Length Check

How Often Do you do a formal length check?

• Very often: Every 0-2 months

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • Often: Every 3-6 months

Votes: 66 50.0%
  • Ocassionally: Every 7-12 months

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Rarely: 1 year+

Votes: 9 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Junebug D

How often do you check your hair length? Meaning taking progress pictures, measuring with a ruler, or checking to see how close to BSL or APL you are.

Do you like to do it more often or less often, and why? If you check more often is it because you are impatient or excited? Do you check to make sure you are making progress or if you need to adjust your regimen? If less often, is it because you like the element of surprise or do you just not like to stress over it? :drunk:

Lucky's Mom

I may take pics monthly - but I don't really measure/ compare but 2 x a year.

I was a huge comparison this year.......I can't obsess over growth.

loulou82

I pull to see where my bangs land often but I don't take pics every time. I do a formal length check every 3 or 4 months. That way I can really see a difference.

naturalgurl

I'm still in the new phase and now check every 3-6 months. My year anniversary to hair knowledge is this Friday! My year here will be in February. I'm slowing down on the growth checks though. I want to do it again in August or so.

wheezy807

I check my length every two months when i get my hair trimmed and flatironed. I guess perhaps i am excited and just wanna make sure i'm making progress, lol. Plus i usually take progress pics around that time, too.

winnettag

Every single time my hair is loose, I'm pulling it to see where it is! lol.
That's why it seems like my hair isn't growing to me...I never see a difference of inches because I'm constantly checking, so the milimeters it grows go undetected and don't seem to add up.
I'll be getting a real camera for the first time this year, so I'll be able to document formally. Then, I'll be taking pics probably every 4 months.

JustKiya

Every three months. It's a long enough time to 'see' some growth, but a short enough time to be able to notice lack of growth/retention and catch any mistakes I might be making before they become major problems. :yep:

Fleurzty

I've been checking frequently lately (every month) since I was anxious re-growing my hair. I had to cut about 6-7 inches off a few months ago because of heat damage (I had a stylist blow dry my hair once and that's all it took. She fried my hair, most of it at least). I'm glad I've checked this frequently because my hair is now almost back to where it was originally. I can focus on other things now:grin:

Nonie

I'm still sulking about my unplanned chop so not checking. Not even paying attention to length. Just trying to have fun.

Simply_Kelz

Around every 3 months. Sometimes 4. Everytime I get a touch-up, basically. I like the element of suprise. I do actual comparison pictures whenever I can .. usually at my moms house so like, Winter Break, Spring Break, and Summer.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
I used to check it every month when I was relaxed, but now it's going to be every 6 months now that I'm natural.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Every time I retouch without fail so between 3 and 6 months. I need to see my progress.

phyl73

I check about every three months or so. Since I've been transitioning, I try not to use heat very often. Well I do get under the dryer to try to dry my pony, but it never does. Anywho, I do it to check length. I want to make sure I'm on target with my goals and to see if I am in fact getting the growth I think I should be getting. When I'm in a sew-in, like now, I check it daily by seeing how far I can pull my braided hair from my head.

swalker31

I'm new to hair health and LHCF; I'm going to check every two months. That's when I will warm comb and trim the ends. I will use that opportunity to map my growth.

bermudabeauty

two months. But what is more important to me is to look at my old pics than new ones. Especially when I am feeling discouraged it helps me to stay on course when I see all the progress I have made.

chebaby

i take pictures of my hair everyday lol. i know it hasnt changed in that time but i just like to look at it.

BostonMaria

I check every 3 months or so. Last length check I did was in December. I know that by March I should have 1 1/2 inches of new growth so I'll check again. I do take monthly pictures of my rollerset hair that is not flatironed, but that doesn't show the true length.

Truth

not that often... I voted rarely but it should be occassional.the real length check is when I straighten my hair..which is not very often...I say every 6 to 7 months.. every now and then if I think my fro looks alittle bigger i'll pull the front down and see where it is but that's it...