Lets Talk about Crochet Braids.....

LightEyedMami

Lets Talk about Crochet Braids......

Ok so my hair has been going through a hard time lately, and i think its because i manipulate it to much, So my plan is to rock crochet braids for a while (i have done them once before). How do take care of your hair underneathe crochet braids (i will wear them 4-6 weeks) at a time and i don't want to neglect my hair in that time. Also do you feel you retain well with crochet braids?...any advice is appreciated ladies.

**side note my hair will be in a sew in/ crochet style**

Last edited:

Krystle~Hime

Every night, I spritz my hair and apply my conditioner on the hair left out. (perimeter)
Every other day, I put oil on scalp with an applicator botltle then massaging 10 minutes.
I just did a shampooing yesterday after 4 weeks wearing the cornrows/crochet braids.

I think I can wear that protective style for 2 weeks again (total 6 weeks).
And I hope I've retained at least one inch lol. I mean hair is in cornrows and it's hidden. and I didn't give up my hair underneath so..

SkySurfer

Girl, i love, crochet braids are basically my only PS now.
I spritz with diluted s-curl or a mix of water and oil once every day.
I wash every 2 weeks..

I generally keep them in 3-4 weeks...but i wanna go for a bit more time this time.
I have seen so much retention from crochet braids...i suffere greatly from hand in hair syndrome..so this keeps damaging manipulation to a minimum.

Right now i have in freetress brazilian braid hair, but i usually weave the water wave.

LightEyedMami

Girl, i love, crochet braids are basically my only PS now.
I spritz with diluted s-curl or a mix of water and oil once every day.
I wash every 2 weeks..

I generally keep them in 3-4 weeks...but i wanna go for a bit more time this time.
I have seen so much retention from crochet braids...i suffere greatly from hand in hair syndrome..so this keeps damaging manipulation to a minimum.

Right now i have in freetress brazilian braid hair, but i usually weave the water wave.
@SkySurfer YAY!! thats great to hear im not the only one, i plan to do this, (and sengalese twists if i can learn how to do them right :ohwell:) as my main protective styles for the rest of the year (possibly next year also), i seriously need to weave it up right now, because the manipulation has stopped my progress.....when you wash how do you it?...im scared of "mildewing" my hair underneathe.

Last edited:

LightEyedMami

Every night, I spritz my hair and apply my conditioner on the hair left out. (perimeter)
Every other day, I put oil on scalp with an applicator botltle then massaging 10 minutes.
I just did a shampooing yesterday after 4 weeks wearing the cornrows/crochet braids.

I think I can wear that protective style for 2 weeks again (total 6 weeks).
And I hope I've retained at least one inch lol. I mean hair is in cornrows and it's hidden. and I didn't give up my hair underneath so..
@Krystle~Hime Do you deep condition in them (is that possible?)...or do you feel your hair is more moist under the weave, thus you can get away with just moisterizing?..

Last edited:

SexySin985

I am years late on crochet braids:lol:. I just discovered them a few weeks ago and ever since I've been watching YT diy tutorials. I plan to do some very soon so this thread is right on time:grin:

LightEyedMami

I am years late on crochet braids:lol:. I just discovered them a few weeks ago and ever since I've been watching YT diy tutorials. I plan to do some very soon so this thread is right on time:grin:
:lol: well don't feel too bad, i did them only 1 time and that was like a year ago, so i was late too :lachen:.

SexySin985

Ladies, pics of your crochet braids would be great. I will be sure to post mine whenever I find the time to do them:yep:

SkySurfer

@SkySurfer YAY!! thats great to hear im not the only one, i plan to do this, (and sengalese twists if i can learn how to do them right :ohwell:) as my main protective styles for the rest of the year (possibly next year also), i seriously need to weave it up right now, because the manipulation has stopped my progress.....when you wash how do you it?...im scared of "mildewing" my hair underneathe.

I dilute the shampoo very heavily (so that you basically just have sudsy water) I alternate between co-washing and shampoo washing because my hair can get quite dry after. I also DC afterwards using diluted deep conditioner (ORS replenishing conditioner)
I wash in the morning to make sure that the braids dry by the evening, or if i wash later (which isn't often) i dry with the blow dryer on cool/medium.

I love senegalese twists too, so i alternate between the two.

Hope that helps! I also would say to use a moisturising shampoo rather than a clarifying shampoo, as the latter may be too stripping for the hair. :)

SimFio

i bought 2 packs of Ikon human hair hybrid wet and wavy. Had big plans to install in this crochet style. BUt the hair is so silky and soft and smooth that no matter how many knots i make, it wont stay tight. How do I get this silky hair to stay in???? Advice needed por favor!

LightEyedMami

i bought 2 packs of Ikon human hair hybrid wet and wavy. Had big plans to install in this crochet style. BUt the hair is so silky and soft and smooth that no matter how many knots i make, it wont stay tight. How do I get this silky hair to stay in???? Advice needed por favor!

SimFio I think thats the problem, from what i have seen, Crochet is usually done with Synthetic Course/Curly Hair or Kanekelon Hair, because they are course enough to hold the style. The ONE girl i saw on youtube use straight hair that wasn't kanekelon, was still a synthetic hair. Maybe the ladies can give some advice on this??

SimFio

SimFio I think thats the problem, from what i have seen, Crochet is usually done with Synthetic Course/Curly Hair or Kanekelon Hair, because they are course enough to hold the style. The ONE girl i saw on youtube use straight hair that wasn't kanekelon, was still a synthetic hair. Maybe the ladies can give some advice on this??

Yeh I was starting to think that myself. I did crochet with Afro Bulk and that came out great! But I was trying to do a style that I could leave out...like a weave...like how everyone else does it! Sigh...now I have 2 packs of fairly pricey Hybrid Human Hair that I dont know what to do with...

GAH!!!

angellike

@SimFio i saw this one lady on youtube who used human hair for crochets, now i would NOT do this lol, but she dabbed a dot of nail/super glue onto the knot for it to stay. http://youtu.be/wRA9FBCosd0

Also what method of knotting are you using, have you tried this method? http://youtu.be/GmN1tuXBDzA?t=5m14s
i love her videos!
if you use tiny sections of hair it might stay, but i have never tried using human hair but i may one day.

Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Ya'll ain't late! I'm late! This is the first I heard of crochet braids!

OMG...

How long does install take you for those that self-install and remove?? Does the hair snap and pull as you're taking them down?

Honey Bee

I'm late too. I mean, I've heard of them, but never looked into it. I don't usually ps (bc my hair is so fine I end up damaging it), but I'm willing to try this.

Paging BlackMasterPiece, I remember she had a thread about her self-install.

SimFio

[/QUOTE] Also what method of knotting are you using, have you tried this method? http://youtu.be/GmN1tuXBDzA?t=5m14s
i love her videos!
if you use tiny sections of hair it might stay, but i have never tried using human hair but i may one day.[/QUOTE]

This is the best video ever!!! Ok as soon as I get home tomorrow from work I'll go at it again. I was about to break down and throw some individual braids along the edges with the hair i bought, and buy a track and sew it in the middle. But I'm going to give this crochet one more shot. I'd try the nail glue method but knowing me I'd glue my hair to my scalp.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I wore Crochet Braids back in 2010. I need to get back on it. Might do me a set in September and keep them in for 4 weeks if I can.

LightEyedMami

Ya'll ain't late! I'm late! This is the first I heard of crochet braids!

OMG...

How long does install take you for those that self-install and remove?? Does the hair snap and pull as you're taking them down?
:blush:......:lol:, Now i don't feel soo bad. Well great then we can all learn together...:yep:

LightEyedMami

Ok, QUESTION: ...Who uses witch hazel on their scalp?, do you follow with a water rinse?...Does it dry your hair AT ALL?...because i would like to keep my scalp clean during the install BUT i don't want my hair getting any drier than it already is.

AFashionSlave

I've never had crochet braids, but I had crochet locs once and I LOVED THEM!
It only took my beautician 3 hours to braid my hair and sew in the locs.

I would spray my scalp with water with a little conditioner mixed in. I used a squeeze bottle with diluted shampoo when it was time to cleanse.

I hate braid sprays because they make my scalp itch.

Here's are a couple of pics of my crochet locs.

Attachments

• dreadssideviewjuly9-vi.jpg
    dreadssideviewjuly9-vi.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 484
  • me2-vi.jpg
    me2-vi.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 467

TheNDofUO

Freshly done (by me!)

A few weeks later. (I developed a cutting addiction)

jamaicanadian

I’m currently rocking crochet braids that I did myself. I discovered the style while reading BlackMasterPiece blog. At first I though the style looked too complicated for me to execute on myself, but after watching a few yt tutorials on how to install them and take them down I realized it was actually easier than it looked.

I first tried them when I grew tired of wearing weaves but hadn’t gotten comfortable wearing wigs yet. It’s a great summer protective style because it allows the scalp to breathe unlike weaves. The only con I can think of is not being able to cleanse my hair while wearing the style because of the poor quality of the synthetic hair used, so I tend not leave the style in no longer than 4 weeks.

In the first pic I used freetress water wave bulk hair which isn’t that great in all honesty. In the second pic I used model model glance soft water wave hair which specifically says for crochet braids on the package. The model model hair was much better in my opinion. HTH!

Attachments

• IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 553
  • 100_0177.jpg
    100_0177.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 658

LightEyedMami

Beautiful pics ladies!!....Ya'll did great!....and i never heard of crochet locs!!!...Thats really good to know, in case i ever wanna try em out :yep:.....

OhTall1

Subbing...
I plan to do my BC sometime this fall, and I was considering yarn braids until I came across another crochet braid thread. This seems like it may be a lot easier for a self install than yarn.