Last Saturday's Article from the Independent: "Natural hair" movement gains followers

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...llowers-among-afroamerican-women-2296258.html

"Natural hair" movement gains followers among Afro-American women

A New York Times article published this week describes how more and more women with Afro-textured hair are flocking to YouTube channels and product sites that support "going natural," growing hair out and stopping chemical treatments.
The movement, which was previously detailed in Chris Rock's documentary Good Hair and which led to last month's World Natural Hair Health and Beauty Show in Atlanta drawing 50,000 visitors this year (up from 8,000 in 2006), has entered the mainstream, writes author Jamila Bey, but it isn't the most unproblematic of beauty trends.
"Many women with Afro-textured hair have not seen it in its unadulterated state since childhood. And even some who are acquainted with the texture of their untreated tresses are not comfortable styling their hair in ways they believe are fashionable and appropriate for them. Figuring out which of the countless hair-care tools and products on the market might work can make the undertaking even more overwhelming."
Enter a new generation of beauty bloggers who are taking to social media in addressing "natural hair": Nikki Mae aka Natural Chica, for instance, is raking in thousands of YouTube views for her hair tutorials that aim to help with getting used to the new texture and look.
Kim Love, who also self-published a book called Grow It (entering the top ten best-selling books on Amazon), left her management consulting career to explain tools and accessories in videos - one tutorial on how to make hair conditioner with castor oil and aloe vera juice got about a million hits, Bey writes - and to sell them through her online store, LuvNaturals.com.
But psychotherapist Alicia Nicole Walton knows that "going natural" is about far more than products, explaining to the NYT that Afro-textured hair is often subject to discussions on "self-esteem and body image," which she regularly prompts on her site CurlyNikki.com,
Walton has also created a free phone app that helps with shopping for the right products.

How do you think this article compares to the New York Time's article?

EssenceOfBeauty

Re: Last Saturday's Article from the Independent: "Natural hair" movement gains follo

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...llowers-among-afroamerican-women-2296258.html

"Natural hair" movement gains followers among Afro-American women

A New York Times article published this week describes how more and more women with Afro-textured hair are flocking to YouTube channels and product sites that support "going natural," growing hair out and stopping chemical treatments.
The movement, which was previously detailed in Chris Rock's documentary Good Hair and which led to last month's World Natural Hair Health and Beauty Show in Atlanta drawing 50,000 visitors this year (up from 8,000 in 2006), has entered the mainstream, writes author Jamila Bey, but it isn't the most unproblematic of beauty trends.
"Many women with Afro-textured hair have not seen it in its unadulterated state since childhood. And even some who are acquainted with the texture of their untreated tresses are not comfortable styling their hair in ways they believe are fashionable and appropriate for them. Figuring out which of the countless hair-care tools and products on the market might work can make the undertaking even more overwhelming."
Enter a new generation of beauty bloggers who are taking to social media in addressing "natural hair": Nikki Mae aka Natural Chica, for instance, is raking in thousands of YouTube views for her hair tutorials that aim to help with getting used to the new texture and look.
Kim Love, who also self-published a book called Grow It (entering the top ten best-selling books on Amazon), left her management consulting career to explain tools and accessories in videos - one tutorial on how to make hair conditioner with castor oil and aloe vera juice got about a million hits, Bey writes - and to sell them through her online store, LuvNaturals.com.
But psychotherapist Alicia Nicole Walton knows that "going natural" is about far more than products, explaining to the NYT that Afro-textured hair is often subject to discussions on "self-esteem and body image," which she regularly prompts on her site CurlyNikki.com,
Walton has also created a free phone app that helps with shopping for the right products.

How do you think this article compares to the New York Time's article?

Do they check their sources? The article is a poor reproduction of the NYT article

Last edited:

Babylilac

Re: Last Saturday's Article from the Independent: "Natural hair" movement gains follo

^^^ I was about to say the same thing

Last edited:

Mizz Diamonds

I think the comments on the website pretty much sum it up for me

afrochique

Isn't 'Grow It' by Chicoro?

Avaya

Did I watch a different movie? The mockumentary Good Hair was not in any way, shape, or form about a "natural hair movement."

Kimmay wishes she wrote Grow It! Chaching!

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•

Awwe they made several mistakes

manter26

The only thing they got right was using "Afro-American" as opposed to "African-American."

Cherokee-n-Black

Did I watch a different movie? The mockumentary Good Hair was not in any way, shape, or form about a "natural hair movement."

Thank you! But the NYT article seemed to think the same thing (clearly they had never seen the movie). Good hair was basically a movie about perms and weaves.

jamaica68

I think it's funny that Chris Rock is getting credit for the natural hair movement, wth. Women were going natural long before Chris Rock had kids.:perplexed

nikolite

^^^And as a natural, I thought his movie actually did us a disservice. The natural girl in his movie was pretty much dogged out by the other girls and he barely focused on natural hair. Its a shame a lot of white people view his comedy as an introduction to our hair and our culture.

HauteHippie

Thank you! But the NYT article seemed to think the same thing (clearly they had never seen the movie). Good hair was basically a movie about perms and weaves.

Yup! And he was late on everything. Those girls were, of course, handpicked and I wasn't impressed nor could I relate to them.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

Incognitus

The only thing they got right was using "Afro-American" as opposed to "African-American."

Is this the new "acceptable" term now (serious question)? Personally I don't like either. I prefer to be considered American....or even simply, 'black'. Hey, maybe it's just me.

manter26

Is this the new "acceptable" term now (serious question)? Personally I don't like either. I prefer to be considered American....or even simply, 'black'. Hey, maybe it's just me.

A lot of us on this board aren't even American. I'm from the UK but lived in the US most of my life. I don't consider myself American, per se. But Afro-American is more inclusive than African-American. Caribbeans and Africans are going natural too. Black covers most of us, Latina, West Indian, African, AA...that's probably the best term to use (but may still exclude multi-racial with afro-textured hair).