Let's Get "Hair Healthy for 2007!!!!!!"

Nice & Wavy

Whilst there are many hair loss treatments available for hair loss and hair health, here are some home remedies that you can try. With some forms of hair loss, due to stress or poor nutrition, pharmaceutical treatments may not be necessary.
Aromatherapy has been used successfully by some people to treat thinning hair and bald patches. The aroma blend is massaged into the scalp for two minutes each night, and then the scalp is wrapped in a towel, to increase absorption of these oils.
The essential oils suitable for treating alopecia include ylang ylang, roman chamomile, rosemary, lemon, lavender, grapefruit, and bay. Try this blend of oils:
* 3 drops of lavender
* 3 drops of rosemary
* 2 drops of thyme
* 2 drops of Atlas cedar wood
You can't put essential oils directly onto the skin or scalp, they have to be mixed in a carrier oil. Use a half a teaspoon of jojoba oil and 4 teaspoons of grapeseed oil. Mix them all together and rub this mixture into your scalp for at least two minutes. Use a warm towel to wrap your head in afterwards. Not only does it feel relaxing, but it helps the oils absorb.
If you have thinning hair, chances are you need to address a nutritional imbalance. Increase these nutrients in your diet:
* Flaxseed - As well as providing support to all the cells in your body, flaxseed is rich in alpha linolenic acid, which is one of the Omega 3 fatty acids. This makes hair shine, and its also great for treating dandruff.
* Pumpkin seeds, oysters, and nuts - These are great food sources of zinc. Zinc is needed for strong hair and normal hair growth. It has the added benefit of being great for your brain and concentration.
* Cucumber and oats - These foods are fantastic sources of silica. Silica is important for hair health, and is used when hair splits easily, or starts to thin. Silica is also great for skin health - it's a real beauty mineral. If you don't want to eat a bowl of porridge in the morning, you can get silica supplements. Get the gel form as it is absorbed much more easily than the herbal varieties like horsetail.
* Edible Seaweed, parsley, tofu, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds - Iron is important in hair health, and these foods are rich in it. An iron deficiency causes hair loss. But if you're thinking of taking an iron supplement, get your iron levels tested by your doctor first as iron is a fat soluble vitamin which means that it is stored in your body. This can lead to a toxic build up if too much iron is taken in.
* Eggs, fish and chicken - Hair is made of protein. So, if you're deficient in protein, your hair health may be affected. These are good, healthy sources of protein.
* Brown rice, nuts and seeds - These are rich in the B vitamins. As well as being great for stress, the B vitamins strengthen the hair shaft. If you're going to take a B vitamin supplement, get a B complex rather than individual B vitamins as taking too much of one B vitamin can cause an imbalance in the rest of the group. The B vitamins work together synergistically.
* Leafy greens - Leafy greens, as well as having lots of other vitamins, are rich in folic acid. Folic acid is a type of B vitamin.

Nice & Wavy

Healthy Hair Minerals
  • Calcium - Essential for healthy hair growth. Food sources: Dairy, tofu, fish, nuts, brewer's yeast, beans, lentils and sesame seeds. Daily dose: Up to 1,500 mg. Warnings: Too much calcium can inhibit the absorption of zinc and iron; An acid found in chocolate can inhibit calcium absorption.
  • Chromium - Helps prevent hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia, both of which can cause hair loss.. Food sources: Brewer's yeast, liver, beef and whole wheat bread. Daily dose: Up to 120 mg. Warnings: People who are allergic to yeast should not take chromium supplements.
  • Copper - Helps prevent hair loss as well as defects in hair color and structure. Food sources: Shellfish, liver, green vegetables, whole grains, eggs, chicken and beans. Daily dose: Up to 3 mg. Warnings: High levels can lead to dry hair, hair loss and severe health problems.
  • Iodine - Helps regulate thyroid hormones and prevents dry hair and hair loss. Food sources: Fish, seaweed, kelp, iodized salt, garlic. Daily dose: 150 mcg.
  • Iron - Prevents anemia and hair loss. Food sources: Liver, eggs, fish, chicken, whole grains, green vegetables and dried fruits. Daily dose: 15 mg. Warnings: Too much can lead to malfunctions of the liver and spleen.
  • Magnesium - Works with calcium to promote healthy hair growth. Food sources: Green vegetables, wheat germ, whole grains, nuts, soy beans, chickpeas and fish. Daily dose: 280 mg.
  • Manganese - Prevents slow hair growth. Food sources: Whole grain cereals, eggs, avocados, nuts, seeds, beans, peas, fish, meat and chicken. Daily dose: 3-9 mg.
  • Potassium - Regulates circulation and promotes healthy hair growth. Food sources: Avocados, bananas, lima beans, brown rice, dates, figs, dried fruit, garlic, nuts, potatoes, raisins, yams and yogurt. Daily dose: 3,500 mg.
  • Selenium - Keeps skin and scalp supple and elastic. Food souces: Brewer's yeast, meat, fish, grains, tuna and broccoli. Daily dose: 55 mcg. Warnings: An excess of Selenium can be toxic, leading to the loss of hair, nails and teeth.
  • Silica - Strengthens hair and prevents hair loss. Food sources: Seafood, rice, soybeans, green vegetables. Daily dose: 55 mcg.
  • Sulfur (methyl-sulfonyl-methane or MSM) - Sulfur is a main component to hair's structure. Food sources: Onions, garlic, eggs, asparagus, meat, fish and dairy products. Daily dose: 1-3 g.
  • Zinc - Zinc and Vitamin A work together; a deficiency in either can lead to dry hair and oily skin. Food sources: Spinach, sunflower seeds, mushrooms, whole grains, red meat and brewer's yeast. Daily dose: 12 mg. Warnings: Too much can interfere with iron absorption.

Nice & Wavy

tishee said:
awesome post Nice & Wavy!

Thank you, tishee....when I read this I was like :eek: ! There are so many things that we take and then counteract it with other things so that it doesn't work properly or can cause problems. We certainly don't want that so we really do need to find out what we are taking and how it will help or hurt us. Education is very important!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Thanks for posting this great information! I've been wanting to try that oil blend for my thin spot. Maybe I will finally purchase these oils and try it out.

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
I saw this thread title, and I was shocked. This is my goal for 2007 already.
Thanks so much for all this info Nice & Wavy! This thread is a keeper.

In addition to drinking more water and taking vitamins regularly, I must to eat more:

- Eggs, fish and chicken
- Leafy greens
- Oatmeal or farina (instead of the bagel)

KhandiB

My goal as well, just healthy hair, no matter the length :D

I need to be doing this stuff anyways...

I will supplement more with food than pills , but I will use alot of this in my life next year

MonaRae

I am trying not to join too many challenge this year but this one I really can't pass up! I am all the way down with this!

MonaRae

Nice & Wavy

MonaRae said:
I am trying not to join too many challenge this year but this one I really can't pass up! I am all the way down with this!

MonaRae

Well, this is going to be an ongoing challenge because we need to do this on a regular basis. Glad to know that you want to have healthier hair like me!!!

aprilj

Great post Nice & Wavy. You can count me in as well. I've been working on getting my hair in a much more healthier state and with the info that you've provided I know that I can reach my goals. Thanks for the info ;) .

Nice & Wavy

aprilj said:
Great post Nice & Wavy. You can count me in as well. I've been working on getting my hair in a much more healthier state and with the info that you've provided I know that I can reach my goals. Thanks for the info ;) .

U R welcome, aprilj!!!:p

KenyafromCT

This is a wonderful reminder. I had been doing so well with my intake of quality foods all year!!!

I’ve slacked off in the past few weeks. A healthy diet is incredibly vital for hair health. Hair/nails are the last things on the list to receive the nutrients that we consume. Crap diet = Crap hair/nails. I definitely speak from experience. Cuz this girl loves junk. :crybaby: