lead hairs challenge?

ChristmasCarol

I need this challenge! I'm faced with a double-whammy: lead hairs and thinner relaxed ends - I'm 16 months into transitioning.

Took this pic (sorry it's so large) wearing white so I could see the thinness better. Been tempted to cut 2 inches, but was waiting until next month. Maybe I won't feel so badly about the stragglers, now. When I wear my hair down, it's always curled, so they aren't visible anyways.

grow

thank you so very much for starting this much needed thread!

when i say your pic in pikistrip from april to september, i must say, you did a great job!

i am always getting those lead hairs threatened, and just like you said, they need a safe place they can call home!

i am totally IN!

Is it called lead hairs if your newly, no longer thick crown hairs are due to a recent bout of excessive shedding? If so, then I would like to join!

i believe the term lead hairs refer to the ends of hair that are longer. (see the pic a few posts up) and it creates a see thru pattern, so all of a sudden it will seem like you have excessive damage with no recall of losing that much hair and you usually have healthy ends (no splits, knots or very little splits) that's my opinion of it anyway.

I need this challenge! I'm faced with a double-whammy: lead hairs and thinner relaxed ends - I'm 16 months into transitioning.

Took this pic (sorry it's so large) wearing white so I could see the thinness better. Been tempted to cut 2 inches, but was waiting until next month. Maybe I won't feel so badly about the stragglers, now. When I wear my hair down, it's always curled, so they aren't visible anyways.

if you refer to my pics mine was much more see thru than yours. and it only took 5 months to achieve my results. you shouldn't even take that long. i did keep the ends heat free and i sealed them with blue magic cocunut grease

thank you so very much for starting this much needed thread!

when i say your pic in pikistrip from april to september, i must say, you did a great job!

i am always getting those lead hairs threatened, and just like you said, they need a safe place they can call home!

i am totally IN!

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: at threatened.

good morning or afternoon depending on where you live. if you currently have lead hairs it would be greeeaaatttt to see a pic so after they fill in we can see your progress. i probably will post a new pic in november. also has anyone read chicoro's book, do you own it?

Bigmommah

I haven't read the book yet but I plan to look into it after my move next week. I will post a picture of my hair the second weekend of October when I"ll be rollersetting it again (my hair is french braided until after my move).

Thanks for starting this challenge.

bryantgurls

i believe the term lead hairs refer to the ends of hair that are longer. (see the pic a few posts up) and it creates a see thru pattern, so all of a sudden it will seem like you have excessive damage with no recall of losing that much hair and you usually have healthy ends (no splits, knots or very little splits) that's my opinion of it anyway.

Yeah they are now see through but I attribute it to the excessive shedding that I have had because before that my hair was pretty thick...

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I'm due for a salon visit soon. My stylist ALWAYS suggest trimming the thin ends to create a weight line for a thicker/fuller look. I don't mind keeping thin ends because I'm PS anyway. Anyone willing to give me Trim Lesson 101 (figure of speech) because I don't know how to visually distinguish splits vs lead hairs, thus I'm unable to stand my ground with the stylist and advise against trimming.

grow

good morning or afternoon depending on where you live. if you currently have lead hairs it would be greeeaaatttt to see a pic so after they fill in we can see your progress. i probably will post a new pic in november. also has anyone read chicoro's book, do you own it?

great idea about the pic your hair is your glory, but i'm also trying to be right and consistent with my HYH Challenge, so is it ok if i post a pic in december when we have our reveal?

sure some of the lead hairs i have right now will have hopefully caught up by then (though with my 24/7 wet bunning, they aren't visible...hence the difficulty in getting a pic ready right now); but knowing how my hair grows, by december, there will be new lead hairs and new lil' ones playing catch up!

I'm due for a salon visit soon. My stylist ALWAYS suggest trimming the thin ends to create a weight line for a thicker/fuller look. I don't mind keeping thin ends because I'm PS anyway. Anyone willing to give me Trim Lesson 101 (figure of speech) because I don't know how to visually distinguish splits vs lead hairs, thus I'm unable to stand my ground with the stylist and advise against trimming.
lead hairs i would say are hairs that are longer than the majority of your hair. if you examine the ends they are healthy, but just longer than the rest of your hair. split ends have some type of split in them like a tree branch if you see one you will def. know it's a split.

Last edited:
great idea about the pic your hair is your glory, but i'm also trying to be right and consistent with my HYH Challenge, so is it ok if i post a pic in december when we have our reveal?

sure some of the lead hairs i have right now will have hopefully caught up by then (though with my 24/7 wet bunning, they aren't visible...hence the difficulty in getting a pic ready right now); but knowing how my hair grows, by december, there will be new lead hairs and new lil' ones playing catch up!

no problem

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
lead hairs i would say are hairs that are longer than the majority of your hair. if you examine the ends they are healthy, but just longer than the rest of your hair. split ends have some type of split in them like a tree branch if you see one you will def. know it's a split.
The chart was very helpful and insightful. I looked at my ends last night and I don't see one split BUT I could have overlooked something. I don't use direct heat. I haven't used heat in whew...a lot of months, maybe over a year. I can't remember the last time I used direct heat actually, it's been that long ago. This chart gives me the fire power needed to discuss my upcoming trim suggestion from my stylist. I know she will suggest it because I have lead hairs in some places, she loves to even things up.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!

Hello! I am glad to see this challenge. Yes, I coined the term "lead hairs" (as far as I know!). It just simply describes hairs that have dropped in length that are longer than the bulk (majority) of the hair. Hair grows in 'whorls' much like a weft of hair that goes around your head when using weave. Lead hairs are hairs in an area on the head that consistently grow faster and longer than the rest of the hair. Once those "lead hairs" drop in length, they often 'wait' for the rest of the hair, or the bulk of the hair to catch up. Scientifically, hair does go through what is formally called, 'a resting period'.

You don't need to buy a book. You have the gist of EXACTLY what I describe. You got it! Nice challenge by the way. Good luck to everyone!

thx chicoro! i hope you stick around for advice since you have experiance with lead hairs and you can identify them better than me. i also remember you giving out lots of positive comments to ladies as we go through our journey. i have been a fotki recepient myself. so dont be a stranger.

Lita

Lead hairs...lol I Love it!Good luck to All...... I have combination hair lead hair/little splits...

Happy Hair Growing!

D.Lisha

*lurks*
:lurking:
Lord I pray for hair like that of your hair is your glory's Siggy or Chicorro's!!! :pray: lol
And your hair is your glory:
As far as "long hair shedding" goes, I was always under the assumption that those hairs were at the "end" of their growth period and fell out when it was time to make room for the new hairs that are at the beginning of their growth cycle.

Now feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, I still feel like a newbie to all of this hair info you guys! lol.

*lurks*
:lurking:
Lord I pray for hair like that of your hair is your glory's Siggy or Chicorro's!!! :pray: lol
And your hair is your glory:
As far as "long hair shedding" goes, I was always under the assumption that those hairs were at the "end" of their growth period and fell out when it was time to make room for the new hairs that are at the beginning of their growth cycle.

Now feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, I still feel like a newbie to all of this hair info you guys! lol.

that's probably it. i did have a baby ( 9 months ago) that could be it. you never get used to seeing the hair on the floor, i don't care how much you got left on your head. lol

D.Lisha

that's probably it. i did have a baby ( 9 months ago) that could be it. you never get used to seeing the hair on the floor, i don't care how much you got left on your head. lol

ugh, i know right?!!
so I co-washed my hair last night, and I began to detangle it after I coated it with my deep conditioner...and as I was detangling I cringed at the lil hairs that were coming out....overall last night i'd say I lost about 45-50 hairs. Then this morning after I rinsed the conditioner out....I ran the comb through my hair one last time.....and I lost about a dime-sized amount of hair :ohwell:
NOT COOL!

ChristmasCarol

D.Lisha
your hair is your glory

I know that shedding must be scary, but I think you are correct about those hairs reaching the end of their lifespan, D.Lisha. Pregnancy can cause hair to remain in a growing phase until after delivery/breastfeeding - which is why so many women report thicker hair during pregnancy.

Many people shed quite a bit in the autumn, too. Over at LHC there are quite a few threads talking about this issue. Unless the shedding is severe and prolonged, it won't have any effect on your hair growth goals.

D.Lisha

D.Lisha
your hair is your glory

I know that shedding must be scary, but I think you are correct about those hairs reaching the end of their lifespan, D.Lisha. Pregnancy can cause hair to remain in a growing phase until after delivery/breastfeeding - which is why so many women report thicker hair during pregnancy.

Many people shed quite a bit in the autumn, too. Over at LHC there are quite a few threads talking about this issue. Unless the shedding is severe and prolonged, it won't have any effect on your hair growth goals.

uh-oh, something I am definitely NOT looking forward to :nono:
Hey sipp100, do you think the amount of shed hairs varies according to how the hair is worn? For example, do you think the amount of shed hairs for women that wear their REAL hair out is more then the woman that keep their hair hidden under sew-ins, wigs etc..?(i hope my question was clear lol)

D.Lisha

D.Lisha
your hair is your glory

uh-oh, something I am definitely NOT looking forward to :nono:
Hey sipp100, do you think the amount of shed hairs varies according to how the hair is worn? For example, do you think the amount of shed hairs for women that wear their REAL hair out is more then the woman that keep their hair hidden under sew-ins, wigs etc..?(i hope my question was clear lol)