run to class

I'm relaxed (currently transitioning but my relaxing experience has been good). I take care of my hair by keeping it moisturized (for me that's co-washing multiple times a week) and low manipulation and staying away from heat!

My hair is currently bsl or a bit longer not sure because I have alot of ng, my goal is ....hl:rolleyes:...anywho, to improve retention, I try to stay out of my hair and protective style on weekdays.

My only tip is to find what works and what doesn't work for you. For me, using alot of heat will cause me to have a setback but that may not be your case. Yours may be that you MUST moisturize and seal everyday or you MUST do weekly protein treatments. Hair care is not one size fits all and there will be a lot of trial and error with products and techniques. HTH gotta run!

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I'm subscribing to this thread. :yep:

I'm relaxed, and my hair is APL at the moment.
The only real time that I spend on my hair is on the weekends. I start by using a light to medium protein reconstructor for 10-15 minutes. Then I use a rinse-out conditioner and sulfate free shampoo to wash my hair and scalp with the CWC method. After that, I DC with steam and a moisturizing deep conditioner (Nexxus Humectress is my favorite) for 45 minutes. I let my hair cool off. Then I rinse out the conditioner with lukewarm water, and follow with Porosity Control for about 30 seconds. I rinse out the PC with cold water. Lastly, I rollerset. If I'm 10 weeks post or more, I lightly iron my roots on about 300 F.

During the week, I don't do really anything.
I just put a little moisturizer in the night, put on a plastic bag, and then tie my scarf. In the morning, I take off the bag, seal my hair with a butter or oil, and brush it up in a bun. When I remember to, I rub JBCO into my edges and nape.

The goals that I currently have for myself are:
BSL by December 2010
MBL by June 2011
WL by December 2011
HL by May 2012 (This one is the only one that I doubt is going to be plausible, but it's my graduation date, so I'm putting it)
And all pre-LHCF hair GONE by December 2013. :yay:

Britt

Ladies with relaxed hair, what do you do to take care of your tresses?

I wash and deep condition my hair often ... Once a week, maybe twice a week. I just find deep conditioning to be very important and is the core of healthy relaxed hair. I also use conditioners that agree w/ my hair. My hair does not like conditioners that are cone heavy. I use a protein treatment as needed.. I can use Nexuss Emergencee as often as I'd like, but I always follow up a moisturizing conditioner under the dryer afterwards. I find that this combo leaves my hair very pliable and strong. I also think relaxer stretching def helps improve the integrity of your hair b/c your hair is exposed chemicals less frequently.

My hair is shoulder length, but that is b/c I got it cut into a bob 4th of July last summer. I trim every other relaxer. I rarely go to the hairdreser and usually go for a relaxer and trim, I may go and get a blowout occassionally if I want to wear my hair down. My goal is full hair that is a bit below brastrap length. I'm more into fullness/thickness than I am length.

Hummm... not to sure about that as I don't have breakage issues, I do however shed a lot when I shampoo :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:. I can't figure this out for the life of me. I also know this is a big cause of why my hair doesn't retain it's thickness b/c when I wet my hair I loose a good amount, it sometimes clumps. The last wash I did, I used Alaffia natural poo and did 2x lathers and I realized I didn't loose as much hair as I normally do.

RoseTintedCheeks

Currently: layered APL
My ultimate goal is full MBL, but I might go longer.

I use more protein than moisture, and my hair loves it. Aphogee 2 Minute, Silicon Mix, and nutress protein pak are in heavy rotation. I cowash every 2 days and clarify every 2 weeks. My hair has low porosity. I relax 3-4 times a year with either DE Sensitive Scalp or Organic Root Stimulator and am wearing a bun 80% of the time.

I might go natural one day, but I love being relaxed.