Lady Naturals I Need Some Products Advice

HotCoCoGurl130

Now that I am natural
I need some product advice. I know the shea butter is good for moisture and I ordered some off the internet today so that covers moisture. But what can I use to keep my hair curly when its dry. After I washed my hair I had little ringlets of hair but they get alittle frizzy when my hair drys.What can I use to keep that wet look curl after my hair drys. Thanx in advance.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Here's a tip from Babyblue. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet, but I will.

[ QUOTE ]
For 4a/b naturals seeking curl definition

For those who are interested:
I know some people recommend Black and Sassy Creamy Set to help with curl definition. I tried it a month ago by itself and all I got was crispy frizzy hair. I was so ready to trash it but I held on to it hoping it would have some future use. Well today I finally got the nerve to give it a second chance. This time I experimented by creating a 50/50 mixture of creamy set together with Allways natural leave in oil moisturizer mixing it together in my hands and applying it by smoothing and finger combing it in to wet hair. Much to my surprise after about a half hour I got soft defined curls with no frizz or excessive shrinkage, which shocked me, because I thought it wouldn’t work. So I’m attributing this to mixing the Creamy Set with a creamy leave in conditioner together and applying the mix to soaking wet hair rather than layering each product separately which just gave me stiff frizzy coils in the past. By doing this I guess the conditioner cuts down on some of the stiffness the creamy set causes and also softens the curl pattern while still giving hold to the hair.

This I find is a cheaper alternative to more expensive curl defining products like BBD Glass (which I wanted so badly but I don’t think I need anymore) because in my recipe each product I used costs like 2.99 each and if you mix both containers together you get a whole lot of product. Next time I’ll experiment mixing the creamy set with my Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Cream and see if I get the same results
Just thought I’d share.

[/ QUOTE ]

After I have finished washing my hair I will let some of the water remain in it. I then put moisturizer on, and work it through. After that I use fantasia IC hair polisher gel and work it through.

The key is to use the moisturizer first so that the gel will dry and give your hair a soft hold. After you have applied your styling products you should leave you hair alone while it dries, b/c manipulating it can also cause frizz.

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
TransitioningK said:
After I have finished washing my hair I will let some of the water remain in it. I then put moisturizer on, and work it through. After that I use fantasia IC hair polisher gel and work it through.

The key is to use the moisturizer first so that the gel will dry and give your hair a soft hold. After you have applied your styling products you should leave you hair alone while it dries, b/c manipulating it can also cause frizz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep fantasia Ic hair polisher gel!!! oooooooor Mango Butter. Mango Butter holds my curls really well, and it actually gets a little bit harder than the gel. I tend get really awesome curl definition after i deep condition for some reason. But if i go a day or two with out co washes, I tend to get the frizzies.

NGC

[ QUOTE ]
TransitioningK said:

[/ QUOTE ]
This is basically what I do.

Leave-Ins that I like are:
ABBA Nourishing Leave-In
Giovanni Leave-In
Aveda Leave-In

Gels that I like:
Fantasia ICE Pomade
Fantasia Styling Gel
Proclaim Styling Gel

More expensive product combos:
BBD Glass and BBD Stretch
Bubble Up Styling Gel with any leave-in

HTH

itismehmmkay

Hey girl.....congrats on the big chop!!

As far as products, this is what I do:

-Wash every morning with CON only
(I don't have time to shampoo, then condition. Also, CON does everything for me in one step).

-Towel dry

-Apply a bunch of SoftTouch grease by Ultrasheen only.
(This is the only grease that stayes on my hair and conditions it for real. I can only find it at Walmart.)

-Apply a handful of Rave Shaping mousse.
(This is the cheap mousse with the teal color cap. I can only use the Shaping kind; the others do nothing for me.)

-Let air-dry for a bit.

-Pick/Shape hair before I leave. (Alot of times my hair is still wet.)

Now, keep in mind that I've been natural before and I've experimented with toooons of products. So far, this is the best method for me and it's pretty inexpensive (CON, SoftTouch grease, and Rave mousse are each only about 2 bucks.)

Also, I've noticed that my hair is much softer and defined if I rinse my hair at night, apply only grease, and let air-dry under a scarf that I usually sleep in. (I also started spraying a bit of SURGE on my hair/scalp at night; it hardened my hair a bit during the day).

I say try it! The worst thing I did the first time I was natural was underestimate the benefits of grease. Oh, the mousse only works for me if I apply it after the grease.

P.S. - I never have tangles!!! (knocking on wood)

HotCoCoGurl130

Oh WOW, these are some great tips ladies. Right now my hair is very frizzy and puffy so I will go right to the bss tomorrow and get some products.

I cant wait to experiment.

HotCoCoGurl130

Another reason why I love you ladies is b/c you give me a reason to go to the bss and buy more products becuase with my new hair I HAVE to. :)

nbcgurl22

I find that it is best to stick to moisturizing products and shape defining products. I have been using a leave in and Elasta QP feels like silk. Sometimes I mix the leave in and the feels like silk in my hair or sometimes I apply them separately. The key for my hair is to moisturize first starting with a conditioner wash then seal in the moisture with a good creamy leave in and then apply my holding agent (gel, mousse, etc.)
I cannot use heavy products in my hair such as shea butter or any of those butters because they cause too much product build up and they weigh my hair down - not to forget that they block the moisture from my hair.

HTH

HotCoCoGurl130

ok, ladies i have just returned from the bss. i purchased black and sassy creamy set and it smells like bananas so its good so far, i bought ice pomade by fantasia and also hair polish styling gel by fantasia. i also wanted elasta qp feels like silk but they did not have it. so i will try out these three and see what happens.