Lent?

inthepink

Am I supposed to be celebrating lent?

I am so confused b/c the evengelical Christian churches I have attended since becoming a Christian have *not* talked about "giving up" something for Lent so I have not followed this practice.

My mother's church has a whole plan of what they are to eat every day of the week. :perplexed If you're giving up something shouldn't it be private? I don't understand the church doing this together.

My co-worker can't eat meat on Fridays.

I'm confused. Is this something I'm supposed to be doing?

What confuses me also is why people are so caught up in this "what to do give up" and being so adamant about it and making sure everyone knows but outside of that, do nothing in regards to church or Christianity. (I'm probably judging, I know)

But I am confused!!!

Please shed some light on this.

PinkPebbles

Bumping....

I'm not familiar with Lent and haven't been taught the principles. I hope those whose practice Lent can chime in and enlighten us all!

Ms.Honey

I am so confused b/c the evengelical Christian churches I have attended since becoming a Christian have *not* talked about "giving up" something for Lent so I have not followed this practice.

My mother's church has a whole plan of what they are to eat every day of the week. :perplexed If you're giving up something shouldn't it be private? I don't understand the church doing this together.

What confuses me also is why people are so caught up in this "what to do give up" and being so adamant about it and making sure everyone knows but outside of that, do nothing in regards to church or Christianity. (I'm probably judging, I know)

But I am confused!!!

I think they do it out of habit and religiosity and personal beliefs on atonement. Before I converted, I made sure to send my kids to church EVERY Easter. I didn't go but made sure they went. It made me feel like I was at least doing SOMETHING right by God.

Lent isn't really biblical. It's not required of God but it's not harmful. It's fine for folks to fast together as a church. If you're confused just pray and ask the Father if He wants you to do it or not. Many churches do cleansing fasts and stuff like that.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

But I am confused!!!

Well, kinda.:yep: Just let them fulfill their requirements (it could be sin for them) but pray about what it is that G-d would have you do. They probably don't realize the diversity in the office, thinking everybody is fasting. It can definitely be maddening.

Don't lean towards their obligations, you're a diff. "religion"...you will come into your own. Most of all, don't worry about it at all. G-d knows you.

PinkPebbles

Here is a link I found...chttp://wilstar.com/holidays/lent.htm Copied and Paste. (Sorry, I can't answer any questions because I was not taught to practice Lent).
Lent: What is it? Why is it?

The highlight of the year for Christians is Easter, the day when our Lord rose from the dead. Lent is a forty-day season of preparation for Easter. Lent always begins on a Wednesday, called Ash Wednesday.
Why 40 days? Because, Jesus fasted and was tempted in the wilderness for 40 days. Lent, then, is our time of fasting, prayer, temptation and repentance. Lent is not required anywhere in scriptures, but it has been a custom, which Christians have practiced for most of the last two thousand years.
In many languages, the word "Lent" actually means "fast." This is where the custom of giving up something for Lent originated.
However, just to confuse things, Lent is actually 46 days rather than 40 days. Why? Because the 40 days of Lent are supposed to be days of fasting, which means days of discipline and self-restraint. But Sunday, the Lord's Day, should never be a day of fasting, but a day of celebration! So each Sunday we suspend our Lenten disciplines and celebrate. Lent is 40 "fasting" days spread out over a total of 46 days beginning on Ash Wednesday.
The focus of Lent was always threefold:
  1. It was a time to prepare new converts for baptism through intensive classes and instruction.
  2. It was a time for long-standing Christians to review their lives and renew their commitment to Jesus Christ.
  3. It was a time for backsliders to be restored to the faith.
In every case, it is a time for serious, disciplined self-examination, a time spent in intensive prayer and repentance before the cross of Calvary.
To represent the dark and serious business of Lent, one custom has been to strip the sanctuary of all flowers, candles, and colors during Lent. This custom helps us to turn inward and examine ourselves, even as it reminds us of the dark and colorless Sabbath day when Jesus lay dead in the tomb.
Put simply, Lent is a time to examine ourselves carefully. Here are some questions upon which you might pray and meditate during Lent:
  • Am I sharing gladly what I have with others, especially the stranger and the poor?
  • Do I have a gracious and patient attitude with others, especially those who irritate me?
  • Do I feel the power of connection to God and the church in corporate worship?
  • How is my devotional and prayer life progressing? Am I listening to God more and complaining less? Is it time for a change or a growth in my Bible study and prayer life?
  • What are the lurking sin problems, which still plague me?
  • Am I as thoughtful and forgiving of family as others, or do I take my frustrations out on them?
  • Do I speak up for the maligned and oppressed, or do I remain silent in order to remain popular?

Last edited:

HeChangedMyName

not if you don't want to. It is not a requirement. It is a personal choice and most do it for personal reasons for growth, spiritual maturity, obedience, sacrafice, etc.

PaperClip

Neither I nor my church celebrate Lent.... and I wasn't taught to practice Lent, either. I do try to give up a pleasure for the 40 days as a relationship builder between the Lord and me. I didn't do it this year (sigh)....

I remember the first time (just a few years back) when on Ash Wednesday I saw a lady (at school) with the sign of the cross on her forehead in ash. She had come from Ash Wednesday service. I looked at her like :blush: because I had never seen that before.

I do hold Good Friday VERY SACRED and of course, Resurrection Sunday.

Duchesse

I've started attending an A.M.E. church and we are encouraged to practice the Lenten season by fasting (as in eating vegan diet..no caffeine drinks,alcohol, soda) and focusing on the Word more daily/prayer, less on the world, giving up ecxessive behavior (shopping, internet, TV, etc).

HeChangedMyName

Here, I found this

Lent is the Christian season of preparation before Easter. In Western Christianity, Ash Wednesday marks the first day, or the start of the season of Lent, which begins 40 days prior to Easter (Sundays are not included in the count).
Lent is a time when many Christians prepare for Easter by observing a period of fasting, repentance, moderation and spiritual discipline. The purpose is to set aside time for reflection on Jesus Christ - his suffering and his sacrifice, his life, death, burial and resurrection.
Not all Christian churches observe Lent. Lent is mostly observed by the Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian and Anglican denominations, and also by Roman Catholics. Eastern Orthodox churches observe Lent or Great Lent, during the 6 weeks or 40 days preceding Palm Sunday with fasting continuing during the Holy Week of Easter. Lent for Eastern Orthodox churches begins on Monday and Ash Wednesday is not observed.
The Bible does not mention the custom of Lent, however, the practice of repentance and mourning in ashes is found in 2 Samuel 13:19; Esther 4:1; Job 2:8; Daniel 9:3; and Matthew 11:21.

http://christianity.about.com/od/holidaytips/qt/whatislent.htm

divya

I do not observe Lent, as it is mainly a Catholic tradition and not biblical. My personal belief is that giving up those things that are non-beneficial and hinder spiritual growth in the Lord should not be temporary but permanent. Also, it should be something I strive to do continuously.

2 Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.