Let's Play Type My Hair....

Daina

Hi Ladies,

I am anxiously awaiting my hair analysis kit from Komaza and since I decided to WNG's this week I thought it might be fun to test our knowledge on hair type against the experts. Hopefully my pics show enough! What hair type would you say I am based in the pictures?

Attachments

• 20160119_070437.jpg
    20160119_070437.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 20160119_070437.jpg
    20160119_070437.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 20160119_070430.jpg
    20160119_070430.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 20160119_070026.jpg
    20160119_070026.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 97

Daina

@BronxJazzy , you have such pretty curls I wish mine had more curl and less wave! I am so bad at typing which is part of the reason I decided to get the hair analysis but I would say your about a 3c? By the way is asking hair typing questions on this board a "no-no"? I'm still fairly new so didn't know folks might not like it.

VictoriousBrownFlower

Thanks... Your hair is beautiful as is. The grass is always greener on the other side.

I don't know if it's a no-no or not. I always got the feeling people didn't like answering the question. I think it's because there was a time a lot of people would ask all the time.

VictoriousBrownFlower

Thanks a lot for all your imput. I know that I can look at pics or vids to get an idea but I always wanted to ask because others see your hair differently than you do. It doesn't really matter but it's interesting to see the different views people have about what your hair looks like to them.

Daina

Thanks a lot for all your imput. I know that I can look at pics or vids to get an idea but I always wanted to ask because others see your hair differently than you do. It doesn't really matter but it's interesting to see the different views people have about what your hair looks like to them.

Yes I agree which is why I posted, I've been looking at my own hair for over 4 decades and still trying to "get it right"! I'll let you know what the Komaza analysis reveals.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Hi Ladies,

I am anxiously awaiting my hair analysis kit from Komaza and since I decided to WNG's this week I thought it might be fun to test our knowledge on hair type against the experts. Hopefully my pics show enough! What hair type would you say I am based in the pictures?
Yours is exactly like my daughter's which I call a silky (meaning low frizzy) type 2- 3a.

almond eyes

I think that yes overall, from looking at pictures it can be easy to quickly type the hair. But curly and afro hair is so complex. I explained a few weeks ago, I did a genetic test on my mother a two years ago and they expanded the feature to explore other issues such as hair type and it showed that my mother had four types of hair textures on her hair with slightly wavy, wavy and straight strands being the predominate hair strands on her head. I think when black people say they have straight strands people get very upset saying no it can't be. But even within the straight haired community there are fine strands, coarse strands etc. My mother's straight strands are not fine or feathery like white peoples hair they are like wires.
I think it is much more important to know whether your hair is fine or thick/coarse and what is the predominate curl pattern of your hair. And if Komaza can one day tell customers their percentages of hair textures that would help a lot more because then one would know what really can work for your hair or not.

I know that sounds way more complex than what you want to know. But okay, your hair looks like it has 3s and 2s based on the often used but misleading hair chart. I suspect you have very little tight curls and majority slightly wavy and wavy hair strands and a tiny percentage of fine straight strands in there.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Daina

I think that yes overall, from looking at pictures it can be easy to quickly type the hair. But curly and afro hair is so complex. I explained a few weeks ago, I did a genetic test on my mother a two years ago and they expanded the feature to explore other issues such as hair type and it showed that my mother had four types of hair textures on her hair with slightly wavy, wavy and straight strands being the predominate hair strands on her head. I think when black people say they have straight strands people get very upset saying no it can't be. But even within the straight haired community there are fine strands, coarse strands etc. My mother's straight strands are not fine or feathery like white peoples hair they are like wires.
I think it is much more important to know whether your hair is fine or thick/coarse and what is the predominate curl pattern of your hair. And if Komaza can one day tell customers their percentages of hair textures that would help a lot more because then one would know what really can work for your hair or not.

I know that sounds way more complex than what you want to know. But okay, your hair looks like it has 3s and 2s based on the often used but misleading hair chart. I suspect you have very little tight curls and majority slightly wavy and wavy hair strands and a tiny percentage of fine straight strands in there.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Thanks Almond Eyes what you say makes sense. My hair has definitely thinned over the years and has become finer, I used to have very thick hair with lots of strands per follicle. I've always had a wavy texture but life, stress, heat damage and a pregnancy have changed my hair thickness quite a bit. I'm hoping they can recommend some treatments/products to help thicken my hair up more.

Daina

Yours is exactly like my daughter's which I call a silky (meaning low frizzy) type 2- 3a.

@DarkJoy , it can be silky but I can also be a frizzy hot mess when I use the wrong products. As evidenced by my recent run in with Miss Jessie's curly buttercreme, needless to say that did not end well at all...:mad:

toaster

Maybe the scalp comment is referring to possible heat damage? There are several strands that appear more curly towards the root and straighten out at the bottom.

OP do you heat style often?

Daina

@toaster, for the last 3 months I've only used heat once. Prior to that I used heat probably 3 times per month as I co-wash weekly and the 4th week I would do a WNG or twist/braid out.