Latest wisdom from a stylist

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
The last time I went to a beautician (March 09) for my touch up, she raked through my hair while wet with a fine tooth comb and I pulled away from her and asked her to please not do that because of the possibility of breakage.. Her reply "I've been doing this for a long time.. you are supposed to lose 200 to up to 500 strands of hair a day".. :perplexed

wow! i can only see that kind of shedding as normal if someone is going through chemo!

Lucky's Mom

I bit the bullet and went to visit a stylist recently

After all, I cannot see the back of my head and it would be nice to have a professional relaxer every once in a while.

What'd I do that for?:rolleyes:

Here are the pearls of wisdom, I'm sure you can't wait to change your regimens accordingly:

1. Never use anything from the kitchen on your hair:lachen:
  2. DON'T wash more than once a week - every two weeks is better:nono:
  3. DON'T cowash at all because that causes "the buildup"
After ripping a fine toothed comb through my hair, she told me I was "shedding" (most of these hairs were from the root) and showed me where "20%" of my hair is broken off at the line of demarcation. Even if that were true, ok, style my 80%, and I expect a 20% discount.

She threw in a couple of "porosity this" and "elasticity that" and "your hair needs time to build up the vitamins" Then she told me I need to go down to 1 inch of hair (I am currently at full SL). As she was talking, I was picturing her test grades in hair school. :giggle:

Whoo! Back to DIY!

Have you ever gotten any useless advice from a stylist?

I will be sure to stop Number 1 right away.........:look: :giggle:

Nubenap22

lol wow yes our miseducation/ misfortune runs deep......I wish there was a school to teach stylist to do natural hair only. Im afraid to find someone here to progressively slide me into a BC.....(erasing old beauticians # from phone)....My hair was thin with a relaxer and I was told to get a relaxer every 4 weeks :perplexed which made it thinner and shed hell of a lot....I finally said enough!!!!

DivaD04

Why are so many stylists bad at their jobs? I thought school was supposed to get rid of the myths.

it does....you just have folks who just dismiss the information. from the books your taught all the baseline info but folks don't apply it. your taught from the books and actually working on the floor. book knowledge is generally dismiss most times on the floor b/c "there's not enough time to apply between clients" so folks get caught up doing things their way. so ripping a comb through someone's hair while getting a relaxer is not part of the procedure.....i can quickly use my fingers unlike alot of stylist.

DarkAngell

UGH! They just don't know anything do they?!

I'm so afraid of beauticians. I only go for a trim once a year or a formal up-do once every blue moon. Other then that? Don't style it, wash it, blow dry it, don't put any of your concoctions in it, matter of fact....don't even breath on it. The girl i go to is VERY good at cutting hair but even she knows.... don't bother me with you're "advice", just cut it and send me on my way.And so help me if you take more then a 1/4 of an inch of my hair you WILL be wearing those scissors up you ***. I watch her like a hawk & she knows it, i can see it makes her super nervous but oh well...it keeps her on point every time.

The last time I went to a beautician (March 09) for my touch up, she raked through my hair while wet with a fine tooth comb and I pulled away from her and asked her to please not do that because of the possibility of breakage.. Her reply "I've been doing this for a long time.. you are supposed to lose 200 to up to 500 strands of hair a day".. :perplexed

Other stuff she had said.. (thank God for my knowledge):
"Our hair does not need protein"
"You use henna?.. that henna will melt your hair right off"
"With your hair type you have to relax every 5-6 weeks"

What was the condition of her hair?

ladylibra

it does....you just have folks who just dismiss the information. from the books your taught all the baseline info but folks don't apply it. your taught from the books and actually working on the floor. book knowledge is generally dismiss most times on the floor b/c "there's not enough time to apply between clients" so folks get caught up doing things their way. so ripping a comb through someone's hair while getting a relaxer is not part of the procedure.....i can quickly use my fingers unlike alot of stylist.

Exactly what I was going to say. :yep: When I go to cosmetology school, I will pick up some valuable information, but I'm certainly not going to forget what I learned here either. I'll give the textbook answer to get a good grade in the class, but it doesn't mean I'll take it to heart as the one and only truth.

Some of these "bad" stylists are doing the same thing. The book says to apply a relaxer to new growth only for example... but they were brought up to do it on all the hair, every time. So when they get licensed and in a shop... they do it their way.

moriahar

... she raked through my hair while wet with a fine tooth comb and I pulled away from her and asked her to please not do that because of the possibility of breakage.. Her reply "I've been doing this for a long time.. you are supposed to lose 200 to up to 500 strands of hair a day".. :perplexed

This is wrong on SO MANY LEVELS!
200-500 is a WHOLE lot of hair to loose. I guess she didn't get the memo that 100 a day is too much!
Secondly, BREAKAGE and SHEDDING are two entirely different things!
Its ok to shed some. BUT is she inferring that its ok/normal to break 200 hairs daily!!!?!?? :wallbash: SHE'S A QUACK!!!

When I was a shop regular, the information that my stylist gave was for the most part on point. She told me not to relax every 6 weeks because I didn't need too as my ng was still managible. I think we stretched about 10 or 12 weeks. Now I see I can go MUCH longer: I'll be 21 weeks this coming Sunday!!! When I asked for product suggestions she suggested both high and low end products. Her fav shampoo was CON. My ends stayed healthy for the most part (all but my nape which was and still to this day is being rubbed off by my shirt collars). In the year that I visited her, she only pulled out her sissors 3 times and 2 of those times were only dustings.