Let's talk about grease

Mz.MoMo5235

does grease really stop the hair from growing

jennifer30 No, it was bad hair practices that went with the grease that stopped people from retaining (unless you have a medical condition like alopecia or some type of pattern baldness, your hair doesnt stop growing).

With the right product for your hair and scalp along with the proper reggie, hair grease is greatly beneficial to a lot of people.

Make sure you clarify and use good stuff under the grease to insure great hair growth

jennifer30

@jennifer30 No, it was bad hair practices that went with the grease that stopped people from retaining (unless you have a medical condition like alopecia or some type of pattern baldness, your hair doesnt stop growing).

With the right product for your hair and scalp along with the proper reggie, hair grease is greatly beneficial to a lot of people.

Make sure you clarify and use good stuff under the grease to insure great hair growth
oh I see. thanks.:grin: I love grease

Mz.MoMo5235

@coolsista-paris I get raw shea butter and melt it down and once its liquid I mix evco, co, evoo, and eo. Put it in a container and let it solidify and boom. Hair grease. I will also cheat sometimes and add some doo gro hair grease to that mix if I happen to have any around the house.

krissyhair

I think grease was essential to saving my hair after I went swimming today. Sometimes after swimming I can get severe dryness, crunchiness and sometimes breakage

After the pool, I shampooed gently, rinsed with olive oil, conditioned for about 5 minutes in the shower, then rinsed thoroughly. After the shower I added more of the same conditioner as a leave in and insulated the moisture in with blue magic coconut grease.

It must have worked because after I air dried, I had some soft shiny hair. For good measure though I used Carol's Daughter tui hair sheen.

coolsista-paris

@coolsista-paris I get raw shea butter and melt it down and once its liquid I mix evco, co, evoo, and eo. Put it in a container and let it solidify and boom. Hair grease. I will also cheat sometimes and add some doo gro hair grease to that mix if I happen to have any around the house.

oh . then used to make grease without knowing. i used to do that. mix raw shea + oils.
i think i already tried adding aloe vera too. lol it was nice, it just would not stay that long if left outside a fridge.
so wihout aloe its stays longer outside

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I don't refresh with grease. My hair is not greasy at all yet still more manageable than usual. The wash day will be the true test. My hair is no dirtier. So, I feel grease so far has been useful. I have fewer ssk's. i am ready to kiss those off so if grease washes out with the options I have on hand it will become not a staple, but an HG. I will use it to seal in great leave ins on wash day and use other things to refresh throughout the week.

Kindheart

I swear by Jane Carter Nourishing pomade . It's excellent for retaining moisture and protect hair from heat and harsh environmental factors. The next day my hair is soft and smooth.

Mz.MoMo5235

oh . then used to make grease without knowing. i used to do that. mix raw shea + oils.
i think i already tried adding aloe vera too. lol it was nice, it just would not stay that long if left outside a fridge.
so wihout aloe its stays longer outside

If you have the access you can also add bees wax :lick: Makes for some awesome hair grease!!!

Some people say the shea butter mixed with oils is just "whipped butters" but I think it depends on the end consistency that determines if it becomes a grease of a whip. To me whips are lighter containing more oils than butter. Where as what I do has more butter than oils.

coolsista-paris have you thought of adding honey? Its a natural preservative so will allow things to last longer.

Honestly I have had a tub of my home made grease last a full year (I made one years worth to take with me to India because I wasnt sure if I could get all the ingredients. I was right)

Pennefeather

Wow. I read all of this thread. Do they still make Ultra Sheen? We used to use the green one for dry hair when I was a kid.

I was regularly using ORS hair oil until a few months ago, when I purchased a new jar. It seemed to me that the smell changed, and it was more of a chemical smell, which turned me off. Since then, I have been experimenting with "hair moisturizers" that are water based. I know that everyone raves about Annabelle's Perfect Blends, but I haven't been that impressed so far. The main reason I'm not thrilled about them is that they don't provide the sheen that I'm used to from an oil based product.

Now I'm thinking that I may just mix in some grease to use them up.

So many of you have said that you switched from grease because of the information that you read on the forum. I think that we are right in taking another look at this. Millions of black women used grease all of their lives, and had beautiful hair, and more money in their pockets. :yep:

I'm going back to grease.

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
I purchased 2 different types of grease. The Coconut Blue Magic & Super Gro by Africa's Best. I like the smell of Africa's Best better. I mix both before I flat twist my hair before I go to bed.

I'm loving how soft my hair feels.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I love this one too. I used it when I first started my hair journey, it's actually the very first product I purchased after reading the hair boards. Castor oil was everywhere lol Of course it's not the "real stuff"

Yep one of my 3 favs when I had a bob. Never put them on my scalp but my hair was slick! lol

Last edited:

prettybyrd

i am ready to kiss those off so if grease washes out with the options I have on hand it will become not a staple, but an HG.

I think that I am ready to declare grease my HG product - and for the first time in my five year HHJ - it is my first and only one.

Right now my hair is very shiny and I keep touching it expecting oily fingers, but there is none. I think if someone had taught me how to use grease (properly) back in the day, I would never have stopped. My hair looks and feels so soft.

I should change my avatar pic to a jar of grease. :grin:

krissyhair

I think that I am ready to declare grease my HG product - and for the first time in my five year HHJ - it is my first and only one.

Right now my hair is very shiny and I keep touching it expecting oily fingers, but there is none. I think if someone had taught me how to use grease (properly) back in the day, I would never have stopped. My hair looks and feels so soft.

I should change my avatar pic to a jar of grease. :grin:

I had this same exact thought today. I rarely purchase the same hair product twice, and since 2009 being on this hair journey, trying all different types of things, the grease is the only thing I can say made a huge, measurable difference when I'm wearing my unstretched natural hair.

SoleilChica

I started using grease a few months ago and love it! I use Blue Magic Organics Indian Hemp. I mix in some castor oil and several drops of peppermint oil. My ends are thanking me for bringing grease back into our lives.

image-1092295439.jpg

Mz.MoMo5235

Girl I know what you mean. I actually removed grease from my reggie for years and was ok with it. But when I moved and the dry heat started to take its toll on my hair I knew I had to do something. So I figured by sealing with grease I had a better chance of retaining my hairs moisture.

I just have to be careful not to get it too close to my scalp. My scalp has grown accustomed to being nakey and if there is more than very light oil on it I get build up like crazy and it will itch and flake

SoleilChica

Girl I know what you mean. I actually removed grease from my reggie for years and was ok with it. But when I moved and the dry heat started to take its toll on my hair I knew I had to do something. So I figured by sealing with grease I had a better chance of retaining my hairs moisture. I just have to be careful not to get it too close to my scalp. My scalp has grown accustomed to being nakey and if there is more than very light oil on it I get build up like crazy and it will itch and flake

I wish I would have done this sooner. I think it would have saved me from a major set back this past winter. Live, discover and learn. Now grease is a staple.

natural2008

I've been using grease more now and love it :). Going back to what the old folks used in the good ole days grease and water. Had a healthy head of long hair yelp. Since I've been using grease I've noticed I don't have to always mess with my hair like I did when I was using just oil. Looooove it. I'm currently using royal crown but have blue magic and all other types. I'm so mad I became a pj all these darn products I have and I now only use grease. Could change though. I don't plan to purchase anymore products. I'll try to use all this here mess I have geeeeh, lol.

TeeMartini

Hey ladies. So I've read through this thread and agree. I think grease is definitely needed more in my hair care. Iam natural with a few ends of relaxed hair that I want to chop but iam not brave enough yet. I usually apply Kuza Indian Hemp or Blue Magic Coconut to my scalp after washing and blow drying. How and where are you ladies applying your grease? To the length of your hair and ends, avoiding the scalp?

Last edited:

Mz.MoMo5235

I've been using grease more now and love it :). Going back to what the old folks used in the good ole days grease and water. Had a healthy head of long hair yelp. Since I've been using grease I've noticed I don't have to always mess with my hair like I did when I was using just oil. Looooove it. I'm currently using royal crown but have blue magic and all other types. I'm so mad I became a pj all these darn products I have and I now only use grease. Could change though. I don't plan to purchase anymore products. I'll try to use all this here mess I have geeeeh, lol.

If you have a lot of oils you're trying to run through you can mix it with the grease

charmtreese

I sealed my hair with Tropical Isle Jamaican black hair food (i think this is the name) on saturday and my hair has been soft and supple ever since. I think Im going to make this my staple sealer. Im not sure if it classifies as a grease, it does contain wax though.

krissyhair

Hey ladies. So I've read through this thread and agree. I think grease is definitely needed more in my hair care. Iam natural with a few ends of relaxed hair that I want to chop but iam not brave enough yet. I usually apply Kuza Indian Hemp or Blue Magic Coconut to my scalp after washing and blow drying. How and where are you ladies applying your grease? To the length of your hair and ends, avoiding the scalp?

Just for me the ends, dry/frizzy parts and the edges.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
sn: forgot about grease and feet. My heels were looking busted. Shoot I slathered them up with my hair grease after scrubbing since its the only petro product in the house. Put thick socks on. Looks soooooo much better and softer.

prettybyrd

In the winter, I use a very small amount on my scalp because it gets so dry. I just put a small amount on my fingertips and massage it throughout my hair.

I have massaged some grease on my scalp since then, and I have to admit, I didn't hate it. I have very dry scalp and a little oil helps.

Primarily, I add the grease to my hair and very ends. Especially the ends. I baby them like crazy.

I'm curious about the Kuza Indian Hemp, what are the ingredients?

ETA: TeeMartini, your hair looks great in your avi!