Lets Talk about Crochet Braids.....

hair4today

I’m currently rocking crochet braids that I did myself. I discovered the style while reading BlackMasterPiece blog. At first I though the style looked too complicated for me to execute on myself, but after watching a few yt tutorials on how to install them and take them down I realized it was actually easier than it looked.

I first tried them when I grew tired of wearing weaves but hadn’t gotten comfortable wearing wigs yet. It’s a great summer protective style because it allows the scalp to breathe unlike weaves. The only con I can think of is not being able to cleanse my hair while wearing the style because of the poor quality of the synthetic hair used, so I tend not leave the style in no longer than 4 weeks.

In the first pic I used freetress water wave bulk hair which isn’t that great in all honesty. In the second pic I used model model glance soft water wave hair which specifically says for crochet braids on the package. The model model hair was much better in my opinion. HTH!
OP thanks for this thread. I was trying to decide on my winter protective style and was at a loss. After seeing these lovely pics and the many positives mentioned, I think crochet braids would be perfect. jamaicanadian, can I ask who did your braids, they look amazing? Not sure where you are but I live in Toronto and would love to get these done. I'm hoping you (or any other who lives in Canada) can recommend someone in the Toronto area who can do a crochet install for me. TIA.

OhTall1

I had some installed yesterday. I tried to do them myself earlier this month, and I just couldn't get the cornrows right.

I used Freetress Bohemian in 1b and 1b/30, and it took less than 2 packs of hair.

Attachments

• bohemian.jpg
    bohemian.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 358

Funmiloves

I love crochet braids! I'll definitely post pictures of my next install once done. Most of the time, I use afro kinky hair and would co-wash 2x weekly and spray my cornrows with my s-curl/ aloe vera juice mix

Funmiloves

As promised, my current install of crochet braids. The pic in the purple top was when I had just finished installing them. The pics in the blue top was after the first co-wash.

Attachments

• IMAG2211.jpg
    IMAG2211.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 474
  • IMAG2215.jpg
    IMAG2215.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 363
  • IMAG2223.jpg
    IMAG2223.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 319
  • IMAG2224.jpg
    IMAG2224.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 310

OhTall1

I'm taking down my first set this Thursday so I can get crochet braids installed again on Friday. Any words of wisdom or tips I should know about before I take them out?

LightEyedMami

I had some installed yesterday. I tried to do them myself earlier this month, and I just couldn't get the cornrows right.

I used Freetress Bohemian in 1b and 1b/30, and it took less than 2 packs of hair.
I LOVE the freetress bohemian, i got so many compliments...i will add a couple pics this week.

As promised, my current install of crochet braids. The pic in the purple top was when I had just finished installing them. The pics in the blue top was after the first co-wash.
OMG...soooooo natural looking, great job!!!

I'm taking down my first set this Thursday so I can get crochet braids installed again on Friday. Any words of wisdom or tips I should know about before I take them out?
Handle har carefully, hair under any install is more prone to breakage....so grab some conditioner and make sure you have a good amount of freetime to do it so you dont start "yanking" out of impatience :yep:

LightEyedMami

I need to learn how ya'll DC in crochet sets (mine was a part sew-in as well), because my hair was DRYYYY during take down.....

tallnomad

I had the best retention of my life in crochet braids. I retained every inch. I think part of the reason was because I was wetting my hair every day. If the synthetic hair got tangled, I would dump my whole head under the shower resulting in my own hair getting wet too.

Anyone know someone in LA who does these? Someone who knows about hair health too?

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I need to learn how ya'll DC in crochet sets (mine was a part sew-in as well), because my hair was DRYYYY during take down.....
IDK if you're still around and doing these @LightEyedMami, but....

I got a whole crochet braid reggi... my hair comes out very soft, moisturized, and tangle-free. The real trick is to RINSE rinse rinse to be sure you remove all product from under the cornrow or your scalp can get itchy.

1. Divide the hair at each track, if I have time, I will but the hair on each track in a little bun.
  2. Cowash (or shampoo if you prefer) scalp and the tracks first.
  3. Squeeze the wash through the buns or let it run through the extension.
  4. Slap on the DC on the tracks & leave it in for however long.
  5. Moisturize and seal tracks with light products DAILY.
I use human hair and find that it needs to be sulfate shampoo'd from time to time from buildup. I do NOT get the 'poo on my tracks. I shampoo the extensions separate then put the DC on.

Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
As an aside, I've been doing this 3 months and retained a LOT.

Going to add baggying with tea spritzs and oil during the night. Crochets seem to be perfect for this!

Funmiloves

Ladies, I've returned to my first love of crochet braids It's been fun playing with my own hair, but now it's time to hide it away.

http://youtu.be/sWUKUWeH08Q

Attachments

• IMAG3091.jpg
    IMAG3091.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 379
  • IMAG3092.jpg
    IMAG3092.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 294
  • IMAG3096.jpg
    IMAG3096.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 266
  • IMAG3098.jpg
    IMAG3098.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 215

mshoneyfly

Funmiloves
I subscribed too!! I like the Way you tie the knots at the base of the braid. It seems really secure. I plan to do this style the week after Mothers Day

Funmiloves

Thank you soooo much for these videos!!! Everything was easy to understand. And the maintenance seems easy. How long will this last you Funmiloves? Also I subscribed! :)

Babygrowth I kept these in for just a month, apart from getting bored very easily with my hair styles (hence the cheap extensions:grin:) I've also started to run and these got to hot:ohwell:

Bbbuuuuttt - I immediately redid another set, using Afro Kinky hair (much easier for my running) :yep: Will upload pics/ video hopefully tonight.

ETA - Thanks for subbing

Angelicus

AFashionSlave , I always loved your crochet locs. I have been interested in getting this for years. Do you know where I can buy crochet loc hair online? Can someone help? I'm desparate.

AFashionSlave

AFashionSlave , I always loved your crochet locs. I have been interested in getting this for years. Do you know where I can buy crochet loc hair online? Can someone help? I'm desparate.

Anky,
I'm not sure. My braider had the hair in stock. The locs came on a track and she stitched it onto my cornrows. Sorry hun. I don't have anymore information.

SkySurfer

Current crochet braids :) (i know my face is shining like a beacon, the curse of greasy skin lol)

Recently discovered i like bohemian braid better than water wave..don't know why, because they're basically the same curl...

I use a mix of 1,1b and 2 for a natural look, and layer it with the longest pieces on the bottom.

Attachments

• Photo on 30-04-2013 at 13.49.jpg
    Photo on 30-04-2013 at 13.49.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 331
  • Photo on 30-04-2013 at 13.53.jpg
    Photo on 30-04-2013 at 13.53.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 281
  • Photo on 16-05-2013 at 15.12 #2.jpg
    Photo on 16-05-2013 at 15.12 #2.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 266
  • Photo on 30-04-2013 at 13.50.jpg
    Photo on 30-04-2013 at 13.50.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:

Creatividual

I looooove crochet braids! I have been doing them for years. THe past two years I strayed from them but I'm coming back to them, they are an excellent protective style for me. I'm putting a set back in this weekend or the next because I have natural hair with fine strands and to make my feasible goal of MBL by December or earlier, I have to leave it the heck alone so back to crochet braids I go. My hair responds really well to them and I retain most if not all of the growth/length when I do them regularly. I keep mine in for no more than a month/4 weeks.

Depending on what kind of hair I used, I can wash my hair in them and for obvious reasons, you have easy access to your scalp so washing is a breeze. If I use Marley hair, I don't wash my hair with them in but if the hair is more curly I will.

I plan to rock them all summer because I so want MBL, really, by my birthday 10/27.

YOu can see some pictures of different times I've done crochet braids here: http://www.agrlcanmac.com/search?q=crochet+braids

SkySurfer

I looooove crochet braids! I have been doing them for years. THe past two years I strayed from them but I'm coming back to them, they are an excellent protective style for me. I'm putting a set back in this weekend or the next because I have natural hair with fine strands and to make my feasible goal of MBL by December or earlier, I have to leave it the heck alone so back to crochet braids I go. My hair responds really well to them and I retain most if not all of the growth/length when I do them regularly. I keep mine in for no more than a month/4 weeks.

Depending on what kind of hair I used, I can wash my hair in them and for obvious reasons, you have easy access to your scalp so washing is a breeze. If I use Marley hair, I don't wash my hair with them in but if the hair is more curly I will.

I plan to rock them all summer because I so want MBL, really, by my birthday 10/27.

YOu can see some pictures of different times I've done crochet braids here: http://www.agrlcanmac.com/search?q=crochet+braids

i've liked your blog for a long time, good luck on your MBL goal!

Creatividual

SkySurfer Aww thank you and thank you. Glad you enjoy the blog. :grin: If I leave my hair alone while still taking good care of it, I'm confident I can make MBL by the end of this year. My crochet braids have never failed me yet!

mshoneyfly

Current crochet braids :) (i know my face is shining like a beacon, the curse of greasy skin lol)

Recently discovered i like bohemian braid better than water wave..don't know why, because they're basically the same curl...

I use a mix of 1,1b and 2 for a natural look, and layer it with the longest pieces on the bottom.

SkySurfer
Gurl, when you get to be my age, you'll thank the Lord for that oily skin. Its preserving your youth, lol!! I was the same way :) In the meantime those little packs of papers work instantly.

I love your hair, btw. Im doin mine this weekend. What brand of hair is that? I like it and the way you used shorter pieces in front.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Shoot.

Ya'll and these beautiful crochets make me wanna skip my henna treatment and run right to the BSS for some coily hair. And I just might before I pick up DD and start tonight!