Lets Talk about Crochet Braids.....

fancypants007

Has anyone used the new Freetress braid hair, natural twist? I just started seeing it in stores in the spring, but I've only seen 1 YouTube video and 1 pic on Pinterest where people have used it.

Pic from package

Pic from Pinterest

I saw a YouTube video using this hair and it was very pretty. I decided to get my last crochet install with this hair and it came out pretty. I brought the pic of model to my braider, but mine doesn't look like the model, but I still like it.

I think as crochet braids get older, they become better looking. I will post a pic of my crochet braids which I just got done last Saturday.

fancypants007

I love crochet braids. I got some in May and just took them out yesterday. I used Marley hair and people who didn't know me, thought it was my hair.

I also love crochet braids. I'm giving my hair a rest and will keep them in 2 months at a time and redo for at least a year. I'm hoping to get some good growth.

I love the crochet braids, because you can still be "cute". They have some adorable hair you can use. I have the natural loose twist in my hair now which I believe is fairly new. My next install I think I will be using jerry braid by Biba, or bohemian by outré.

I love this style of protecting hair and I'm hoping this low manipulation will help me retain some length.

SincerelyBeautiful

I just took out an install of crotchet braids that I had in for 6 weeks. I did kinky twist crotchets that I twisted myself before installing. I used Marley Afro hair. Here is a pic:

image-41403437.jpg

mzpurp

:wave::wave: everyone!!

I recently got some crotchet braids installed. I posted about them here (pics are attached to post).

I am still loving my hair!! I used the Freetress Bohemian Braid hair. I love that I don't have to do so much to maintain this style! I haven't washed them yet (will wash this weekend) but I did take some tea tree oil and apply it to some qtips and rub them through my parts. I'm going to leave them in about 2 more weeks and most likely get them reinstalled. I'm tired of doing my hair and I needed a break!

I got them done in MD for those of you who were looking for stylists in the DMV area! Any questions let me know!

nlamr2013

Oh I just put some in I'm really pleased with them. Made some mistakes but I still like it.

I'll try to get better pics later and pay no mind to my appearance lol

Last edited:

nlamr2013

OK pic wouldn't show up for some reason. Sigh

Attachments

• tumblr_n9rwhopXis1s3b1meo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n9rwhopXis1s3b1meo1_1280.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 190

nlamr2013

Cute!! What kind of hair did you use??

You can see it! Lol thanks! kanakelon hair(xpressions(2) and regular pack (1,1b) ) I would have used just the expression hair because it was enough but I realized after I had gotten to the front that I was using 2 instead of 1b like my hair color lol so I used half pack 1b and 1 to make it look more highlight/ombre.

Kalia1

I had mine installed last week. I really like them! I love the fact that I can still have access to my scalp. I used Freetress Deep Twist hair. If you search "Deep Twist crochet braids in the Youtube search engine you can get an idea of the hair.

OhTall1

I just got my crochet braids re-done over the weekend. I used Freetress Natural Twist in 4/30. It's looser than the Deep Twist, but it's still kind of silky. I'm not expecting it to last as long as Bohemian or Water Wave, but I definitely like it.

freetress natural twist 430.jpg

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Decided on some kinky straight. These are about to start 3rd week. Gonna take it out to DC. I also do a braid out. After a wash it loses the curl. Below is still wet so the braid out got washed out. Its a little flat. Lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140903_182808.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140903_182808.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 171
  • ForumRunner_20140903_182826.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140903_182826.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

sgold04

I am now in my third set of crochet braids/kinky twists since July. I'm afraid to go longer than 4 weeks because I work out frequently, and I'm not sure if matting will be a problem. The last 2 times I also had the front of my hair in individuals, I loved the look, but I was afraid to wash it and have my real hair come out of the twists and become fuzzy in the front. So I took them out after 3-4 weeks to wash my hair.

This time my entire head is cornrowed. I'm not happy with the install so far. She did the cornrows to the side instead of straight back in the front, so there is about a 1.5/2 inch gap where my part is. I used freetress Marley hair instead of finger comber hair, but I think I will try finger comber hair again (I was looking for a cheaper alternative), it has more volume and looks natural. 5 packs wasn't enough so we had to cut the hair in half, it's too short for my tastes. Next time I will get the cornrows straight back and hope there isn't a huge gap.

BEAUTYU2U

I think this will be my fall/winter style. I had Freetress Bohemian in for 3 weeks ... 2 packs cut in half, one black, one two tone ... loved it.

I had a friend braid my hair and I installed myself. I like that I can get to my scalp. I oiled like crazy and when I took them down, my hair was crazy soft. I'm letting my scalp "breathe" for a week then re-installing.

BEAUTYU2U

I did my second set of crochet braids. I really need to learn to be a little less heavy handed with the hair. It was huge when I was done. I cut a lot off and it is still big. I think I need to do 2 things differently next time. I need less braids and tighter braids. I put in about 12 braids which on my head are super tiny. Because they were tiny I couldn't braid as close to the scalp as I would have liked (I'm not a great braider) and all those rows mean a lot of extension hair added. I had a similar amount of braids when I did the crocket kinky twists and that thing was massive. I was originally going for puffy twists look but had to switch to kinky twist twisting method b/c of the size. Anywho, pics below.

no flash

flash

close up of part

kandiekj100 - I know it's been several months but do you remember what kind of hair you used for this look?

Babygrowth

This wknd I will be doing crochet braids. I'm sooo excited! I've done weaves and Marley twists now its back to crochet braids. I will rock these until December. This is the main style I would like to rock without too much tension on my edges.

Petite One

I apologize if this has been answered before but are crochet braids latch hook braids? I only ask because that's what my circle here in Detroit calls them and I'm only asking for clarity...

SunRai Naturals

^^Yes that's another name for them. The tool that is sold at the beauty supply stores to attach the hair to your cornrow is called a latch hook.