3 = spirals
4 = very small spirals (aka, corkscrews), zig zag

The letter signifies the grade, so:

a = fine
b = medium
c = coarse, resistant

HTH.

Chichi :bdance:
I always saw it as.. 4a would be more like coils..a tighter corkscrew.. I consider myself a 3c..but my hair isn't coarse or resistant... but I'm not a 3a because my curls aren't "wide" enough.. but my hair is fine.. does that make sense? I mainly go by what's on naturallycurly's website...

CatSuga

1234????? ABC????? Andre, Lois?????
Crap, I'm still confused. Will some one just look at my hair and tell me what it is?

MeechUK

MeechUK
I think Andre's hair category is a little ambitious! When you look at all different races and the inter-racial mixtures, how can you type hair into 4 basic categories and sub-categories! If I didn't know better, I would think that my father was 4 different men! I have 4 different hair types! I really think that it would be better if we ladies established our own categories and grading. In particular black races can range from straight to very coarse and nappy.

Ayanapoo,
you may need to become a PJ to establish what works best for you! Don't take Andre's guide as gospel! A decent hairdresser can give a good analysis of your hair type and behaviour by keeping a close eye on it when styling.

Meechuk