LeKair Cholesterol Plus - a Protein Conditioner!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I was doing a search about LeKair on here and found out it was a protein conditioner. :eek: I looked at the ingredients to check and it has Keratin Protein in it. I have been using this once a week as a deep conditioner and I think that's why my hair feels kinda funny after using it. I have fine textured hair and I have learned it cannot take too much protein (after using up ElastaQP Breakage Control Serum and using the Motions Nourish leave-in that I still have some left). So I may need to use LeKair Cholesterol once a month or something. After I use it up, I won't be using it anymore.

Does anyone know of some good Moisturizing Conditioners that I can use weekly???:confused:

Tai

Try Lustrasilk's Aloe cholestrol. You can find it at Sally's. I believe that it's one of Kha's staples.

What price range are you trying to stay in?

kristina

I discovered this relatively recently too....actually it say on back that it has protein in it. I'm currently in braids so I'm planning to use it every other week (diluted) as a conditioner. But for a non-protein conditioner, I had great success with NTM, Humecto, and Hot Oil Six mixed together. Alternatively, I also like Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner.

Poohbear

Tai said:
Try Lustrasilk's Aloe cholestrol. You can find it at Sally's. I believe that it's one of Kha's staples.

What price range are you trying to stay in?
Hee-hee! You know I'm a cheapo! :grin: Anywhere under $6, I guess. ;)

Another question: does Hollywood Beauty Cholesterol have protein in it???

Tai

I know, Pooh, that's why I asked before I started recommending my usual suspects. :yep:

You could try the Generic Humectress from Sally's or Aussie's 3 minute miracle.

BAILEYSCREAM

Poohbear,

It is relatively difficult not to get protein in hair products. Le Kair Cholesterol is primarily exactly that, a cholesterol (oil or fat). The keratin protein it contains is no 12 in a list of 15 ingredients.

Therefore, I would not count this conditioner as being a protein conditioner.

Your hair may need clarifying, maybe that's why your hair feels funny after using it.

In fact if you go into your bathroom and look at the ingredients list of most, not all of your conditioners, they are bound to contain protein in one form or the other. Most protein conditioners have their protein derivatives further at the beginning of the ingredients list. Even Queen Helene cholesterol has Keratin amino acids in it, also no 12 in the list also the organics hair mayonnaise, even Nexxus humectress contains keratin amino acids.

The only one I found in my cupboard that doesn't contain protein is Soft and Beautiful intense moisturizing soufflé. I am sure there are others, but I don't find this conditioner to be extra moisturizing.

Anyway, just keep trying products and I'm sure you will find something you like.

Last edited:

Poohbear

kristina said:
I discovered this relatively recently too....actually it say on back that it has protein in it. I'm currently in braids so I'm planning to use it every other week (diluted) as a conditioner. But for a non-protein conditioner, I had great success with NTM, Humecto, and Hot Oil Six mixed together. Alternatively, I also like Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner.
I always here how great KeraCare Humecto and Kenra MC are, but theyre outta my spending budget. :p

Poohbear

Re: Q

BAILEYSCREAM said:
Your hair may need clarifying, maybe that's why your hair feels funny after using it.
I've been clarifying once a week to get rid of product buildup on my hair and scalp... :yep: ...so it's not that. ;)

In fact if you go into your bathroom and look at the ingredients list of most, not all of your conditioners, they are bound to contain protein in one form or the other. Most protein conditioners have their protein derivatives further at the beginning of the ingredients list.

LeKair is the only conditioner I have!!! :shocked:

Last edited:

BAILEYSCREAM

Poohbear said:
Hee-hee! You know I'm a cheapo! :grin: Anywhere under $6, I guess. ;)

Another question: does Hollywood Beauty Cholesterol have protein in it???

These are the ingredients for the Hollywood Beauty Carrot Cholesterol. I have marked the protein (that I can see in red).

The Ingredients in the Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholesterol are similar si I ahven't bothered to list them. However the link where I got the info is at the bottom if you want to see.

Ingredients
Deionized Water Aqua , Cetearyl Alcohol , PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil , Stearalkonium Chloride , Cetyl Alcohol , Stearyl Alcohol , Carrot Oil , Propylene Glycol , Glycerin , Mineral Oil , Tea Tree Oil , Jojoba Oil , Avocado Oil , Coconut Oil , Egg Protein , Cholesterol , Aloe Vera Extract , Calendula Extract , Lemon Extract , Rose Mary Extract , Great Burdock Extract , Ivy Extract , Pine Extract , Sage Extract , Watercress Extract , Chamomile Extract , White Nettle Extract , Capucine Extract , Fragrance , Methyl Paraben , Propyl Paraben , Diazolidinyl Urea , DMDM Hydantoin , Disodium EDTA , D&C Yellow No. 10 , FD&C Yellow No. 5 , FD&C Yellow No. 6 , FD&C Red No. 4

Source: http://www.walgreens.com/brandstore/brandlist.jhtml?CATID=3432&orderBy=pricePerPackage

Last edited:

Porsche19

If the conditioner doesn't have protein as an ingredient near the top, it's moisturizing to me. Also, proteins that aren't keratin don't have the same strengthening and drying affects that keratin does. You can use silk, collagen, milk and wheat proteins much more often than keratin proteins.

Just because it contains protein doesn't make it a protein conditioner. Almost every cholesterol has protein in it... btw my lekair has collegen, not keratin.

CheerBear

Hey Pooh! A good cheap moisturizing conditioner is Herbal Essences Intensive Conditioning Balm...I dont think it's discontinued....It's about 3 dollars though..My absolute FAVORITE conditioner that is mucho cheapo is Lustrasilk Placenta and Jojoba...the placenta sounds scary, but it doesnt make hair hard at all...It also has silk amino acids in it, so it strengthens and softens, adds shine, etc etc...I like it better than my Humectress and my Redken...and its only 2 dollars

Poohbear

Porsche19 said:
If the conditioner doesn't have protein as an ingredient near the top, it's moisturizing to me. Also, proteins that aren't keratin don't have the same strengthening and drying affects that keratin does. You can use silk, collagen, milk and wheat proteins much more often than keratin proteins.

Just because it contains protein doesn't make it a protein conditioner. Almost every cholesterol has protein in it... btw my lekair has collegen, not keratin.
thanks for that info! so I only need to worry about keratin protein. *taking a mental note* ;)

so1913

BAILEYSCREAM said:
Poohbear,

It is relatively difficult not to get protein in hair products. Le Kair Cholesterol is primarily exactly that, a cholesterol (oil or fat). The keratin protein it contains is no 12 in a list of 15 ingredients.

Therefore, I would not count this conditioner as being a protein conditioner.

In fact if you go into your bathroom and look at the ingredients list of most, not all of your conditioners, they are bound to contain protein in one form or the other. Most protein conditioners have their protein derivatives further at the beginning of the ingredients list. Even Queen Helene cholesterol has Keratin amino acids in it, also no 12 in the list also the organics hair mayonnaise, even Nexxus humectress contains keratin amino acids.

The only one I found in my cupboard that doesn't contain protein is Soft and Beautiful intense moisturizing soufflé. I am sure there are others, but I don't find this conditioner to be extra moisturizing.

Anyway, just keep trying products and I'm sure you will find something you like.

ITA. Most conditiors do have some form of protein in it because it is an essential part of maintaining the health of hair however, the trace amount of protein in cholesterol conditioners is not nearly enough to be considered a protein condioner. Frequent (weekly) use shouldn't cause any over dose of protein.

Keen

I use Lekair once a week and my hair loves it. I wash my hair two or three times a week. I rotate between Lekair and a conditioner with no protein. whatever I conditioner wash, I pretreat my hair with olive oil. So instead of shampooing before I use the conditioner, I condition my hair twice. It's been working great.

betty-boo

BAILEYSCREAM said:
These are the ingredients for the Hollywood Beauty Carrot Cholesterol. I have marked the protein (that I can see in red).

The Ingredients in the Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholesterol are similar si I ahven't bothered to list them. However the link where I got the info is at the bottom if you want to see.

Ingredients
Deionized Water Aqua , Cetearyl Alcohol , PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil , Stearalkonium Chloride , Cetyl Alcohol , Stearyl Alcohol , Carrot Oil , Propylene Glycol , Glycerin , Mineral Oil , Tea Tree Oil , Jojoba Oil , Avocado Oil , Coconut Oil , Egg Protein , Cholesterol , Aloe Vera Extract , Calendula Extract , Lemon Extract , Rose Mary Extract , Great Burdock Extract , Ivy Extract , Pine Extract , Sage Extract , Watercress Extract , Chamomile Extract , White Nettle Extract , Capucine Extract , Fragrance , Methyl Paraben , Propyl Paraben , Diazolidinyl Urea , DMDM Hydantoin , Disodium EDTA , D&C Yellow No. 10 , FD&C Yellow No. 5 , FD&C Yellow No. 6 , FD&C Red No. 4

Source: http://www.walgreens.com/brandstore/brandlist.jhtml?CATID=3432&orderBy=pricePerPackagehttp://www.walgreens.com/brandstore/brandlist.jhtml?CATID=3432&orderBy=pricePerPackage

I agree with this. I believe Lekair Cholesterol is a protein conditioner. Simply because it has Stearalkonium chloride in it. And it appears right near the top of the ingredient list. Stearalkonium Chloride is a synthetic protein, unlike natural proteins like amino acids (Histidine, Isoleucine, Lysine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Threonine, Cysteine, Cystine, Glutathione etc.,) keratin and animal protein etc.

Other synthetic proteins are Cetrimonium chloride, Cetalkonium chloride and Olealkonium chloride amongst others. These proteins are cheap because they are manufactured in a lab. The amino acids etc., are more expensive simply because they are natural. Cheap conditioners like Lekair, which I use, are great! But they are more likely to use synthetic proteins as opposed to naturally occurring proteins.

HTH

betty-boo said:
I agree with this. I believe Lekair Cholesterol is a protein conditioner. Simply because it has Stearalkonium chloride in it. And it appears right near the top of the ingredient list. Stearalkonium Chloride is a synthetic protein, unlike natural proteins like amino acids (Histidine, Isoleucine, Lysine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Threonine, Cysteine, Cystine, Glutathione etc.,) keratin and animal protein etc.

Other synthetic proteins are Cetrimonium chloride, Cetalkonium chloride and Olealkonium chloride amongst others. These proteins are cheap because they are manufactured in a lab. The amino acids etc., are more expensive simply because they are natural. Cheap conditioners like Lekair, which I use, are great! But they are more likely to use synthetic proteins as opposed to naturally occurring proteins.

HTH

Stearalkonium chloride is not a protein it is a quaternary ammonium compound

info taken from another site:
Quaternary ammonium compounds are cationic surfactants that bind well to anionic surfaces like the protien in hair. The ammonium end sticks to the hair, leaving the long fatty end of the molecule to act as a lubricant. They are slightly conductive, so the reduce the buildup of static electricity

Quaternary ammonium compounds are cationic surfactants that bind well to anionic surfaces like the protien in hair. The ammonium end sticks to the hair, leaving the long fatty end of the molecule to act as a lubricant. They are slightly conductive, so the reduce the buildup of static electricity.
The "quats", as they are called, include compounds like stearalkonium chloride, disteardimonium chloride, quaternium-5 or quaternium-18, polyquaternium-10 and they are all similar in form and function to cetrimonium chloride. These compounds are also widely used as fabric softeners, for all of the same reasons they make good hair conditioners. They are also used to thicken the shampoo.

betty-boo

Sorry Destiny616! I didn't mean it literally. Just that they are often used in place of real or natural proteins in cheap conditioners. Simply because they have a similar effect.

This is from one website:
A chemical used in hair conditioners and creams. Causes allergic reactions. Stearalkonium chloride was developed by the fabric industry as a fabric softener, and is a lot cheaper and easier to use in hair conditioning formulas than proteins

And yes, they are 'quats'. This is from another website:
These chemicals have a positive electrical charge. They contain a quaternary ammonium group and are often called "quats". These are used in hair conditioners, but originated from the paper and fabric industries as softeners and anti-static agents. In the long run they cause the hair to become dry and brittle. They are synthetic… and oral intake of them can be lethal.

They cause hair to become dry and brittle because they work in a similar way as we would expect from an actual protein conditioner, but without having any real protein there. Because it is synthetic.

Which explains why people are experiencing this 'hardening' or 'dryness' of the hair when using Lekair Cholesterol. In this way it is just easier for me to consider it as a 'protein conditioner' even though its not a real 'protein' conditioner.

Thanks for your explanation though, it makes things clearer and not as garbled as my previous post!

xxx