Let's talk about Christian books

BeautifulRoots

I posted this in another thread about books already, but had to put my two cents into this thread too...lol

True Discipleship by William Macdonald
Secrets to the Secret place by Bob Sorge
Captivating by Stasi and John Eldridge (really great book for women...I cried a few times)
Envy by Bob Sorge
Crazy Love by Francis Chan

All five are amazing books! HIGHLY recommend them!! :)

topsyturvy86

I posted this in another thread about books already, but had to put my two cents into this thread too...lol

True Discipleship by William Macdonald
Secrets to the Secret place by Bob Sorge
Captivating by Stasi and John Eldridge (really great book for women...I cried a few times)
Envy by Bob Sorge
Crazy Love by Francis Chan

All five are amazing books! HIGHLY recommend them!! :)

We did chapters of secrets of the secret place in fellowship last year! Really good book :yep:. You might want to try "the relationship principles of Jesus" by Tom Holladay if you like study books.

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies
There is this book, I forgot the title, about a man who was dead for nine minutes then came back to life.

cookie1

I've gotten into Christian fiction and I'm really loving it. Karen Kingsbury writes GREAT books and there's always a message behind her fictional characters. She have a gift and it gets you thinking about your walk with Christ. I'm talking true page turners.

HeChangedMyName

I just bought a book a couple of days ago by Sandi Freed called "Breaking the Threefold Demonic Cord: How to Discern and Defeat the Lies of Jezebel, Athaliah and Delilah"

It is a great informational book. I'm about 3/4 finished. It demonstrates the characteristics of Jezebel, Athaliah(Jazebel's daughter) and Delilah.

I'm just starting on Delilah, BUT the information on recognizing the other two are like whoa!.

It has made me recognize some characteristics in others as well as in myself that I need to get a hold off and get rid of. I've highlighted it allll up.

NaturalPath

Ive read the kids & adult series of Left Behind
Ive also read many other books by the authors who wrote left behind including one about the antichrist..etc

I have been meaning to read The Shack I have the book at home

Butterfly08

Fiction: Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers (**warning once you start reading you will not be able to put it down. seriously.)

OMG....THIS BOOK IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!! :lick:

I know a lot of people who have read this book and loved it. They say all her books are really good.

I'm not in the right frame of mind right now to read something like this.:rolleyes:

I understand, I'm only about 5 chapters in and the tears have already been flowing. :cry:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I know a lot of people who have read this book and loved it. They say all her books are really good.

I'm not in the right frame of mind right now to read something like this.:rolleyes:
Why not? What's in this book that makes you feel this way?

Last edited:

Kindheart

Fiction books i really enjoyed reading :
Truth Be Told by Victoria Christopher Murray
the Jasmine saga (A sin and A Shame,Too Little too Late,Lady Jasmine,The Sin of the Mother) and Grown Folks Business by the same author,I highly reccomend this author as she explores real life issues without being preachy or boring ,her novels are highly entertaining and well written.
Speak to /my Heart :Adams :Good read
Cover Girls _TD Jakes I liked it alot
i ve read others but caNT remember the titles at the moment :drunk:
Non Fiction books (apart from the ones i ve already mentioned in the other post)
7 things that Steal your Joy _Joyce Meyer
How to Hear from God _Joyce Meyer (MY FAVORITE )
The 5 love Languages _
The 5 love Children s Love Language
The Covenant Marriage
All by Gary Chapman ( ABSOLUTLEY LOVE THIS AUTHOR he s not preachy and give precious realistic advice )
The Power of a praying Wife _Stormie O Martian

Vonnieluvs08

Why not? What's in this book that makes you feel this way?

Just the fact that its this really good love story and right now I think it may only depress me more than up lift me. That it may have me more upset with why can't this be me and the like. I rather not have a negative perspective about my season of life right now and trust that this is where God has me for a reason. That when its my time to be in love with someone other than Jesus then a book like this will be for me. IMHO.

topsyturvy86

Fiction: Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers (**warning once you start reading you will not be able to put it down. seriously.)

My friend bought me this book for my birthday which was a few weeks ago! Started last week and haven't been able to put it down. It's sooo good. I also recommend it!

PinkPebbles

I'm half way through this book and thus far it's an awesome read!

How People Grow: What the Bible Reveals about Personal Growth by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend

PinkPebbles

I'd like to add another one to the list!

Love and Respect: The Love She Most Desires; The Respect He Desperately Needs by Emerson Eggerichs

Sarophina

Books I've read most recently and really liked were:

Non-Fiction
Emotional Purity- Heather Arnel Paulsen (did this in a singles book club & it changed my way of thinking)
Singleness Redefined-Carolyn Leutwiler ( really like the book and style of writing very modern)
Lord I Want To Know You (devotional study on the names of God)- Kay Arthur (doing this in my discipleship class very informative and insightful)
Disciplines of a Godly Woman- Barbara Hughes (our Women's Ministry is doing this for a book club & love it)

Fiction
Yada Yada Prayer Group-Book 1 &2- Neta Jackson

Books I'm in the process of reading or have to read soon

Non-Fiction
The Emotionally Healthy Church (updated & expanded edition)-Peter Scazzero (reading this in my disciple class)
A Praying Life- Paul E. Miller (recommended by a friend)
My Utmost For His Highest (devotional) Oswald Chambers
Joy (on the go devotional)- Lydia Brownback
Contentment (on the go devotional)-Lydia Brownback
When Sinners Say I Do (for a later date-it was 50% off)

Fiction
Ain't No Mountain- Sharon Ewell Foster
Ain't No Valley- Sharon Ewell Foster

I read most of the Left Behind Books in college. I may go back and reread them as well as the newer ones to see how it all came together. I never saw the movies may have to find them at Blockbuster.

Ps. I love to read:grin:

Emotional Purity is an awesome book!!!!!!! I love it.

Some of my other favorites are::sunshine:

The Lost Art of True Beauty- (by Leslie Ludy) This one of my all time favorite books and Christian author's. She talks about the beauty of a selfless woman who demonstrates honor and respect to everyone around her. I have really changed by reading this book. It's about showcasing Christ's beauty in all areas of our life.

Humility-The Beauty of Holiness- (by Andrew Murray) This is definitely my favorite book. There is definitely a lack of humility in the church today, myself included. Andrew was a missionary and someone who valued humility above all else. Only through humility can we truly walk closely with God and receive spiritual gifts.

Passion and Purity- (by Elisabeth Elliot) This is a great book on God's model for relationships. God's design is not for women to pursue! Beautiful book based on a beautiful relationship between Jim and Elisabeth Elliot.

Revolution in World Ministries
- (by K.P. Yohannan) This book is FREE!
Here's the link Free Christian Book - Revolution in World Missions - Gospel for Asia
This book is absolutely wonderful and convicting. K.P. is the founder of Gospel for Asia. A missionary organization that supports "home" missionaries in Asia. He convicted me on my selfish American ways and lead me to see the importance of God's work in Asia.

I Kissed Dating Goodbye/ Boy Meets Girl-Say Hello to Courtship
both by Joshua Harris
Both book's changed my ideas about dating. IKDG is perfect for those contemplating modern dating, I know when I first got saved, I knew there had to be a better way than dating. IKDG is perfect and awe-inspiring.
BMG-SHTC is also a wonderful book. I haven't had the chance to say hello to courtship yet :lol: lol but this book prepares me for when that time comes.

Fiction-
Hinds Feet on High Places-(by Hannah Hurnard) This is a wonderful allegorical story about "Much Afraid" and her journey into the Lord's "high places"

topsyturvy86

The Lost Art of True Beauty- (by Leslie Ludy) This one of my all time favorite books and Christian author's. She talks about the beauty of a selfless woman who demonstrates honor and respect to everyone around her. I have really changed by reading this book. It's about showcasing Christ's beauty in all areas of our life.

Humility-The Beauty of Holiness- (by Andrew Murray) This is definitely my favorite book. There is definitely a lack of humility in the church today, myself included. Andrew was a missionary and someone who valued humility above all else. Only through humility can we truly walk closely with God and receive spiritual gifts.

Passion and Purity- (by Elisabeth Elliot) This is a great book on God's model for relationships. God's design is not for women to pursue! Beautiful book based on a beautiful relationship between Jim and Elisabeth Elliot.

Revolution in World Ministries- (by K.P. Yohannan) This book is FREE!
Here's the link Free Christian Book - Revolution in World Missions - Gospel for Asia
This book is absolutely wonderful and convicting. K.P. is the founder of Gospel for Asia. A missionary organization that supports "home" missionaries in Asia. He convicted me on my selfish American ways and lead me to see the importance of God's work in Asia.

I Kissed Dating Goodbye/ Boy Meets Girl-Say Hello to Courtship both by Joshua Harris
Both book's changed my ideas about dating. IKDG is perfect for those contemplating modern dating, I know when I first got saved, I knew there had to be a better way than dating. IKDG is perfect and awe-inspiring.
BMG-SHTC is also a wonderful book. I haven't had the chance to say hello to courtship yet :lol: lol but this book prepares me for when that time comes.

Fiction-
Hinds Feet on High Places-(by Hannah Hurnard) This is a wonderful allegorical story about "Much Afraid" and her journey into the Lord's "high places"

Thanks for the recommendations, i'm buying 'the lost art of true beauty' now. When I get paid next week, i'll buy passion a purity :drunk:

momi

Revolution in World Ministries- (by K.P. Yohannan) This book is FREE!

I Kissed Dating Goodbye/ Boy Meets Girl-Say Hello to Courtship both by Joshua Harris

Fiction-

Thanks for the rec's - plan to pick these up!

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
This is an old book but I'm about to buy/borrow it to read.. has anyone read it?

Betty J. Eadie, "Embraced by the Light"

I've been told it's by a Christian woman who shares her experience while in heaven after she died & was revived. She says that while there she witnessed that heaven was full of people who never "chose", so never did. The ones that did were warrior spirits who knew the risk of possibly not returning. She also says when she was there, it's as if she *knew* she was there before and had returned home, an enhanced consciousness.

topsyturvy86

^^ Haven't read it. Let us know if it's any good when you're done ok? I was reading a similar one called 'the vision'. Very powerful.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
^^ have not bought that book yet. :(

Was at a closing Border's yesterday, and bought "The Importance of Being Foolish" by Brennan Manning

Started it last night. Maaaaan...that's not for the easily offended. But I'm glad to have picked it up. It's soul-stirring and keeping me on my toes about self-deception and self-examination. Had to check myself. Good read, so far! Has anyone ready any of his works?

miss cosmic

wow, thanks everyone for the recommendations.

some exciting 'christian fiction':
be warned, these are NOTHING like karen kingsbury (of whose books i have read only one and vowed never to try again), who almost succeeded in turning me off anything labelled 'christian fiction' for life.

ted dekker (esp 'the circle' trilogy)
frank e. perretti (esp 'the oath' , 'piercing the darkness' and 'this present darkness'.)

InVue

Simple Life Lover
Praying God's Will for Your Life by Stormie Omartian

My favorite Foxe's Book Of Martyrs by John Foxe I read this book many years ago. It changed my spiritual life.

LucieLoo12

My favorite Foxe's Book Of Martyrs by John Foxe I read this book many years ago. It changed my spiritual life.

I read this book! So good! It made my problems seem soooo small...

Also "Totured for Christ" is awesome!

InVue

Simple Life Lover
Yes I know what you mean. Reading what the Early Church went through made my little trials seem petty. I actually looked at being a Christian in a different light.

I'm going to read the book you recommended.

If anyone is interested in the study of Early Christian writers. This link has lots of info. I was a little taken aback by the Writings of Tertullian: Particularly his reference to women of that time.

GulfCoastChica

Non Fiction:
Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire by Jim Cymbala
Intercessory Prayer by Dutch Sheets

I started reading this book the other day and literally cannot stop. Great suggestion!!!