.::Lead Hair? or Split End?::.

D.Lisha

So last night, as I was moisturizing and sealing my tresses, I noticed a few strands of hair that reached further down my chest than usual. I was excited and alittle weary at the same time (in fear that it might be a raggedy split end!).
Below are pics I took of the strands. Ladies I want your opinions (sp?)
Is this a lead hair? Or a raggedy End?
Would you cut it? Or Leave it?

Since I'm due for a relaxer on tomorrow, I figured this would be a best time to determine if it is to go or stay, so....yea...help me out ladies!

&& This is me at 12 weeks post :yep:
Idk what it is...but my left and right sides DO NOT grow at the same time...it's so annoyin!
Refer to my previous Thread to see what I'm talking about

And These are the results of my relaxer on yesterday,
My mommy applied the relaxer and dusted my ends for me:
I'm seriously considering clipping off the "extra long" section, so that it can grow with the rest of my hair.......

Last edited:

nikkigill

I would trim it to the length of the next few longest hairs. That hair might end up becoming more damage while you wait for the other hair to catch up with it.

Karmin

♡♥ღ
I would need to see what your hair looks like once you relax. All the new growth and shrinkage can make your ends look crazy, when in reality everything is cool.

Kirei

Yeah I would just relax like usual and then see if the ends still look wonky.

But, if they aren't causing SSK then I would leave them b/c they seem too long to be split ends to me.

D.Lisha

I would need to see what your hair looks like once you relax. All the new growth and shrinkage can make your ends look crazy, when in reality everything is cool.

Karmine: I'd have to agree. I'm secretly hoping that it falls right in place with the rest of my hairs after everything is relaxed :pray:.
I will definitely update this thread with my relaxing pics on tomorrow for a final verdict.
*anxious* :grin:

D.Lisha

Yeah I would just relax like usual and then see if the ends still look wonky.

But, if they aren't causing SSK then I would leave them b/c they seem too long to be split ends to me.

And this is exactly what I was thinking when I first saw it last night. Seems like it literally came outta no where, which freaked me out alittle. :look:

Aireen

Karmine: I'd have to agree. I'm secretly hoping that it falls right in place with the rest of my hairs after everything is relaxed :pray:.
I will definitely update this thread with my relaxing pics on tomorrow for a final verdict.
*anxious* :grin:

D.Lisha, okay girl, it's tomorrow! Where them pics?! :drunk: :lick:

Nonie

D.Lisha I'm not sure what "too long to be split ends means". A split could be less than 1/4 inch or it could be what's left behind after a split tears away at one inch, give or take.

If this split below tears away a little higher up than where the ripping is currently stopped, then the split you end up with will be much greater than the tiny Y we see at the top of the image.

I have cut off 2 inches of thin ends because my hair was torn up to just below the 2 inches. So by cutting off two inches I ensured a complete strand.

The only way I know to tell whether a hair is split is not if it forks out but if it's thinner than it is higher up the strand. I'm sorry but lead hairs are just wishful thinking IMO. No hair strands shoot off at supersonic growth rates no matter how much you hear that hairs are at different growth rates. Not to the point of standing out like people show (like 2 inches ahead of the rest). What makes the whole thing idea just absurd is how come this wasn't the case throughout the hair growth journey--like at TWA stage. Why is it only old hai seems to have lead hairs? I can bet my bottom dollar if you magnify that lead strand and follow it from root to ends (and I'm not even talking about the natural growth part...but just the lower part of the relaxed section to the ends), you'll notice a tapering which tells you that you're looking at the stage that follows this one:

...after part of that tears away. The other hairs are shorter because not only did they already go through that, but what was left broke away too.

Last edited:

D.Lisha

Nonie: Thanks for the pictorial description. It was very enlightening. :yes:
Aireen: the pics are here, miss! Yet another crummy update.....I think it's time I get rid of my "longer" side....It's beginning to urk my nerves! I want to wait until I reach at least full BSL before I cut it back though....but idk if I can even wait that long :nono:....

Aireen

D.Lisha, your hair looks better than last time! The length of it looks more healthy, I do agree that you should give yourself a really good trim and try to even things up a bit.

AlliCat

Unpopular opinion here...I say keep it. If your hair is anything like mine it evens up on its own.

EDIT: I did some digging for ya:

That's my hair when I was SLish...no trims in between the pics. IMO you should wait a bit until you're closer to your next milestone to re-assess...especially if your ends are not split/damaged/breaking

Last edited:

D.Lisha

Unpopular opinion here...I say keep it. If your hair is anything like mine it evens up on its own.

EDIT: I did some digging for ya:

That's my hair when I was SLish...no trims in between the pics. IMO you should wait a bit until you're closer to your next milestone to re-assess...especially if your ends are not split/damaged/breaking

AlliCat: This is exactly what I was thinking. I mean it's not like the longest part is particularly damaged, it's just growing at an accelerated rate for some reason? :ohwell:. From what I examined it is perfectly healthy, and as the old saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". So the verdict is out, I will keep it (at least until all of my hair has reached full BSL (which I guess will make the longest part hit just below BSL?) then I will give myself an even blunt cut :).
Sounds like an idea to me
Aireen: I think it's look healthier than before as well. I will continue to use my castor oil weekly so it can gain some thickness as well! When are you due for your next relaxer, hairbuddy?

Aireen

Aireen: I think it's look healthier than before as well. I will continue to use my castor oil weekly so it can gain some thickness as well! When are you due for your next relaxer, hairbuddy?
[/FONT][/COLOR]

D.Lisha, glad you came to a decision, do what makes you happy even if others agree/disagree. Yup, I'm impressed, looks like your wiggin' is working for you! I'm happy you're seeing improvement! :grin: :bighug:

Hmm well it's May now... I'm officially due in about a month since I relax every 4 months. I was thinking of stretching but if it's hot, I'm not up for wrestling with my new growth along with fighting humidity. :look: I'm excited though! :grin: :drunk: :lol:

Last edited:

Your Cheeziness

After seeing your relaxer results, it looks like the result of breakage that happened over time that you may not have noticed. Even in the picture, your ends look tapered, indicating wear and tear (which is normal for everyone with hair). The way we style our hair and even our hair getting caught in clothing, etc. can cause this type of mechanical breakage, giving the illusion of "lead hair". My vote is that the long pieces are not lead hair, they just haven't broken off yet. I vote to trim to get rid of any remaining damage that will just continue to split up.

kblc06

This is my personal theory on lead hairs:

iri9109 Not necessarily. After the anagen phase, most hair enters the catagen phase, or intermediate resting period in which no active growth occurs. This usually lasts for 2-4 weeks, followed by the telogen phase that lasts anywhere between 1-5 months; however,the latter two phases are longer in some individuals just as the anagen phase varies amongst different people. The anagen, catagen, and telogen phases of each follicle functions relatively independently. Therefore, while 90% of your hair may be in the anagen phase, 5% maybe in the catagen phase where the hair is still attached to the follicle, but has not yet shed and the remaining 5% will be in the telogen phase as the hair is gradually pushed from the follicle, preparing for shedding and a new anagen phase. If part of your hair (anywhere from 5-15%) is resting while a significant portion is still in the anagen phase, the hairs still in the anagen phase will proceed to catch up to and outgrow the hairs in the catagen or telogen phase. This would lead to the appearance of uneven growth or leading hairs. By the time the cycle repeats itself, some of the hair that was previously in the anagen (growth) stage would have begun to enter it's own catagen and telogen phases, and would have appeared to cease growing as well.

There is also some evidence that stages can be manipulated with the use of topical agents such as minoxidil or even diet. Also, the cycle between anagen and catagen may continuously occur off and on before the hair strand finally enters the telogen phase- this is especially true in individuals who have longer than average growth cycles (i.e. 5-10 years). There are also substages within these categories. Although 5-10% does not seem like a significant amount, the total of hairs in the catagen and telogen phase would account for almost 10 to 12,000 strands of hair or more, which is enough to be quite noticeable. HTH

As far as your hair, examine the ends to see if the look worn or tattered. If not just do a small dusting or S&D throughout your hair, and keep it protected. If it is lead hair, within a few months, the opposite side should start to catch up and even out.

Nonie

OK, let us think about this: 90% of the hairs are in the anagen phase. Meaning the MAJORITY of your hairs. Not 3 hairs but about 90,000+ hairs are always in the growing phase. Not majority resting and a few still growing so they "lead" and stick out beyond others to be caught up with.

Even when pple show so-called updates of caught up hairs, all I see is hair that hadn't yet broke off slowly broke off (like Your Cheeziness explained) and the now even hair grew together.

If you look at the shorter hairs (the ones that had broken off IMO) and where they are in the after pics, you see an increase in length that seems reasonable in that time. So IMO, all worn off ends broke off and what was left made it to the length mark because the roots continue to grow. In other words, even without so-called lead hairs, the hair would have reached there anyway. "Lead hairs" do nothing for the growth of your hair but just look silly to me. And they are nothing but worn off hair strands that haven't yet met the fate of the other 99%. *pours out a li'l liquor for hairs that perish unnoticed*

Last edited:

kblc06

But that's why you have to determine on a case by case basis. If there are only a few hairs that "leading", it might just be breakage. But if it looks as if more than 10-20% of your hair is longer than the other strands, and they look and feel relatively healthy, chances are pretty strong that those hairs are leading hairs. In the case of Chicoro, and Your Hair is Your Glory--> http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=498690&highlight=lead+hairs, I'm inclined to believe there's some truth to this theory. I've noticed that I experience this on my own head as well. I always check my shed hairs or when I'm detangling and I have minimal breakage (never more than 5 pieces or so). Their hair wouldn't have retained as much length as they did if they had such severe breakage, nor would their ends look so nice and thick. Doing massive 3+ inch chops every time I saw uneven hair growth is what kept me at APL for almost two years (even though I dusted and S&D regularly).

OK, let us think about this: 90% of the hairs are in the anagen phase. Meaning the MAJORITY of your hairs. Not 3 hairs but about 90,000+ hairs are always in the growing phase. Not majority resting and a few still growing so they "lead" and stick out beyond others to be caught up with.

Even when pple show so-called updates of caught up hairs, all I see is hair that hadn't yet broke off slowly broke off (like @Your Cheeziness explained) and the now even hair grew together.

If you look at the shorter hairs (the ones that had broken off IMO) and where they are in the after pics, you see an increase in length that seems reasonable in that time. So IMO, all worn off ends broke off and what was left made it to the length mark because the roots continue to grow. In other words, even without so-called lead hairs, the hair would have reached there anyway. "Lead hairs" do nothing for the growth of your hair but just look silly to me. And they are nothing but worn off hair strands that haven't yet met the fate of the other 99%. *pours out a li'l liquor for hairs that perish unnoticed*

Last edited:

AlliCat

Even when pple show so-called updates of caught up hairs, all I see is hair that hadn't yet broke off slowly broke off

I never even though of it like that :blush: You could be right.

ETA I'm not pro- or anti-lead hairs, to be honest I don't really understand that theory, just sharing what happened to me

Last edited:

LynnieB

Even when pple show so-called updates of caught up hairs, all I see is hair that hadn't yet broke off slowly broke off (like Your Cheeziness explained) and the now even hair grew together.

When I see more pieces of short (as in 1/2" or less) pieces of hair than I am comfortable with in the sink, after manipulating my hair by brushing or combing, it's time for a dusting. This happens maybe every 6 months or so, every 4 months if I've been straightening. If I showed a photo example of the type of short pieces and the amount of pieces I'm referring to, most people here would think I had an compulsive/obsessive disorder, the amount is so small and I make much ado about nothing. But I know my hair and I'm all about prevention and maintenance.

What I NEVER see is long "broken off" hair. I don't have that kind of breakage. The only time I experienced that kind of breakage is when I was relaxed.

I do experience shedding, sometimes it's alot, sometimes it's little.

My hair doesn't break these days, it just doesn't. It's why my hair is the longest and healthiest it's ever been in my life and I basically just let it be. Naturals seems to have an advantage with this since so many of us default into natural-type styles which do not make apparent the varying lengths.

No one can convince you that lead hairs exist and no one should have to go much out of their way to do so. Evidence for or against will be apparent in the photos, over a period of time.

Whimsy

Hey OP - I don't exactly know what a lead hair is, but I know waht a split end is...look at the ends of the strands. if they're split or look raggedy and jacked up, then trim. If they look normal but just slightly longer for some strange reason then keep em.
That's what i'd do at least :)

Nonie

But that's why you have to determine on a case by case basis. If there are only a few hairs that "leading", it might just be breakage. But if it looks as if more than 10-20% of your hair is longer than the other strands, and they look and feel relatively healthy, chances are pretty strong that those hairs are leading hairs. In the case of Chicoro, and Your Hair is Your Glory--> http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=498690&highlight=lead+hairs, I'm inclined to believe there's some truth to this theory. I've noticed that I experience this on my own head as well. I always check my shed hairs or when I'm detangling and I have minimal breakage (never more than 5 pieces or so). Their hair wouldn't have retained as much length as they did if they had such severe breakage, nor would their ends look so nice and thick. Doing massive 3+ inch chops every time I saw uneven hair growth is what kept me at APL for almost two years (even though I dusted and S&D regularly).

I think what a lot of people aren't getting is when hair wears off naturally, it's not long strands that fall off. It's bit by bit...because splits don't just happen in drastic lengths but rather it's a teeny tear that may rip off completely or travel up a bit. Those ends may rip again...and a part of them tears off. And so on. So you will not see long strands of hair when hair is wearing off naturally. It's not the same thing as hair breaking because as happens when you've got a weakness or mid-shaft splits.

Think about it: people whose hair never grows longer than SL, is it because their follicles all died or went to sleep? No, it's because of the gradual wearing away that goes unnoticed.

The people whose lead hairs catch up have thick ends coz the skinny ones that were just hanging on by a thread finally wear away (like being filed away) till all the hair is the same length.

If 10% of the hair is longer than the rest, what happened to 90% that should've been growing at all times. Y'all don't make me get draw a diagram to show there's no logic beside gradual wearing away that would explain how 10% of hair that should have 90% growing at all times would be way longer. What happened to the 80% of that 90%?

I put this out not because I want to change the minds of those who would swear on this on a stack of bibles that lead hairs are real, but because those who don't know for sure need to hear a different point of view and decide for themselves what makes sense.

I could've called the hairs below that are obviously longer than most "lead hairs" and held onto them waiting for the rest to catch up:

But c'mon son! Below is my hair a few months before this:

Clearly my hair was longer in the first pic than in the second pic--at least if you look at the skinny tip--but do you think it's because a small percentage of my strands/follicles decided to take the lead and stand up to be counted as "lead hairs"? Not on your life. Here's what happened: in the four months, 90% of my hair follicles continued spitting hair out...and the length continued growing. So in 4 months, MOST of my strands would have been at the length in the first pic...but instead, in that time, the worn off ends were slowly chipping away...so that in the end I was left holding a tiny few that had not yet met that fate.

And how do I know this, coz I had so-called "lead hairs" most of my life. You can see them in the image below when my hair was relaxed:

The curves^^ in my hair ending in skinny long strands. The back was cut so it's a lot more even. But you know what's so funny...my "lead hairs" never got longer than SL.

So why do people who claim lead hairs have long hair? Because their haircare practices are generally good and they are able to minimize the effect of the wearing off. If one is bunning, sealing, protective styling...surely the rate at which hair is worn off will be less than if they were not doing that. But does it stop completely. Not on your life. And like I said, if you were to examine lead hairs (not simply against the light using your naked eye) but using a magnifying glass or somep'n...you'd see the thinning, tapering end that is typical of normal wear and tear.

Last edited:

kblc06

Nonie
But for people who notice a difference in growth patterns, their hair doesn't stay at one length, it gets longer and longer without any significant signs of damage. Had you not cut your hair or only performed a small dusting, the remaining hair may have caught up and thickened to the same density as your latter pic. I think you may have misunderstood the info I posted. All the hair is continuing to grow, except the hair that's in the catagen or telogen phase. But your entire head is not synchronized in terms of growth rate or growth phase. It just not ALL growing at the same rate. And since they do not grow at the same rate, some hairs will eventually grow longer or exceed the length of others.

If this weren't true, how do you explain hair that grows from a blunt cut but turns into a V-shape as it grows longer- it should just get longer with the same shape IF the hair is all growing at the same rate. Nor shouldn't it even itself up over time, but it does. If it were all breakage the hair wouldn't be getting noticeably longer, nor would the ends eventually thicken- they would just get thinner and shorter. Not all individuals experience regular amounts of breakage or any breakage at all. If I'm seeing more than 10 pieces of hair when I wash every 1-2 weeks, I know it's time for a deep trim. You would have to have significant breakage of over 85% of your head in order for it to appear that the remaining 15% are leading hairs. With such a significant amount of breakage, one's hair would be noticeably shorter. I'm sure someone, especially on this board, would have noticed 85% of their "shed" strands consisted of mostly shorter broken pieces of hair.

Ever notice when wearing braids, especially cornrows, that after 2-3 weeks, some areas of your head may have more new growth than others. For me, that area includes the crown and lower sides. Those areas may temporarily be longer than say the outer edges and sides that have grown less.For the next set of braids, I may get more new growth around the sides and those hairs catch up to the growth at the crown, whose growth rate has slowed. Even our nails grow unevenly, hence the need to file them into shape even after we've already done so.

I think what a lot of people aren't getting is when hair wears off naturally, it's not long strands that fall off. It's bit by bit...because splits don't just happen in drastic lengths but rather it's a teeny tear that may rip off completely or travel up a bit. Those ends may rip again...and a part of them tears off. And so on. So you will not see long strands of hair when hair is wearing off naturally. It's not the same thing as hair breaking because as happens when you've got a weakness or mid-shaft splits.

Think about it: people whose hair never grows longer than SL, is it because their follicles all died or went to sleep? No, it's because of the gradual wearing away that goes unnoticed.

The people whose lead hairs catch up have thick ends coz the skinny ones that were just hanging on by a thread finally wear away (like being filed away) till all the hair is the same length.

If 10% of the hair is longer than the rest, what happened to 90% that should've been growing at all times. Y'all don't make me get draw a diagram to show there's no logic beside gradual wearing away that would explain how 10% of hair that should have 90% growing at all times would be way longer. What happened to the 80% of that 90%?

I put this out not because I want to change the minds of those who would swear on this on a stack of bibles that lead hairs are real, but because those who don't know for sure need to hear a different point of view and decide for themselves what makes sense.

I could've called the hairs below that are obviously longer than most "lead hairs" and held onto them waiting for the rest to catch up:

But c'mon son! Below is my hair a few months before this:

Clearly my hair was longer in the first pic than in the second pic--at least if you look at the skinny tip--but do you think it's because a small percentage of my strands/follicles decided to take the lead and stand up to be counted as "lead hairs"? Not on your life. Here's what happened: in the four months, 90% of my hair follicles continued spitting hair out...and the length continued growing. So in 4 months, MOST of my strands would have been at the length in the first pic...but instead, in that time, the worn off ends were slowly chipping away...so that in the end I was left holding a tiny few that had not yet met that fate.

And how do I know this, coz I had so-called "lead hairs" most of my life. You can see them in the image below when my hair was relaxed:

The curves^^ in my hair ending in skinny long strands. The back was cut so it's a lot more even. But you know what's so funny...my "lead hairs" never got longer than SL.

So why do people who claim lead hairs have long hair? Because their haircare practices are generally good and they are able to minimize the effect of the wearing off. If one is bunning, sealing, protective styling...surely the rate at which hair is worn off will be less than if they were not doing that. But does it stop completely. Not on your life. And like I said, if you were to examine lead hairs (not simply against the light using your naked eye) but using a magnifying glass or somep'n...you'd see the thinning, tapering end that is typical of normal wear and tear.

Last edited:

Nonie

But for people who notice a difference in growth patterns, their hair doesn't stay at one length, it gets longer and longer without any significant signs of damage. I think you may have misunderstood the info I posted. All the hair is continuing to grow, except the hair that's in the catagen or telogen phase. But your entire head is not synchronized in terms of growth rate or growth phase. It just not ALL growing at the same rate. And since they do not grow at the same rate, some hairs will eventually grow longer or exceed the length of others.

I do understand about hair growth cycle. I do know ALL the hair is not at the same point in growth. But also the hairs are not at significantly different growth states so that you'd see the difference with the naked eye. Hair grows at approx 0.017 inches a day on average which is about 0.11 inches in a week. For a visual, let's look at an inch ruler:

The point show as 1/8 on that ruler is 0.125 so the amount you grow in a week is a little less than that--if you have average growth. That of course is a magnified ruler so in reality, what you grow in a week if you have average growth is _ <--that much.

So every week, 90% of the strands get that much increase in length. NINETY PERCENT. The catagen state (resting state) before hairs start to shed lasts 3 weeks. Usually the longest hairs are the ones that have completed their anagen phase and so are the ones in the catagen phase. And want to know what percentage is usually in that resting phase? 1-2%. And for how long? 3-4 weeks.

In 3 weeks, average rate growth increase: ___ <--that much.

So if there's catching up happening to the resting hairs, it's only by that much (Or double that if you grow an inch a month). And then what happens after the resting phase ends? The resting hairs enter the shedding phase. So guess what? They don't stick around. At telogen phase, they fall out.

So images showing "lead hairs" that stand out at 2-3 inches ahead of other hairs make no sense whatsoever. Coz remember, 90% of hairs are always creeping up at _ <--that much a week at all times. So only chipping away ends could explain the huge differences in length.

If this weren't true, how do you explain hair that grows from a blunt cut but turns into a V-shape as it grows longer- it should just get longer with the same shape IF the hair is all growing at the same rate. Nor shouldn't it even itself up over time, but it does. If it were all breakage the hair wouldn't be getting noticeably longer, nor would the ends eventually thicken- they would just get thinner and shorter. Not all individuals experience regular amounts of breakage or any breakage at all. If I'm seeing more than 10 pieces of hair when I wash every 1-2 weeks, I know it's time for a deep trim

And explanation for why the blunt turns into the V or U could be the shape of the head. It's round and hairs are shedding daily...so the ones that were cut short who were in catagen phase reach telogen and fall out. Meanwhile those that were still growing continue to grow past the trim poing. So in time, the hairs that were not fully grown at the time of the trim go through their full growth cycle reaching whatever the longest they can reach is. The hairs at the back of the head, will reach further down your back than those by your ears...just because they are growing from a vertically lower point.

Ever notice when wearing braids, especially cornrows, that after 2-3 weeks, some areas of your head may have more new growth than others. For me, that area includes the crown and lower sides. Those areas may temporarily be longer than say the outer edges and sides that have grown less.For the next set of braids, I may get more new growth around the sides and those hairs catch up to the growth at the crown, whose growth rate has slowed. Even our nails grow unevenly, hence the need to file them into shape even after we've already done so.

What you describe here has nothing to do with what folks have been referring to as "lead hairs". When you talk about one part of the head growing hair slower than another part--there's never straggly hairs sticking out of others longer and all willy nilly, nor is there any "waiting" for others to catch up that happens in this case. The section that grows fast keeps growing faster than the sections that grow slow continue to grow slow. There's no waiting happening here, and in general it's the MAJORITY of that section that is longer than the rest, not a couple of skinny hairs. So again, lead hairs thoery is hold no water.

kblc06

If you feel that way then fine :yep:. The evidence I've seen has been lead me to the contrary conclusion. In the end our personal experiences and observations lead us to conclusions that seem most reasonable to us. In my experience, the most notable examples of people who experience lead hairs, or uneven growth rates all have hair that I aspire to have (particularly LynnieB & Chicoro who've all exhibited tremendous retention in remarkably short period of time). And I notice the I have the best retention and health when I follow methods similar to theirs (including S&Ding w/ regular dusting and leaving my hair alone). In the end, you have to do what you feel is best for your hair :yep:

I do understand about hair growth cycle. I do know ALL the hair is not at the same point in growth. But also the hairs are not at significantly different growth states so that you'd see the difference with the naked eye. Hair grows at approx 0.017 inches a day on average which is about 0.11 inches in a week. For a visual, let's look at an inch ruler:

The point show as 1/8 on that ruler is 0.125 so the amount you grow in a week is a little less than that--if you have average growth. That of course is a magnified ruler so in reality, what you grow in a week if you have average growth is _ <--that much.

So every week, 90% of the strands get that much increase in length. NINETY PERCENT. The catagen state (resting state) before hairs start to shed lasts 3 weeks. Usually the longest hairs are the ones that have completed their anagen phase and so are the ones in the catagen phase. And want to know what percentage is usually in that resting phase? 1-2%. And for how long? 3-4 weeks.

In 3 weeks, average rate growth increase: ___ <--that much.

So if there's catching up happening to the resting hairs, it's only by that much (Or double that if you grow an inch a month). And then what happens after the resting phase ends? The resting hairs enter the shedding phase. So guess what? They don't stick around. At telogen phase, they fall out.

So images showing "lead hairs" that stand out at 2-3 inches ahead of other hairs make no sense whatsoever. Coz remember, 90% of hairs are always creeping up at _ <--that much a week at all times. So only chipping away ends could explain the huge differences in length.

And explanation for why the blunt turns into the V or U could be the shape of the head. It's round and hairs are shedding daily...so the ones that were cut short who were in catagen phase reach telogen and fall out. Meanwhile those that were still growing continue to grow past the trim poing. So in time, the hairs that were not fully grown at the time of the trim go through their full growth cycle reaching whatever the longest they can reach is. The hairs at the back of the head, will reach further down your back than those by your ears...just because they are growing from a vertically lower point.

What you describe here has nothing to do with what folks have been referring to as "lead hairs". When you talk about one part of the head growing hair slower than another part--there's never straggly hairs sticking out of others longer and all willy nilly, nor is there any "waiting" for others to catch up that happens in this case. The section that grows fast keeps growing faster than the sections that grow slow continue to grow slow. There's no waiting happening here, and in general it's the MAJORITY of that section that is longer than the rest, not a couple of skinny hairs. So again, lead hairs thoery is hold no water.

Last edited:

D.Lisha

@D.Lisha - girl, look what you started! :giggle:
I do have a question, when was the last trim/time your ends were all even?

Your Cheeziness: This was the last time my hair was all even. My stylist did a serious trim on it in June of last year, and this pic was taken during my September relaxer. And by the time I had my November relaxer, that's when I first noticed the "uneveness" developing in my hair growth. And it's been that way ever since :ohwell:

Your Cheeziness

@Your Cheeziness: This was the last time my hair was all even. My stylist did a serious trim on it in June of last year, and this pic was taken during my September relaxer. And by the time I had my November relaxer, that's when I first noticed the "uneveness" developing in my hair growth. And it's been that way ever since :ohwell:

Okay, after seeing those comparison pics side-by-side, I definitely vote, your hair has had some breakage. You hair actually appears longer to me in the other thread with your ends being blunt and full. This time, not so much. Your overall length doesn't seem to have increased in such a long amount of time. Do you agree?

ETA: Your hair in the November relaxer appears longer (at the length of your "lead hair", while the rest is shorter. I just think the "lead" hasn't broken yet.

Last edited:

D.Lisha

Okay, after seeing those comparison pics side-by-side, I definitely vote, your hair has had some breakage. You hair actually appears longer to me in the other thread with your ends being blunt and full. This time, not so much. Your overall length doesn't seem to have increased in such a long amount of time. Do you agree?

ETA: Your hair in the November relaxer appears longer (at the length of your "lead hair", while the rest is shorter. I just think the "lead" hasn't broken yet.

Your Cheeziness: I would have to agree. Back when my hair was bluntly-cut seems like growth and thickness occurred at a more rapid rate. I'm not understanding what could have gone wrong to cause such damage in this amount of time. I've PSed religiously, I've "square-danced" with my buns in order to ensure that no concentrated tension occurred in one specific area. I moisturize and seal every night, sleep with a silk head scarf on, Wash 1x a week and follow-up with a DC once a week. Co-wash once a week, air-dry 99% of the time (except on relaxer days). Protein treatment every 4 weeks or, dust with every relaxer, ONLY TO HAVE THIS :censored: happen?!!!! MAN......................................................................................................................................*in chris breezy voice* I'm done.