Let Us Not Hesitate ... Mighty Causes Are Calling Us

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
They Prayed, They Believed.... God Moved:

African American Prayers.... :rosebud:

W.E.B. Dubois

Give us grace, O God, to dare to do the deed which we well know cries to be done. Let us not hesitate because of ease, or the words of men’s mouths, or our own lives.

Mighty causes are calling us—the freeing of women, the training of children, the putting down of hate and murder and poverty—all these and more. But they call with voices that mean work and sacrifices and death.

Mercifully grant us, O God, the spirit of Esther, that we say: I will go unto the King and if I perish, I perish.

Sojourner Truth

Oh, God, you know I have no money, but you can make the people do for me, and you must make the people do for me. I will never give you peace till you do, God.

-----------
Harriet Tubman

I’m going to hold steady on You, an’ You’ve got to see me
through.

---------
Mary McLeod Bethune

Father, we call Thee Father because we love Thee. We are glad to be called Thy children, and to dedicate our lives to the service that extends through willing hearts and hands to the betterment of all mankind.

We send a cry of Thanksgiving for people of all races, creeds, classes, and colors the world over, and pray that
through the instrumentality of our lives the spirit of peace, joy, fellowship, and brotherhood shall circle the world.

We know that this world is filled with discordant notes, but help us, Father, to so unite our efforts that we may all join in one harmonious symphony for peace and brotherhood, justice, and equality of opportunity for all men.

The tasks performed today with forgiveness for all our errors, we dedicate, dear Lord, to Thee.

Grant us strength and courage and faith and humility sufficient or the tasks assigned to us.

-----

Duke Ellington

L
GOD
V
E

------------

Frederick Douglas

You are loosed from your moorings, and are free; I am fast in my chains and am a slave! You move merrily before the gentle gale and I sadly before the bloodywhip!

You are freedom’s swift-winged angels that fly round the world; I am confined in bands of iron! O that I were free! O, that I were on one of your gallant decks, and under your protecting wing! Alas!

Betwixt me and you, the turbid waters roll. Go on, go on. O that I could also go! Could I but swim! If I could fly! O, why was I born a man, of whom to make a brute! The glad ship is gone; she hides in the dim distance. I am left in the hottest hell of unending slavery.

O God, save me! God deliver me! Let me be free! Is there any God?

Why am I a slave? I will run away. I will not stand it. Get caught, or get clear. I’ll try it. I had as well die with ague as the fever. I have only one life to lose. I had as well be killed running as die standing. Only think of it; one hundred miles straight north, and I am free! Yes! God helping me, I will.

-------

Paul Lawrence Dunbar

O LORD, the hard-won miles
Have worn my stumbling feet:
Oh, soothe me with thy smiles,
And make my life complete.

The thorns were thick and keen
Where’er I trembling trod;
The way was long between
My wounded feet and God.

Where healing waters flow
Do thou my footsteps lead.
My heart is aching so;
Thy gracious balm I need.

---------

Mrs. Coretta Scott King

Eternal and everlasting God, who art the Father of all mankind, as we turn aside from the hurly-burly of everyday living, may our hearts and souls, yea our very spirits, be lifted upward to Thee, for it is from Thee that all blessing cometh.

Keep us ever mindful of our dependence upon Thee, for without Thee our efforts are but naught.

We pray for Thy divine guidance as we travel the highways of life. We pray for more courage. We pray for more faith and above all we pray for more love.

May we somehow come to understand the true meaning of Thy love as revealed to us in the life, death and resurrection of Thy son and our Lord and Master, Jesus Christ.

May the Cross ever remind us of Thy great love, for greater love no man hath given.

This is our supreme example, O God.

May we be constrained to follow in the name and spirit of Jesus, we pray.
------------

George Washington Carver

O God, I thank Thee for such direct manifestation of Thy goodness, majesty, and power!

----------

Dear Malcolm was not a Christian. If only his love for Jesus was this strong. Yet, I respect him from the 'heart' of a man dedicated to humanity.

Malcolm X

I submit to no one but Thee (Allah) _ _ _ _ _ _

I submit to no one but Thee.

I submit to Thee because Thou hast no partner.

All praise and blessings come from Thee, and

Thou art alone in Thy kingdom.

---------

I love these words.... "Thou art alone in Thy Kingdom"
And alone unto God, our Jesus to them I apply...

For God is and always was and always will be.

Selah....

Sashaa08

I really enjoyed reading those!!! I especially enjoyed Sojourner Truth and Harriet Tubman because for them to have that "won't let go till You bless me" faith in spite of the overwhelming circumstances is admirable.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I really enjoyed reading those!!! I especially enjoyed Sojourner Truth and Harriet Tubman because for them to have that "won't let go till You bless me" faith in spite of the overwhelming circumstances is admirable.

Sashaa08... Thank you.

I know (agree)... :yep: I love their prayers as well. It shows that they had such a strong relationship 'One on One' with God.

Back then... they didn't have a pinch of the advantages that we have today. I personally, can learn a lot from them. :yep:

ETA: Now, I have to 'find' the link where I copied these from.

Ohhhh boy... :blush3: