Length Check Time! 6 Month Update - PICS :)

SmileyNY

Yesterday I flat ironed my hair for the 1st time in 6 months.

I used a 1.5 inch Maxiglide flat iron. I'm not sure what temperature I used, but the setting goes up to 10, and I flat ironed my entire head on #4. I only did one pass & I didnt get my hair, especially my new growth, as straight as I could have (As a result it looks like I have a huge head :lol: ), however, I'm happy with the results :)

I'm texlaxed & a stretcher. My last relaxer was in June.

Here's what my hair looked like the last time I flat ironed in February...

Here's how my hair looked yesterday after a blow dry & light pass with the flat iron...

I slept in a few soft rollers & here's how my hair looked when I took them out this morning...

Thanks for letting me share :)

ETA:

MY REGGIE
:grin:

WASH/CONDITION
- I co-wash & DC my hair once a week. I cowash using good ol' Suave Naturals Conditioner. I DC using either Aussie 3 Minute Miracle or Pearl Collection Avocado Conditioning Cream. I use the heat from the shower when I DC. I put a plastic cap on, increase the hot water & let the steam work.

-When the weather is hot (85+), I cowash daily to avoid sweat buildup on my scalp.

-I clarify my hair once a month using
VO5 Herbal Escapes Clarifying Conditioner (I love the way the Kiwi Lime smells :) )

- I rarely use sulfate shampoo. I'll only use it to rinse out a bad product that I may have tried (for example a gel w/mineral oil). Of course, I also use sulfate shampoos to neutralize & wash out a relaxer.
Since I don't like to use it, I don't have a favorite sulfate shampoo. Right now I have a huge bottle of Mane & Tail shampoo and it will take me a very long time to use all of it lol.

-I usually air dry my hair... however I do occasionally use the blow dryer after my hair is 80% air dried (with the diffuser attachment) to give my wash & gos extra volume. I also use the blow dryer to pre-straighten before I flat iron.

MOISTURE & SEAL

- I use the following leave-in conditioners:

--
Shea Moisture - Organic Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner
--Shea Moisture - Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie
--Giovanni - Direct Leave-In Weightless Moisture Conditioner

-I moisturize & seal my hair every night before bed. I moisturize using 1 of the leave-ins above. I lightly seal the length of my hair with
100% pure jojobaoil & I heavily seal my ends with organic castor oil.

PROTEIN
-I use 2 raw eggs once a month. I leave the egg on my hair with a plastic cap for 30 min before rinsing out. I don't use any heat.

-I use
Aphogee 2-Step protein treatment a week before I relax

STYLE

-I don't do much styling. During the week I either wear a wash & go, bun, or I just pin my hair up with a claw clip. For special occasions I may do a roller set.

-I only use a flat iron 2-3 times a year (for Christmas & length checks)

- Sometimes I use
Aveeno Active Naturals Nourish & Style Spray Gel to smooth my edges.

MAINTENANCE
-I detangle once a week on wash days. I detangle lightly under running water with a wide-tooth comb while rinsing out my DC & then again once my hair is 80% dry with the Tangle Tamer. (Tamer, not teaser. I LOVE this thing!! It's a lot bigger than it looks)

-I don't believe in constantly trimming ends. I get my ends trimmed once a year. My last hair trim was in December 2010. However, I do S&D every few months, usually after a relaxer.

-I almost never use ponytail holders. Even when I bun, I either use bobby pins or a banana clip.

BEDTIME
-I moisturize & seal my hair every night before bed

-I usually sleep with my hair in two braids to avoid excessive tangles

-I sleep with a silk bonnet

TEXLAX
-I texlax every 14-18 weeks

-My first & 2nd Texlax (Oops, I mean "Silkeners" :lol:) were done by Miss Jessie's Salon in Soho NYC (before that I was natural). The first time they did a great job. The second time, I was severely under processed in some areas, so I was a little disappointed. However, I'll take under processed over the opposite any day :up:

-Last time, I did the Texlax myself. I used
Mizani Lye Relaxer. I mixed it with 2 teaspoons of castor oil & 2 tablespoons of conditioner. I left it on for 15 min. I only smoothed it on my edges. Turned out great & I won't be returning to Miss Jessie's :grin:

MISC.
-For the 1st half of the year, I was using natural henna on my hair once a month. I fell off for the last few months, but I'm definitely going to start up again b/c I loved how my hair responded to it.

- I used to take
MSM, Silica, & a multi vitamin every day. Again, I fell off, but I will start taking them again.

-I just want to note that I shed A LOT. I remember seeing a thread a while back about shedding & a lot of ppl said they shed about quarter-size worth of hair. Here I was shedding a anywhere from a golf ball to a tennis ball worth of hair. I felt discouraged & I was sure that I'd be bald soon
:lol: I only detangle once a week, so that contributes, but still... I shed a whole lot. My hair is a testament that shedding a lot is not necessarily the end of the world. I shed like a dog & my hair has not gotten thinner... In fact, my thickness has improved :yep: I just want to throw that out there so heavy shedders won't get discouraged.

Whew! Geesh. That's a lot of writing :lol: My regimen is actually very simple, it just looks like a lot written out... Also I may have gone into too much detail lol. This reggie is not set in stone. I'm always trying new products here & there.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone :)

Sent from my iPhone. It does EVERYTHING :grin: ...except make calls :ohwell:

Last edited:

SmileyNY

Thank you so much everyone!! :heart: Your compliments really do mean a lot :)

SmileyNY

Very good progress!
SmileyNY What is your goal length?

I keep changing my goal length lol. Right now, I think waist length is a good length. Once my lead hairs finally make it to WL, I'll just keep trimming until the rest of my hair catches up.

fivetimestwo

Wow looks like you retained every inch of growth over the past 6 months! Very impressive! And you hair is gorg by the way :yep: