Let's Compile A List Of Little Known African Hair Care Remedies

Sheabutterboy

I will start

Camwood powder/oil
Camwood is a cleansing agent and a very popular ingredient in skin care products for both the face, body and hair growth.
It can aid in getting rid of pimples, eczema, skin discoloration, premature aging, and rashes.
It is known as African Sandalwood in English, Osun in Yoruba, Majidi in Hausa, Uhie in Igbo and Ekui in Cross Rivers
Camwood Oil benefits are many. It has lots of minerals, cicatrizing, vitamins, astringent, emollient, and antispasmodic.

Ambunu herb

Godsdaughter001

Chebe powder: African herb for hair growth can be used as a health-boosting treatment once or twice a week on the hair and it should not be applied on the scalp. Supposed to be good for hair retention; supposedly has a strong curry-like burnt smell. There is currently a challenge on this forum using this herb (as well as others). African women in Chad attribute this to their long hair growth.

Burdock oil: a hair growth oil made with powdered Burdock herbs.
Burdock root oil contains vitamin A, which helps nourish the scalp and strengthens hair. It is touted to be one of the best herbs for hair growth and thickness. In addition to promoting hair growth, burdock root oil helps with scalp irritation issues, dandruff, and itchy scalp.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Used the Ambunu Herb today. Steeped it with boiling water for 10 minutes.

I was able to finger detangle and cleanse my hair. It seems to be clarifying. My hair rinsed squeaky clean. I would only use it once a month as an alternative to shampoo. I don’t use shampoo on the regular so this is nice alternate to have.
I would advise to steep it then sieve it like it was flaxseeds. The herbs were all in the shower and clogging up the drain.

Sheabutterboy

Used the Ambunu Herb today. Steeped it with boiling water for 10 minutes.

I was able to finger detangle and cleanse my hair. It seems to be clarifying. My hair rinsed squeaky clean. I would only use it once a month as an alternative to shampoo. I don’t use shampoo on the regular so this is nice alternate to have.
I would advise to steep it then sieve it like it was flaxseeds. The herbs were all in the shower and clogging up the drain.

Ahh okay good to know, and in terms of finger detangling was it easier/faster? or just similar to other slippery substances.

Sheabutterboy

Palm wine rinses for hair
The iron and vitamin B complex found in palm wine are needed for a healthy skin, hair and nail. Iron is essential for the development, growth and functioning of some cells in our body. This property of palm wine makes it helpful in promoting wound healing by repairing our tissues and promoting the growth of healthy cells.

Sheabutterboy

Tiger nut milk

Consists of amino acids, flavonoids, minerals, sugars, and vitamins B, C and E, which come together and provide antioxidants and moisturizing properties to not only skin but also hair. Tiger nut milk’s primary benefits to hair are protection and moisture. With its solid source of magnesium, Tigernut milk helps women suffering from a magnesium deficiency, which can contribute to scalp hair loss. Tigernut milk helps to fortify hair and protect it against UV rays while making it softer.

Last edited:

Sheabutterboy

Abyssinian Oil

Abyssinian Oil is a new vegetable oil that is a light yellow color and fragrance free. It is produced from a very tall leafy plant in central Africa called the crambe abyssinica.

Benefits of Abyssinian Oil for hair
  • Abyssinian oil helps in detangling hair thus reducing the amount of hair loss during brushing as a result of excessive friction and force.
  • Regular use of Abyssinian oil is known to give hair that perfect glow and shine making your hair look healthy and manageable.
  • Since it is easily absorbed, Abyssinian oil strengthens hair and moisturizes it as well without causing damage like synthetic chemicals such as silicons do.
  • Because of its long chain unsaturated fatty acids and vitamins, Abyssinian oil helps soothe and boost protection of your scalp.
  • Abyssinian oil tames hair breakage and reduces split ends.
Conclusion
Abyssinian oil has proven to have far more benefits than most oils in the market today. This explain its rise in popularity and demand over the past decade or so. Given it contains Erucic acid, Linoleic acid, Stearic acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Vitamin B1 just to name a few, Abyssinian oil is the go to oil since it is best suited for nourishment of both skin and hair.

snoop

Abyssinian Oil

Abyssinian Oil is a new vegetable oil that is a light yellow color and fragrance free. It is produced from a very tall leafy plant in central Africa called the crambe abyssinica.

• Abyssinian oil helps in detangling hair thus reducing the amount of hair loss during brushing as a result of excessive friction and force.
  • Regular use of Abyssinian oil is known to give hair that perfect glow and shine making your hair look healthy and manageable.
  • Since it is easily absorbed, Abyssinian oil strengthens hair and moisturizes it as well without causing damage like synthetic chemicals such as silicons do.
  • Because of its long chain unsaturated fatty acids and vitamins, Abyssinian oil helps soothe and boost protection of your scalp.
Conclusion
Abyssinian oil has proven to have far more benefits than most oils in the market today. This explain its rise in popularity and demand over the past decade or so. Given it contains Erucic acid, Linoleic acid, Stearic acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Vitamin B1 just to name a few, Abyssinian oil is the go to oil since it is best suited for nourishment of both skin and hair.

I've been using this one in oil blends for LCO. I didn't realize that it had all of these wonderful properties.

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
From Angola:

Oleo de mumpeca (mumpeca oil): it smells kinda burned, it's also brown, but it's liquid. It reminds me so much of this product ==>>

31Q8rbTKU+L._AC_.jpg

Sheabutterboy

Fulani tribe Herbal beauty praicises, reference-http://oer.udusok.edu.ng:8080/xmlui/handle/123456789/737

PAW-PAW TREE This is a small tree, 4-6m high, with distinctive habit, the leave habit, the leave forming a crown at the top. Trunk is grayish, straight sometime branched, often winder at base, bearing, leaf scars, fibrous and more or less soft. The inner part of the trunk is hollow or contains a white pith the white flowers are used for soap

AFRICAN PEACH (Tuwon Biri) It can be eaten fresh or dried, the flower is used for powder making and also for soap

BATH SALTS The cheapest and easier method is to use coarse salts such as Epson sea salt, crush to a grainy size (dissolve easier) and add a few drop of a gentle essential oil such as rose, lavender or jasmine, stir and blend well, fill in a jar and allow macerating for a few days before use. Some people like to add food coloring to make it look more like the stuff you can buy at the store. The salt is used extensively as hair tonic and in hair styling

Cerathotheca sesamoides- Seasame- For washing hair(leaves)

Merremia tridentate- Yambururu- For hair growth (leaves)

Banana- Ayaba- For hair growth (dried banana peel)

Ficus sycomorus (Moraceae) -Bambara -Baure -Cream oil (seeds)

Lannea acida (Anacardiaceae) -Atinabateri Faru- Cream oil (seeds)

cravoecanela

Chebe powder: African herb for hair growth can be used as a health-boosting treatment once or twice a week on the hair and it should not be applied on the scalp. Supposed to be good for hair retention; supposedly has a strong curry-like burnt smell. There is currently a challenge on this forum using this herb (as well as others). African women in Chad attribute this to their long hair growth.

Burdock oil: a hair growth oil made with powdered Burdock herbs.
Burdock root oil contains vitamin A, which helps nourish the scalp and strengthens hair. It is touted to be one of the best herbs for hair growth and thickness. In addition to promoting hair growth, burdock root oil helps with scalp irritation issues, dandruff, and itchy scalp.

Did not know this about burdock oil ! I drink burdock root tea on the days leading up to my period. I wonder if the tea would have the same effect ?

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
Abyssinian Oil

Conclusion

I use this all the time for scalp especially the edges and the crown for many months now (ordered it last year, winter). And hair (length of it) but now I rediscovered shea butter (some days ago) and using tht again. May switch back as noticed skin is getting tingly with irritation again from proximity to shea. This was rare with the Abyssinian oil.

HAVE NOTICED NEW HAIRS SPROUTING OUT OF BOTH SCALP + EDGES. They have improved a lot. For
skin and scalp I use mixed with some (much less because more expensive) prickly pear oil.
(And then I started mixing camellia and grapeseed oil too, into that, more recently, think it worked better without them.)

I like it most on skin (including body, and on scalp) than on actual hair.

bzb1990

3b/3c. henna/cassia.
Fulani method (originally shared online by Jostylin):
(Have also seen this used by both my maids from S. India who had CURLY hair, but down to their waist; they braided it prior)
Silk scarf, wet it and either wet the scarf with oil OR (as per Jostylin's recommendation to someone) oil your hair instead, if leaving on overnight.
Wrap head with it.