Let's discuss: Dry Shampoo (Sprays/powders)

Victorian

old head
I'm planning ahead for my next straightening attempt, and in particular I'm trying to find tips on how to get the results to last. One thing that tends to be an issue for me is my hair feeling icky after a couple days. My scalp is used to everyday exposure to running water, and after a couple days of not washing, my scalp and hair are feeling pretty greasy.
SOOOOO....
I'm really considering getting some dry shampoo to use while I have my hair straightened. I've been looking on-line at my options and would like to hear from anyone who has tried dry shampoo or done their own dry cleansing at home with stuff from the kitchen (like flour or ground oatmeal and such).

Here are some examples:
Algemarin Dry Shampoo Spray

Klorane Extra Gentle Dry Shampoo with Oat Extract

Bumble and Bumble Hair Powder (in black--they have other colors too)

Sebastian Dry Clean Only Shampoo

Rene Furterer Naturia Dry Shampoo

Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo

More info for "kitchenticians":
From Hairboutique.com

Victorian

old head
Yes, I think it is especially supposed to be useful for oily scalp. You apply it and let it sit for a couple minutes and the powder absorbs the dirty oil from your hair, then you brush it out of your hair. It refreshes your hair so you can go longer without shampooing. A lot of the reviews and stuff I've been reading mention that it's really good for increasing body.

I think people with oilier hair tend to be more familiar with it, but it seems like a good option for those of us trying to get a blow out or press to last between shampoos.

Victorian

old head

*chirp*

*chirp*

Anyone? Dry shampoo?

StrawberryQueen

I'd be too afraid to use it. I wouldn't think my hair was getting clean, and I'm natural so the powder may go all through my hair and leave me a mess.

macherieamour

I sprinkle some baking soda on my roots and brush out. Get rid of the scent and oily feeling. It doesnt leave any residue. I then apply some moisturizer on my hair and ends (mostly for some scent)

jtsupanova

I have a recipe for dry shampoo on the hair recipe board
It is not a spray or powder but you might still want to check it out

cmw45

BlackCardinal said:
Yes, I think it is especially supposed to be useful for oily scalp. You apply it and let it sit for a couple minutes and the powder absorbs the dirty oil from your hair, then you brush it out of your hair. It refreshes your hair so you can go longer without shampooing. A lot of the reviews and stuff I've been reading mention that it's really good for increasing body.

I think people with oilier hair tend to be more familiar with it, but it seems like a good option for those of us trying to get a blow out or press to last between shampoos.

Humph...when I first read this I thought that it might be a good way to extend the life of cornrows, twists, or braids...but if you have to brush it out it seems like you can't really do this:(

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
What I used to use when I had a full sew in weave was Sea Breeze. I know its not a powder or spray, but it was very effective when I could not get my hair shampooed and I wanted to freshen and clean the scalp without washing.

Put it on a cotton ball, squeeze out the excess and swap your scalp. It was refreshing and nice.

tnorenberg

macherieamour said:
I sprinkle some baking soda on my roots and brush out. Get rid of the scent and oily feeling. It doesnt leave any residue. I then apply some moisturizer on my hair and ends (mostly for some scent)
When I had longer hair..................I used baby powder to hold me over. It was not really to clean, but to get rid of the greasies when you dont have time to shampoo. And I loved the smell of it too. HTH

pattycake0701

january noir said:
What I used to use when I had a full sew in weave was Sea Breeze. I know its not a powder or spray, but it was very effective when I could not get my hair shampooed and I wanted to freshen and clean the scalp without washing.

Put it on a cotton ball, squeeze out the excess and swap your scalp. It was refreshing and nice.

This is what I was going to suggest. However, I used good ole' witch hazel and a q-tip. A q-tip may allow you to be more precise so you don't get any liquid on your hair.

Victorian

old head
Thanks, ladies. I think I may try one of the homemade solutions. Some of those commercial dry shampoos seem a bit expensive for what is essentially glorified cornstarch :lol:

cmw45

I heard about the seabreeze before...but I couldn't find any...I know I can get my hands on some witch hazel so I'll probably try that. Thanks ladies.

C

Ms Lala

cmw45 said:
I heard about the seabreeze before...but I couldn't find any...I know I can get my hands on some witch hazel so I'll probably try that. Thanks ladies.

C

I usually get sea breeze from walmart, target, or cvs. Walmart also sells a store brand that works well and is cheaper.

laCriolla

just got some dry shampoo. but I miss the "just washed" clean smell!

what can you do to get the just washed clean smell, when you don't have time to wash?

chelleypie810

I used the oscar blandi one and I loved it, so did my mom and sister. My mom also just uses baby powder but its kinda hard to get out on black hair, you have to brush it through really well.

JJamiah

I use Herbal Cleanse Organic root stimulator brand Dry shampoo. It works pretty good, will use again next week. :)