Lets Talk about Crochet Braids.....

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I'm convinced. Bought some hair and gonna take pics when it's done. I bought Outre Vivid. Its really really soft and bouncy. I left synthetic because I can be allergic, but I just gotta try with this brand.

It's weave. But I've found I like the tighter coils better and dont usually find them in bulk braiding hair. I just cut it off the track. It's usually shorter (18-20") but I keep it in a NL-SL bob anyway,

Outre Vivid, Bohemian

mshoneyfly

I'm convinced. Bought some hair and gonna take pics when it's done. I bought Outre Vivid. Its really really soft and bouncy. I left synthetic because I can be allergic, but I just gotta try with this brand.

It's weave. But I've found I like the tighter coils better and dont usually find them in bulk braiding hair. I just cut it off the track. It's usually shorter (18-20") but I keep it in a NL-SL bob anyway,

Outre Vivid, Bohemian

Ohh this is some cute hair!! I cant wait to see the pics DarkJoy

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Done. I was worried about shortness so went back and actually found that hair in bulk. Here's the stats:

Preparation:
#Soaked hair an hour in 1cup white vinegar in sink of water. then a half hour in condish. Towel dried.
# 12 cornrows
# leave out edges

Install
# 6 hrs
# 2packs with length cut in half. If you wanted the full length it would be 4 packs.
# $ 10 per pack. Best synthetic ever. No tangle. No shine. Feels and acts like human hair. This kicks all other synthetic arse!

Love it! Will see how long this hair acts right.

I look blah. Getting over the flu.

ForumRunner_20130517_155803.jpg

ForumRunner_20130517_155835.jpg

ForumRunner_20130517_155908.jpg
mshoneyfly

mshoneyfly

Done. I was worried about shortness so went back and actually found that hair in bulk. Here's the stats:

Preparation:
#Soaked hair an hour in 1cup white vinegar in sink of water. then a half hour in condish. Towel dried.
# 12 cornrows
# leave out edges

Install
# 6 hrs
# 2packs with length cut in half. If you wanted the full length it would be 4 packs.
# $ 10 per pack. Best synthetic ever. No tangle. No shine. Feels and acts like human hair. This kicks all other synthetic arse!

Love it! Will see how long this hair acts right.

I look blah. Getting over the flu.

mshoneyfly

Awww DarkJoy, I hope you feel better soon!! Maybe you'll feel like taking pics tomorrow. I'm prepping my hair and my fake hair right now!!

mshoneyfly

You cant see the pics? They are attached to the message mshoneyfly

Oh I can see them now!! IDK why I couldn't see before. I love it! That wavy hair really does a good job of hiding the braids. Its such pretty hair and it looks so natural.

My daughter convinced me to follow my first mind and get the reg bulk kankeolon instead of wavy hair. Im gonna blow dry it on low once I get it installed. Wish me luck!!

ceecy29

Current crochet braids :) (i know my face is shining like a beacon, the curse of greasy skin lol)

Recently discovered i like bohemian braid better than water wave..don't know why, because they're basically the same curl...

I use a mix of 1,1b and 2 for a natural look, and layer it with the longest pieces on the bottom.

Oh you're gorgeous!!! SkySurfer #naijagirlskillingit.

I need details though. How many cornrows do you have in and what pattern? Did you cut the hair in half or just put in the entire length?

TIA!!!

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Oh I can see them now!! IDK why I couldn't see before. I love it! That wavy hair really does a good job of hiding the braids. Its such pretty hair and it looks so natural.

My daughter convinced me to follow my first mind and get the reg bulk kankeolon instead of wavy hair. Im gonna blow dry it on low once I get it installed. Wish me luck!!
Good luck! And share pics when you're done! :yep:

Babygrowth

That wavy hair really does a good job of hiding the braids. Its such pretty hair and it looks so natural.

This right here is true. I can see and feel my gaps and rows very good with this silky jumbo braid hair I used. Next time I will use hair that is curly/wavy. I did braid it and dip it in hot water so its wavy now and gives me better coverage but I will not use straight hair again! There's no way I'm keeping this in for more than 3 weeks. But I will wash DC than reinstall within 2 days...

SkySurfer

SkySurfer
Gurl, when you get to be my age, you'll thank the Lord for that oily skin. Its preserving your youth, lol!! I was the same way :) In the meantime those little packs of papers work instantly.

I love your hair, btw. Im doin mine this weekend. What brand of hair is that? I like it and the way you used shorter pieces in front.

Heya mshoneyfly. Haha, lemme start thanking Him now!

I used the aftress bohemy braid for this set.
I tend to go between that and the bohemian braid from freetress or glance model model :)

SkySurfer

Oh you're gorgeous!!! SkySurfer #naijagirlskillingit.

I need details though. How many cornrows do you have in and what pattern? Did you cut the hair in half or just put in the entire length?

TIA!!!

Heya! Thanks ceecy29 :)

Haha, I'm Ivorian, but we're all repping West Africa!!

I have 10 big cornrows at the back, and I only split the top two cornrows at the top to have a closer part. So 12 small cornrows at the front going into the 10 at the back. I'm bad at explaining lol.
It's braided straight back, no fuss no muss. And I crochet in hair to secure the ends. I'm BSB, nearing BSL so I need them ends TUCKED!
I put in the entire length to allow for freedom of cutting and shaping to the length I want. At the front I use the pack cut in half to save hair. I find that some shorter pieces in front gives a more natural look.

I used to cut the pack in half for my whole head but it goes so POOFY, I don't like it after a while.

I generally use about 2.5 packs of hair for my whole head NOT cutting it in half. I use about 1.5 packs if I cut it in half. I'm pretty light handed with my crochet placement. Makes for less bulk and easier taking down of the style, as well as saving money. You just have to make sure the right areas are covered well so you don't see the braids (like the part, the back and you hanging cornrow ends if applicable).

Sorry for the late reply, hope this helps!! :)

Last edited:

ceecy29

Heya! Thanks ceecy29 :)

Haha, I'm Ivorian, but we're all repping West Africa!!

I have 10 big cornrows at the back, and I only split the top two cornrows at the top to have a closer part. So 12 small cornrows at the front going into the 10 at the back. I'm bad at explaining lol.
It's braided straight back, no fuss no muss. And I crochet in hair to secure the ends. I'm BSB, nearing BSL so I need them ends TUCKED!
I put in the entire length to allow for freedom of cutting and shaping to the length I want. At the front I use the pack cut in half to save hair. I find that some shorter pieces in front gives a more natural look.

I used to cut the pack in half for my whole head but it goes so POOFY, I don't like it after a while.

I generally use about 2.5 packs of hair for my whole head NOT cutting it in half. I use about 1.5 packs if I cut it in half. I'm pretty light handed with my crochet placement. Makes for less bulk and easier taking down of the style, as well as saving money. You just have to make sure the right areas are covered well so you don't see the braids (like the part, the back and you hanging cornrow ends if applicable).

Sorry for the late reply, hope this helps!! :)

Lol my bad SkySurfer I have you confused with someone else. It's all good though, still a gorgeous WA!

Thanks for the tips I def. will use them when installing cos I love everything about your install, esp. the flawless closure and the length. I'll let you know how it goes.

mshoneyfly

My dd is installing my crochets as we speak...I tried to do it myself but i didn't have good control of the hair. Shes more than halfway finished...I wanna eat a snack.

No matter what time she finishes I will post pics

ceecy29

You ladies gave me courage to try. Here's my first attempt using freetress deep twist mostly and some gogo curl.

image-923971328.jpg

ceecy29

You ladies gave me courage to try. Here's my first attempt using freetress deep twist mostly and some gogo curl.

Looks awesome! i like the length on you :)

Thanks!!! SkySurfer I cut each extension in half before installing. Afte installing, I didn't cut or shape it, I'm just glad it fell into a natural shape that I like because I'm not sure I would've been able to do a good job cutting and shaping.

I'll try bohemian next. Excited!!!:drunk:

mshoneyfly

My dd is installing my crochets as we speak...I tried to do it myself but i didn't have good control of the hair. Shes more than halfway finished...I wanna eat a snack.

No matter what time she finishes I will post pics

Okay so my crochets resulted in an EPIC FAIL!! I shoulda used the wavy hair to hide the knots so i took it down last night. It was just awful.

Anyway, I might just try again later.

ceecy29 your hair came out lovely!!

Last edited:

ceecy29

Okay so my crochets resulted in an EPIC FAIL!! I shoulda used the wavy hair to hide the knots so i took it down last night. It was just awful.

Anyway, I might just try again later.

ceecy29 your hair came out lovely!!

Thanks mshoneyfly !!! Just try again and watch as many youtube videos. The ones by mamitresses really helped. Come back and show us when you do.

Creatividual

Creatividual

They are a great protective style. What's your regimen while you're wearing them? :)

SkySurfer I don't do much. I oil my scalp only when it feels dry with a light oil. When I put them in again this weekend, I'll be using grape seed oil that I added eucalyptus essential oil to. If I use curly hair, I can wash or co-wash my hair in them once a week if I like and let it airdry. My scalp can be temperamental so I don't like putting much on it because it will build up so I don't spray it daily, only when it feels dry and that's it. This is the easiest style for me and my hair flourishes. If I can, I may do them all summer.

Babygrowth

I cant wait to do crochets again next week. I hope this curly hair covers the cornrows well this time. Straight hair is for when I become a little more advance! lol!

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I dont think straight works with crochets at all. Deep waves barely cut it. It has to be curly to kinky to hide those cornrows.

Dont forget to take pics!

OhTall1

I just got my crochet braids re-done this weekend. I went to a new person, and she put in 2.5 packs of Freetress Water Wave. It's way more diva-liscious than I'm used to, but I'm getting compliments, so it must look okay. :lol:

14oct2013.jpg

Funmiloves

I just got my crochet braids re-done this weekend. I went to a new person, and she put in 2.5 packs of Freetress Water Wave. It's way more diva-liscious than I'm used to, but I'm getting compliments, so it must look okay. :lol:

Very nice!

Rnjones

My second and most recent crochet set using freetress Brooke curl. Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Sorry. I don't know why my pics always come out every whichaway.

Attachments

• image-155386574.jpg
    image-155386574.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 262
  • image-4158721445.jpg
    image-4158721445.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 264
  • image-1619384515.jpg
    image-1619384515.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 215

ImanAdero

What is the takedown like with these? I want to try them, but don't want to mess around and *** up my hair with the take down.